Will 3rd party support ever come to the Wii U?

• 53 results
#1 Posted by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

As a Wii U owner/Nintendo fan, what do YOU think?

I think it *could* so long as the install base continues to grow. Wii U global sales are currently at 6.71.

3rd parties argue that their games don't sell on Wii U. Some people say that 3rd party games just don't work on Nintendo platforms....Why can't they? Why can't 3rd party support be as strong on Nintendo consoles as it is on other consoles?

This is what I'm a bit concerned about. As games get more...demanding, will the Wii U be able to run them? If 3rd parties think that there is no money to be made on the Wii U, are they really going to try to get those kind of games to run on Wii U?

Things like that make me unsure about the future of the Wii U's 3rd party support. However, it's articles like this that make me think that those kind of games CAN run on Wii U. Link.

I'll give a few quotes...

The Wii U will be receiving The Swapper this November and the game is being designed to run at the equivalent graphics from the PC build, opposite of the PlayStation 3, which had to undergo massive downgrades in key graphic departments.

Here is a quote from curve studios talking about the PS3 version.

While everyone knew that 60 fps on the PlayStation 3 wouldn’t be possible, the team wanted to make sure that the game ran at 30 fps and that the player had a consistent experience across the board.

“The obvious solution was to remove some of the lights. However, since most lights are placed to subtly guide the player in a certain direction (or aid with puzzles), avoiding major changes was the only way forward. The solution was to go through key areas of the game and examine how every light was affecting speed, then plot a path that addressed performance while keeping the overall lighting setup seemingly intact.”

Going back to the article...

"According to the Kotaku article, the Wii U will retain the lighting system from the PC version of the game. Proving once again that the console is capable of DirectX 11 style shader techniques, just not in a straightforward sense."

This has been a hotly debated topic but it appears as if the Wii U's proprietary architecture just requires more time and dedication from the team to get the most out of it. It's not using a unified system setup like the Xbox One and PS4 on x86 tech, so things may not always be a hop, skip and a jump for getting games on Nintendo's device.

Now, I know this is just an Indie game. But the fact that an indie game had to be DOWNGRADED in order to run on the PS3 and the fact that the Wii U version is the same as the PC version really says something, doesn't it?

Perhaps 3rd party games CAN run on the Wii U. 3rd party devs just need to put more time and effort into that version.

Maybe once the install base grows, 3rd party support will come back?

#2 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7256 posts) -

The Wii U just won't be able to run some games, just like how the PS2 couldn't run some games during its generation. Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay being a good example. Many games, such as Mortal Kombat X, could run on Wii U. Wii U is just a different animal that requires more time/effort to get the most out of. By no means is it the most powerful, but it's still a step up from what came before. On top of that, Nintendo's online packages aren't as robust as their competitors, so developers need to do extra work to get things like inviting friends to your game to function properly. With sales picking up, I'd like to think developers and publishers will come back. But...

this is what comes to mind when I think of 3rd party publishers and their attitude toward the Wii U.

#3 Edited by osan0 (12646 posts) -

its very unlikely.

the fact that a game does need more time and and effort to get up and running on the wiiu is one of many hinderances when it comes to 3rd parties.

there have been a few examples of 3rd parties showing that the wiiu can do more than the Ps3 and 360 (criterion showed it also by using the PC textures for need for speed).

but the game in the OP highlights some of the continued problems. itll be the last version released. its out on the PC now and will be on the other 2 in august.

once again a 3rd party game will arrive late and it will probably sell like complete crap. then 3rd parties will point and say "our games sell like crap on that platform".

so its just continuing the cycle of releasing games late and/or with missing features/poor performance on the nintendo platform to an audience that has either apathy or hostility towards 3rd party games and the game sells poorly.

there will be some niche games and some partner effort with 3rd parties and nintendo. but 3rd parties focusing on the wiiu and treating it as a first class citizen....not going to happen. if it didnt happen for the wii (and it didn't) then there is even less chance of it happening on the wii u.

