Would you want another 'Of Sorrow" Castlevania?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

Self explanatory. I'm of the opinion that Dawn and Aria of Sorrow are the best games in their respective trilogies, and I'd love to see a return of the soul collection mechanic. Plus, there was something about a huge battle in 1999 that was constantly mentioned in both games. It'd be cool to get more of that back story.

Plus, and I can't be alone in this, I really want the series to return to 2D. Both trilogies on GBA and Ds are awesome and, while Lord of Shadows is decent, it doesn't hold a candle to the exploration and simple but deep combat of the Metroidvania games.

#2 Posted by roboccs (6894 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer: Dawn of Sorrow was one of my favorite DS games. I would love a return back to that style. I used to just get lost in that world. Very much like Super Metroid.

#3 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

@roboccs: Condemned Tower.Had the best theme in the game.

#4 Posted by nini200 (9453 posts) -

Yes Dawn of Sorrow was fantastic and I'd like another "Of Eclessia" game too.

#5 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

@nini200: Wouldn't that be kind of... I don't know, nonsensical? After all, Ecclesia was totally gone by the end of the game if I remember correctly.

#6 Posted by nini200 (9453 posts) -

@nini200: Wouldn't that be kind of... I don't know, nonsensical? After all, Ecclesia was totally gone by the end of the game if I remember correctly.

Well yea well ... SHUT UP!!!! :P

#7 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

@nini200: They could still continue the story with the magic system.

#8 Posted by Ovirew (6272 posts) -

Soma is one of my favorite Castlevania characters, and I hope we see more of him someday, but I think there's a lot of other Castlevania characters that deserve a revisit more right now.

#9 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

@Ovirew: Personally, I really like Julius from the Sorrow games. He's basically the last Belmont and performed some huge act in 1999. I wish there was some clarity about exactly what happened, though.

#10 Posted by gba1989 (144 posts) -

Yeah, they should've made a game about Julius. Sort of like a prequel of Aria. Personally, if they ever made one it should be titled as From Dusk Till Dawn Of Sorrow. It'll sell lots.

Maxim from Harmony of Dissonance is pretty badass too.

#11 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4654 posts) -

Just give me a Metroidvania and I'll be happy. A Castlevania game involving the 1999 event would be great.

#12 Posted by Tonindo (471 posts) -

I'm enjoying Lords of Shadow 2 currently and it's great and all, but yeah, I'd love a new 2D Castlevania.

#13 Posted by Ovirew (6272 posts) -

I guess the thing is, Aria came out in like... 2003? Something like that... And Dawn came out in 2005 or 6... And it's 2014 now. I feel like if they wanted to do more with it, they probably would have by now.

Harmony of Despair was different, and it's cool that they added those characters to that game. I guess after playing that game a bit I realized it had a lot of flaws though, a lot of flaws. It just...Wasn't Castlevania, per se. The funny thing is, they called it Harmony of Despair, but nobody from Harmony of Dissonance was in it lol. Juste and Maxim probably could have been playable. And what about Nathan from Circle of the Moon? I mean that game was freaking great, too. It bothered me that COTM was kind of ignored after it came along. I think the problem is, the card system would have been too confusing to implement into the game - heck, Soma was confusing enough in HOD.

Anyway... Idk, the state of the future of 2D Castlevanias in general seems difficult to predict. It seems like Konami would rather just let other developers try to make 3D sequels.

#14 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

@Ovirew: For the sake of all the fans, I hope you're wrong about them not making anymore 2D games. Lord of Shadows was good, but it didn't come close to achieving what the GBA and DS games did. Those games are fantastic in most ways; controls are tight, graphics are awesome, music is worth jizzing over and the gameplay is a lot of fun. The 3Dness of LoS just doesn't do it like the 2D ones.

#15 Posted by hydralisk86 (8515 posts) -

@Ovirew: For the sake of all the fans, I hope you're wrong about them not making anymore 2D games. Lord of Shadows was good, but it didn't come close to achieving what the GBA and DS games did. Those games are fantastic in most ways; controls are tight, graphics are awesome, music is worth jizzing over and the gameplay is a lot of fun. The 3Dness of LoS just doesn't do it like the 2D ones.

In your opinion, how likely is it that they will switch back to the graphics used in Dawn of Sorrow? If i were to buy the games, i hope they would do that.

#17 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

In your opinion, how likely is it that they will switch back to the graphics used in Dawn of Sorrow? If i were to buy the games, i hope they would do that.

It's not necessarily the graphics that's the issue, but I'd love more 2D graphics. I could see them doing some sort of 2.5 D thing, though.