DS/3DS Games with best storylines

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

I've decided to quit online multiplayer, atleast for now, and focus more on story driven games. I have professor layton, the mario RPGs, pokemon mystery dungeon, and ordered 999. So what other DS or 3DS games would you reccomend for someone looking for a deep, interesting, and even emotional story to experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
After you're done with 999, Virtues last reward is a given. I also enjoyed the story of The World Ends With You.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
I'm a firm believer in Hotel Dusk.
Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, Last Window (Dusk sequel) - all made my Cing

Zero Escape 999 and, after that, its 3DS/Vita sequel Virtue's Last Reward - Thank me and whoever else recommended this later.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

And about Layton. Unwound Future's story and ending WILL make you emotional as it starts to wrap up.

"What a twist!" - M. Night

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

Any of the Dragon Quest Games IV, V, VI, IX. I love them all but my personal favorite is V. Where else can you start as a kid and his dad, grow up, chose a wife, marry and have kids of your own, all while fighting the baddies and the bosses to make the world a better place?

Rune Factory 3. Really good storyline, lots of interesting characters. The best of the Rune Factorys.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Nothing beats Radiant Historia when it comes to storyline. It has one of the best in any game I've played, ever.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Ace Attorney series.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#9 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

So I've played 999 and am almost done w/ Virtue's Last Reward. One thing I really like about these game is the very grim atmosphere they have. Do any of the visual novel type games mentioned have a similar feel to them? It seems like the Layton series is kind of cute and charming in comparison but I haven't played any of it. How about the Ace Attourney series? I already have Hotel Dusk on deck...

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng

So I've played 999 and am almost done w/ Virtue's Last Reward. One thing I really like about these game is the very grim atmosphere they have. Do any of the visual novel type games mentioned have a similar feel to them? It seems like the Layton series is kind of cute and charming in comparison but I haven't played any of it. How about the Ace Attourney series? I already have Hotel Dusk on deck...

logicalfrank
Ace Attorney is far from grim. There is a reason why it's doing the collaboration with Layton series....
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#11 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Devil Survivor 1 and 2.

If you go for the first one, get the enhanced port for the 3DS, Overclocked.

Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Will47
Member since 2007 • 6824 Posts
Yeah I'm just going to have to repeat the 999/VLR thing. I played both of them over this holiday break and was blown away.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
999 (and i'm guessing VLR as well, since it's a direct sequel) is not only the best story on the DS, it's among my favorite stories ever. i put it on par with my favorite books. it's an excellently written thriller, and pretty emotional too. it also has a very unique plot mechanic, in that you have to achieve all the endings to figure out the plot, and then move to the "true" ending, where all your questions are answered in a surprising way. so don't make the mistake of thinking you're done with it just because you reached an ending. i'm not one to cry over stories myself, but i was pretty down during certain parts of 999, and i've had a friend tell me that one part in 999 and another in VLR had him crying, like, a lot. it's very intense, but very rewarding as well, in a way. moving to something more gamey, the world ends with you is one of my favorites on the DS. come to think of it, it uses a similar plot mechanic to 999, but much more linear and less "groundhog day" in that regard.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BrunoBRS

Nothing beats Radiant Historia when it comes to storyline. It has one of the best in any game I've played, ever.

nintendofreak_2
well, do yourself a favor and get into the Zero Escape games then. i mean, i'm sure radiant historia is pretty good (wouldn't have ordered it otherwise), but i find it hard to believe it can top 999. quite a rollercoaster that game.
LJChronx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJChronx
Member since 2003 • 954 Posts

nintendofreak_2

This. But I havent played 999.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

well, do yourself a favor and get into the Zero Escape games then. i mean, i'm sure radiant historia is pretty good (wouldn't have ordered it otherwise), but i find it hard to believe it can top 999. quite a rollercoaster that game.BrunoBRS
What I saw from the gameplay it's just not my kind of game. I can't see myself getting into it.

Radiant Historia was just so refreshing when I played it, and mind you this was literally a week or two after I had finished Xenoblade. It's story really is something I find really special throughout and it only gets better and better as the game progresses.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#17 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Radiant Historia, Knights in the Nightmare, Final Fantasy IV, Dragon Quest V, Okamiden, Solatorobo all have compelling stories. Also there is a text driven game known as Theresia made by Axys who also made the famous 999. Theresia is deeply flawed but the story is well worth it and quite unique. Also Dragon Quest VI's story is quite good, but more for the concept then the emotion. My favorite story out of the oens listed there is Knights in the Nightmare, followed closely by Radiant Historia. Both have really unique and interesting stories, along with a great cast.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 funsohng
[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"]

BrunoBRS
well, do yourself a favor and get into the Zero Escape games then. i mean, i'm sure radiant historia is pretty good (wouldn't have ordered it otherwise), but i find it hard to believe it can top 999. quite a rollercoaster that game.

Lol anime game.
HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 is a great option if you enjoy strategy games. Its story is generic and similar to the first prequel on the GBA, but you can sink many hours into between all the missions and classes for the characters.

Highly recommend Hotel Dusk and the Layton series as others have.

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Yoshi9000

And about Layton. Unwound Future's story and ending WILL make you emotional as it starts to wrap up.