#4 Edited by Star0 (443 posts) -

Nintendo never learn their lesson and keep putting obstacles in the path of the third parties that draw customers. It's really simple. People buy Nintendo systems for 1st party titles. Why would they buy inferior versions of games that are available on other platforms and look better? Some might, but is it worth the effort for those third parties? The hardware isn't being fully exploited, but there's a reason for that, developers don't find the chip architecture very intuitive. It's about streamlining development.

I think it's much too late for Nintendo to expect a big turnaround so it's really up to them to churn out a good number of top quality first and second party titles until the end of the system's life cycle. I'm happy with the number of games I already have for the system. It's been instant value for me because I waited long after launch and bought the system a few days ago. Anything else Nintendo releases will be bonuses as far as I'm concerned. Zelda, Captain Toad, Star Fox...all purchase worthy in my view.

If Nintendo really wanted 3rd parties to take the Wii U seriously then the specs would allow for it. Unbridled arrogance? Over confidence? Ineptness? Being out of touch? All of the above and more? More I'd say. The Wii U's marketing was no different to that of the Wii so how could they expect to lure PS and XB gamers? They had a year headstart on the rest of the pack and they did not even release one game to tell everyone 'here is the Wii U, it's more than just a casual system for kids' - of course, I don't actually believe that statement even though I'm of the opinion that Nintendo need to diversify, but that's the perception Nintendo have done very little to change over the years. They haven't 'diversified'. Rather they've rehashed and relied on gimmicks. Where are the brand new system-selling IPs? There are none.

On top of that, the Wii U's marketing lacked focus and still does. Nintendo said it wanted to win back the core, but ended up disenfranchising them even more. Their Wii following abandoned them after motion controls proved to be a fad. Now they're left with a wavering few and the third parties have even less confidence in the product Nintendo are trying to sell.

The tried and tested doesn't have the glowing mass appeal it once did. Nintendo need to accept this, 'innovate' and change their approach if they want to remain competitive as I imagine they do.

#5 Posted by Chozofication (2770 posts) -

The Wii U just won't be able to run some games, just like how the PS2 couldn't run some games during its generation. Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay being a good example. Many games, such as Mortal Kombat X, could run on Wii U. Wii U is just a different animal that requires more time/effort to get the most out of. By no means is it the most powerful, but it's still a step up from what came before. On top of that, Nintendo's online packages aren't as robust as their competitors, so developers need to do extra work to get things like inviting friends to your game to function properly. With sales picking up, I'd like to think developers and publishers will come back. But...

this is what comes to mind when I think of 3rd party publishers and their attitude toward the Wii U.

ding ding ding ding!

#6 Posted by KBFloYd (13278 posts) -

forget it...

it will continue to get some great 3rd party exclusive games....but if you want it to get all those ps4/x1 games then forget it. get a PC or buy one of those.

#7 Edited by Devil-Itachi (4370 posts) -

3rd parties will likely only jump on if something new sells really well on the platform. However these will likely just be me-too games. Say for example by some miracle Xenoblade X sold a couple million copies we would likely see more japanese developers take notice and jump on with some jrpgs. Not many 3rd parties make platformers these days hence why the support is so dry.

#8 Posted by bunchanumbers (513 posts) -

3rd party games can sell on it, but it needs to be something that fully utilizes the Wii Us power or features. And more than likely they will be exclusives. It might be considered a gamble, but with the right game a 3rd party game can easily sell on Wii U.

#9 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -

Bayonetta 2 is a great example of people begging for 3rd party exclusives and then just throwing a tantrum when they aren't on Xbone/PS4? dufaq?

#10 Edited by Coco_pierrot (251 posts) -

I think it could run many 3rd party games if they tone down the graphics a little bit and of course if the developper find a way to utilize the game pad which seem to be more work to implement since no other consol offer that.

The other day I was playing The Walking Dead season 2 ... and thought the Wii U Game pad would be great for a game like that ... you could have every dialogue choices on the game pad while playing the game on the big screen.

They could also have some developper for the 3ds bring some of the game for the Wii U but it sure would need a big graphics workout ... a game like Bravely Default would be amazing on the Wii U.

