3DS shut off while in coat pocket and will not turn back on, please help.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

This just happened to me not even a few minutes ago. I had just put my 3DS in my coat pocket after playing a game, walked down a hill to my room, took it out, and found that not only had it shut itself off, but it will not turn back on. I do not think it is a battery problem, as I have it plugged into a charger right now, and it still won't work. The battery wasn't even running low when I put it in my pocket.

Is there anything I can do to get it to work again? It's sitting on the charger right now, and the charging light is even on, so something's still gotta be working in it. I should also mention it suffered a direct impact from someone walking right into my extended hand, but it was working fine after that.

Words cannot express how much I'm hoping it's not busted. I have the absolute worst luck with handheld systems ever since the first DS came out. :(

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Sounds like an issue with the display but I'm not sure. You're best bet would be to call Nintendo.
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Give it some time. Charge it over night. Try turning it off and on another time. Relax. If nothing changes contact Nintendo they'll take care of you. They'll transfer your content if it needs to be repaired/exchanged/etc.

My 3DS will randomly shut off the display in sleep mode and not come back until I turn it off and turn it back on. When it does this it always takes a bit longer to boot up than usual. This literally happened to me on March 28th 2011, my second day of owning the system. It happens every now and then but isn't something to worry about.

Hopefully your solution is as simple to solve as mine was. Good luck! Let us know what happens.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#4 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

TRY REMOVING THE BATTERY AND RE PUTTING IT BACK IN ,   OR HOLD DOWN POWER BUTTON FOR FEW SECONDS SEE WHAT HAPPENS,  IF NEITHER OF THESE WORK CALL NINTENDO 

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#5 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

I have had that happen when I closed my system a second after doing a soft reset while playing Fire Emblem. I had to hold down the power button for a few seconds and that got it turned all the way off and I was able to turn it back on. A battery pull would probably work too.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 1PMrFister

Give it some time. Charge it over night. Try turning it off and on another time. Relax. If nothing changes contact Nintendo they'll take care of you. They'll transfer your content if it needs to be repaired/exchanged/etc.

My 3DS will randomly shut off the display in sleep mode and not come back until I turn it off and turn it back on. When it does this it always takes a bit longer to boot up than usual. This literally happened to me on March 28th 2011, my second day of owning the system.

bonesawisready5
I've had what you described happen to me a few times before. Unfortunately, this is different. When I say the 3DS shut off, I mean it completely shut off. The power light, wireless light, and 3D light are all off, and holding the power button down for any amount of time won't bring it back on. Letting it charge overnight didn't help, either (and I know it was charging because the orange light came on). I'm starting to wonder if I've somehow knocked the battery loose. If that's the case, then my only choice would probably be to call Nintendo.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 logicalfrank

[QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

My 3DS will randomly shut off the display in sleep mode and not come back until I turn it off and turn it back on. When it does this it always takes a bit longer to boot up than usual. This literally happened to me on March 28th 2011, my second day of owning the system.

1PMrFister

I've had what you described happen to me a few times before. Unfortunately, this is different. When I say the 3DS shut off, I mean it completely shut off. The power light, wireless light, and 3D light are all off, and holding the power button down for any amount of time won't bring it back on. Letting it charge overnight didn't help, either (and I know it was charging because the orange light came on). I'm starting to wonder if I've somehow knocked the battery loose. If that's the case, then my only choice would probably be to call Nintendo.

The back of the 3DS is just held on w/ regular screws. All you need is a small screw driver to open it. I dunno if this would void your warranty or anything though. I would hope not but who knows.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 1PMrFister

[QUOTE="1PMrFister"][QUOTE="bonesawisready5"]

logicalfrank

The back of the 3DS is just held on w/ regular screws. All you need is a small screw driver to open it. I dunno if this would void your warranty or anything though. I would hope not but who knows.

My warranty's probably already expired, so no hassles there. :P

Although now I need to find a small screwdriver.

RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

Unscrew the back and remove the battery. Then charge it. If that does not work, buy a new battery. Never leave your 3DS charging more then it should. That could kill your battery.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 logicalfrank

Unscrew the back and remove the battery. Then charge it. If that does not work, buy a new battery. Never leave your 3DS charging more then it should. That could kill your battery.

RiKanKiDD

You should be able to keep the Lithium-ion battery in a 3DS on the charger when you're not using it.

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

[QUOTE="RiKanKiDD"]

logicalfrank

You should be able to keep the Lithium-ion battery in a 3DS on the charger when you're not using it.

I leave mine on the charging dock for days at a time and works perfectly fine just like brand new. 

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 1PMrFister

Almost forgot about this thread.

Anyways, I'm almost positive that something in the 3DS' circuitry has been knocked loose. I dropped it on the floor while getting it ready to send off to Nintendo to get it repaired, and it came back on after that. However, shaking it up turned it back off. I'll be shipping it off in a couple days, so I guess you could consider this issue resolved. Just thought I'd give you all some closure to my story. ;)

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Almost forgot about this thread.

Anyways, I'm almost positive that something in the 3DS' circuitry has been knocked loose. I dropped it on the floor while getting it ready to send off to Nintendo to get it repaired, and it came back on after that. However, shaking it up turned it back off. I'll be shipping it off in a couple days, so I guess you could consider this issue resolved. Just thought I'd give you all some closure to my story. ;)

1PMrFister

Hopefully your replacement arrives asap and you never have another issue. Good luck!

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

Nintendo has excellent customer service, just call them.

Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

Nintendo has excellent customer service, just call them.