Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Will47 (6826 posts) -

tumblr_m9kjtbtayu1qgaf9s.jpg

Nintendo annouced that the Oracle games are coming out on the eShop in Japan. It seem that today Eiji Aonuma announced via the Miiverse that they will launch in "other territories" at a later date.

Anyone else a huge fan of those games? With this we should be able to have 8 Zelda games on a 3DS at any given time :P

#2 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

Nintendo annouced that the Oracle games are coming out on the eShop in Japan. It seem that today Eiji Aonuma announced via the Miiverse that they will launch in "other territories" at a later date.

Anyone else a huge fan of those games? With this we should be able to have 8 Zelda games on a 3DS at any given time :P

Will47

I am!!  My first Zelda games ever.  I just wish the third one was finished.

#3 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

Been waiting for these for forever. Oracle of Ages is my favorite Zelda game. Best puzzles, in my opinion, which are my favorite part.

#4 Posted by nintendofreak_2 (25896 posts) -

Oracle of Ages is one of my favorite Zeldas, and I never got to play Seasons.  This is awesome news. 

#5 Posted by Superzone (3713 posts) -
Can't wait, these were two of my most wanted VC games. Now if we can just get some classic Pokemon titles I'll be in Heaven.
#6 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34144 posts) -

That's awesome news. I love the Oracle games. :)

#7 Posted by spike6958 (4707 posts) -
"A later date" better be next week. These are my joint second favorite Zelda games after Wind Waker, and it's been far too long since I played them.
#8 Posted by KBFloYd (13180 posts) -

oh...nice!

will pick these up.

#9 Posted by LP-Beastman117 (1 posts) -
These are the only two Zelda games that I haven't played! I can't wait....
#10 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
Oracle is one of the two Zelda games I don't own.
#11 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16675 posts) -

This is fantastic news for 3DS owners. Two of the rgeatest handheld games ever available for download. Fortunately for me, I still have my original GBC cartridges, and that isn't changing anytime soon.

Know what would be even cooler? A bundle released for 3DS with updated graphcis/ audio (and maybe some secret dungeons or two!) And, on top of that, they finish the third Oracle game with it. I'd buy it in a heart beat.

#12 Posted by Will47 (6826 posts) -

This is fantastic news for 3DS owners. Two of the rgeatest handheld games ever available for download. Fortunately for me, I still have my original GBC cartridges, and that isn't changing anytime soon.

turtlethetaffer
Upon hearing the news I dug out my copy of Seasons, then made myself put it back. I'll save the hype for the chance to play it on my 3DS :P
#13 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16675 posts) -

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

Will47

Upon hearing the news I dug out my copy of Seasons, then made myself put it back. I'll save the hype for the chance to play it on my 3DS :P

I still have a GBASP I can play mine on. F*ck yeah. :)

#14 Posted by HowlingLotus (399 posts) -

ERMAHGERD!!!!!

Sad that they aren't planning to remaster them as they did Ocarina Of Time, but great to hear nonetheless! These are great Zelda titles and probably my favourite games from the GBC era. 

#15 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12722 posts) -
Are these basically the same games or do they have different dungeons and stuff? I've never played them before.
#16 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

Are these basically the same games or do they have different dungeons and stuff? I've never played them before.OreoMilkshake

I assume the same thing.  It is VC so just the game ported pretty much.

#17 Posted by spike6958 (4707 posts) -
Are these basically the same games or do they have different dungeons and stuff? I've never played them before.OreoMilkshake
They are two completely different games, only sharing some music, and same graphics style (which it also shares with Link's Awakening). The two games have unique story-lines, however let's say you playthough and finish Ages, you'll get a password which you can type in at the start of Seasons which will give you some extra things and allow you to fight the true final boss of the Oracles series.
#18 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12722 posts) -

I assume the same thing.  It is VC so just the game ported pretty much.

Sora278

I meant compared to each other.
[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Are these basically the same games or do they have different dungeons and stuff? I've never played them before.spike6958
They are two completely different games, only sharing some music, and same graphics style (which it also shares with Link's Awakening). The two games have unique story-lines, however let's say you playthough and finish Ages, you'll get a password which you can type in at the start of Seasons which will give you some extra things and allow you to fight the true final boss of the Oracles series.

That sounds awesome. I guess I'll be getting both then.

#19 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

Oh he meant like that!  Yeah those two are very different and it does not matter much but Seasons is the first one and Ages is second.

#20 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sora278"]I meant compared to each other.[QUOTE="spike6958"][QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]Are these basically the same games or do they have different dungeons and stuff? I've never played them before.OreoMilkshake

Please correct me if I'm wrong (I havent played the games), but I think that both games are mostly the same in terms of the dungeons, setting and story, just that one is more focused on enemy fighting and the other in puzzle solving. When you finish one, you get a password to start with all your items on the other, and get the real ending.
#21 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

[QUOTE="OreoMilkshake"]

[QUOTE="Sora278"] They are two completely different games, only sharing some music, and same graphics style (which it also shares with Link's Awakening). The two games have unique story-lines, however let's say you playthough and finish Ages, you'll get a password which you can type in at the start of Seasons which will give you some extra things and allow you to fight the true final boss of the Oracles series.Rod90

Please correct me if I'm wrong (I havent played the games), but I think that both games are mostly the same in terms of the dungeons, setting and story, just that one is more focused on enemy fighting and the other in puzzle solving. When you finish one, you get a password to start with all your items on the other, and get the real ending.