#11 Edited by starwolf474 (573 posts) -

Nope. In fact, the Wii U's 3rd party support is only going to get worse as developers stop making games for the last gen consoles.

Given the gap in hardware power, it will just require too much extra time and effort to port games from the Xbox One and PS4 to the Wii U when 3rd parties don't believe their games will sell well enough on the Wii U to be worth it. And they are right since hardly anybody buys only the Wii U. For the majority of Wii U owners, the Wii U is a companion console to their primary console that they bought just to play Nintendo games, so why would they buy an inferior version of a 3rd party game on Wii U when they can get a better version on their PS4, Xbox One, or PC?

It's too late for Nintendo to get good 3rd party support this gen. All they can do is make great 1st and 2nd party games to make the Wii U a worthwhile companion console purchase and I think they have been doing a good job of that.

#12 Posted by KBFloYd (13278 posts) -

Nope. In fact, the Wii U's 3rd party support is only going to get worse as developers stop making games for the last gen consoles.

Given the gap in hardware power, it will just require too much extra time and effort to port games from the Xbox One and PS4 to the Wii U when 3rd parties don't believe their games will sell well enough on the Wii U to be worth it. And they are right since hardly anybody buys only the Wii U. For the majority of Wii U owners, the Wii U is a companion console to their primary console that they bought just to play Nintendo games, so why would they buy an inferior version of a 3rd party game on Wii U when they can get a better version on their PS4, Xbox One, or PC?

It's too late for Nintendo to get good 3rd party support this gen. All they can do is make great 1st and 2nd party games to make the Wii U a worthwhile companion console purchase and I think they have been doing a good job of that.

wiiU is my primary console.

#13 Posted by thehig1 (1448 posts) -

@KBFloYd: do you own a pc as well?

A loto of pc gamers will pick the wii u as there console because it offers something different, rather than just a stripped down version of what they already have

#14 Posted by KBFloYd (13278 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

@KBFloYd: do you own a pc as well?

A loto of pc gamers will pick the wii u as there console because it offers something different, rather than just a stripped down version of what they already have

im actually planning to build my first pc....to get real 1080p 60fps graphics.... but i want a nice backlog of next gen games to play because there is nothing for me to play if i build it this year. ill be doing it next year.

but ill still hold the wiiu as my primary even then i think.

#15 Edited by ail_taco (119 posts) -

the lack of third party support isnt that much of an issue with me. as long as new developers come up with quality fun games its something i can overlook. I dont mind 1st and 2nd party support.

#16 Posted by Coco_pierrot (251 posts) -

@KBFloYd:

Right now the Wii U is also my primarly consol with the 3DS, I still have my PS3 but I haven't played it since I bought the Wii U. I don't think I'll built a PC neither. I look at all the 3rd party games comming out this year or next year and nothing grab my attention. I have enough JRPG on the 3ds to keep me very occupied

#17 Posted by Megavideogamer (5330 posts) -

The third party developers have given up on the Nintendo Wii U. It is highly unlikely that the third party publishers will come back to Nintendo. After almost 2 years on the market the Wii U install base is under 7 million. in just over 3 months the Wii U will be 2 years old.

The problem is that the 3rd parties just don't feel that the Wii U is a powerful enough system to run the games of the 8th generation. So even if the Wii U had a much larger install base. The third parties still would not support the Wii U as it is viewed as under powered for the 8th generation. So even if the install base was 25 million. 3rd parties would not support it.

Figuring what to do with the Gamepad controller seems to have been a barrier to 3rd party support. Install base is just a faction of the Wii U and lack of 3rd party support.

#18 Posted by KBFloYd (13278 posts) -

@KBFloYd:

Right now the Wii U is also my primarly consol with the 3DS, I still have my PS3 but I haven't played it since I bought the Wii U. I don't think I'll built a PC neither. I look at all the 3rd party games comming out this year or next year and nothing grab my attention. I have enough JRPG on the 3ds to keep me very occupied

i agree....i might not even build my pc because the games look a bit boring....we'll see.

#19 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@Coco_pierrot said:

@KBFloYd:

i agree....i might not even build my pc because the games look a bit boring....we'll see.

