Are/were you happy with the Wii?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
I'll guess that there is a thread like this somewhere, but I want to get my two cents in. So, I purchased a Wii over the other consoles this gen. Were there games I want on... say... the PS3? Yes. Buuuut, when looking at my ten game library, all the games I still want, and the VC and GCN compatibility (I never played Metroid Prime or Wind Waker until I got the Wii), I must say I am quite happy with the decision.

My question to you is, are/were you happy with the Wii?

Obviously, my answer is yes, as I think the library and, believe it or not, 3rd party exclusives were some of the best games I have played. I also thought the Wii brought gaming back to its core, with games like the Nintendo staples and the 2D platformer games of 2010 being good examples. Obviously that's just me, I just want to know where you all stand :)

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#2 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
I believe I have around 20 - 30 games on the Wii and I must say I have been a very happy Wii gamer. The Wii was my first Nintendo console and it entertained me very well. I must admit there were times I wish I just got a PS3 instead and there were times when the Wii wasn't getting any use but overall I think it's a very underrated console that no one seems to utilize well. I got a gaming PC roughly 2 - 3 years in after owning a Wii because I just had to get my hands on Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Left 4 Dead, and Skyrim. I know quite a few people who own a Wii and think it's crap because all they own is Mario Party, Wii Sports, Just Dance, and other similar games. Quite sad really.
slapshakle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 slapshakle
Member since 2004 • 4410 Posts

I bought it for the exclusives, I would have been pretty bummed if it was the only console I bought this(last?) gen. I've got about 15 games but I doubt they would have been able to keep me busy for 7 years.

No new F-Zero game made me sad.

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AtelierFan
I know quite a few people who own a Wii and think it's crap because all they own is Mario Party, Wii Sports, Just Dance, and other similar games. Quite sad really.Kenny789
Yeah, I never really understood how you could do that to yourself. I mean, the quality games were/are out there. It doesn't really even take that much effort to be informed and find them.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts
yup. i used my wii enough for it to be a good purchase in my experience. if it was my only gaming platform i probably would have been frustrated as there was long periods where nothing of interest was coming. but as a system to go along with my PC and DS it was great to have. there were enough first and 3rd party exclusives on the system for it to be a great purchase. some games like xenoblade, galaxy and MH3 made me forget about my other platforms for a few weeks :).
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#7 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
[QUOTE="Kenny789"]I know quite a few people who own a Wii and think it's crap because all they own is Mario Party, Wii Sports, Just Dance, and other similar games. Quite sad really.AtelierFan
Yeah, I never really understood how you could do that to yourself. I mean, the quality games were/are out there. It doesn't really even take that much effort to be informed and find them.

Indeed. I'd understand and respect them if they actually tried the games and didn't like them or they followed the games and didn't find them interesting, but to call a system crap without having tried the good games is just ridiculous and unfair. I've owned systems I didn't really like but I still acknowledge the good games they had :/
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#8 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts
Yeah, I'm happy with it. Nintendo could have handled it better in it's final years, but I got enough enjoyment out of it.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

meh! overall its ok. :)

Tonindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Tonindo
Member since 2006 • 563 Posts

I'm happy with how the Wii turned out. It has some great games. Still, I'm glad it isn't my only console.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts
Even today the Wii still has a potent library that should suffice nearly anyone serious about gaming. The only problem I found is the short shelf-life of so many of the titles. There are so many great games that seemed to hit the shelves and disappear quite quickly there after.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Most definitely.

I  poured a lot of hours into the system. Had a lot of fun with it :)

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
Yup very happy with the Wii. Games like MadWorld, Zelda Skyward Sword, Red Steel 2, and Metroid Prime 3 Corruption used the Wii remote and nunchuck so well. I would have liked to see a few more FPS and JRPG games released for it. I found the lack of software in 2011-2012 quite disappointing, but I'm guessing games didn't stand much chance of selling well with so many Wiis hacked.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm quite happy with it. If I didn't get the Wii, I'd be missing out on many of the best games of the past generation. Nintendo just has the best 1st party studios in the industry even if they are working on comparatively weaker tech than the competition. In fact when I make a top 10 games list of the best of the past gen, Nintendo takes up half of the slots with Wii games. 

