Yay or Nay to 3D for next gen Nintendo handheld?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By amyh7292
Member since 2015 • 324 Posts

I have an old 3DS and to me the "new" 3D on the NN3DS is too little too late. Once in a while a simpler, slower game (pokemon, some Mario games) looks okay with the 3D slider on about a third of the way for a little depth. While I am thankful for the slider so that you can opt out of the 3D at anytime, I'm pretty much over the 3D aspect and would rather see an HD screen next gen. Personally, of the 5-10 close friends I have with 3DS almost all of them play with the 3D turned off anyway. I got the XL because of the screen size and it just looked nicer to me. And lets face it the 2DS looks like a toddler toy.

The 3D feature to me seems a little cheesy anyway, although it was fun and different so I appreciate the attempt nonetheless. It's always fun to see how a new game looks in full 3D, then wince, take an excedrin, and quickly turn it back off.

Anyone else cool with ditching the 3D?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

99% of the time I don't have the 3D activated. Yes ti does look good when you use it but I have not found it to be needed in order to enjoy the games.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

Nay. They need to focus more on quality design than on stupid gimmicks. I also don't want it to have dual screens.

I want them to make a powerful and ergonomic handheld with a single beautiful large HD screen. Kind of like a Vita, but with games.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

I have 3D on about 90% of the time. I'm down for more 3D next gen; and it would surely be even better.

cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts

I have the 3D on pretty much all the time, except on the Streetpass games. I think Nintendo should keep it.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

I like the 3D, some games are pretty sweet with it, i say would be a welcomed feature me.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4223 Posts

No 3D. I think HD handheld would do just as great. I never really got accustomed to 3D tbh.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I'd prefer it if they focus on making powerful hardware over gimmicks.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 amyh7292

Yeah I find it to be very poorly executed on the original 3DS... if you don't have it at just the right angle and distance from your face it's garbage. It took 3-4 years for the "new" 3DS which I still find to be just an okay 3D experience that should have been on the original to begin with. To me it's just an awkward idea that isn't at all necessary

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

If the next Nintendo handheld is: powerful specs & amazing online network structure & dual analog sticks & single 3D HD touch screen & amazing games it is win.

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

Nintendo should get out of the hardware business and just make games for the Vita, it is much better than the 3DS hardware, just has no games, Nintendo could fix that problem.

srebmunahcnub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 srebmunahcnub
Member since 2015 • 70 Posts

I only use 3d on cut scenes

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#13 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

i like the N3ds a lot. The 3d is very usable and stable. It sure isn't useful but it add a nice touch, I really enjoyed it and made some level easier in Mario 3D land. I know the 3ds isn't as powerful as the Vita but Vita games are really boring, I had one for one year and couldn't bring myself to play it. My 3ds saw a lot of games and they are fun. I also like the dual screen thing, very useful in many RPGs just like I like having the dual screen on the WiiU.

Next time I'll just not waste my money and buy Nintendo next handel instead of Sony

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I actually kind of like the 3D, though I don't use it all of the time. I guess it depends on the game I'm playing and the mood I'm in.

Wouldn't mind seeing the 3D feature stick around next gen, especially after Nintendo has invested so much into it by now. But I can understand that keeping such a feature around next gen could be a challenge.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Yay if it's implemented the say way as the New 3DS. It's really good.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By elheber

Personally, I don't want the next DS to have that much of an improvement in rendering hardware. Cost of development is what keeps some very unique games or franchises on Nintendo handhelds. "Risky" games like Bravely Default or REvelations, and even expansive games like Monster Hunter that would be too expensive in HD.

Once Nintendo hardware is powerful enough that companies start trying to make ports of consoles games (like Borderlands 2) instead of original games, we will have lost something important as handheld consumers. So I don't want high-end graphics. Give me super efficient hardware that lasts me 18 hours on a single charge instead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@elheber: That's an interesting point. However, I think it's possible for different kinds of games to coexist on a single piece of hardware. Indies prove this.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I never use the 3D so I guess I'd rather the system either cost less by not implementing 3D or them putting that money into some other part of the system.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 elheber

@Ovirew: We can still get indies on moderate hardware. We can still get console-quality games on consoles. However, once the hardware reaches the HD tipping point (and as seen on the Vita perhaps even earlier), development costs may push publishers to either only produce low-risk broad-appeal games or low-cost ports of recent/current games on consoles (like all the cross-play stuff on the Vita).