A little discouraging but I found PC gaming to be EXTREMELY overrated. Steam is nice and the prices are incredible, but there is nothing really special about PC gaming at all.

#20 Posted by XboxStache (912 posts) -
#21 Posted by starwolf474 (573 posts) -
#22 Posted by farrell2k (5824 posts) -

If you want most of the violent 3rd party stuff you find on the other two shooter consoles, you are better off buying one of them. I don't understand how anyone would want to play such violent, bloody games. The world is full enough of suffering and violence. I have no idea why anyone would want to simulate that at home.

#23 Posted by Jaysonguy (37601 posts) -

If you want most of the violent 3rd party stuff you find on the other two shooter consoles, you are better off buying one of them. I don't understand how anyone would want to play such violent, bloody games. The world is full enough of suffering and violence. I have no idea why anyone would want to simulate that at home.

Don't you have a tree to hug or something?

Mario goes around crushing everyone to death and you have no problem with it

Hypocrite

#24 Posted by farrell2k (5824 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: Your ability to look like an idiot never ceases to amaze me.

#25 Posted by trugs26 (5314 posts) -

I think it's too late. We'll just get first and second party games from here on out.

#26 Posted by Jaysonguy (37601 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: Your ability to look like an idiot never ceases to amaze me.

Says the guy who has no problem with violence, just the level of detail

You're pathetic

#27 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7256 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

Your ability to look like an idiot never ceases to amaze me.

You're pathetic

Oh man, someone doesn't want to see blood, guts, and spit spraying everywhere in their games. Wow, geeze, that must make them pathetic. It is absolutely unreasonable for someone to have a preference! Toss'em under the bus, because we can't have that.

#28 Posted by Jaysonguy (37601 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

@farrell2k said:

Your ability to look like an idiot never ceases to amaze me.

You're pathetic

Oh man, someone doesn't want to see blood, guts, and spit spraying everywhere in their games. Wow, geeze, that must make them pathetic. It is absolutely unreasonable for someone to have a preference! Toss'em under the bus, because we can't have that.

No, he's got a problem with violence in games

Well it's in Mario games, and Zelda games, and Metroid games, and even Animal Crossing.

#29 Edited by farrell2k (5824 posts) -

No, he's got a problem with violence in games

Well it's in Mario games, and Zelda games, and Metroid games, and even Animal Crossing.

I don't have a problem with it, but I don't see the appeal of simulating blood and death. It could be argued that anyone who fantasizes and even simulates killing others has a mental problem. I don't enjoy even thinking about others getting killed, but fictitious characters that bear no real resemblance to any living creature is o.k., especially when they don't bleed and just disappear when an Italian plumber jumps on their heads...

#30 Posted by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

The Wii U just won't be able to run some games, just like how the PS2 couldn't run some games during its generation. Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay being a good example. Many games, such as Mortal Kombat X, could run on Wii U. Wii U is just a different animal that requires more time/effort to get the most out of. By no means is it the most powerful, but it's still a step up from what came before. On top of that, Nintendo's online packages aren't as robust as their competitors, so developers need to do extra work to get things like inviting friends to your game to function properly. With sales picking up, I'd like to think developers and publishers will come back.

Good points. But didn't devs take the time to port games like COD and others to the original Wii? That was most likely because of it's install base.

The difference between the Wii and it's competitors and the Wii U and it's competitors isn't as big. People can argue that the Wi U is so vastly underpowerd as much they want. But the fact that a PS3 game had to be downgraded to run and the Wii U version didn't really says something, doesn't it?

I don't know how 3rd party games on Wii U will turn out in the end...But If big games don't make it to Wii U once the install base grows, I just hope it's not because 3rd party devs don't want to take the time to port the games.

It's sad that Nindendo is left alone to try to make the Wii U sell better.

#31 Posted by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

@Megavideogamer: The problem is that the 3rd parties just don't feel that the Wii U is a powerful enough system to run the games of the 8th generation. So even if the Wii U had a much larger install base. The third parties still would not support the Wii U as it is viewed as under powered for the 8th generation. So even if the install base was 25 million. 3rd parties would not support it.

