Will any Wii U game become the Game of the Year 2014?

#1 Posted by PikachuDude860 (562 posts) -

It's a tough choice between Mario Kart 8 and Dark Souls 2 for me. In the end, I'd say Mario Kart 8. Even though I haven't played Smash Bros. yet, I think that Mario Kart 8 was the best new game I've seen/played this year.

Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and Smash Bros for Wii U have the best chances of winning to me.

They'll have tough competition from Destiny, Titanfall, Dark Souls 2 and...COD?

You think it could happen? Mario 3D World almost won last year.

#2 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4705 posts) -

Smash Bros has a good chance if it surpasses Brawl in both hype and quality, and is released before December because some sites love to start announcing nominees before the year is completely over.

Mario Kart doesn't have much chance as GOTY. It's fun as hell, but had some disappointments.

#3 Posted by PikminWorld (41 posts) -

Hm... Hard to say. I always get paranoid a few days before a major game's release as I get some feeling that a somewhat mediocre review will hit. I feel Smash could do it but, I'm not sure.

#4 Posted by yokofox33 (29373 posts) -

Highly doubt it, but if SSB is just mind blowingly amazing it could win the award I suppose.

#5 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2563 posts) -

I have a feeling a couple of the more quirky websites out there will throw Captain Toad a GOTY.

#6 Edited by HaziqAgha (93 posts) -

It's hard to tell, but I don't think so.

Though that said this year kind of blows for game releases, 2015 is where it's at.

#7 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1320 posts) -

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker wins GOTY, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. Also Smash Bros has a shot.

#8 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4705 posts) -

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker wins GOTY, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. Also Smash Bros has a shot.

I have a feeling a couple of the more quirky websites out there will throw Captain Toad a GOTY.

You're all fools. The Letter is arguably the best game on the syst-- no, it's the best game to hit a Nintendo platform in YEARS. I doubt Captain Toad can top the production value and content present in The Letter. It's just that good!

lol :P

#9 Posted by jamyskis (777 posts) -

Mario Kart 8 is a likely candidate for me as well, although I must confess I was slightly disappointed with it. Possibly SSB, although I'll reserve judgement until I've played it.

Given that it's the start of a new generation, it's actually been a pathetically crap year for gaming so far. Neither the PS4 nor the Xbox One have much actually worth playing that wasn't already on the PS3 or 360, and the PC has been inundated with 1,001 indie puzzle platformers, pointless shovelware, endless P2W F2P shooters and RPGs, and numerous half-finished and deathly dull early access survival sims, the only decent game it having to show for itself being Divinity: Original Sin.

#10 Edited by SolidTy (42463 posts) -

Honestly here at Gamespot? The only two major contenders would be the Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8.

MK8 got an 8/10 here at GS, it's just not likely imo based on my long time here at GS, but feel free to speculate.

Even more curious, I went to Metacritic:

I don't think Mario Kart 8 has a real shot (88/100). I just don't see it happening as GOTY is decided by the staff and the odds and what I know know at GS and metacritic don't scream GOTY. It's true, GS chooses odd choices though, but I think it would go to something else other than MK8. The game doesn't have a great Battlemode and it just lacks that extra horsepower to take the GOTY imo.

If you don't like this analysis, I'm sorry. Please disregard and go back to speculating MK8 having GOTY.

Bayonetta 2 doesn't have my boy, Hideki Kamiya directing (Bayonetta creator as well as creator of Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Devil May Cry, etc), so my HYPE is gone from that game sequel long ago. He's going to help a bit, but he's already at work crafting his next major game so he's busy with that. Bayonetta could surprise, but I think it will be more 8/10 material, sort of like Platinum's 8/10 GS scoring Metal Gear Rising.

Smash Bros isn't released yet, so that has a better shot imo since we can't scrutinize the true quality yet (from our personal playtime to GS reviews to Metascore).

#11 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7213 posts) -

I'm not sure, given the competition that's going to come from the likes of Dragon Age. Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart probably have the best chance of getting that award. I would toss Donkey Kong into that list, but considering the review it got here, I doubt it will be a GotY nominee.

@jamyskis said:
it's actually been a pathetically crap year for gaming so far

I agree, this year hasn't been very good. My biggest disappointment came when The Witcher 3 got pushed back to February next year. >_<

#12 Posted by Heirren (16568 posts) -

Smash Bros on wiiu is this year?

Mario Kart 8 will win at every site except this one.

#13 Edited by starwolf474 (559 posts) -

Smash Bros is their only chance. Mario Kart 8, while very fun, had some flaws that were disappointing and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze hasn't been getting the respect that it deserves (I guess because it is a 2D platformer) even though it is an awesome game.

I think Titanfall will probably get Game of the Year.

#14 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

I doubt it, but anything is possible. If Smash Bros shows up like it should it will have a good chance, assuming it releases in time.

#15 Posted by Chozofication (2764 posts) -

Bayonetta 2, if there is any justice. Esp. since this year has been a new record in SLOW..

There will be no justice :p

@jamyskis said:
it's actually been a pathetically crap year for gaming so far

I agree, this year hasn't been very good. My biggest disappointment came when The Witcher 3 got pushed back to February next year. >_<

Yep, that game getting pushed back meant for me there was no chance of picking up a ps4 this year.

#16 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8774 posts) -

For me personally, I really doubt anything's going to be topping Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze for a few years. A game of that level of quality releases once in a blue moon.

#17 Edited by GH05T-666 (276 posts) -

#18 Posted by AVIS93 (300 posts) -

Mario Kart 8, Shovel Knight, and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U are the only strong candidates on the Wii U, I think, and they'll be up against Dragon Age: Inquisition and possibly Assassin's Creed Unity and Far Cry 4.

#19 Edited by ChubbyGuy40 (26108 posts) -

Smash Bros has the best shot because of the hype. Bayonetta 2 will have a shot if it lives up to expectations too. At least Tropical Freeze has no competition at all for OST of the year.

#20 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -

Shovel Knight or Bayonetta 2.

Xbone and PS4 have nothing coming out this year except a port and port collection