$50 price cut, how much will things improve?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

The Wii U sold like 42k in June in the US and a paltry 29k during all of July in the US. During August it could see a small boost due to Pikmin 3 but it will also be low since no one will buy the system in between August 28th and September 19th. With that Wind Waker HD bundle and th e$50 price cut how much do you think Wii U sales will improve?

For August I could see the system getting close to 50k sales due to Pikmin 3 (In the US) and for September I wonder if it can even break 100k. Other consoles with huge libraries have sold 100k-130k for this year mostly so maybe the Wii U will finally join their ranks? Or will it fall short?

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
Hm hard to say. September has Rayman Legends and The Wonderful 101 coming out, but Wii U's sales might not see any serious growth until October when Wind Waker HD is released.
Hate_Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Hate_Squad
Member since 2007 • 1357 Posts

not at all to not much.many casuals dont even know it exist and most of the rest that do dont care about the wii name anymore.once the next-gen consoles are released its even deader than  now.if it releases some good games it may get a cult following but it will never break 5-10 mil sales(even that may be an exaggaration)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Avatar_Taxidous

not at all to not much.many casuals dont even know it exist and most of the rest that do dont care about the wii name anymore.once the next-gen consoles are released its even deader than  now.if it releases some good games it may get a cult following but it will never break 5-10 mil sales(even that may be an exaggaration)

Hate_Squad
:lol: The Hate Squad has spoken.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

Hm hard to say. September has Rayman Legends and The Wonderful 101 coming out, but Wii U's sales might not see any serious growth until October when Wind Waker HD is released.Avatar_Taxidous

I mostly agree with this, only I think it may not be until November when the system will actually see a significant enough of a boost. And as for how much, who knows? I don't think 100K is unreasonable in the coming months, but it's certainly not a high mark either. Demand can be an extremely tough thing to gauge, and given the Wii U's severe lack of demand over the course of its existance, it's tough to make a definite claim one way or the other.

That said, I still think the price drop was most certainly needed and will make a positive impact at some point. The $350 baseline for the Deluxe bundle simply wasn't working, and now, the question will be answered about whether or not the $300 point that was originally the basic bundle's was ever really enticing to begin with. If not, then it's safe to say there's a more serious issue Nintendo will have to be prompt to addressing.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I do not think you will see a significant sales boost until next year when Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. are released. Pricing is not the main problem; the lack of games is. Anyone who would have bought a Wii U for games like Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101 already has one. We need Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash. Bros. to bring in the rest. 

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

If Nintendo really wants to improve the sales of the system quickly they need to release a fun multiplayer game. CoD may be the closest thing to that this. SM3DW may be the next thing to that. But since MKWU and SSBU are so far away, it would be interesting if another game could take that place.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

The WiiU has the price advantage and a solid lineup of games. All it needs now is alot of advertising...which they have yet to do since launch.

Sora278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sora278
Member since 2009 • 1496 Posts

I think the Wind Waker bundle will really help.  They kinda screwed themselves though by making the game digital instead of physical.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

The WiiU has the price advantage and a solid lineup of games. All it needs now is alot of advertising...which they have yet to do since launch.

thetravman

Yeah that's the real key.  This could basically be a relaunch for the system as most people have never heard of it.  With advertisements, the great lineup and the lowish price it could do really good.  Nintendo usually sucks at advertising so I'm not too confident.  Also the Wind Waker comes out September 20th digitally so it could work with the price cut.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Avatar_Taxidous

[QUOTE="thetravman"]

AlmightyDerek

Yeah that's the real key.  This could basically be a relaunch for the system as most people have never heard of it.  With advertisements, the great lineup and the lowish price it could do really good.  Nintendo usually sucks at advertising so I'm not too confident.  Also the Wind Waker comes out September 20th digitally so it could work with the price cut.

I hope Nintendo rolls out some good ad campaigns for the Wii U and its lineup this year.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

the price cut isnt until sept 20...at the end of the month..

it wont be until oct when we should see results...

should be more than 100k a month. with maybe 300k on black friday.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

the price cut isnt until sept 20...at the end of the month..

it wont be until oct when we should see results...

should be more than 100k a month. with maybe 300k on black friday.

KBFloYd

NPD data, which I specifically mentioned in the OP. will track the last 10 days of Sept (20th-30th) and the first few days of October. If the price drop helps I'd say Sept 20th-30th is plenty of time to get some boosts. Its not like people will just wait until October 4th to buy Wind Waker HD and a Wii U separately for $380 with tax. They'll just go ahead and buy the $299 system on Sept 20th.

Black Friday I could see 300k-500k that weekend alone. Depends on how big of a buzz they can get for Mario 3D. They need to advertise it to no end. I'd say 650k-800k overall for the month of November and possibly 500k-700k for December, once again depending on how well they market Wii Fit U.

If they bring out a $299 32GB Wii Fit U bundle with the boar in December expect sales to REALLY turn around with the casuals

EDIT: We'll see the results of the price drop the second thursday or first thursday of October I think, October 10th I believe is when NPD data will come out

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

I honestly dont know, persoanlly, I feel people shouldnt really look at the sales numbers till after chritmas season has passed. Lets face it, we are starting the lead up to the holidays and some (including myself) are holding off to get games (or systems in this case) till later. Whether its on black friday, a gift, or with christmas money. I plan on getting most of my games via holidays.

This isnt even mentioning the fact two other consoles are releasing as well, and the Wii-U may be over shadowed by the hype.

Its a tough call either way. The price cut, good bundles, and great sowftware lineup should really increase sales.

However, holidays will almost guarntee big numbers wont start rolling in till black friday onwards and the other consoles dropping.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Not much IMO as I don't think price was the issue -for gamers, it was a lack of games -for the general public, many don't even know it is a new console
calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

I think biggest sales will be in Nov. and Dec. as this will be justified purchases for Christmas for many families.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts
While the library was sufficient, in terms of quality, it wasn't enough to garner attention and excitement but that seems to have changed starting in August (here in the states) with Pikmin 3. That's when the drought started taking a turn for the better.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
no one cares about the price cut. but games like mario and pikmin should help *some*. but this mario isn't gonna be the huge system seller they need.
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
It will be the next 3DS, that's my guess.
pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#20 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I don't think the change will be felt right now. I feel like it will only come with Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D World.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Not much until the games start coming.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts

Think we gotta wait til Super Mario 3D World before Wii-U gets back on track. I think it should follow a similar pattern as the 3DS. Wind Waker should see maybe 100k in sales for October. I think December has got to be the strongest month for sales. Right before Christmas, Donkey Kong releases early December and Mario late November,  and plus Watch Dogs, Batman Arkham Origins, Assasins Creed Black Flag and Call of Duty Ghost will be all out by then. Sonic also releases and that looks great so far. If you look at it, the Wii-U is a cheaper present for children then a PS4, and its getting most of the big third party games this holiday season, so it might be the best present.Â