Battery Life of Wii U Tablet Controller is....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZamboniGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ZamboniGamer
Member since 2011 • 530 Posts

About 3 -5 hours. Nintendo is doing a great job of making the Wii U less appealing each day LOL. Now it has yet to be determined if it has a built in battery or uses say AA. But either way that is just horrible.

http://www.examiner.com/article/wii-u-tablet-controller-s-battery-life-amazingly-short

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Oh well, you can't have everything. In this case I hope it's rechargable.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

thetravman

It is rechargable. I also think you can plug and play so you can play while it is charging similar to PS3.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

I assume that if you were to completely turn off rumble features, that you could squeeze a little more time out of it.

ZamboniGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZamboniGamer
Member since 2011 • 530 Posts

[QUOTE="thetravman"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

It is rechargable. I also think you can plug and play so you can play while it is charging similar to PS3.

Problem with that is moving around with controller, which most game will have you do using that controller.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts
i dont see a problem with that. crap for a handheld but the wiiu controller is not a handheld. i hope it uses AA batteries though. get a set of rechargable batteries and a charger. if your having a mammoth gaming session switching batteries around and leaving 1 set on charge will take 2 seconds. i really hope the battery is not built in like the PS3 controller....leave that stuff to portable devices.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
i hope nintendo provides a long charge cable. It should be long enough to reach all the way across the room like those old corded controllers. At the very least it should be able to plug into a wall socket
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

i dont see a problem with that. crap for a handheld but the wiiu controller is not a handheld. i hope it uses AA batteries though. get a set of rechargable batteries and a charger. if your having a mammoth gaming session switching batteries around and leaving 1 set on charge will take 2 seconds. i really hope the battery is not built in like the PS3 controller....leave that stuff to portable devices.osan0

Not a chance of AA's.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

I heard this before, and it's very disappointing. Although if this is anything like with the 3DS's battery life (which was estimated for the same), if the game isn't utilizing the full extent of the console (ie playing a DS game on the 3DS can last much longer than 5 hours) then it should be able to get more. The Gamepad has tons of features, if all of those aren't being used, I can imagine that it will last a bit longer.

Avatar image for Sportyfamilycar
Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sportyfamilycar
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

i hope nintendo provides a long charge cable. It should be long enough to reach all the way across the room like those old corded controllers. At the very least it should be able to plug into a wall socketGunSmith1_basic

Yes!!! Nowadays, 8 foot cables is what your given. Everything needs big ol Xbox mammoth cables to go anywhere.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Give'em a break. It streams 480p to a 6.2 inch screen. I didn't really expect much better and the system comes with a charging cradle, plus a cable. Just plug it in during play or drop it in the cradle.

If you can't do that it's your own fault that you can't take care of your electronics. It would be great if it was better but it's what we got.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts
People love to whine over the obvious, what did you expect it to be? And for those talking about AA batteries, do you sweat out batteries or something, because this thing would devour batteries in a manner not seen since the Game Gear lol.
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nintendofreak_2

People love to whine over the obvious, what did you expect it to be? And for those talking about AA batteries, do you sweat out batteries or something, because this thing would devour batteries in a manner not seen since the Game Gear lol. Sepewrath
Rechargable batteries man.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath
I'm aware of what it is. There are people saying they hope it takes batteries, they don't seem to realize that batteries would be a terrible design decision for the juice this controller must take.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

youll only be playing at home so you can just leave it plugged in to the ac adaptor.

nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nintendofreak_2

I'm aware of what it is. There are people saying they hope it takes batteries, they don't seem to realize that batteries would be a terrible design decision for the juice this controller must take. Sepewrath
It would give you the ability to have marathon runs without having to stop or worry about a cable reaching across the room. Some people don't have set ups that allow for cables to reach where they're sitting, and having a cable running across the room has other issues for people who are just walking through the room.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

About 3 -5 hours. Nintendo is doing a great job of making the Wii U less appealing each day LOL. Now it has yet to be determined if it has a built in battery or uses say AA. But either way that is just horrible.

http://www.examiner.com/article/wii-u-tablet-controller-s-battery-life-amazingly-short

