Will 3rd party support ever come to the Wii U?

• 53 results
#51 Edited by MirkoS77 (7131 posts) -

Many in here have articulated on why......why put in the effort for very little payoff when many will buy the superior version anyway, with things such as a better, unified online infrastructure, a larger multiplayer install base, etc? There's simply no reason when you view it from a business perspective.

I don't agree with Nintendo defenders that they don't need 3rd parties, and I don't buy that those who buy Nintendo systems only buy them for Nintendo games even if 3rd party games existed, either. Sure, that's true now because that's all you can buy on their wares, and what other games are available lack in numerous areas due to Nintendo's lackluster efforts. But if they brought to market a system that held hardware parity in the same realm as Sony and MS's offerings (which would make ports easier, cost-effective, and competitive), kicked their online platform into 2014, and took the effort to really attempt to court and work with 3rd parties to bring software parity as well, Nintendo after a period would then have a one-up on the competition in addition: their 1st party.

They need third parties because 1) it establishes a solid user-base that can then grow such things as their online and digital markets into, 2) it fills in the droughts and sustains momentum. Would 3rd party games sell like shit at first if all this happened now? Yes, because through Nintendo's neglect and chronic ineptness throughout the years they've allowed parts of their business to atrophy and reside in relative mediocrity, not least to mention given their philosophies towards them it would take some time to repair bridges. People will always choose the better option, and Nintendo just doesn't offer that. When people say, "well, why should 3rd parties bother? No one will buy them anyway....." they speak as if Nintendo is somehow the victim. No, it's Nintendo's doing, 100%. They give no incentive over alternatives that are much better executed by companies that don't insist on running their business with mentalities stuck years prior. The trouble they have with 3rd parties today extend FAR back into the past, not only through actions, but philosophies (such as Yamauchi famously referring to them as "garbage companies" and Iwata claiming "no one want online games").

Is it no wonder, then, why 3rd parties aren't too keen on putting their games on their systems?

But in Nintendo's continual arrogance, they like to believe they somehow exist in a vacuum and don't compete and that people will always buy their product no matter what. They are exceptionally delusional, and they are now paying the price for it. They need to realize that even though they think they aren't competing, that doesn't matter because consumers see it very differently when it comes to where their money is going. You'd think this would be a self-evident reality in any business, but in their incompetence I'm sure they're so obtuse they don't have a clue as to what's wrong.

#52 Edited by MirkoS77 (7131 posts) -

@pikachudude860 said:

It's sad that Nindendo is left alone to try to make the Wii U sell better.

I don't feel sorry for them one bit, they've made their bed and they are laying in it. They've come out and said they don't believe in strong third party support. Yamauchi treated them like shit and made no apologies for it, nor did he make an attempt to hide his disdain for them. Him mentoring Iwata, it's no wonder why he hasn't been able to find success. I doubt they are even trying.

It's just not a part of their underlying philosophy. I don't think Nintendo's opposed to 3rd party support necessarily; if I were to use any adjective to describe their stance towards them it'd be apathy. If they want to make the effort, great. If not, get lost. I certainly don't believe they are going out of their way to do anything to help them. Until Iwata and co. are gone, there will be no change in this attitude. And even then, probably not.

#53 Edited by PikachuDude860 (546 posts) -

@MirkoS77: I agree that some things need to change, such as a better online infrastructure. (Although Mario Kart 8 runs VERY smoothly)

As for Iwata. Like I've said before, if he can't get his act together, he needs to go. But a replacement could be like trading the Witch for the Devil.

But Wii U sales are really starting to turn around. I truly believe that it's only a matter of time until 3rd party support comes back.

Once the install base gets big enough, hopefully 3rd parties will think that there is money to be made there. But their games won't sell unless they put enough effort into them. (Same game modes as other versions, exclusive gamepad features, same DLC as the others, same collector's editions, ETC.) If 3rd parties market and treat the Wii U version the same as they do the other versions, they'll sell better. Will they sell as good? No, probably not. But they should still be profitable, therefore 3rd parties can still make a little extra money.

I don't agree with Nintendo defenders that they don't need 3rd parties, and I don't buy that those who buy Nintendo systems only buy them for Nintendo games even if 3rd party games existed, either. Sure, that's truenow because that's all you can buy on their wares, and what other games are available lack in numerous areas due to Nintendo's lackluster efforts. But if they brought to market a system that held hardware parity in the same realm as Sony and MS's offerings (which would make ports easier, cost-effective, and competitive), kicked their online platform into 2014, and took the effort to really attempt to court and work with 3rd parties to bring softwareparity as well, Nintendo after a period would then have a one-up on the competition in addition: their 1st party.

IMO, even if Nintendo's consoles were as powerful as Sony amd Microsoft's consoles, people would still buy the consoles mainly for Nintendo's 1st party games. I think most people prefer games like COD and such on the other systems.

#54 Posted by PikachuDude860 (546 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5: Thanks for that. I saw an article for The Swapper coming to Wii U, but didn't read the contents. Good to see that they're taking advantage of the hardware.

It's worth noting that Project CARS, also an indie game, was canned for last gen consoles in favor of current gen hardware - including the Wii U.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info. Project Cars looks really good for an indie game.