Article about the Wii U's power.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bdmckinley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bdmckinley
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

Click Here

I found this article earlier today. Not sure how much is actual truth or just flame-bait. It is interesting nonetheless. Please discuss.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's pure garbage

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

It's a bunch of babel and misinformation.

Wii u is basically comparable in raw power to an xbox 360, except it's got twice the main memory and a ridiculously fast eDRAM chip for graphics, and in general can get more out of the hardware than 360 because it's much more modern.

So Wii U can handle more modern effects with less cost, and thanks to all that RAM Wii U is able to use much higher res textures, and speed up loading as well as load entire levels into the memory without the need for streaming depending on the game (see pikmin 3 and DK tropical freeze). Having a 4x blu-ray drive helps with loading too, vs. the 2x drive in ps3. If a game takes a long time to load on Wii U, something didn't happen right.

We've just seen the tip of the iceberg, late generation Wii u games should be stunning. Nintendo is still in the transition stage from its Wii days

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@Chozofication said:

It's a bunch of babel and misinformation.

Wii u is basically comparable in raw power to an xbox 360, except it's got twice the main memory and a ridiculously fast eDRAM chip for graphics, and in general can get more out of the hardware than 360 because it's much more modern.

So Wii U can handle more modern effects with less cost, and thanks to all that RAM Wii U is able to use much higher res textures, and speed up loading as well as load entire levels into the memory without the need for streaming depending on the game (see pikmin 3 and DK tropical freeze). Having a 4x blu-ray drive helps with loading too, vs. the 2x drive in ps3. If a game takes a long time to load on Wii U, something didn't happen right.

We've just seen the tip of the iceberg, late generation Wii u games should be stunning. Nintendo is still in the transition stage from its Wii days

This.

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

spec wise it is more powerful than the ps360. it has much more ram,better gpu and exgtra edram. the the inferior thing in it is the cpu. but even xbone and ps4 went with a cheap cpu. if developers make engine specificatlly for the wiiu to optimize it we will see game look much better than curretn gen.

but xbone and ps4 is way more powerful than wiiu.

also wiiu os is very bad and underoptimised. they use 1 ful gb of ram to run it, the 360 uses i thing 128mb ram and its sooooo much faster and everything runs in the backround like friends list without delay. wiiu loads alot, reminds me of the ps3 where if u want to open anything it syncs and loads.

nintendo needs to create a new os that does not take alot of power from the system, make it simple and fast, something like the apple ios. i really think its the os of wiiu that is using so much of the systems power. also the system is doing good, this is the 2nd year and wiiu games look this good, in the future it will oonly look better.(as in all consoles)

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

nobody should support Microsoft period, no matter what they offer don't buy into their corrupt world of BS.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#7  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts
@pc-ps360 said:

also wiiu os is very bad and underoptimised. they use 1 ful gb of ram to run it, the 360 uses i thing 128mb ram and its sooooo much faster and everything runs in the backround like friends list without delay. wiiu loads alot, reminds me of the ps3 where if u want to open anything it syncs and loads.

nintendo needs to create a new os that does not take alot of power from the system, make it simple and fast, something like the apple ios. i really think its the os of wiiu that is using so much of the systems power. also the system is doing good, this is the 2nd year and wiiu games look this good, in the future it will oonly look better.(as in all consoles)

Microsoft has a lot of experience building operating systems, so it's no surprise that the 360 OS is so efficient. They do tend to have the mishap every now and then, though(Vista, for example). Nintendo, in contrast, has very little experience with building feature rich operating systems. The Wii and Gamecube were both barebones. Wii couldn't even store and boot downloaded software from the SD card until some time after launch. Wii U is their first shot at attempting something more robust.

I have no idea what the Wii U OS is doing in the background, but I'd love to know. They have to be using some really inefficient data structures to make the OS so bloated. I mean, it should never take more than 1-2 seconds to bring up a fairly simple menu, yet the Wii U would sit there for up to 12 seconds at launch to bring up Settings. Nintendo obviously didn't have it together out of the gate.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@yixingtpot: If you want to bash Microsoft, please go to the System Wars forum.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Oh boy. I'm not even touching this post. Wii U has more power then people think. That's all I'm saying.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jaysonguy

@Master_Of_Fools said:

Oh boy. I'm not even touching this post. Wii U has more power then people think. That's all I'm saying.

No it doesn't

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@Master_Of_Fools said:

No it doesn't

I've always guesstimated 2 xbox 360's put together for the wii u power.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Master_Of_Fools

@Jaysonguy: Jasonguy, as I have said before you are the king of Nintendo haters and trolls. So I don't even care what you say. All I know is I am right and you are wrong. Perhaps one day you can save up some money, get a Wii U Dev Kit and find out for yourself.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jaysonguy

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@Jaysonguy: Jasonguy, as I have said before you are the king of Nintendo haters and trolls. So I don't even care what you say. All I know is I am right and you are wrong. Perhaps one day you can save up some money, get a Wii U Dev Kit and find out for yourself.

Really? That's the best you have?

I know for a fact what the console can do. You and everyone else thinking it has some sort of hidden power is wrong.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

This is why Nintendo needs to prove itself first - hopefully with Zelda U/ Metroid & not with toon graphics/simple graphics/2D. Until it proves itself there's can be a billion article can state Wii U can do this & that..but if you can't see it on a game..then its pointless. Kinda like MS stating Xbone has secret sauce.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Master_Of_Fools

@Jaysonguy: Shin'en. That's all I need to say.