-Donkey Kong Country Returns (one of the greatest platformers ever created full stop)

-The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword (an experience like no other. It proves that motion controls can be done so right)

-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (the final chapter in one of gaming's greatest trilogies)

-Super Mario Galaxy (bringing 3D platforming to new heights)

-Super Mario Galaxy 2 (completely and utterly upstages the first in creativity, diversity, and content)

-Punch-Out!! (an unbelieveably well designed and challenging gameplay experience)

-New Super Mario Bros. Wii (a fantastic mario platformer with some of the best secrets in the Mario franchise in its entirety)

This is just a list of the games I feel deserve a 9+ score on the console. I'm not even counting all the other great titles exclusive to Wii. Good times. I believe I spent over 100 hours in each of the above titles.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
It was a great console. As long as Nintendo's first party can churn out games like this, everything will be okay.
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#16 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I'm pretty happy with my system. I have around 40 physical games for Wii, then a small collection of digital games, pusing my overall library to nearly 50. As you've said, there are some really great 3rd party exclusives, Red Steel 2 among them. Some of those games did pointer control so well that it made me wish other games could run on the platform just so I could play them that way, including Mass Effect and The Darkness.

On top of all the great games I have, the system was extremely reliable. I went through five Xbox 360s before calling it quits in 2007, but my Wii has never given me any problems.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Wasn't the best, and I wasn't a big fan of the motion controls, but it had some great games. Overall I was pleased with the system, but like many others have said I'm glad I had other consoles to fall back on.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#18 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Yeah I'm happy because of the games I've played.

Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, Super Mario Galaxy, No More Heroes, Okami, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Klonoa, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2 were all fun games that I enjoyed quite a lot and games like Okami, Twilight Princess, Galaxy 1 and 2, and Brawl are easily what I consider some of the highest quality games I've played.

I'm going through Skyward Sword right now and am absolutely in love it and I have The Last Story waiting for me after that.  I played far fewer games on my Wii than I did on 360 before the stupid thing broke or on PC, but the quality of the games I played made up for it.

There were some duds though, Metroid Prime 3 left me super sad.  Such a disappointing game.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I bought all three home consoles last generation and I consider the Wii the best of the three by a wide margin.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I had 25 games not counting VC titles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#21 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

Absolutely. There were a wide number of games that I could enjoy both by myself and with friends/family.

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dino7c
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

some awesome games games for sure but it should have been HD.  Mario Galaxy in HD would possibly be the greatest game of all time.

overall pretty happy but it could have been so much better with slightly better hardware (not saying match xbox 360)

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#23 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

It certainly was not my favorite Nintendo console ever, but I definitely got some fun out of it with awesome games like Donkey Kong Country Returns, Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii, No More Heroes, the Galaxy games, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, and Xenoblade. Not to mention the Virtual Console and backwards compatability.

TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#24 TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

What I've always noticed, since around the N64 days, Nintendo consoles end up getting a ton of hate during their run, but once that generation is over, all the hates disappears and the console receives praise. (N64, Gamecube, Wii)

I wonder if the Wii U will gain a following. No doubt it has its defenders. Even if it fails, it may become a "Dreamcast/Saturn-esque" classic. 

Collie_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Collie_Lover
Member since 2008 • 962 Posts

