Can Someone help me figure out why SSB is a good game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4220 Posts

I've never played before this game. So what's so great about it? The only thing I can conjure up is the fact that it includes all the iconic Nintendo characters (Which is great btw)

But what's so great about the gameplay? Anything in the extras?

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Pretty much the same reason why people play Mario Kart over other racing game: it's a ridiculously fun party game. Beating each other with our favorite Nintendo characters is a huge reason as well. Although many people do take Smash Bros seriously, it's not supposed to be a serious fighting game like Street Fighter. It can be, but it's not, especially if you play with items on. Items and stage hazards make matches refreshing and random. Stages are big enough for four players and you're not restricted to one spot. Your goal is to knock out every opponent off the stage. Instead of HP bars, you're given percentages. The higher the percentage, the more likely you are from being knocked out of the stage. Smash Bros can be fun alone, but it's best experienced with friends, either locally or online.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@ANIMEguy10034: Pretty much this.

I didn't like the first Smash Bros. But, I didn't really play it much either. I got into Melee and there is actually a lot of depth to the game. I loved Brawl and the Subspace Emissary campaign.

Personally I love the idea of unlocking everything. There are a lotof collectibles. Some of them require funny ways of unlocking them, for example, pitting two characters against each other and leaving the game on for 24 hours to unlock Mewtwo.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

Its fun with your friends in multiplayer locally. But without your friends next to you on the couch there is no reason to play it imo. unless you find getting the unlockables fun and worth it.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 outworld222

Ah thanks guys, all answers were helpful.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#6 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

The big two factors are 1) having all these characters from so many great games getting to beat the snot out of each other and 2) it's up there with Halo Lan parties, Mario Kart, Mario Party in that it's fun to get a bunch of friends around and just play. Having online is nice but like a lot of games, it's more fun when you have everyone in the same room. Plus you can punch them in the face if they act like a jerk. LOL Brawl and Melee also tried to give a fair amount of content to solo players in terms of event matches, story mode etc. Though if that's not your thing, then the only reason to bother with it would be to unlock all the fighters and stages.

Also like a lot of Nintendo games it has the "easy to learn, hard to master" quality to it. Anyone can pick it up and play. Unlike Mortal Kombat where you had to learn insane button combos to be good at it, Smash is all about timing, learning your character's strength's and weaknesses. It has a simple pick up and play nature that kids can learn easily but to play but many spend years perfecting it which is the sign of a well made game.

It's also amazing that with the sheer number of games that get cloned when one is popular, that you don't see more Smash clones. We know Sony tried with PS All Stars and there's been a couple knock offs like Punch Time Explosion and TMNT. But not many have managed to duplicate it well. I'm mostly surprised Sega hasn't made their own mascot fighter especially after the Sega All Star Tennis and Racing games. Seriously why does that NOT exist?

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

it's a simple game that is complicated at the same time. it's beautiful. <3

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

its a fighting game that anyone can get good at.... the pros will always beat you but you can actually look like you are decent..

also its the only 4player fighting game...so its tons of fun because 4 people are in the game.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

its a fighting game that anyone can get good at.... the pros will always beat you but you can actually look like you are decent..

also its the only 4player fighting game...so its tons of fun because 4 people are in the game.

Remove that last sentence KB. It's not the only 4 player fighting game :)

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 outworld222

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

Thinking of Mortal Kombat foooour ;)

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KBFloYd

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

really? what game has 4player?

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#12  Edited By kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

@KBFloYd: Power Stone on the Dreamcast did.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#13 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

It's a really fun game. It's really hard to describe why Smash Brothers is such a great game. I guess I would have to start with the randomness of the combat. It's also a four-player game that's fighting; you don't see that a lot. It's simple, but actually has some depth at the same time as well.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KBFloYd

@kbaily said:

@KBFloYd: Power Stone on the Dreamcast did.

i meant current games..

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Yeah, I see why people like it. It's very accessible. But overall I never got that into it.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

single player sux balls...but play with friends its fun. :)

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nini200

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

Power Stone, Thrill Kill, PASBR, Dragonball Z: Battle of Z, Various Naruto fighting games, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, the list goes on

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KBFloYd

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

Power Stone, Thrill Kill, PASBR, Dragonball Z: Battle of Z, Various Naruto fighting games, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, the list goes on

thats a negative on tekken nini..thats only 2players...

powerstone isnt playable online....

playstation all stars...ok yea i forgot :P

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nini200

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 has Pair Play off and online and it is 4 players. You should know that KB. I thought you had it?

Actually the Japanese Power Stone 2 did have some online features. I had both versions of Power Stone 2. I only had the american Power Stone 1 though.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KBFloYd

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 has Pair Play off and online and it is 4 players. You should know that KB. I thought you had it?

Actually the Japanese Power Stone 2 did have some online features. I had both versions of Power Stone 2. I only had the american Power Stone 1 though.

there's only two actual humans playing in tekken yes there is 4 characters but its a 2player game..

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nini200

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

there's only two actual humans playing in tekken yes there is 4 characters but its a 2player game..

Pair play has 4 people playing lol I thought you knew this KB

Each person chooses 1 character and they go 2 v 2 against 2 other players. This can also be done online.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KBFloYd

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

Each person chooses 1 character and they go 2 v 2 against 2 other players. This can also be done online.

omg....

i stand corrected nini

i didnt know. :]

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#23 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

There's loads of customization options for your multiplayer battles, a huge roster of mostly well balanced characters to choose form, mostly well designed stages (and a lot of them) the production values are astounding (especially the soundtracks... HOLY FUCKING SHIT, like seriously) the mechanics are simple enough so that pretty much anyone can pick the game up and start playing, but deep enough so that there is skill involved with victory and there's an enormous amount of unlockables and extra content. That and playing locally with friends is better than booze.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

It's the hardest game not to enjoy with friends. Seriously, it's so damn fun with a few friends and some beers.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nini200

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

omg....

i stand corrected nini

I honestly thought you had the game and knew this KB lol

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#26 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

It is a simple party fighting game.

It has loads of depth, and tons of content, but it is easy to pick up and learn to play relatively well.

The items and the randomness of some stages make matches mostly even, and it is possible to customize many aspects of the battles.

Besides, it features Nintendo mascots beating and launching each other spectacularly out of colorful stages. It is just epic fun.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KBFloYd

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

omg....

i stand corrected nini

i have no friends :0

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

@KBFloYd said:

omg....

i stand corrected nini

i have no friends :0

also mortal kombat, street fighter x tekken and dead or alive 5 all have 4 players with sfxt having a mode where all 4 characters are on the screen at the same time fighting.

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#29 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts

Super Smash Bros. is a series that is best enjoyed with friends and family. I still play all three Smash Bros. games all the time with my friends and family because they are just so dang fun to play. They can still be enjoyable as single player games, not only for the single player content but also the fact that you can set computer players to play against. They are some of the most enjoyable games ever.