As an adult RPG fan who hasn't played Pokemon, can you guys sell me on X/Y?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darktx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darktx2005
Member since 2009 • 396 Posts

So for the last few weeks, I've heard an insane amount of hype over Pokemon X/Y. I'm 30 years old and I've never played a Pokemon game, but I am a huge RPG fan (as my currently playing list probably shows). I didn't play games much in jr high/high school when the series started and I always just chalked it up to be a kids series. Now seeing so many people on various forums, many in their 20s/30s/40s, so excited, I feel like I might be missing out. I don't really want to fork out for the money for it without knowing if I'd actually like it, so I figured I'd ask a few questions here.

I'm wondering if people who love the series can tell me why they love it and what's in it for a a 30 year old adult. Is it just a nostalgia thing for people who used to play it as a kid? Is the RPG aspect of the game good, or do most people just play for collecting/competitive multiplayer?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I started with Pokemon in my late 20's

It's awesome, one of the best franchises in gaming

The heck with RPG, if you like games, heck if you like good things get the game and enjoy

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

Its a good monster hunting game with one of the most balanced combat system there is.. With each entry new tweaks have been added to the system which make the game that much more complex while still maintaining its accessibility..

It really is hard to explain in a forum post.. If you absolutely dont want to take a chance with Pokemon X, my suggestion would be to get an older pokemon game used online (i recommend heartgold to be a good place to start) they are available quite cheap..

Edit: I notice that you are playing Ni No kuni.. Pokemon has the same vibe.. only the type strengths and weaknesses actually matter unlike in Ni No Kuni where some familiars are broken..

Also if you are still on the fence, youtube chuggaconroy pokemon emerald.. its a lets play and it should give you an idea of the gameplay

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

- Has tons of team building options

- Relatively easy story modes, but incredibly deep meta game

- Nintendo always creates well established worlds with great atmospheres

- Excellent music

- Simple but insanely addictive combat/ catching mechanic.

- If I'm not mistaken, with X and Y there will be over 800 Pokemon.  Think about that for a second.

- Manages to make very old JRPG mechanics feel very fresh in every installment.

That should be all you need.

gamerdude970

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamerdude970
Member since 2009 • 367 Posts

just buy it and play it

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
If you like leveling up a bunch of dudes and don't mind a crappy story then it's worth playing for an RPG fan. Don't even try to play competitively though.
Avatar image for JYoungin20years
JYoungin20years

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JYoungin20years
Member since 2005 • 361 Posts

Buy it and experience one of the deepest rpgs out there.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
It's one of the deepest and most balanced turn-based RPGs ever. If you go multiplayer, there are literally countless strategies to employ. and by "strategy" I don't mean "attack weakness whenever possible". I mean like a legitimate eSports like Starcraft, where you can wage psychological warfare to mess up your opponent's expectations about your strategy. Or fake your move to make your opponent show his cards. The multiplayer of Pokemon feels more like Magic the Gathering than regular JRPGs; that is, it can get ridiculously intense solely because of the crazy mind battle between two players. However, I have to say single player is a bit lacking if you play it like regular JRPG, i.e. Final Fantasy. It's plot is very straightforward and very boring.
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

It is NOT an easy game. It's an incredibly well-built strategy game that relies on a pretty complicated mathematical system. Pokemon types, individual pokemon stats, strengths of attacks, items... It's pretty incredible how badly you can get your ass kicked if you don't know what youre doing.

It's like fire emblem with animals and no perma-death. It's not an easy strategy game by any means. 

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

It is NOT an easy game. It's an incredibly well-built strategy game that relies on a pretty complicated mathematical system. Pokemon types, individual pokemon stats, strengths of attacks, items... It's pretty incredible how badly you can get your ass kicked if you don't know what youre doing.

It's like fire emblem with animals and no perma-death. It's not an easy strategy game by any means. 

Shmiity
I think you're exaggerating a bit.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Shmiity"]

Lost-to-Apathy

I think you're exaggerating a bit.

the multiplayer is rpetty intense depending on how much you get into it.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#12 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

I've never actually played a Pokemon game what so ever and I'm only 24. If I wanted to play a Pokemon I;d very much like to play the original games first like Red,Blue or Yellow and then play some of the newest titles

starburst921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 starburst921
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Take one look at the new Mega Charizard: http://www.cullination.net/4/post/2013/10/garchomp-gets-mega-evolution-mewtwo-charizard-get-their-second.html Even knowing nothing about Pokemon, it's hard to deny the sheer awesomeness of it, really. Other than that, Pokemon has a lot of playthrough value for strategists and completionists, and even has a competitive culture outside the main games. There's something in it for nearly any kind of gamer.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#14 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

