Desperate Gaming Noob, Father of 2 Kids Needs Help (boy 7 , girl 5)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nhw3w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nhw3w
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
So my son (7 yrs old...also have daughter, 5 yrs) want's a Wii U for Christmas. I want to get it for him but I really need the help of knowledgeable people in this forum: BACKGROUND I'm pretty tech savvy. I have an excellent grasp of personal technology, PCs, TiVo/ReplayTV, GPS, iOS Devices, Palm Devices, Digital Photography, Home Automation, Biometrics (FitBit, Zeo, Withings Scale), Home Theater. I'll be hooking the Wii U up to my 60 in plasma. I know NOTHING about gaming consoles. I intended to buy a Wii ages ago but have been waiting for a hi def Wii console. So here goes: 1. What OTHER things do I need besides the deluxe console Wii U package? (other controllers, adapters, chargers). There are 4 of us in cluding my wife. What implications does that have for other gear I need 2. What tips can you give me so that i have a smooth experience on Christmas morning 3. If i buy older games, they will look "lo def" on my plasma right? 4. What games should I buy for kids? (I'm not getting any games for me but need at least 1 for daughter and son) 5. Finally, a specific game question...is there a hi-def game that has sports at launch (my son loved Kinect Tennis when we played it at the store) PLEASE HELP I am desperate and hate being so ignorant when I'm usually VERY in the know...
euro96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 euro96
Member since 2005 • 499 Posts

1. Although everything you need to play the console (adapters, chargers) will be included in the console, if you wish to play multiplayer games then you'll need extra controllers (the console comes with one Gamepad). A lot of games on nintendo land you will need Wii Remote per extra person, and some games will require nunchucks aswell.

2. There is a sizeable update to download when you first use the Wii U, the kids won't really like waiting for this on christmas morning, so it might be worth setting up the console when you know they are out for a long time and downloading the update ( for some it has taken 4-5 hours, some 1 hour)

3. Yes the Wii U doesn't upscale Wii games, and on a big TV they will look low def.

4. New Super Mario Bros Wii U is a good place to start and also has multiplayer options, Nintendo Land that is bundled with the console has also been well received.

5. I don't know much about it but there is a sports mini game collection called ESPN Sports Connection.

Hope this info was some use.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

1. Although everything you need to play the console (adapters, chargers) will be included in the console, if you wish to play multiplayer games then you'll need extra controllers (the console comes with one Gamepad). A lot of games on nintendo land you will need Wii Remote per extra person, and some games will require nunchucks aswell.

2. There is a sizeable update to download when you first use the Wii U, the kids won't really like waiting for this on christmas morning, so it might be worth setting up the console when you know they are out for a long time and downloading the update ( for some it has taken 4-5 hours, some 1 hour)

3. Yes the Wii U doesn't upscale Wii games, and on a big TV they will look low def.

4. New Super Mario Bros Wii U is a good place to start and also has multiplayer options, Nintendo Land that is bundled with the console has also been well received.

5. I don't know much about it but there is a sports mini game collection called ESPN Sports Connection.

Hope this info was some use.

euro96

Euro96 is pretty spot on here.

Just to add or clarify:
1. Pick up some wii remotes/nun chucks to get the most out of multiplayer for NintendoLand

4. NintendoLand and Super Mario Bros U as suggested by Euro96 sound like the perfect games in your circumstance. Both these games will utilise the extra Wii remotes you get too. Other than these two games, these games may interest you and your kids:Scribblenauts Unlimited (2 player),Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (2 player),Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (4 player), and as suggested by Euro96;Sports Connection.

nhw3w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nhw3w
Great advice!!! Thanks...Great advice! A couple of quick follow-ups... First, any reason NOT to get the deluxe wii U? Second EXACTLY what would you suggest I get in the way of controllers to support the whole family of four: I know there are many kinds of controllers...WiiMote, WiiMote & Nunchuk, GameCube Controller, and Classic Controller. I've seen some that are shaped like steering wheels and some called "remote PLUS". I also saw the "Wii U Pro Controller" So what should I get.... I plan to initally purchase these Wii U games and I'll obviously have what comes packaged with the console. (will not buy old Wii games AND no adult games) Sports Connection Mario Just Dance 4 Thoughts appreciated...
Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts

Should you want to play Nintendo Land, you'd have to buy it separately if you get the standard (white) console and end up paying $10 extra and miss out on the additional 24GB of storage. The deluxe version is the better choice in my opinion.

As for the additional controllers, you want to at the very least get the Wiimotes with Motion+ already built in. Nunchucks are a good idea to get as well and you can purchase separately if you wish. The Wii U does not have ports on which you can use the GameCube controllers.... sigh! The steering wheels are just shells in which you can place in the Wiimotes to play driving games, nothing you really can't do without the shell, but for your kids I imagine it would add some sense of 'actual driving.' I wish I could tell you more about the Wii U Pro controller, I've used it, it is nice, but I can't say you absolutely need it at the moment.

I know you said you are not interested in older games..... BUT, there are some gems out there for Wii that may not looks as good, but man are they fun. If you don't mind, look up the Super Mario Galaxy reviews here on Gamespot.

nhw3w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nhw3w
Thanks for the advice ...assuming I get the deluxe bundle....do I need 4 Wiimotes with Motion+ and 4 Nunchucks? Also, are there other accessories that are must haves like special chargers ,stands or other stuff? In other areas of my life I seek to optimize the experience and get the very best stuff to enhance it...just want to make sure I don't miss anything
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Thanks for the advice ...assuming I get the deluxe bundle....do I need 4 Wiimotes with Motion+ and 4 Nunchucks? Also, are there other accessories that are must haves like special chargers ,stands or other stuff? In other areas of my life I seek to optimize the experience and get the very best stuff to enhance it...just want to make sure I don't miss anythingnhw3w

Yes: Four wiimotes with motion+ built in and 4 nunchucks.

As for the second part, consider rechargable batteries. For example, I have this one by energizer. Which is pretty sweet because it uses inductive charging too. I suggest this because getting replacement batteries is a pain in my opinion. You don't have to get a Wiimote specific battery charger, just something that will charge AA batteries.

Other than that, I think you're set! Enjoy your Christmas with the Wii U :)

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
I'd like to add one additional piece of advice. Get your name down for it EVERYWHERE. The Deluxe WiiU bundle sold out on day one, and It's not going to be easy to find unless you're willing to pay the extortion rates on eBay. Nintendo are working on getting more available, but the lists of people who have expressed interest in it are some of the biggest any console has had. Go to anywhere near you that sells games consoles, or just electronics in general, and even if they don't have it ask to be put down on there list of people to contact if/when they get more in. You might get lucky and find one just sitting in a shop somewhere, but realistically it's unlikely, as you'll be one of hundreds if not thousands of parents looking for this thing, getting your name down in as many places as possible, gives you the best chance to find one.
nhw3w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nhw3w
Thanks very much to all who responded...now I know what I need and, as suggested, will focus on AQUISITION!