Well with that being said, why did they support the original Wii then? Although it didn't get games like Bioshock, Assassins Creed and others, it still had decent 3rd party support. It had games like COD, Ghost Recon, Resident Evil and stuff. It also had quite a few 3rd party exclusives.

#32 Posted by iambatman7986 (394 posts) -

Once cross gen games stop happening, I see the little bit of 3rd party support it has now going away. It just isn't worth it to port a game to a system where 3rd party games aren't the focus. X1 and PS4 have exclusives, but they strive on their 3rd party support. I wish Nintendo would get some of these future 3rd party games, but I just see it getting worse, not better. That's why I own the other consoles along with my Wii U.

#33 Posted by Grieverr (2659 posts) -

I think it's too late for the Wii U, unfortunately. I love the thing, but let's be honest here, this is as much support as it's gonna get.

With the help of Mario Kart 8, they are at 6.71 Million units, as @pikachudude860 stated. Let's assume Smash Bros adds another million (unlikely) and then Zelda. That's still under 10 Million units in over 2 years on the market. I don't see any scenario where Nintendo will sell another 10 million units or so in the next 2 years. So the numbers are not there. I do believe that the Wii U can run great looking games, but the effort needs to be put in by the developers. And that's just time and money that they are not willing to invest.

In regards to why did they support the Wii? Well, the easy answer is it had massive sales, so the risk was worth it. Second, how much support did the Wii get towards the end of it's life? The Wii U launched with a nice lineup and lots of 3rd party support. But it seems those titles did not sell well and those 3rd parties have decided it's not worth putting games on the Wii U.

#34 Edited by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

I think it's too late for the Wii U, unfortunately. I love the thing, but let's be honest here, this is as much support as it's gonna get.

With the help of Mario Kart 8, they are at 6.71 Million units, as @pikachudude860 stated. Let's assume Smash Bros adds another million (unlikely) and then Zelda. That's still under 10 Million units in over 2 years on the market. I don't see any scenario where Nintendo will sell another 10 million units or so in the next 2 years. So the numbers are not there. I do believe that the Wii U can run great looking games, but the effort needs to be put in by the developers. And that's just time and money that they are not willing to invest.

In regards to why did they support the Wii? Well, the easy answer is it had massive sales, so the risk was worth it. Second, how much support did the Wii get towards the end of it's life? The Wii U launched with a nice lineup and lots of 3rd party support. But it seems those titles did not sell well and those 3rd parties have decided it's not worth putting games on the Wii U.

You make a lot of good points, especially with the original Wii. I don't think anyone or even Nintendo thinks the Wii U will sell as much as the orinigal Wii. That's impossible at this point. However, the massive install base is what I was referring to. It's true that 3rd party support declined towards the end of it's life. But it's the install base that made them want to port games to the Wii in the first place. Will the Wii U's install base ever be as high? Heck no. But the fact that Ubisoft has stated that they won't release any 3rd party games until the install base increases says something...Perhaps.

As for the global sales, don't you think your underestimating the Wii U a bit? You say it's unlikely for Smash Bros. to add another million. If I remember corectly, the Wii U did pretty well last holiday season. If Smash were to be released now, I don't think it could move a million units. however, if Nintendo released a system bundle (which they'd have to be INSANE not to) for Christmas/Black Friday don't you think it could pull it off?

Christmas and Black Friday is when everyone and their mommy, doggy and baby is out buying stuff. Trying to get all the good deals. If their looking for a console, the Wii U is $299. (Starting at) They'd have exclusive games like Smash Bros., Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third. Sonic Boom and all of the older exclusives like Mario Kart 8, 3D World, Donkey Kong, Wind Waker HD and others. Plus other 3rd party games like Skylanders and the Lego games. Nintendo is also releasing the Amiibos. That should catch parents attention. So the system is cheaper, has free internet and has more exclusive games coming out than the other consoles...IMO, all Nintendo needs is a new limited edition color for Wii U. (Smash Bros. Silver) and some holiday commercials.