You are wrong.  The dungeons are different, the settings are very different places, the story is sorta different (an evil force kidnaps an oracle to create chaos is in both), the puzzles and action differences further set them apart.  The items are mostly the same but there are different levels to certain ones then the key items of course, there is enough variety.

#22 Posted by HowlingLotus (399 posts) -

They are two pieces that make a whole in a sense as their stories tie into each other and playing both unlocks the true ending. The puzzles, dungeons, people you meet, and items are different in both games. However, both games share a similar story in the sense that a great evil has captured one of the Golden Goddesses. I imagine at some point they planned on making this into a set of three games as one of the Golden Goddesses are never mentioned.

In Ages you use the Harp Of Ages to travel between the past and future. This allows you to go back in time and change events to benefit yourself and the world in the future, and plays a part in puzzles and reaching areas only available during specific eras of history. 

In Seasons you use the Rod Of Seasons to control Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. This is the main focus of the game when not in Dungeons and allows you to progress through the world. 

I personally prefer Ages, but both games are outstanding.. especially for their time. I also enjoyed the feature of Magic Rings which adds an RPG element to the game. 

I haven't played either in Ages (:P), but am looking forward to picking them up when available. 

#23 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -

Seasons is my favorite, finally Nintendo is getting around putting some real decent games worth bothering with on the VC.

#24 Posted by Canuck3000 (40562 posts) -
I remember playing Seasons when it came out. Lots of fun. I'll probably pick this up
#25 Posted by darkspineslayer (19549 posts) -
I'll grab one, than if I ever finish it, the other. Any suggestions on what one to do first?
#26 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

I'll grab one, than if I ever finish it, the other. Any suggestions on what one to do first?darkspineslayer

As I said, Seasons is technically first, the sequence is really not important but if it helps.  Just remember that Ages is more about puzzles and Seasons is about action.

#27 Posted by darksongbird (1234 posts) -

Will47
I am a fan of and own Ages. It's my favorite Zelda game that I've ever played actually. That mostly is because I got far in it. But this is excellent news. I recall someone here wanting these games out for the 3DS so I'm happy to know that it most likely will see a release in the US too. :P
#28 Posted by Will47 (6826 posts) -

I am a fan of and own Ages. It's my favorite Zelda game that I've ever played actually. That mostly is because I got far in it. But this is excellent news. I recall someone here wanting these games out for the 3DS so I'm happy to know that it most likely will see a release in the US too. :Pdarksongbird

If you liked ages that much I would suggest you pick up seasons, and play it in "sequel mode". Either game can be played as first in the series or the second, but it does take playing both games to get the full story. If you look online you can find the code to enter at the start of your game to switch up the story a little, it will makes it into the "sequel" to the other game.

I believe once you beat a game in "sequel mode" you get another password to then use on the game you played first, this makes it into a New Game + sort of thing. Where you start off with all the best weapons and some other fun stuff. In all you can play each game three times, once as prequel, once as the sequel, and once in a new game +.

Just checked my old pocket guide, the sequel mode is called "Main Linking" and the new game + is called "Return Linking".

#29 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22113 posts) -

might get it along with with links awakening(and hopefully lttp) once i get a 3ds xl. 

#30 Posted by darksongbird (1234 posts) -

[QUOTE="darksongbird"] I am a fan of and own Ages. It's my favorite Zelda game that I've ever played actually. That mostly is because I got far in it. But this is excellent news. I recall someone here wanting these games out for the 3DS so I'm happy to know that it most likely will see a release in the US too. :PWill47

If you liked ages that much I would suggest you pick up seasons, and play it in "sequel mode". Either game can be played as first in the series or the second, but it does take playing both games to get the full story. If you look online you can find the code to enter at the start of your game to switch up the story a little, it will makes it into the "sequel" to the other game.

I believe once you beat a game in "sequel mode" you get another password to then use on the game you played first, this makes it into a New Game + sort of thing. Where you start off with all the best weapons and some other fun stuff. In all you can play each game three times, once as prequel, once as the sequel, and once in a new game +.

Just checked my old pocket guide, the sequel mode is called "Main Linking" and the new game + is called "Return Linking".

I haven't even beat Ages yet. :) I'm like a bit over halfway through the game and got stuck. I just need to look online for help. I think I was in the middle playing a game that I had no desire to get good at so I could get past. There were a lot of brown men around and I think they are gorans. Could be wrong. Not especially familiar with the characters of the series.
#31 Posted by trugs26 (5296 posts) -

I'm really happy about this. Ages/Seasons are one of the few Zelda games I haven't played. So I'll definitely be looking into this. Any recommendations on which one to play first? I was thinking Seasons.