Aero5555

yeah, I've heard. I've only played last specter and playing miracle mask now. I almost feel like skipping the first two to play unwound future. I'm also very curious about the time traveling mystery and how that will unfold

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Yoshi9000

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into hotel dusk, radiant historia, and knights in the nightmare. I also thought about chrono trigger, but I'm not sure how bad it has aged considering it is a SNES game. I'm fine with the graphics though.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Paper Mario Sticker Star has a pretty basic storyline, but the adventure is always full of charm and humorous dialogue. I'm actually really loving the game both for the journey and gameplay.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 turtlethetaffer

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into hotel dusk, radiant historia, and knights in the nightmare. I also thought about chrono trigger, but I'm not sure how bad it has aged considering it is a SNES game. I'm fine with the graphics though.

Yoshi9000

Chrono Trigger is still amazing. I played it for the first time like three years ago and it has aged very well, trust me. I was blown away. Also, Knights in the Nightmare is very complicated in its gameplay... Do A LOT of research on it onlne before playing it... It's essentially a hybrid of RTS and Bullet Hell shooters, but there is a ton of micromanaging and factors to consider. Definitely a thinking man's game. But the complexity makes it all the more rewarding. And about radiant Historia... Just play it. Even if you don't like JRPGs, it lacks what most haters hate about the genre. (Random encounters, dull battle system.) All enemies are seen on screen and the battle system is qite fun and strategic, providing a good challenge but never being too tough. Just keeps you on your toes. And the story is simply awesome, especially the main character. He starts out as a loner, like in many JRPGs but, unlike many JRPGs, he grows in a lot of meaningful ways. Both games are amazing in their own ways.

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

[QUOTE="Aero5555"]

Yoshi9000

yeah, I've heard. I've only played last specter and playing miracle mask now. I almost feel like skipping the first two to play unwound future. I'm also very curious about the time traveling mystery and how that will unfold

I would recommend playing through in order - especially if you've played Last Spectre and starting Miracle Mask due to the timeline.

Last Spectre > Miracle Mask > New 3DS Layton due in Japan Feb 28 (apparently) > Curious Village > Diabolical Box > Unwound Future. There is the movie called the Eternal Diva, but people debate its location due to characters and plot (I personally haven't seen it).

I have only played through the Curious Village to Unwound Future trilogy and Unwound Future easily has the more emotional story and ending. I should really get around to playing Last Spectre and Miracle Mask soon:|.

jimbokong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jimbokong
Member since 2008 • 260 Posts

golden sun : dark dawn

darkziosj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 darkziosj
Member since 2006 • 166 Posts

999 and virtues last reward for sure

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]well, do yourself a favor and get into the Zero Escape games then. i mean, i'm sure radiant historia is pretty good (wouldn't have ordered it otherwise), but i find it hard to believe it can top 999. quite a rollercoaster that game.nintendofreak_2

What I saw from the gameplay it's just not my kind of game. I can't see myself getting into it.

doing it wrong. i was pretty skeptic of it myself, but dude. DUDE. plus, it's a visual novel, it's more a book than a game (though it has some point & click segments in it). you're playing it for the story. also the demo suuuuuuuuuucks.

golden sun : dark dawn

jimbokong
i'm a golden sun fan and even i can say it's a pretty standard story :P most of my enjoyment from the game was because i was already invested in the world.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BrunoBRS

Also there is a text driven game known as Theresia made by Axys who also made the famous 999.

turtlethetaffer
*Aksys and they're just the publisher, albeit one of my favorite publishers :P they also publish blazblue and the bit.trip series, as well as the zero escape games. and their logo looks like the watches from 999 :o
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

Also there is a text driven game known as Theresia made by Axys who also made the famous 999.

BrunoBRS

*Aksys and they're just the publisher, albeit one of my favorite publishers :P they also publish blazblue and the bit.trip series, as well as the zero escape games. and their logo looks like the watches from 999 :o

Ah my mistake. Either way they were involved in both games.

LOSTLEAD8R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

#30 LOSTLEAD8R
Member since 2009 • 473 Posts

AA series for DS

999 series for DS/3DS

Kid Icarus Uprising for 3DS

yeebsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 yeebsey
Member since 2010 • 180 Posts

finding a copy of 999 in the uk is next to impossible.

having to get it shipped in from the states as im desperate to play.

have VLR already but not touching till i finish 999

just playing an epicly long waiting game for it to arrive

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BrunoBRS

finding a copy of 999 in the uk is next to impossible.

having to get it shipped in from the states as im desperate to play.

have VLR already but not touching till i finish 999

just playing an epicly long waiting game for it to arrive

yeebsey
I heard 999 never got an EU localization, that might be it.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Elite Beat Agents!!! :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"]

funsohng

Lol anime game.

your doing yourself a huge disservice by writing off a great story because of an art styIe.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] well, do yourself a favor and get into the Zero Escape games then. i mean, i'm sure radiant historia is pretty good (wouldn't have ordered it otherwise), but i find it hard to believe it can top 999. quite a rollercoaster that game.

Lol anime game.

your doing yourself a huge disservice by writing off a great story because of an art styIe.

he's a friend, he's been hearing me praise the game for at least a month. don't take his post as anything more than nagging :P