Etrian Odyssey Untold is old school done right.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#1 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I haven't played any of the other games, but I'm a good chunk into Untold (just got to the Third Stratum) and I'm really surprised. The game is clearly old school as well - you even have to draw your own map- but it feels new. I can't really place my finger on it, but I never really get annoyed when playing it (outside the odd back to back encounter), which is strange for something so rooted in the past. Honestly, it makes me want to play more of the series.

What's the forum got to say about it?

wonder6192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 wonder6192
Member since 2014 • 33 Posts

i think you can have the game automatically fill in the map for you. once you beat untold, get etrian odyssey 4. it came out before untold.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 turtlethetaffer

@wonder6192: Honestly I love filling out the map. It's surprisingly fun and addicting. And trust me, I've heard about the setting for EO 4 and I wanna play it after Untold.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

@wonder6192: Honestly I love filling out the map. It's surprisingly fun and addicting. And trust me, I've heard about the setting for EO 4 and I wanna play it after Untold.

Yeah the map thing is kind of addicting... somehow, haha. I just got to the second stratum but with Bravely Default coming I dont know if I'll continue it

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 turtlethetaffer

@Kaze_no_Mirai: My issue too. Plus my semester is filled with a lot of crap so IDK if I'll be able to actually beat either game.

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

Yep I love Etrian Odyssey. Untold is a marvelous remake too. I am going through the fifth stratum now with well over 100 hours in. This game is MUCH longer and harder than 4, the overworld system makes it easier since most caves are pretty small compared to a dungeon floor. I just wonder if they will remake 2 and 3 for the 3DS too. That would milking though.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 turtlethetaffer

@Sora278: I'm playing the story mode on the standard (normal) difficulty. I'm at the third stratum and have about 25 hours. Are the remaining three really going to take 75 hours? Or were you playing Classic Mode? I heard that it's much more grind intensive...

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sora278

No I am playing it on Expert so that makes it a lot more difficult and more grinding. Also the third stratum took the longest, especially that horrible boss.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 turtlethetaffer

@Sora278: Oh, great, I'm looking forward to it :P

The only enemy I've found to be really annoying so far are the Blue defenders. All those guys do is spam Gale to up their evasiveness. It's seriously annoying. Apart from that I've found most of the bosses to be quite manageable. Although I am playing Story Mode and apparently that makes the game easier...

I think? Not really sure.

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sora278

@turtlethetaffer: So confident then play it on Expert. It makes it far more interesting trust me, any time can be your death if you are not smart about what you do. No honestly I do not see how story and classic are different from each other past the start and how the team classes are set up.