The Wii is my favorite console and I am still getting a lot of enjoyment from it. I am trying to beat Metroid: Other M right now. If there had been a flood of additional Wii games in the last 2 years I would not have been able to keep up. I have 49 Wii games in my collection and 15 in the wishlist, and I might even buy a Wii game not on the wishlist on impulse. I even purchased extra controllers to collect them-the PDP afterglow controlers are a lot of fun. My plan is to save up to purchase a Wii U for Christmas 2013 or shortly after, because I am sure most of my games will work just fine on it, and I would have the added features of the Wii U (gamepad, HD, next gen games, etc.). As it is, I will be lucky to play all of the Wii games I presently own at least one time. When the Wii came out tiny LCD TVs were around $500. Now you can get a 32' TV for around $250. I will also have to get an HD TV at some point so the Wii U games will look even better. Perhaps many people held back from getting the Wii U because the Wii has been such a great console. But I also think that the recession cut into sales. It has been previously pointed out that sales for expensive phones and tablets were up despite the recession (the dollar is worth 16 cents less compared to 2006, gas is almost 1 dollar more now that in 2006). I just think people can justify getting a smart phone for example because "phones are a necessity" and "I need it for work" (as opposed to game consoles). In addition, the phone companies have made these hard to resist payment plans. I don't know what to say about tablet sales-they have been very popular for a long time. The Wii U has been critisized for having a tablet-like gamepad, but Nintendo has simply tried to incorporate the trend into console gaming.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

Up until around midway through 2010 I was. I was very disappointed with how Nintendo handled the transition between the Wii and WiiU. The system had a lot long droughts too, but I count many of its exclusives among my favorite games of all time. I greatly enjoyed the system.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

Yes, it's a great system. I have Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Super Mario Galaxy, & 3 Zelda games. And then the Wii's VC. Overall, I'm very pleased.

TxTech1923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TxTech1923
Member since 2013 • 662 Posts
More than happy, it was/is easily my favorite console of all time. Games like Xenoblade, DKCR, NSMB, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, Red Steel 2, Silent Hill, and many others all made it a fantastic experience.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Yea I played my Wii religiously from November 19th 2006 all the way through the end of 2008 and then after that I just lost track. It broke for a while too, not helping things and I lost all my data too. I didn't really pay a lot of attention to it from 2009-2011 until Skyward Sword. Then I jumped back in and enjoyed a lot of games I missed. All in all Im' pretty happy with how it played out and wish I had paid better attention to it in its prime

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
I have 62 Wii games. I think that should answer your question.
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#31 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

More than happy, it is easily my favorite console of all time. Games like Xenoblade, DKCR, NSMB, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, Red Steel 2, Silent Hill, and many others all made it a fantastic experience.TxTech1923

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRAltJh-q-BD17J8FFozt

The Wii is the greatest console of all time.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
yes iam happy wii its good console
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts
It was a sweet console. I had more fun with the GC, but the Wii had some gems that would've been awful to miss.
Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts
On another board way back when the Doomsday theories were circulating, there was a debate about which console you would take with you into a bunker and I choose the Wii because it had a great library that didn't need MP in order to utilize it to its full potential. You didn't need internet access in order to have fun with it. There are many single player games that will occupy you for hours on end.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Overall The Wii was the last system I bought during the 7th generation. I bought the Wii only when it was offered in Black. With 2 pack in games Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. along with the wiimotion plus controller. Plus a promotion for a secord wii remotion controller thrown in.

So I have 17 virtual console games and 14 retail disc games for my Nintendo Wii.

Compared to 56 Disc retail Xbox 360 and 7 Xbox live arcade games and 138 Playstation 3 Blu Ray disc retail games and 61 PSN downloadable games. 199 PS3 games in total. Both Retail Disc and Download games. 

So 199 games for my PS3, 64 games for my Xbox 360 games and only 31 games for my Nintendo Wii. So by far the PS3 and Xbox 360 far outnumber my Nintendo Wii games. 

The Wii is the last console I bought in the 7th generation and is the console I have the least games for only 31. Just 14 are Wii games the rest are from the virtual console 17 Wii VC games. 

So overall the Wii was "Meh" for me. my least favorite 7th gen console.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Great console. Had so many games for it. But now it's just my Gamecube machine.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Absolutely. Obviously it could have done some things better, but it's tied with the SNES for my favorite Nintendo console. I have 31 games making it my biggest console collection, without even going into all of my Wii Ware and Virtual Console downloads. Some of the standouts for me are Xenoblade and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. I can't say enough good things about the Gamecube compatability either! 