I'd also like to add that all the big "killer apps" for the PS and Xbox are NOT coming out until next year. The only two big system sellers coming out this year are Destiny and the Halo Collection.

With all that being said, do you think that could add a million units or two?

PS: I forgot about games like Zelda U, Splatoon, StarFox and the possibility of Metroid, Pokemon, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, Fire emblem and more new IPs. We just have to wait and see what happens.

#35 Edited by Chozofication (2770 posts) -

@pikachudude860:

I'd be shocked if Wii U wasn't $250 retail by this holiday, for the deluxe bundles.

#36 Posted by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

@Chozofication: Yeah, a price drop could seal the deal for a lot of people. They should definitely do that for the deluxe bundles. Then the other bundles should be $299.

#37 Edited by Jaysonguy (37601 posts) -

Wow, you know I don't tolerate fanboys and Nintendo fanboys are the worst but you're going at a whole new level of being a fanboy

I'd also like to add that all the big "killer apps" for the PS and Xbox are NOT coming out until next year. The only two big system sellers coming out this year are Destiny and the Halo Collection.

This shows how out of touch you are with the industry.

COD
Madden
FIFA
Drive Club
Forza
NHL
Dragon Age
The Crew
Evolve
Far Cry
WWE
Metro
Middle Earth
Assassin's Creed
Sunset Overdrive

All those will be big games. COD and FIFA will rule the world online and both games have legs.

If you want a racing game the other consoles have superior offerings
If you want sports games the other consoles are the only place you'll find them
If you want First person shooters or action games the other consoles have superior offerings

#38 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7256 posts) -

Good points. But didn't devs take the time to port games like COD and others to the original Wii? That was most likely because of it's install base.

The difference between the Wii and it's competitors and the Wii U and it's competitors isn't as big. People can argue that the Wi U is so vastly underpowerd as much they want. But the fact that a PS3 game had to be downgraded to run and the Wii U version didn't really says something, doesn't it?

I don't know how 3rd party games on Wii U will turn out in the end...But If big games don't make it to Wii U once the install base grows, I just hope it's not because 3rd party devs don't want to take the time to port the games.

It's sad that Nindendo is left alone to try to make the Wii U sell better.

Indeed, the install base drew Activision to release CoD on Wii. Fortunately for them, the IW 3.0 engine, used in CoD, is extremely flexible and made it possible to scale the project down to Nintendo's system with a few concessions(no split screen in Modern Warfare Reflex). Many 3rd party games couldn't do that, including Mass Effect and Batman. Their engines and scope of their games were above and beyond what Wii was capable of. Even if they wanted to bring the project over, it was technically impossible. I wish it wasn't so. Playing Mass Effect with the Wiimote/Nunchuck is something I've been wanting to do for a while(I even tried to write my own mod for the PC version).

True, the Wii U has more in common with its competitors this round than Wii did back in the day and maybe this will improve its fortunes down the road. What game are you talking about? I don't recall hearing about a downgraded port.

It's Nintendo's own fault that they're left alone to prop up the Wii U. They fumbled the launch because they got insanely arrogant with the Wii's success. They thought Wii U was going to sell 10 million units in the first year due to the brand name. Like a certain competitor, who's hubris got the best of them last gen, it bit them in the ass. Nintendo needed benchmarking software out to showcase the system's power, a marketing campaign that made it clear their product was a new system, and a dozen other things that have been discussed to death.

Nintendo is getting its heavy hitters out the door and the situation is improving in terms of sales. Whether this will develop into anything meaningful regarding 3rd parties, I suppose we'll see.

#39 Edited by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: Fanboy?

By "Killer Apps" I ment system sellers. Those will be big games no doubt. But you DON'T have to buy a 8th gen console just to play those games. You can get them on a last gen console or PC. The last gen consoles are much cheaper and have free online and lots of games. Depends on the person, but why would you pay $500 for a game you can get on much cheaper systems?

Another thing is...I don't see too too many people buying a console just for those games. Maybe they'd buy them after they've bought the system, but I don't think those are the games that would push a large amount of people into buying a console.

