3DS - Saving and playing games off of an SD card?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JesusFreak1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 JesusFreak1990
Member since 2007 • 1298 Posts

I bought an 8 GB SDHC card for my 3DS, which seems to be working just fine for saving things like pictures, but for some reason I noticed that DSiWare titles I purchased, downloaded to the system memory without even giving me a choice of picking the SD card. I went to the system settings and tried to copy the titles over to the card, but it tells me "If you copy this software to the SD card, you will be unable to launch it. Is this ok?".

So my question is, how do I set this up so I can run my games off the card? I heard there was a way, despite what the 3DS's message says. And the system memory is so very limited, It'll be full in no time if I can't figure this out.

AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

You can't run DSi games from and SD card because they were designed to run off the system memory in the DSi. You can only run 3DS exclusive games and programs off the SD card because they were designed to do that. Nintendo could have developers patch the games or something to run off the SD card, but probably won't. For now you will just have to store them on the system memory. The SD card option is just for backing up software.

JesusFreak1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JesusFreak1990
Member since 2007 • 1298 Posts

You can't run DSi games from and SD card because they were designed to run off the system memory in the DSi. You can only run 3DS exclusive games and programs off the SD card because they were designed to do that. Nintendo could have developers patch the games or something to run off the SD card, but probably won't. For now you will just have to store them on the system memory. The SD card option is just for backing up software.

AlmightyDerek

Aw, that's lame. :( Ty for the info though.