Youtube app update is up!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

So far the changes are

• You can search while watching a video
  • You can also view videos from same author or similar videos
  • All video selection is on the gamepad. Only thing on the tv will show the video you select and the youtube logo while selecting videos.
  • Seems to be more stable...still needs to test it out more.
  • Only bad thing is you cannot back out to your subscrptions while watching a video (else it will stop the video)
ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I first thought you were talking about the 3DS app. haha

Great to see improvements on the Wii U app. Does anyone know if the 3DS app release date has been specified?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

All those things you could already do through youtube in the internet browser and you can back out of a subscription during video play in the browser version. I don't know why they wasted time and resources with this app.

They need to be spending more time on updating their online infrastructure especially messaging as they do not have a sufficient messaging system at the moment.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Doesn't matter to me. The internet browser has always been the go-to application for videos. The times I did use the youtube app it sometimes loaded the video very slowly.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#5 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts

@thetravman: Now it works pretty smooth. I also disliked the original Youtube application but this update really made wonders. The best, for me at least, is that you can watch HD videos, and, for some reason, that doesn't seem the case when using the browser only.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thetravman

@enrique_marrodz: The browser displays HD video.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#7 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts

@thetravman: I'm not sure about that. Every time I launch a video from the application it streams the HD version, providing it exists. But the browser just uses the fastest one. I've tried this from the Youtube application to compare quality and the browser may look 480 at much, but not 1080 like in the application. I have more than enough bandwidth so that shouldn't be the issue.

In case you have, please add a reference to this claim as I haven't found anything on the subject.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#8 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

At least the app isn't terrible anymore. Prior to the update, it was a slow, ill thought out mess that sometimes caused my system to freeze.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thetravman

@enrique_marrodz: By default the browser displays 480p but you can change the settings on the youtube page by selecting that little gear icon just like any other browser. I rarely use it anyway but the option is there.