would playing LTTP and ALBW back-to-back be overkill?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nero_rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nero_rules
Member since 2008 • 738 Posts

I've been playing through LTTP for the first time (I know, I know - way behind on that), and am just about done with it. Would jumping into ALBW immediately afterward get boring fast? Since they're the same world and are supposedly really similar. Maybe it would be better to wait a bit.

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

Hard to say....yet while it's in the same world, it does move along fairly quickly. There are "warps" to go to any save location you've already found; and each dungeon is brand new...not to mention the graphics are completely remade.

If you're up for playing more Zelda, this game delivers!

Again it moves pretty quick...after a day or so, I've already beaten 4 of the main (7) dungeons. Each dungeon has been quite different from the next, so it's fun to figure out the science of what each dungeon-theme has planned.

You might have a bit of frustration having to /rent/ your equipment at first...you know, after scouring the land to find it the first time...now you get them all up front. But that smooths over after a bit of play.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#3 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

That's kind of a matter of preference. Some people will play an older game to get psyched up for a new installment but I kind of see how that would be overkill. I have to wait until my birthday for Link Between Worlds so I was contemplating, playing one of the Gameboy Zelda I downloaded to my 3DS.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

i don't think many here would be able to tell you. but ALttP is a game i felt was needlessly long and, while it's the foundation of every zelda game since, it's far from the best. ALBW addresses that by having amazing dungeons, tweaks to link's movement speed and access to fast travel, and a bunch of other seemingly minor stuff that results in an incredibly smooth experience.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#5 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

@BrunoBRS said:

i don't think many here would be able to tell you. but ALttP is a game i felt was needlessly long and, while it's the foundation of every zelda game since, it's far from the best. ALBW addresses that by having amazing dungeons, tweaks to link's movement speed and access to fast travel, and a bunch of other seemingly minor stuff that results in an incredibly smooth experience.

I agree. I've always felt ALttP was overrated as far as it's general quality vs. other old-school Zelda games. I think pretty all three of the Game Boy/Color games are at least as good or better, for example. This said, it's still a great game.

Personally, I don't think ALBW and ALttP feel all that similar so I think you'd be fine to go right in and start on ALBW right away. ALBW has a bit of nostalgia going for it, of course, but it's a much more lively, faster paced game. Really, there is a pretty big difference in how you move around w/ the true analog control vs. d-pad and so pretty much every second you're playing, you are reminded you are playing a more modern game.

I am not too far in but so far I am definitely willing to say that I am liking ALBW lot better than ALttP (which I just played on GBA pretty recently, by the way).

nero_rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nero_rules
Member since 2008 • 738 Posts

@kbaily said:

That's kind of a matter of preference. Some people will play an older game to get psyched up for a new installment but I kind of see how that would be overkill. I have to wait until my birthday for Link Between Worlds so I was contemplating, playing one of the Gameboy Zelda I downloaded to my 3DS.

I often play older games to get psyched for new installments too - but in most cases, the new installment doesn't take place in pretty much the same map/world. Just hoping this one feels different enough to not feel like I'm playing the same game twice in a row.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#7 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I think it would, but each to their own.

When I am getting ready to play a new game on a big series, the last thing I want to do is to play a game of that same series to warm up. I think it diminishes the freshness of the new title.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BrunoBRS

@Pierst179 said:

I think it would, but each to their own.

When I am getting ready to play a new game on a big series, the last thing I want to do is to play a game of that same series to warm up. I think it diminishes the freshness of the new title.

yeah, that's how i feel. it might make me feel a little bit burned out throughout the new game's playthrough, and as a result make it a lesser experience.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

Might as well.

Had you played ALttP years ago, I'd say absolutely not -- save the nostalgia for the new release.

But since you haven't played the original, then maybe in playing it you'll appreciate this sequel more.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#10 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

What I decided to do since LttP was too similar was I have Link's Awakening on my 3DS and decided to play that one. I haven't played Link Between Worlds because I know my husband got it for me as a birthday gift so I have to wait :( but Link's Awakening is a solid game but not exactly like LttP and like good handheld Zeldas, it's short and sweet and different enough to not feel like an overkill. So I would suggest one of the GB games or even Minish Cap for the GBA which I think is criminnaly under rated.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BrunoBRS

@kbaily said:

What I decided to do since LttP was too similar was I have Link's Awakening on my 3DS and decided to play that one. I haven't played Link Between Worlds because I know my husband got it for me as a birthday gift so I have to wait :( but Link's Awakening is a solid game but not exactly like LttP and like good handheld Zeldas, it's short and sweet and different enough to not feel like an overkill. So I would suggest one of the GB games or even Minish Cap for the GBA which I think is criminnaly under rated.

minish cap is the best top down zelda ;-;

though ALBW might give it a run for its money...

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#12  Edited By pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts
@BrunoBRS said:

@kbaily said:

minish cap is the best top down zelda ;-;

though ALBW might give it a run for its money...

I haven't played ALBW, but I would vote for Oracle of Ages as the best top-down Zelda.