absence of a reassuring whir

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OmitName
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts

while i was playing an unremarkable match in modern warfare 3 online i received an error message. all black screen plain white text. fine the game has frozen before. that sort of error message is new, but on with it. i put in another game, the splash screen comes up, im given two options 'wii menu' or 'start,' i choose start. same ominous black screen, and my heart sinks. now im not even afforded the privilege of the start screen in the disc channel. only a friendly nintendo 'klump' and 'unable to read disc.' when i put the disc in its received well, the short unalarming buzz, then those two or so little adjusting sounds its always made, and onto the silence. cruel and outstanding against the contrast of it's former reassuring whir. it refuses to whir against anything disc shaped. not wii, cube, nor cd. its a plain wii. the sort with the cube ports. it wasnt acting iffy, it gave no herald to it's failing. the wii was cared for, loved and appreciated; it got plenty of beauty sleeps.

after a poke or two at google all i have so far is 'call nintnedo.' that's useless to me on this side of the wii u, with a bought used wii. anyone know special magics? will a wii memory format help? or am i left only to thrash myself against the muck, and battle on against google my old foe? im pathetically over bummed about the ordeal. i dont wish to loose my allies on mw3 or to start again after going around the bend again post 10th prestige. (i had the pretty green badge and almost all the stickers i sought after.) i would be most grateful of any help or insight.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@OmitName:

So let me get this straight, your Wii will not read Modern Warfare 3. You try to read other disc's that you got, but the Wii will not read anything, no GC or Wii games. Everything else is working fine. Its sounds like you disc drive bit the dust. You can buy another on the internet and swap it using a Tri Screwdriver, or you can send to Nintendo to fix it, all this cost money though.

I hear some take broken Wii's up to Gamestop and trade them in hoping they dont check it, then they drive to another Gamestop and buy another Wii.

Or some people buy a Wii at Gamestop and return the broken one telling them it didnt work and that they want their money back. Gamestop ask if they want to try another Wii and people say, "Naw, ill save up for a Wii U, i heard they can play Wii games."

Or they just buy a Wii at Gamestop for about $80 and call it a day.

I dont know if formatting your memory will help you, my nephew stuck two disc into my Wii one time and it broke the drive somehow. I disassembled it and removed the disc, but my Wii would never read disc again. Mine didnt do black screen though or whatever yours is doing, mine would just spin the disc and then do the ? unable to read disc.

Hope you can get it fixed and find a solution though, Wii is an awesome throwback system to have for GC use cause you can use composite cables which help with quality when playing GC on HD TV's.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OmitName

i have mario 64, sin & punishment, donkey kong, galaga, and super star wars on that thing. i never did much more than give it a glancing notice, but i have a reference (in my brains) to a wii transfer something. that probably has more to do with trading up to a wii u. lets say, in the realm of the crazies, i happen upon one of those, i can transfer that stuff i reckon, mw3 profile data also? can this process be of use from one wii to another?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By iandizion713

@OmitName:

I think you have to contact Nintendo to do a Wii to Wii Virtual Console games transfer, although you can transfer your save data and stuff using an SD card.

Here is Nintendo's info on transferring Save data, it says not all games can be saved though.

You can transfer VC games, etc that you have from Wii to Wii U, but you can not go backwards.

WARNING i have no clue how to do this stuff, ive never done a transfer. but i can guarantee that you can transfer your Virtual Console Games from Wii to Wii U. Its a process though. Once you transfer your stuff its gone from the system. So i think you have to maybe save your saves etc onto a SD card before you do a system transfer, then transfer all your stuff. Im not exactly sure step by step, i recommend checking into it first and watching Videos and stuff from Nintendo.

Here is Nintendo's FAQ's on the subject.

And here is a tutorial from Nintendo on how to transfer your content from Wii to Wii U

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 OmitName

thanks

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 iandizion713

@OmitName:

NP, good luck on finding a solution.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OmitName

i think i have resolved to the idea that i will have to replace the disc drive. ~25 bucks dollars via the internets. i just have to muster the xhutzpa to start digging at it.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iandizion713

@OmitName: Its fun to disassemble it and take a peek under the cover. I remember disassembling my Gamecube and was amazed at how they stacked the inside. Wii inside was awesome too, shes a beauty.

Here is some helpful info on working on the Wii, they have great pics to help you along the way.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OmitName

@iandizion713: it probably wont be fun for me. i'll probably rattle out all my nuts and bolts trying not to mess it up. i really want my nintendos back.

i took apart my original xbox once. i didnt fix it, but i didnt make it worse. i dont know where i'll come across those contrary screw drivers.

by the way, thank you really. i posted my plea on three forums you were the only one who said anything besides telling me how weird i am.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iandizion713

@OmitName: Np, you can get the Tri-Wing Screwdriver from Amazon or some other place on the internet. They are usually really cheap, i think i payed about 6 dollars total for mine a long time ago. I see one on Amazon now with good reviews for $3 and free shipping. It a good tool to use considering bout every Nintendo console/device uses Tri-Wing screws.

Also, i bout forgot to mention, make sure you get a drive that plays Gamecube games also. Some of the newer drives only play Wii games. It should say so in the FAQ's. I say a drive on Amazon for $26 that plays Gamecube games. Can buy the screwdriver along with it as a combo.

A tip for keeping up with the screws and stuff is to use a muffin pan from the kitchen and put the screws kinda in order as you go. If you got a muffin pan with 6-12 slots it helps a lot in keeping them organized.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 OmitName

@iandizion713: a muffin pan isnt a bad idea. i use a bath towel. so they dont bounce with a click and disappear forever. i also keep them in the general pattern i found them in. im grateful you mentioned that cube thing i might have over looked that.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OmitName

@iandizion713: finally getting a little bit of momentum now. http://oi39.tinypic.com/zvdapf.jpg
i used the serial number to look up which disc drive it takes. will that be enough to assume it plays gamecube games since it's appropriate for that wii's iteration? i pawed at the sell page a bit, and there was no mention of gamecube.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 iandizion713

@OmitName: Im not sure, i think White Wii can take any drive if im not mistaken.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By OmitName

this whiny little story didnt have a happy ending. to start i was sent the wrong drive, the wrong screwdrivers, and it all took far longer than it should have to show up. they sent me a plain standard tool size screw driver with japanese characters on it. the drive wasnt the one i ordered. not the correct i.d. or whatever / it doesnt play cube games. ah well, count my blessings installing it was super easy, i managed. at least i can play my wii games, i still have my cube somewhere in my closet i think. happy, i D smile as i play my call of dutys. at the start of this week, to my horror, they reset everyone's profile at the source. all allies, status, progress undone. the googles is greedy and stuborn and wishes not to tell me why. nonsense for nonsense sake, all that nonsense for nothing. droopy, sadness, facepalm.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that man. Even after you went through all the trouble to get your Wii running again. At least you know you can take it apart now and clean it. I do that with my old consoles. Heck I do with with my 360. I wonder why they wiped everything?