ZamboniGamer
Old news.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#18 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Lame. The Dual Shock 3 already annoys me enough with its built in battery - forcing me to tether to play when it's dead completely defeats the point of a wireless controller. With the 360 and Wii controllers you just slap in a topped up pair of AAs and go (this also makes me question the sanity of people who use the play & charge kits). I realize with the WiiU tablet it would likely take four AAs to give us the same (or less) battery life than these 5 hours, but it's still disappointing. Whenever my WiiU tablet dies I guess I'll just go and play another console while it sits there for two and a half hours to charge back up again, because there's no goddamn way I'm playing it wired.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]I'm aware of what it is. There are people saying they hope it takes batteries, they don't seem to realize that batteries would be a terrible design decision for the juice this controller must take. nintendofreak_2

It would give you the ability to have marathon runs without having to stop or worry about a cable reaching across the room. Some people don't have set ups that allow for cables to reach where they're sitting, and having a cable running across the room has other issues for people who are just walking through the room.

aye..its not rocket science. get some rechargable batteries and a charger if you dont have one. thats about 30 euro max. the recharable batteries may need to be replaced after around 2-3 years of use....a miniscule expense. have one set charging while using the other in the controller. swap around when the batteries run out of juice. i really dont understand peoples obsession with internal lithium ion batteries and charging docks. perfectly understandable for a portable as AA batteries are big. but for a console controller using off the shelf AA batteries makes much more sense. more than spening 50 quid on a completly unnecessary and propiatery official charging dock where the console manufacturers rips you off. of course the other upside of using rechargable AA batteries is if a battery fails its cheap and quick to replace. if an internal battery fails then you either need to send it to the manufacturer or get a screwdriver out and take it apart (well unless the manufacturer was nice enough to make the battery easy to replace).
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

As expected for a controller with a 6.2 inch 480p touchscreen, rumble, speakers, a camera, gyroscope, and accelerometer.

And I'm glad that it does not use AA batteries. I've been using rechargeable AA batteries for my Wii remote and it's such a hassle to pause the game, take out the batteries, put in new ones, insert the dead batteries on the charging dock, and resume the game. That thing would devour AA batteries and I would rather charge the game pad as I play, like I do with my 3DS.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

What we plan on doing is getting a second gamepad (assuming it does not come with 2) Having one charging while the other is being used, and once the other one is done charging taking it off charge, letting the first go down till its basically dead... Then put it on charge, as we grab the second gamepad. Repeat.

This ensures continous play, and prolonging the longevity of the overall battery life of the gamepads.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="thetravman"]

ZamboniGamer

Problem with that is moving around with controller, which most game will have you do using that controller.

Depends on how long the cord is, most games I've seen only require small movements with the controller, nothing dramatic, so it shouldn't be too bad.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
I'm already missing the AA batteries... :(
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Expected with all the stuff that comes with it, most probably you can adjust the brightness for the screen on the gamepad.

Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sportyfamilycar

I'm reading this AA vs rechargable debate. I like the 360 controller...use AA's or buy a rechargable battery if you like. With power tools all the way to gadgets...well, rechargables dont last. My lithium to NiCd batteries die after about a few years of casual to heavy use. If the handheld at least allowed AA as an option that would be good. Plus as mentioned you can buy rechargeable AA's.

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

I was hoping we'd get 6-10 hours out of the controller. I'm pretty disappointed, I have to say. Especially considering the controller is pretty much the selling point of the system.

I'm guessing the game streaming thing demands a lot of juice. Just hoping the wireless range of the controller is good so I can play games on the couch downstairs with my Wii U upstairs.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sepewrath

]It would give you the ability to have marathon runs without having to stop or worry about a cable reaching across the room. Some people don't have set ups that allow for cables to reach where they're sitting, and having a cable running across the room has other issues for people who are just walking through the room.

nintendofreak_2
And if it worked with batteries, people would be complaining about how cumbersome and expensive it is to be constantly changing batteries. Your game wont last that marathon and if you don't have extra batteries, you just cant play. Yes I know the response "But I could just keep extra batteries" but that's not the case for everyone. Many have set ups that will easily accommodate a controller being wired at times, if you don't too bad. There is no set up where they can make everyone happy, but I'm sure the rechargeable battery makes more people happy.
Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts
[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]
[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="thetravman"]

ZamboniGamer

you just gotta move it prolly less than a foot in each direction, are you planning on doing gymnastics with this device?
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Meh, it's not like game that long anyway.