It has an awful storyline, but it is an incredibly deep RPG.

vrizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 vrizzle
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts

Lets just say I generally dislike RPG's of any kind, but for some reason I can get into pokemon because its simple yet a very deep game and ive been playing since the original

RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16 RatedSTARZ
Member since 2013 • 400 Posts

So for the last few weeks, I've heard an insane amount of hype over Pokemon X/Y. I'm 30 years old and I've never played a Pokemon game, but I am a huge RPG fan (as my currently playing list probably shows). I didn't play games much in jr high/high school when the series started and I always just chalked it up to be a kids series. Now seeing so many people on various forums, many in their 20s/30s/40s, so excited, I feel like I might be missing out. I don't really want to fork out for the money for it without knowing if I'd actually like it, so I figured I'd ask a few questions here.

I'm wondering if people who love the series can tell me why they love it and what's in it for a a 30 year old adult. Is it just a nostalgia thing for people who used to play it as a kid? Is the RPG aspect of the game good, or do most people just play for collecting/competitive multiplayer?

darktx2005
Nostalgia does play a huge role when getting these pokemon games, but honestly at the end of the day.... what makes Pokemon fun is just the idea and concept of adventure and capturing various monsters to become your personal war machines to defeat and conquer everyone in the world.... lol okay I may have over-exaggerated but it's a pretty awesome series man, and you should definitely at least give it a try :)
Nickprovs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Nickprovs
Member since 2008 • 1199 Posts

It's not really a 'monster-hunting' game. It's more of a collecting game where you can refine the monsters you collect and battle npc's, and other people. It's not all rock-paper-scissors as some reviews have coined. That phrase implies there is no/little logic in your choices. But in the game's more difficult battles and online, strategy is necessary. 

It's an old series that has a lot of memories drilled into the heads of society. I remember begging for Pokemon Red in ToysRUs when I was young and I liked it for the adventure. And I played it as an adventure game with the battles being a side-nuissance--even though I loved my pokemon. Now that the series has jumped into the 3D world, I'm hoping it'll bring me back to that nostalgic place that the last few games just couldn't.

But as for your case, I'm sure there's something there for you. I know many people who've gotten into the game for loads of different reasons. Some competitive, some just like to collect, and others for the same reason as I, to explore a world.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 turtlethetaffer

It's not really a 'monster-hunting' game. It's more of a collecting game where you can refine the monsters you collect and battle npc's, and other people. It's not all rock-paper-scissors as some reviews have coined. That phrase implies there is no/little logic in your choices. But in the game's more difficult battles and online, strategy is necessary. 

It's an old series that has a lot of memories drilled into the heads of society. I remember begging for Pokemon Red in ToysRUs when I was young and I liked it for the adventure. And I played it as an adventure game with the battles being a side-nuissance--even though I loved my pokemon. Now that the series has jumped into the 3D world, I'm hoping it'll bring me back to that nostalgic place that the last few games just couldn't.

But as for your case, I'm sure there's something there for you. I know many people who've gotten into the game for loads of different reasons. Some competitive, some just like to collect, and others for the same reason as I, to explore a world.

Nickprovs

You really hit the nail on the head. They're games so well amde that they work in many different ways.

For people who want deep multiplayer, you got it. There's tons to consider when making a team, assuming you don't automatically go for the most broken strategies.

For me, personally, I just enjoy exploring the (very well amde worlds) and taking in the atmosphere, along side collecting and just training Pokemon. I have a solid amount of playtime on each title (averaging about sixty hours per one version in each of since gen 3... Some a bit more, some a bit less) and that's because I just love exploring and battling and creating a team without worrying about how good they'll be competitively.  Usually once I beat a game I work on leveling up a bunch of guys that I want to make an Elite Four Sweeping team out of.

And, honestly, I don't think nostalgia has much to do with it.  Granted, yes, many people love the fond memories of the old games, but, to me, at least, the gameplay formula is just so well done that each new version is worth purchasing.  Despite the similar battle systems between each mode, I always look forward to seeing what changes were made and what kind of new world Nintendo has created.  I don't really play because I have fond memories (although, yes, I do have some of my first game, Crystal).  I play because I think it's a legitamately great series.

Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Moloch121
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

This was made as a joke but seriously look at this.

z

Moloch121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Moloch121
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

This was made as a joke but seriously look at this.

It's evolved over the years and for the better.