This topic is locked from further discussion.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

So a recent thread got us discussing the Legend of Zelda timeline. It wasn't really the focus of the thread and I wanted to discuss more things about it... so yeah, here's this one.

My questions mainly are where do you think A Link Between Worlds and the new Zelda U fall in the timeline?

I know many people believe the timeline is just bogus, because it's hard to connect the first Zelda games in any way really, however I think this is only true of the games up until Ocarina of Time. After Ocarina of Time came Majora's Mask and then Wind Waker; both were very clear continuations of the events in Ocarina of Time, and from Wind Waker onwards, I'm willing to bet Nintendo has had a timeline in mind when developing them (if not since Wind Waker, then at the very least since the publication of their timeline).

My point is the following: you can have all the objections in the world about the connection of the games before Ocarina of Time (and quite possibly a few of them after), but now that there is an "official timeline" it can almost be taken for granted that the games from, at the very least, Skyward Sword onward will have connections.

"that wasn't long at all, I read all of it!" tl;dr: where do ALBW and Zelda U go on the timeline?

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#2 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

@ianhh6: ALBW I haven't finished yet. My assumption is that it falls somewhere near a Link to the Past. So it'll be in that portion of the timeline.

We really know nothing about Zelda U. I would place it in the Twilight Princess timeline.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Catalli  Moderator

@sonic_spark: True, for Zelda U it would be pure speculation at this point, though I think we can already rule out the great sea timeline due to a lack of, well... sea :p

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#4  Edited By freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

I'll just post this here for easy image on how the time line is. As for A Link Between Worlds, Im guessing its after Link's Awakening. For Zelda U, more information would be needed, but Im guessing it would take the route of "The Dark World & The Hero's Descendants

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

According to Nintendo of America, A Link Between Worlds is between Link's Awakening and The Legend of Zelda:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/403707162645372928/photo/1

As for Zelda U, we don't have enough information yet. I'm just taking a guess and saying it's after Skyward Sword and before The Minish Cap, where the large open world is being established as Hyrule, as indicated at the end of Skyward Sword.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Catalli  Moderator

Huh that's interesting... I get it being placed on that particular line, but I also would have thought they might place it closer to Skyward Sword, what with all the links between the two (cracks in the earth, upside down triforce and all). Yuga reminds me a lot of Ghirahim too.

Also, while this is pretty baseless, I think Zelda U will come right after SS too, as the first game set in Hyrule.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#7 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@ianhh6 said:

Also, while this is pretty baseless, I think Zelda U will come right after SS too, as the first game set in Hyrule.

Looks like it might.