Edit: Nevermind the question, it's been answered numerous times in this thread :P 

#32 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34144 posts) -

Seasons > Ages

Seasons just had better dungeons IMO, and I liked the combined worlds of Seasons (Holodrum and Subrosia) more than the past and present Labrynthia.

personally I always do Seasons and then put the code into Ages. It just seems more right to me to finish on Ages since it the more story driven of the two Oracle games. 

#33 Posted by Heirren (16553 posts) -
I had these but lost them. Good news they're coming out as buying the carts themselves is rather expensive today.
#34 Posted by funsohng (27614 posts) -
I have both on GBC gamepak, but they are so corrupted that I need to get something that works. I might buy these.
#35 Posted by King_Dodongo (3247 posts) -
Seasons is superior in everything. Better mechanic, region(s), characters, bosses, dungeons, villain etc etc.
#36 Posted by metroidfood (11173 posts) -

Aww yeah, I remember I rented Ages and couldn't finish it before I returned it, will be nice to replay it. Never got to play Seasons either. I haven't really liked any of the recent handheld Zeldas as much.

#37 Posted by Pierst179 (10746 posts) -

That is great news. They are two excellent handheld Zelda games, and it seems like I am in the minority when I say Ages is my favorite.

#38 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11116 posts) -
I syill have my GBC carts but I will still be downloading these whenever they are available in NA. :D I've been tempted to play them again but I'll definitely hold out on playing them until they release them on the eShop.
#39 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16675 posts) -

That is great news. They are two excellent handheld Zelda games, and it seems like I am in the minority when I say Ages is my favorite.

Pierst179

Ages is your favorite?

internet-high-five.jpeg

#40 Posted by achilles614 (4848 posts) -
**** yeah, I'd rather play em on the 3ds than on my SP so this is awesome news. Still have my ages/seasons poster on my wall :)
#41 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11116 posts) -
I remember that it was the game I bought with my GBA :D I honestly don't remember if the GBA was released in the US at that time though. Because the GBA I got was a Japanese import. But still great times
#42 Posted by Will47 (6826 posts) -
**** yeah, I'd rather play em on the 3ds than on my SP so this is awesome news. Still have my ages/seasons poster on my wall :)achilles614
I never even thought about a Ages/Season poster. I'm in the process of getting like five or six Zelda posters hung up...but a Ages/Seasons poster I lack.
#43 Posted by achilles614 (4848 posts) -
[QUOTE="achilles614"]**** yeah, I'd rather play em on the 3ds than on my SP so this is awesome news. Still have my ages/seasons poster on my wall :)Will47
I never even thought about a Ages/Season poster. I'm in the process of getting like five or six Zelda posters hung up...but a Ages/Seasons poster I lack.

I had others but it's the only one I've kept up Only pic I could find, http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9817/hpim0417.jpg (this one is folded up but you get the idea.
#44 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11116 posts) -
[QUOTE="Will47"][QUOTE="achilles614"]**** yeah, I'd rather play em on the 3ds than on my SP so this is awesome news. Still have my ages/seasons poster on my wall :)achilles614

I had others but it's the only one I've kept up Only pic I could find, http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9817/hpim0417.jpg (this one is folded up but you get the idea.

I got the same one :D It was from a strategy guide right? I actually did rip it out though :P
#45 Posted by Will47 (6826 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"][QUOTE="achilles614"][QUOTE="Will47"] I never even thought about a Ages/Season poster. I'm in the process of getting like five or six Zelda posters hung up...but a Ages/Seasons poster I lack.

I got the same one :D It was from a strategy guide right? I actually did rip it out though :P

I somehow found the pocket guide at a Barnes & Noble around the time the first DS was coming out (that's when I first played the Oracle games). Still have it here in my desk, I think its the only strategy guide I've bought for a game...ever :P
#46 Posted by Pierst179 (10746 posts) -

Ages is your favorite?

turtlethetaffer

Absolutely!

I do agree that the core mechanic of Seasons (changing the... hm... seasons) is more original than time travelling.

However, I could not shake the feeling that it is very underused compared to time mechanics of Ages.

#47 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11116 posts) -
[QUOTE="Will47"][QUOTE="Kaze_no_Mirai"][QUOTE="achilles614"] I had others but it's the only one I've kept up Only pic I could find, http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/9817/hpim0417.jpg (this one is folded up but you get the idea.

I somehow found the pocket guide at a Barnes & Noble around the time the first DS was coming out (that's when I first played the Oracle games). Still have it here in my desk, I think its the only strategy guide I've bought for a game...ever :P

I don't buy strategy guides either :P I've only bought the Seasons/Ages one and the Twilight Princess one cause it just looked amazing.
#48 Posted by SpinoRaptor24 (9996 posts) -
Though they've aged I still hold them in high regard. One of my favorite Zelda titles.
#49 Posted by bulby_g (1049 posts) -

Somehow managed to miss these first time around so I'm really looking forward to picking them up! 

#50 Posted by LJChronx (949 posts) -

Somehow managed to miss these first time around so I'm really looking forward to picking them up!

bulby_g

Me too. They got hard to find almost immediately after being released. Now they are expensive on ebay, so this is gonna be a great opportunity to finally own the games. Cant wait for the US release.