Digital or retail for WiiU?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
nano assault neo was the only game i bought on the eshop. rest of my games are always gonna be retail, for any console.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]Wiiu digital is connected to an account. Also, you can share one Mii between 3ds and wiiu,no?Jaysonguy

No, you can't

Really? It asked me to import mine. I Didn't, but I assumed that's what it meant. About digital content; Under the tos, though, if you buy by credit card--and it's connected to email--your protected by law should anything happen to your console.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#53 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

My problem with digital, besides the long downloads, is what happens to the games if the console breaks? Nintendo always makes great hardware but it still scares me. If I was I sure that they would just fix the console with all my downloads intact it would be no problem, but I would be ill if I had to re-download everything. Also, for some reason I still like to support actual stores. skingus
Turns out you can get your ID and games transferred to another Wii U if your console malfunctions. Link.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#54 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="skingus"]My problem with digital, besides the long downloads, is what happens to the games if the console breaks? Nintendo always makes great hardware but it still scares me. If I was I sure that they would just fix the console with all my downloads intact it would be no problem, but I would be ill if I had to re-download everything. Also, for some reason I still like to support actual stores. Bigboi500

Turns out you can get your ID and games transferred to another Wii U if your console malfunctions. Link.

That's great and all but people here have sent their consoles back and had none of their info moved.

Also with that it treats the old content as frozen, you can't do simple things like edit your Mii's after

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

[QUOTE="skingus"]My problem with digital, besides the long downloads, is what happens to the games if the console breaks? Nintendo always makes great hardware but it still scares me. If I was I sure that they would just fix the console with all my downloads intact it would be no problem, but I would be ill if I had to re-download everything. Also, for some reason I still like to support actual stores. Jaysonguy

That's great and all but people here have sent their consoles back and had none of their info moved.

Also with that it treats the old content as frozen, you can't do simple things like edit your Mii's after

But what he just posted proves that one is entitled to what they have purchased if the console breaks. That's all that matters. A simple phone call does wonders--and it is always preferable over email.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Turns out you can get your ID and games transferred to another Wii U if your console malfunctions. Link.

Heirren

But what he just posted proves that one is entitled to what they have purchased if the console breaks. That's all that matters. A simple phone call does wonders--and it is always preferable over email.

Nope, what it proves is that Nintendo isn't doing this when they get broken consoles

Also what it shows is that all your old data is locked, like the ability to change your Mii's

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#57 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Turns out you can get your ID and games transferred to another Wii U if your console malfunctions. Link.

Heirren

Nope what it shows, is Nintendo system currently sux, you NEED to send it to Nintendo, they should have implemented a less restrictive system. People buy from store, it breaks people usually bring back to store to get a replacement within the warranty period rather than have to wait weeks to get it back. When is "future" after warranty period is over so they can charge you for it?

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

superbuuman

Nope what it shows, is Nintendo system currently sux, you NEED to send it to Nintendo, they should have implemented a less restrictive system. People buy from store, it breaks people usually bring back to store to get a replacement within the warranty period rather than have to wait weeks to get it back. When is "future" after warranty period is over so they can charge you for it?

Yes the system does suck, we all agree on that but people really need to stop saying your lose all your games if your system breaks. You don't lose them, NIntendo transfers your account and you can redownload all of them. It is possible you'll have to make an annoying phone call but that's still better than losing hundreds of dollars of games. This isn't new either, they did the same thing for the Wii and 3DS, people just exaggerate Nintendo's hassle of a system to mean that you lose everything, which isn't true. I personally had my Wii repaired several years ago and they sent me another one with all my licences transferred over and I could even edit my Miis I had stored in a remote.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Jaysonguy

Nope, what it proves is that Nintendo isn't doing this when they get broken consoles

Also what it shows is that all your old data is locked, like the ability to change your Mii's

If my wiiu breaks, I call Nintendo and provide the proof of purchase of the downloaded titles. This is the current law with digital content.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"] But what he just posted proves that one is entitled to what they have purchased if the console breaks. That's all that matters. A simple phone call does wonders--and it is always preferable over email.Heirren

If my wiiu breaks, I call Nintendo and provide the proof of purchase of the downloaded titles. This is the current law with digital content.

Nope, not at all

Nintendo's TOS you agree to when you buy games makes that moot

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

[QUOTE="mgools"]

I have no issue with Xbox buying digital, but with the Wii U it will all be physical disks. Here is why:

1) Less expensive. Digital is rare to be on sale

2) Can't sell the back to store for credit.

3) Can't take to friends house for gameing session

4) If console goes (this is for Nintendo only) you lose your game. Nintendo ties to system and not the user.

5) Lack of internal storage on all versions of the Wii U.

6) Having to deal with gamecards or give Nintendo a credit card.

Still like my Wii U and am looking foward to Metroid and Zelda.

AlmightyDerek

You don't lose your game if your system breaks. I don't know why people keep saying this. Your account is transferable, but only Nintendo can transfer it. It's not the most convenient system but you don't lose your games. The rest of your points are valid of course.

Then I missunderstood Nintendo's respone. From what I understood from them is if I get my Wii repaired I was good, but if I got a new one I wasn't. But maybe I just missunderstood. I don't buy much digital, so not a big deal. Still shouldn't be as difficult as they make it to be. With my Xbox 360 (I have 2 of them) I can download the game on both and play on both at no extra cost as long as I am logged in to the console with my Xbox Live ID. Nintendo needs to take some notes for online from Xbox 360

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#62 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Considering Nintendo's implementation of DD is still pretty poor in terms of games being tied to an account, I'm holding off until it's addressed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Jaysonguy

Nope, not at all

Nintendo's TOS you agree to when you buy games makes that moot

Did you not read the article?
volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

Retail all the way. Try selling your almighty digital copy once you're done with it :P

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

[QUOTE="AlmightyDerek"][QUOTE="mgools"]

I have no issue with Xbox buying digital, but with the Wii U it will all be physical disks. Here is why:

1) Less expensive. Digital is rare to be on sale

2) Can't sell the back to store for credit.