If we are to have high-end graphics on a handheld, it must come hand-in-hand with some new low-cost development environment. And though the industry has made great strides in that direction (Unity is one great example), cost of development is still outpacing any cost reductions.

Most importantly, IMHO, powerful hardware doesn't really drive creative games. Other features would better replace it, such as lower unit cost or more efficient chips. Power for the sake of power seems like a waste of money to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

@elheber: It's a shame that not enough gamers think this way. Instead they're more concerned with games becoming more powerful... Why? So they can play games that look really good, but are generally boring as all get-out to actually play?

I think this is why I keep coming back to Nintendo. They realize that in the end, giving that game cutting-edge graphics will do little to ensure that good games actually come out for the system. It will just make everything more expensive - for the consumer and for the developer. And it will serve to make developers focus on making makes that look good, first and foremost. But to me, graphics are not way up there on the list of things that make a great game great.

Smallville0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 Smallville0608
Member since 2013 • 87 Posts

@elheber: Agree with you 100%.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

I'd be down to have the 3D again. I'd like to keep the dual screen too because when it comes to FPS games (Which is lacking and has been lacking since day 1), it's almost like playing on a pc but, I don't have any problems with dual analog sticks either. However, I think they should have dual circle pads instead so that the next Nintendo handheld can still fold in half and I would like them to be placed like the sticks are placed on the Wii U controller. The circle pads are a lot more comfortable IMO. I have held and played on the PSVita and the sticks just feel weird and cheap. Almost like you could break them really easily. It would suck playing the next Super Smash Bros. with those sticks.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By amyh7292

Yeah, I feel like the dual screens can be Nintendo's "thing" and the 3D is just a tacky, childish add on. The touch screen/dual screens I have always liked since original DS. Of course the touch features aren't perfect and I'm also not saying next gen NEEDS to be super HD to be successful, yet I'd rather see Nintedo's HD handheld than another attempt at 3D or some other kind of unnecesary gimmicky feature that just seems aimed at 8 year olds

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

After checking how it looks in a game I always end up turning it off. I think the only exception was 3Dland. I'd rather they put all the power available into better graphics.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@spike6958 said:

I never use the 3D so I guess I'd rather the system either cost less by not implementing 3D or them putting that money into some other part of the system.

Same here. The 3D was unnecessary.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Get rid of the second screen.

CrillanK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CrillanK
Member since 2008 • 272 Posts

The first time I saw the 3D on the original 3DS it blew me away how awesome it looked. The first time I saw the face-tracking 3D on the New 3DS, it blew me away again. I have 3D on 100% of the time when I'm playing. The only time it's off is when I'm showing someone something on the screen.

These people suggesting to remove 3D or the second screen really don't have a clue. Saying that it needs to be a hardware beast instead of what it is now is also pretty clueless. The 3DS has many of the best games available today and that's all that matters. If that wasn't true, those same people wouldn't be saying the Vita is better even though it has no games. If it has few to no good games, it will never be better. Unless, of course, you're not really a gamer.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

Yay to 3D. For some games it makes a huge difference. I use it about 50% of the time. Plus they spent all that R&D money making it and then improving it so they might as well continue with it.

Soethi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Soethi6
Member since 2014 • 425 Posts

As long as it can be turned off and the screen is atleast 720p, they can keep it. 720p is way more important than 3D though.

amyh7292

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 amyh7292

@soethi6 Pretty much agree 100%. The slider is a savior and makes it hard to hate on it since Nintendo implementing 3D on a handheld was an honest attempt at something no one had tried yet. But I feel an unneccessary and kind of unwanted attempt for, again, those who are dedicated gamers and not young children who would be sucked in to this kind of feature. And those defending the 3D... you're entitled to like it (I occasionally don't mind it) but I have a hard time understanding how (at least on original 3DS) you can defend that the 3D looks good. I think it's "okay at times" at the absolute best

wisedwarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wisedwarf
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I like 3d on my new3ds and I have it activated most of the time it feels way more immersive when I play mh4u but I know most of my friends playing the game don't use it.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

Nay. I sometimes put it on to say to myself, "Hey, look what I can do?" Then just turn it back off. I'm a fidgety gamer, so I can't stay in that sweet spot. Also when I tried that new one, if my face was too far away from the screen it would pop in and out to readjust. It's cool for a few minutes, but I can't seriously play with it for too long.

Stereodant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Stereodant
Member since 2015 • 32 Posts

Yay for me since it does add to the experience a bit, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if it wasn't in it. Just disappointed.