DS games on 3DS XL

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Grapedrink1005 (25 posts) -

I was thinking about getting a 3ds xl soon since I lost my ds lite, but I was wondering how ds games look on it. I've heard mixed things...some say they look terrible and some say they look good. I was mostly wondering if they look pretty much the same as the ds lite using the 1 to 1 option, without stretching the screen. Thanks for the help.

#2 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

They are perfectly playable and enjoyable. Also, you can use the thumbsticky thing which really helps out for certain games

#3 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

They are perfectly playable and enjoyable. Also, you can use the thumbsticky thing which really helps out for certain games

whiskeystrike

Yeah pretty much.

And they look just fine.

You cn adjust the brighntess on some.

#4 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -
I think it looks fine, but the biggest change will be the controls. The D-pad is poorly situated on the 3DS for extended use, so I've always found myself using the slider. For some games, that works without issue, but if you need some precision (like NSMB), it feels off.
#5 Posted by gettingpatches (218 posts) -

If you holdup select or start when the game is starting you can get it to play in it's original resolution, which on the XL happens to make the games roughly the same size they were on the actual DS.

#6 Posted by limpbizkit818 (15044 posts) -

Even using the 1:1 mode DS games still run in a slightly larger window on the 3DS XL. The normal 3DS runs in exactly 1:1. Even with that being said, I would still recommend getting the XL. It really makes no difference for DS games and you're going to enjoy the bigger screens when playing 3DS stuff.

Here's a screen from showing the difference

#7 Posted by Grapedrink1005 (25 posts) -

Even using the 1:1 mode DS games still run in a slightly larger window on the 3DS XL. The normal 3DS runs in exactly 1:1. Even with that being said, I would still recommend getting the XL. It really makes no difference for DS games and you're going to enjoy the bigger screens when playing 3DS stuff.

Here's a screen from showing the difference

limpbizkit818

Wow, the 3ds makes the game tiny.

#8 Posted by KBFloYd (15109 posts) -

if you want to play DS games..get the xl... they look less blurry imo..