3) Can't take to friends house for gameing session

4) If console goes (this is for Nintendo only) you lose your game. Nintendo ties to system and not the user.

5) Lack of internal storage on all versions of the Wii U.

6) Having to deal with gamecards or give Nintendo a credit card.

Still like my Wii U and am looking foward to Metroid and Zelda.

mgools

You don't lose your game if your system breaks. I don't know why people keep saying this. Your account is transferable, but only Nintendo can transfer it. It's not the most convenient system but you don't lose your games. The rest of your points are valid of course.

Then I missunderstood Nintendo's respone. From what I understood from them is if I get my Wii repaired I was good, but if I got a new one I wasn't. But maybe I just missunderstood. I don't buy much digital, so not a big deal. Still shouldn't be as difficult as they make it to be. With my Xbox 360 (I have 2 of them) I can download the game on both and play on both at no extra cost as long as I am logged in to the console with my Xbox Live ID. Nintendo needs to take some notes for online from Xbox 360

Yeah the PS3 is the same way it's a much better system, but at least Nintendo does have a system. It's stupid and can be a hassle but your games aren't lost. That would be terrible customer service. Nintendo has a record of everything your purchase on your Club Nintendo account and your NNID so things are recoverable. I guess Nintendo just really wants to make sure you don't have the same purchases on 2 separate Wii U's. They need to get over it as the competition is okay with it.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Considering how bad Nintendo is with digital content there shouldn't be anyone who's buying digital unless that's the only way you can get them.

Unlike everywhere else that you actually own the game Nintendo's system is more of a rental system.

Jaysonguy
We've already seen Wii U users return their consoles, log into their NN accounts on new Wii U units, and get to keep all their content. On 3DS, yes it is still pretty messed up.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Considering how bad Nintendo is with digital content there shouldn't be anyone who's buying digital unless that's the only way you can get them.

Unlike everywhere else that you actually own the game Nintendo's system is more of a rental system.

bonesawisready5

We've already seen Wii U users return their consoles, log into their NN accounts on new Wii U units, and get to keep all their content.

No we haven't

What we've seen is that anyone who's had to get a new console has had to start the process from scratch making a new username and everything.

EastMagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69 EastMagi
Member since 2012 • 141 Posts

Definitely retail for me. For one simple reason, I can resell or trade it in after I'm done. Plus, they're generally cheaper after about 4 months of release.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

So, how is everyone buying their games for your WiiU?skingus

Nintendo Network ID is locked to a single console, so no digital buys for me until that joke is fixed. I have two Wii Us, and now one of them won't be able to play my content? No deal. No one here should accept this as the other two consoles and PC offer a far better system for Digital Download gaming.

Plus, Digital isn't resellable so why the hell would I buy that way anyways? You wait a month or two, and you get mad discounts at retail for every game!!! Digital gets you 10% at most.

Plus, the Wii U has such a small memory, it's more money buying a HDD to connect to Wii U to buy that rip off, non-sellable, digital download anyways. You have to buy DD and provide a spot for it? No deal.

The tiny amount of memory (32GB) in the Wii U deluxe (forget the sad 8GB Wii U) is at a premium. Why would I want to suck up space to put a game there that I can own in RL and later sell if I need to?

If you don't like the game, you are stuck with it. You can't give it to a friend, you can't trade with a friend, you can't sell it. Why buy digital?!

There is no upside right now for digital on Wii U. Retail games go on sale all the damn time. Buy 2 get one free. Buy one, get one 50% off. Wii U games 30% off. Buy one get one Free. Retail has great deals because companies OVERSTOCK. That doesn't happen with Digital. We are at their mercy if they want to drop prices.

Forget digital unless it's close to free.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#71 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Retail so I can get things cheaper and possibly sell a game at some point.
thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

[QUOTE="thedude-"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Unless it's a situation where you don't own the console (fire, theft) or even the situation where a few years down the line the console breaks and Nintendo charges more money to repair it then it costs to buy one new during a sale period.

Every other platform you own a license of that game, Nintendo is the only one where you don't

Jaysonguy

Well they will always get away with it. They have an audience that is happy enough with their innovations and are obviously able to ignore such huge missteps.

I don't know if it's that though

I think that people just don't know better.

Right now if you make a screen name and your Wii U breaks and you send it in to be fixed you still lose that name.

That's insane and no one in their right mind would think that's how it should work, the thing is that's how it works everywhere else so people think it'll be that way for Nintendo too.

I am confident that if my Wii U broke, I would be able to argue with Nintendo to get my purchases back, maybe even my account. The issue is that I have to do that in the first place when the competition provides cloud like services with their accounts. You can sign in anywhere and download all your purchases at the press of a button on other hardware. It makes Nintendo's next gen attempt already feel outdated compared to hardware that is a generation behind it. I think a majority of their audience does not even know to care about issues like this. The majority's video game playing is so light, they do not even need such versatility with their account and their digital content. Even gamers that are dedicated may not even notice because most of their sustained playing is done on other consoles or hardware and they are not even worrying about it with Nintendo platforms. Either Nintendo simply did not develop their platform enough in order to rush it in to release for the holidays or Nintendo is still so hesitant about digital frontiers that they are waiting till significant sales are coming from the digital side.