Can you play DS games online on the 3DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

I was wondering. Games like Mario Kart DS and the Pokemon games had an online function built into the game. Can these features still be used if played on the 3DS?

I want to get a 3DS when the price drop hits and was wondering if this was possible.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4223 Posts

yes, absolutely! For instance I play UMK (Ultimate Mortal Kombat) and it works fine, even with higher resolution for some reason.

But a word: I lost all my rankings because the cartlidge wants you to play on one console. So if your prepared to loose all your records, its nothing to worry about.

YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts
Yes, you can. However, the DS games still have the same wirless internet security restrictions as before. I do know however, that Pokemone Black and White were DSi enhanced games and they can connect with the stricter security settings. The other DSi enhanced features also work on the 3DS, like the xtransiever or what not.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Yes. BUT, like the DSi (and as yobrandino mentions), you're stuck with the old DS settings which require you to use WEP security, which is unfortunate as WEP security is about as secure as using a paper bag for a condom. It makes a lot of the earlier internet connectivity stuff a pain in the ass, as you either have to run a nearly unsecure network or constantly swap it back and forth whenever you want to play DS games online. I was pleasantly surprised with Pokemon Black, though, as it is capable of connecting via WPA/WPA2.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Yes. BUT...security is about as secure as using a paper bag for a condom. .DJ_Lae

But surely a game as good as Mario Kart DS is worth the risk, no?

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Oh coooll then
Zanoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Zanoh
Member since 2006 • 6942 Posts

I have a way to play WEP games on a WPA/WPA-2 secure network. It's in my blog and has helped many. It does require AOSS enabled routers though. ^^

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

I was wondering. Games like Mario Kart DS and the Pokemon games had an online function built into the game. Can these features still be used if played on the 3DS?

I want to get a 3DS when the price drop hits and was wondering if this was possible.

ShadowDeathX
yes you can. ive played mario kart ds on my 3ds just fine.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Yes. BUT, like the DSi (and as yobrandino mentions), you're stuck with the old DS settings which require you to use WEP security, which is unfortunate as WEP security is about as secure as using a paper bag for a condom. It makes a lot of the earlier internet connectivity stuff a pain in the ass, as you either have to run a nearly unsecure network or constantly swap it back and forth whenever you want to play DS games online. I was pleasantly surprised with Pokemon Black, though, as it is capable of connecting via WPA/WPA2.DJ_Lae

Eh, WEP isn't that bad if its just a home connection. The average person wouldn't be able to figure out how to find your password.

I use WEP and haven't had any unusual activity on my network.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#10 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Eh, WEP isn't that bad if its just a home connection. The average person wouldn't be able to figure out how to find your password.

I use WEP and haven't had any unusual activity on my network.

Haziqonfire

I may just be paranoid as I'm in an apartment building with another right across the street - I can access nearly two dozen wireless connections from where I am. There are probably plenty of people who know how to cracka WEP network if they want.

I've been tempted to do it myself and then change people's network names to clue them into using WPA.