DS won't turn on, can charge

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ammar-Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ammar-Q
Member since 2010 • 56 Posts
Title pretty much explains my problem here...

When charged the orange light will come on and it will charge, though turning it on is another story. I can't in any way turn the ds on. I've tried taking out whatever game I was playing and also tried turning it on with the charger in. Nothing.

I dropped it from quite a height (my shoulder height), which caused it as it didn't turn on after it was dropped. It was in a padded case though which confuses me on how this could have happened.

Btw it's a DS lite, not the phat or DSi.Anyone have an idea on what the problem might be?:(
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

That does sound werid, maybe something moved inside after the fall? How old is it maybe the battery is dead?

ugoo18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ugoo18
Member since 2010 • 1005 Posts

Same thing happened to my sister's DSi, try bending the screen back a bit when turning it on that's how i got her's to turn on.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

That does sound werid, maybe something moved inside after the fall? How old is it maybe the battery is dead?

Cruse34
That's something I was thinking too. Maybe some jigged loose when it dropped (have you heard anything rattling round in there since the drop?) or depending on how long you had it (that or either incredibly dumb luck) the battery could just have gone bad therefore it may not charge anymore.
awesomejdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 awesomejdude
Member since 2008 • 4811 Posts

If his battery was dead, it would still power up when plugged in.

I would probably guess you knocked something out inside.

zemiguelsantos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zemiguelsantos
Member since 2005 • 600 Posts
Happened to me! If you try to power it on while charging, does if emit a distorted sound for a split second? if it does probably you have to sent it for repair because a fuse broke! If not maybe it's a battery or even a power button thing. Hope you can fix it.
Ammar-Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ammar-Q

Late reply but so far I'm guessing the battery being dead is ruled out.

There is no distorted sound so that's ruled out.

Though when I shake it, I hear something rattling inside. It seems like something really small though from what I can tell.

Only problem here is I have no idea what to do if I open it, and how to fix whatever problem there is.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PumpkinBoogie

Late reply but so far I'm guessing the battery being dead is ruled out.

There is no distorted sound so that's ruled out.

Though when I shake it, I hear something rattling inside. It seems like something really small though from what I can tell.

Only problem here is I have no idea what to do if I open it, and how to fix whatever problem there is.

Ammar-Q

Yeah, I had a feeling it would be something like that.

Hmm, I'm trying to picture what on the motherboard it could be that dislodged--as I recently opened my ds lite (well for case modding purposes, nothing was broken or anything....not counting when accidentally effed my touch screen up though, lol. i did fix that don't worry) and I'm trying to remember some of the parts that could possibly come loose like that.

Does the green (or red if it's not charged or if something is wrong) light still come on, at all, when you slide the power button or is that not working either?

The only thing I would say is, if you feel comfortable in you electronics disassembling skills (and it's no longer in warranty)--then I'd say take it apart. Hey, after all it's already broken for the most part, so you can't do no more harm to see. If nothing else but to see what it is that has broken off. You may not know exactly what to do but then again there are mounts of things on the internet (I go to youtube often for good tuts on repairing) and forums that can help you figure out what to do once you can identify what it is that's broken.

....or if all else fails (or you don't feel like going through the trouble depending on how old your system is) then you could always pick up another ds lite on the cheap from somewhere like Ebay or whatever.

Ammar-Q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ammar-Q

Nope no green light. By the sound that's coming from the rattling I'd describe it as similar to something like shaking a pin in a jar, glass etc.

Well I think I'll open it as I have dissasembled things before and as you mentioned there's always google. Though searching wont be of much use as I tried that and this doesn't seem to be a common problem. Though if you meant looking at pictures of dissasembled ds's then I see what you mean.

I'll probably try dissassembling it tommorow, quite tired today and I don't want to mess any thing up.

Will report back :D

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

Nope no green light. By the sound that's coming from the rattling I'd describe it as similar to something like shaking a pin in a jar, glass etc.

Well I think I'll open it as I have dissasembled things before and as you mentioned there's always google. Though searching wont be of much use as I tried that and this doesn't seem to be a common problem. Though if you meant looking at pictures of dissasembled ds's then I see what you mean.

I'll probably try dissassembling it tommorow, quite tired today and I don't want to mess any thing up.

Will report back :D

Ammar-Q

But if you can't fix it, it will cost you mega bucks to have it rpaired since the warrenty will now be voided. ($60-70 US at the least)

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PumpkinBoogie

But if you can't fix it, it will cost you mega bucks to have it rpaired since the warrenty will now be voided. ($60-70 US at the least)

Calvin079

Well if it was out of warranty anyway, it'd still cost him the same, so in that sense he doesn't really have anything to lose. Plus, again, for the cost of getting them to 'repair' it ($60-70)--he could just as easily get a ds lite off of Ebay or somewhere like for that price, if he had to.

Rimsa_Laded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rimsa_Laded
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts

I have the same problem, but I think it's because my cable doesn't go into the plug hole all the way, how deep is the plug supposed to go into the DS?

EDIT BY AMNESIAC23: Please don't bump old threads. Closing topic.