Would Nintendo benefit launching a 'Super Wii U'?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Obviously something with a better name, but would it even be viable for Nintendo to relaunch a new console at the end of this year or next that can compete with the competition? I figure they'd have to also implement a buyback deal else anyone that got a Wii U would be extremely pissed, myself included.

What do you all think? I don't believe it would work very well. They are stuck in rut it seems though. The Wii U can't sell as is and releasing a new console mid way through the gen wouldnt be to hot either I'd imagine.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

A Swii-U?! lol

They absolutely cannot kill the Wii U in any way and release a new console right now. It will kill what little customer base they have left, and shatter faith in the company from the public.

What they need is to slash the price and release games. They need to put out lots of content on the Virtual Console, not this one or two games a week crap. It may not profit Nintendo much, but will make their customers happy and possibly bring some new ones. This will also hopefully leave people with a good taste in their mouth for the following console.

They'll have to rough it out a few more years, and yes, maybe offer some upgrade path when they do release a new console.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i dont think they have the money to just kill the wiiU today and launch a new console this year.... theyd lose too much money...

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TransformerRobo
Member since 2011 • 549 Posts

It's too soon to do such a thing.

At least there's more logic here than in Michael Pachter's usual stupidity.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17757 Posts

no.

as i said in another thread it would essentially put nintendo in a position where they would release a new console with no first party games ready to go, it would be relying entirely on 3rd party games and the people who might be interested in buying the console dont tend to buy 3rd party software on nintendo hardware. why would people choose a super wiiu over a PS4 or X1 for 3rd party games?

Unfortunately for nintendo the only way to spark life into the wiiu is to get it a killer app...a game or application that not only has wide appeal but also justifies nintendos decisions with the wiiu hardware. developing killer apps is not an exact science..if it was then everyone would do it. but the console desperately needs its wii sports, halo, GTA. the only game i have seen so far that would possibly do it is watchdogs. unfortuantely that game is not being made by nintendo nor is it a wiiu exclusive and it wont be developed just with the wiiu in mind. so that also wont shift hardware (and will sell little on the wiiu because people dont buy nintendo hardware for 3rd party games).

a price cut will do nothing. the games announced so far are very unlikely to shift hardware in great quantities. the only thing that will get the console out of its rut is a killer app.

isnt miyamoto supposed to be working on a new IP? if so lets hope it is fundimentally designed with a tablet controller in mind.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Like the others have said, Nintendo will be doing less harm to themselves if they stick with the Wii U instead of halting support for it 2 years after release.

The Wii U needs new, exciting games that differentiates itself from the 3DS and other consoles. Many of the Wii U's best games are multiplats, enhanced ports, and games that do not look too different from its 3DS counterpart.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

Like the others have said, Nintendo will be doing less harm to themselves if they stick with the Wii U instead of halting support for it 2 years after release.

^ This, they need to make sure the titles they've shown gets release MK, SmashBros, X, Bayo 2, Watch Dogs etc.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I wish they'd do that.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

That would be like Sega pulling a Dreamcast who dropped support for Saturn so fast so they could release Dreamcast. What they should have done is ride it out. Nintendo will ride it out this gen like they rode out Gamecube. Nintendo still have lots of cash left over from Wii selling like hotcakes and that makes it pretty easy for them to just ride it out until next gen of consoles.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

I think so.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#11 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

they will just ride it out , if they release a new console what benefit would that do other then make people mad even more people just need to relax and realize the wiiu will need more games rather then nintendo pulling the plug , i guess people dont learn from segas mistake , ,

and the wiiu is not the only platform having problems ---look at vita , but thats for another topic on topic the wiiu just needs games and maybe another small price drop

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#12 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I don't think they should do it, and I don't see it happening at all.

The Wii U will never be this gen's best-selling console, but it sure can deliver some profits. Nintendo has to work towards that goal.

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

No, Nintendo just need to continue bringing out more games to play. Most of the games people really want to play are not even out, with some time, the WiiU will pick up slowly.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

No. At most, they need an expansion pack like they had with the N64. That's the most logical and cost effective method of introducing a new version of WiiU.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Nintendo would benefit by releasing more first party titles in a timely manner. I'm darn excited for Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros., but these games should have been released during the holidays last year.

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

i think they need to make a revision wiiu with a slightly smaller gamepad in order to reduce costs

TTUalumni13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By TTUalumni13
Member since 2013 • 842 Posts

Nah, just make the gamepad an optional peripheral you can buy seperately (very very few devs including Nintendo are doing much more than inventory screens or offscreen play on it anyways), and sell the console with a pro controller for about 75-100 dollars cheaper. Extremely attractive pricepoint for pretty capable hardware and all the great Nintendo games. Hard bargain to pass up for people on the fence or for parents wanting to get something for their kids, at half the price of the cheapest competition it'd be a no brainer.

Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#18 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts

Nintendo needs to kill the 'Wii' name from their next console for consumers to take notice of it and take it seriously.