Maybe if I was 12...

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
It's a gimmick, I'm sure that most games can be played with the 'pro' controller. Just pony up the extra $50 :)
Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
i don't even play games straight for 3 hours anymore, let alone 5. won't affect me.
Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sportyfamilycar

It's a gimmick, I'm sure that most games can be played with the 'pro' controller. Just pony up the extra $50 :)istuffedsunny

this is what bothers me...I hope they dont just release games for the plain controller and not use the new screen controller to an advantage.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
It's a gimmick, I'm sure that most games can be played with the 'pro' controller. Just pony up the extra $50 :)istuffedsunny
It's only a gimmick if it adds nothing to the gameplay of games. If used properly, it can be a useful tool to games.
Avatar image for HeavyMetalKirby
HeavyMetalKirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HeavyMetalKirby
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts
There will most Likley be an add on battery pack attachment made by a third party company that can charge-n-play
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Lame. The Dual Shock 3 already annoys me enough with its built in battery - forcing me to tether to play when it's dead completely defeats the point of a wireless controller. With the 360 and Wii controllers you just slap in a topped up pair of AAs and go (this also makes me question the sanity of people who use the play & charge kits). I realize with the WiiU tablet it would likely take four AAs to give us the same (or less) battery life than these 5 hours, but it's still disappointing. Whenever my WiiU tablet dies I guess I'll just go and play another console while it sits there for two and a half hours to charge back up again, because there's no goddamn way I'm playing it wired.DJ_Lae

PS3 batteries last like 20 hours of playtime though (some people say 30, maybe mind are starting to degrade a little).If you have 2 PS3 controllers, you can recharge one and play on the other. It's much smoother to do that than to actually have to swap out batteries!!!

Believe me. Recharbeable controllers are the way to go with the Wii-U as well. IF this thing goes with AA batteries, it might take 4 at a time to power the screen!! So that means you have to have 8 batteries dedicated to this thing ready to swap out at all times. That sounds easier to you then simplly having rechargeable built in? That actually sounds rediculous to me. What if I forget to charge the other set of batteries? Then I'm completely screwed with no option to charge and play! Sadly even if it is rechargeable, it probably does need to be tethered to a USB cable for extended gaming sessions (assuming it charges via USB), but so long as the cable is 10' long it's not a problem. Sony was stupid to bundle their controllers with a 3' cable, I replaced it with a 10' cable which made that literally a non-issue even if I am playing and charging at the same time. Hopefully Nintendo does the same, but with the 8GB drive and this short battery life, you have to question them a little in their line of thinking...

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DJ_Lae

PS3 batteries last like 20 hours of playtime though (some people say 30, maybe mind are starting to degrade a little).If you have 2 PS3 controllers, you can recharge one and play on the other. It's much smoother to do that than to actually have to swap out batteries!!!

2Chalupas
Oh it's easier, but that's quite an investment over a $10 charger and AA NiMH pack! Having two WiiU tablets would be the easiest solution here too, but who knows what those are going to cost. And my gripe with playing tethered is just being tethered. The PS3 made it worse by having shorter cords than Nintendo did with the Gamecube, but even having a cord at all is annoying. The classic controller annoys me with the Wii too as it's functionally a wired controller.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

[QUOTE="2Chalupas"]

DJ_Lae

Oh it's easier, but that's quite an investment over a $10 charger and AA NiMH pack! Having two WiiU tablets would be the easiest solution here too, but who knows what those are going to cost. And my gripe with playing tethered is just being tethered. The PS3 made it worse by having shorter cords than Nintendo did with the Gamecube, but even having a cord at all is annoying. The classic controller annoys me with the Wii too as it's functionally a wired controller.

