Your First Impressions of Nintendoland

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Euaggelistes (1826 posts) -

Couple of thoughts off the top of my head after playing it for the first time:

1. This was definitely not the game to show off the new high powered HD system. I am no tech head so maybe I am missing something but the visuals definitelty did not inspire awe.

2. The games are not what I was expecting at all. I was thinking Mario Party minigame easy but these games take skill and are much more complicated than that. I tried out Donkey Kong's Crash Course and Octopus Dance and loved them both. Making faces at the gamepad camera so my kids could see me on the submarine floating in the background of Octopus Dance had them cracking up.

3. What are the treasure for? Do they do anything or are they just collectables?

4. The coin drop game is kind of lame. Nothing more than a Plinko ripoff.

I was shocked when I saw that Gamespot gave this game an 8 but after spending some time with it I can see that it is much more than I thought it was going to be. Definitely shows you what the gamepad can do.

#2 Posted by yokofox33 (29522 posts) -

It's a nice little showcase of what the WiiU is capable of. Some of the games are hit and miss, but more than a few are quite fun. I like the Pikmin game the most even though the gameplay is quite basic and repetitive. I just love the Pikmin universe.

#3 Posted by Superzone (3713 posts) -
It's got a surprising amount of depth. I've been having a blast with the games I've played so far. Can't wait to try out the multiplayer with my brothers, should be a ton of fun, especially the Metroid, Zelda, and Pikmin games.
#4 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -

Couple of thoughts off the top of my head after playing it for the first time:

1. This was definitely not the game to show off the new high powered HD system. I am no tech head so maybe I am missing something but the visuals definitelty did not inspire awe. Everyone's got their own opinions. On a technical basis, no, it's no Crysis 2, but it's a charming graphical style and I think it looks nice and does the job well, which is making the place feel like a colorful little world.

2. The games are not what I was expecting at all. I was thinking Mario Party minigame easy but these games take skill and are much more complicated than that. I tried out Donkey Kong's Crash Course and Octopus Dance and loved them both. Making faces at the gamepad camera so my kids could see me on the submarine floating in the background of Octopus Dance had them cracking up. I too was surprised by the depth of the games.

3. What are the treasure for? Do they do anything or are they just collectables? The buttons and jukebox do obvious things, but the rest are simply collectibles to decorate your Nintendo Land. You can also read a description of all the items by touching them.

4. The coin drop game is kind of lame. Nothing more than a Plinko ripoff. Yeah, and the Smash Bros. Brawl coin game was just a simpler version of Missile Command. It's just a way to spice up the bonus-getting experience. It's obviously not a large part of the game.

I was shocked when I saw that Gamespot gave this game an 8 but after spending some time with it I can see that it is much more than I thought it was going to be. Definitely shows you what the gamepad can do.

Euaggelistes

In short, I was quite surprised by the quality of Nintendo Land, and I think it's very great and further shows why everyone should have gotten the Deluxe WiiU.

#5 Posted by CRUSHER88 (1151 posts) -
Still haven't opened it. Kinda debating just trading it in right away so I can pick up AC3.
#6 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11236 posts) -
I was VERY surprised by the quality and depth of the games. I had read that the game did have more content than what it may had seem like but I didn't believe it until I played. Metroid is so fun and I'm having fun going through the Zelda quest with my brother.
#7 Posted by bluedeathking (467 posts) -
I was little disappointed that i learn that i have to buy new remote to play some of the games. T_T