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AtelierFan

Absolutely. Obviously it could have done some things better, but it's tied with the SNES for my favorite Nintendo console. I have 31 games making it my biggest console collection, without even going into all of my Wii Ware and Virtual Console downloads. Some of the standouts for me are Xenoblade and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. I can't say enough good things about the Gamecube compatability either! 

Pixel-Perfect
TvC is awesome! Do you have Sin and Punishment? I recommend that, too! I'm still debating spending the $$ on Xenoblade.
AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AtelierFan

Overall The Wii was the last system I bought during the 7th generation. I bought the Wii only when it was offered in Black. With 2 pack in games Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort. along with the wiimotion plus controller. Plus a promotion for a secord wii remotion controller thrown in.

So I have 17 virtual console games and 14 retail disc games for my Nintendo Wii.

Compared to 56 Disc retail Xbox 360 and 7 Xbox live arcade games and 138 Playstation 3 Blu Ray disc retail games and 61 PSN downloadable games. 199 PS3 games in total. Both Retail Disc and Download games. 

So 199 games for my PS3, 64 games for my Xbox 360 games and only 31 games for my Nintendo Wii. So by far the PS3 and Xbox 360 far outnumber my Nintendo Wii games. 

The Wii is the last console I bought in the 7th generation and is the console I have the least games for only 31. Just 14 are Wii games the rest are from the virtual console 17 Wii VC games. 

So overall the Wii was "Meh" for me. my least favorite 7th gen console.

Megavideogamer
I'm thinking about getting a PS3, and if I do I don't even see wanting a quarter of the games you have.
Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

AtelierFan

TvC is awesome! Do you have Sin and Punishment? I recommend that, too! I'm still debating spending the $$ on Xenoblade.

I used to. It was pretty cool, but it wasn't really my thing and I didn't see myself picking it up again. So I sold it. :P 

And I do recommend Xenoblade, even if you have to spend around eighty on it it'll likely average out to be around a dollar an hour. :)

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

No, the games are boring. I couldn't play the same game for over an hour.

(except for Guitar Hero)

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

Honestly I think the Wii has best console for this gen, but nothing certain PS3 is great too so it is hard to say.  Only console I regret is the Xbox 360.  I could count the number of good exclusives on that system with my fingers.  My Wii collection will be finished soon and I will probably have about 35 games at the end.  Probably only my Gamecube and PS2 collections will top that.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#43 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

Only console I regret is the Xbox 360.  I could count the number of good exclusives on that system with my fingers. 

Sora278

My playtime and knowledge of the 360 is limited and all, 

but I really can't think of any major 360 exclusive franchises outisde of Forza, Gears of War, and Halo

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

Well I do not consider Halo good. XD  But Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey for the 360 too.

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AtelierFan

Well I do not consider Halo good. XD  But Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey for the 360 too.

Sora278
I know Halo has its detractors (I used to be one of them!), but to this day, I still thing Halo 1, co-op and on Legendary is one of the best gaming/fps experiences I have ever had!
hyperjj3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#46 hyperjj3000
Member since 2008 • 974 Posts
There are only a handful of games on the wii that i actually enjoyed, i didn't like the motion controls at all and mainly played games that allowed the classic controller. I much prefer the Wii U over the Wii, its a shame that it's not doing so well because it is a much better console in my opinion.
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#47 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
I have more than 60 titles, and more or less the same for Wiiware/VC, and I could cal at least 2/3 of them, essential for a Wii's library so, even as I missed on some great games from the other platforms, I still believe this is one hell of a console and I'm glad all of those games (except DDR), are playable on my Wii U. So yes, I'm very happy with my Wii(U)!
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

Yes, but more so because of the virtual console than Wii games. My highlights for the Wii are Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess, and TP was a GC game technically.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#49 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

Absolutely.

When it comes to multiplatform titles it was not as good as the GC, but it had great exclusives.

RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#50 RatedSTARZ
Member since 2013 • 400 Posts

I think Nintendo has released some pretty awesome games on their Wii console.

Off the top of my head:

No More Heroes, Super Mario Galaxy Series, Brawl, Skyward Sword, Punch Out... the list just goes on and on :P. Glad to have owned one :)