Will we ever see the original Yoshi's Island re-released?

#1 Posted by Meinhard1 (6766 posts) -

It seems strange to me that throughout the entire lifespan of the Wii we never saw a virtual console release of Yoshi's Island.

Now the the Wii U we have the gba version released, which is great, but an inferior handheld version that is zoomed in / cropped, has dulled colors, and degraded music quality.

Yoshi's Island is a classic and I want to play it as originally intended without the use of an emulator or buying a SNES / cart.

It's just odd that we haven't seen it. The original does use some advanced tech but I can't see Nintendo having trouble emulating it.

#2 Posted by Pierst179 (10715 posts) -

You are right about that.

It seems to be another one of those instances when Nintendo is sitting on top of a goldmine and is unwilling to go harvest it.

#3 Posted by ail_taco (103 posts) -

pokemon stadium 1 and 2 should be released as a virtual console

#4 Posted by stizzal13 (593 posts) -

Yeah, I think we will see it re-released on the VC at some point. But, I would rather see it remastered on the Wii U or 3DS.

#5 Posted by Star0 (443 posts) -

Buy a SNES and the game for, what, 40 bucks? Sorted.

#6 Edited by Meinhard1 (6766 posts) -

I'm not feeling optimistic that we'll see it on VC anytime soon given the release of the GBA version.

Of course buying a SNES is always an option. It would likely be more than 40 bucks, though. For someone who had never played the game, it would be totally worth it.

#7 Posted by Star0 (443 posts) -

@Meinhard1: Yeah, $120 ball park. Anyway, you do realise that VC games are emulated as well, right?

#8 Posted by outworld222 (2367 posts) -

I would like this game released on VC. I missed out on the original sadly.

I heard it had 5 reviews and got an average of 95%! That's superb!

#9 Posted by Chozofication (2722 posts) -

@ail_taco said:

pokemon stadium 1 and 2 should be released as a virtual console

No Nintendo just needs to Make a Wii U pokemon game, either like stadium or Colosseum/XD.

With what Wii U is capable of the game would look stunning.

As for the VC, the game I always wondered why it wasn't on there was DK64.

#10 Edited by juboner (364 posts) -

I have not played a gba game on VC and was not aware it would look drastically different than the snes VC games. I am pretty sure the gba was capable of everything the snes could do despite the carts not having fx chip, it was more advanced hardware than snes. I guess the resolution was a lot lower on gba since the screen was so tiny.

#11 Posted by Meinhard1 (6766 posts) -

@juboner said:

I have not played a gba game on VC and was not aware it would look drastically different than the snes VC games. I am pretty sure the gba was capable of everything the snes could do despite the carts not having fx chip, it was more advanced hardware than snes. I guess the resolution was a lot lower on gba since the screen was so tiny.

Right. Areas where SNES ports take a hit are with the lower resolution, and brighter/washed out colors. The sound quality, though, is probably the most drastic difference.

#12 Posted by MirkoS77 (7010 posts) -

Don't worry, it'll arrive, eventually, near the end of the Wii U's lifespan. After Nintendo's drip feed has earned them millions. Be patient.

#13 Edited by mowerdude85 (14 posts) -

I wish it would come out but I doubt it will ever come out since they released the Gba version of the game on the Wii U VC. But if they happen to release the Snes version of the game I would pick it up day one it was one of my favorite games back on the Snes.