There are plusses and minuses to both. But for me I think it would be insane to physically have to open the battery slot and change batteries every 3 hours. I can say with 100% certainty that at some point I would run into problems of not having spare AA batteries ready, forgetting to charge them or whatever, and that not having a battery ready would at some point kill my gameplay. It would just get old really fast.

Having a USB tether while it charges is not the greatest option either, but that's alot better than having to change batteries an insane amount of times. Literally on a daily basis and maybe multiple times in a day if you are caught between charges. The real problem is the battery life of only 3 hours. Also keep in mind that usually lithium ion battery lasts much longer than standard AA or niCD rechargable, so if it turns out that is the spec of their lithium ion battery it would have been MUCH WORSE with standard AA batteries. Likewise if the spec is for AA batteries, unless they are using like 4 or 8 batteries, then probably a lithium ion battery design could have given a massive improvement. Hell their are LAPTOPS that now can give like 10-12 hours between charges, so to me it's kind of bizarre a tablet controller can only do 3 hours. That tells me whatever the solution is, it was obviously a very cheap one. I know the laptop will have a much pricier battery, but still... the controller shouldn't be doing alot of heavy processing other than the screen.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#38 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
For a controller of a home console, that seems fine to me. I just got to remember to charge it everytime I finish playing a few hours.
bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Fine by me, I have no problem having the controller on a cord. I wouldn't have expected much else considering cost restraints and all of the controllers functions.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

It'll have a dock or something that lets you charge it while you're not playing, same as the 3DS. I can't remember the last time I played a game for more than three hours straight.... Do some of you guys have three-hour sessions that often? I think I'd go crazy...

linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 linkyshinks
Member since 2006 • 1332 Posts
Old news. It has a charging cradle and plug and play.
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#42 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

It uses a built-in rechargable battery. You're not swapping out six AA batteries like a GameGear, so I don't understand why you're complaining. If it starts to run out of juice, plug it in and keep playing. This is better suited for System Wars.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I would rather it be wired, to be honest. I hate wireless controllers. Screw batteries, screw recharging, and screw input lag.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#45 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

It'll have a dock or something that lets you charge it while you're not playing, same as the 3DS. I can't remember the last time I played a game for more than three hours straight.... Do some of you guys have three-hour sessions that often? I think I'd go crazy...

JordanElek
In the past I've played 10 hour sessions of Goldeneye, 10 hour sessions of Monster Hunter 3, and 6+ hour sessions of Smash Bros Brawl frequently currently doing up to 3 hour sessions of Xenoblade, 2-3 times a week since launch
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
[QUOTE="JordanElek"]

wiifan001
In the past I've played 10 hour sessions of Goldeneye, 10 hour sessions of Monster Hunter 3, and 6+ hour sessions of Smash Bros Brawl frequently currently doing up to 3 hour sessions of Xenoblade, 2-3 times a week since launch

10 hours? Wow, that's almost half the day playing the same game without stopping. It kills me to play a game for longer than 4 hours.
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
I really hope they can up it to something like 6-8 hours at least for the thing. I mean I know it is more of a home thing, but if it lasts a maximum of 3-5 hours, I feel like real world results are going to be even worse than that at times.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DJ_Lae
I would rather it be wired, to be honest. I hate wireless controllers. Screw batteries, screw recharging, and screw input lag.famicommander
Input lag is probably the least of your concerns when it comes to the WiiU tablet as an input device, to be honest. It's not exactly the sort of thing you'd use while frame counting in fighting games even if it was completely wired.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#49 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

[QUOTE="wiifan001"][QUOTE="JordanElek"]

Toxic-Seahorse

10 hours? Wow, that's almost half the day playing the same game without stopping. It kills me to play a game for longer than 4 hours.

Yep, 10-15 hours on Goldeneye, and even couple times had went through TWO sets of batteries a day, fully charged:P

In the first 3 months I stayed within the top 200 worldwide for highest Level and most Wins and at one point was even briefly in the top 50 for most eliminations of all time. Would've been higher if not for what was at the time, a few hackers :P

Then I played 10+ hours segments of Monster Hunter 3, one time a 17 hour session.