I believe the big killer app system sellers are games like Uncharted 4, Halo 5, The Division, The Order 1886 and Bloodborn. All of those games come out next year.

#40 Posted by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5: Indeed, the install base drew Activision to release CoD on Wii. Fortunately for them, the IW 3.0 engine, used in CoD, is extremely flexible and made it possible to scale the project down to Nintendo's system with a few concessions(no split screen in Modern Warfare Reflex). Many 3rd party games couldn't do that, including Mass Effect and Batman. Their engines and scope of their games were above and beyond what Wii was capable of. Even if they wanted to bring the project over, it was technically impossible. I wish it wasn't so. Playing Mass Effect with the Wiimote/Nunchuck is something I've been wanting to do for a while(I even tried to write my own mod for the PC version).

True, the Wii U has more in common with its competitors this round than Wii did back in the day and maybe this will improve its fortunes down the road. What game are you talking about? I don't recall hearing about a downgraded port.

It's Nintendo's own fault that they're left alone to prop up the Wii U. They fumbled the launch because they got insanely arrogant with the Wii's success. They thought Wii U was going to sell 10 million units in the first year due to the brand name. Like a certain competitor, who's hubris got the best of them last gen, it bit them in the ass. Nintendo needed benchmarking software out to showcase the system's power, a marketing campaign that made it clear their product was a new system, and a dozen other things that have been discussed to death.

Nintendo is getting its heavy hitters out the door and the situation is improving in terms of sales. Whether this will develop into anything meaningful regarding 3rd parties, I suppose we'll see.

That's a good reason as to why games like Bioshock and Skyrim were not on the original Wii. The hardware just couldn't run them. That's why I say that the Wii U is more capable of running those kind high end 3rd party games than the original Wii was. The graphics and/or frame rate may be towned down, but I think the games can still run and work well. I believe the main reason 3rd party games aren't selling on Wii U is because 3rd parties are not putting enough effort into the Wii U versions. (Version comes out later then others, missing features, no DLC, no use of the gamepad, etc.)

Yeah, Nintendo fan or not, you have to admit Nintendo dropped the ball with the Wii U's launch. They didn't do any compelling marketing at all. People got confused and didn't even know that the Wii U was a new console and not a addon for the original Wii. They didn't show off enough compelling features and thought it would just sell off of the name. Yeah, they screwed up on that part...Big time.

I think Nintendo is starting to learn their lesson. If 3rd party support doesn't come back to the Wii U, maybe Nintendo can just acquire some more 3rd party exclusives. Maybe buy Capcom. I think Nintendo needs to learn from all of this and do things right next gen. Just make the console powerful and accessible enough so 3rd parties have nothing to complain about.

#41 Posted by Jaysonguy (37601 posts) -

Those will be big games no doubt. But you DON'T have to buy a 8th gen console just to play those games. You can get them on a last gen console or PC. The last gen consoles are much cheaper and have free online and lots of games. Depends on the person, but why would you pay $500 for a game you can get on much cheaper systems?

You can't get those games for last gen systems......

Try to get FIFA or NBA 2K with the newest engines anywhere else

Or do you think that engines don't matter? Because if you think that all games on all platforms have the same quality we should stop talking now.

#42 Posted by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: The engines may be be a bit different but the games and gameplay is generally...Nevermind...

Anyway, Would you pay over $400 just for some "new engines"? To each their own.

#43 Edited by ail_taco (119 posts) -

yay people didnt hate my response!

#44 Posted by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

@ail_taco: I actually agree with you. Lack of 3rd party doesn't bother me as a Wii U owner. But as a Nintendo fan, I think the Wii U could REALLY use it.

#45 Posted by PikachuDude860 (593 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5: Opps. Forgot to mention the downgraded game. It's an indie game called "The Swapper" Link.

I know it's an indie game, but it's still a game.

#46 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7256 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5: Opps. Forgot to mention the downgraded game. It's an indie game called "The Swapper" Link.

Thanks for that. I saw an article for The Swapper coming to Wii U, but didn't read the contents. Good to see that they're taking advantage of the hardware.

It's worth noting that Project CARS, also an indie game, was canned for last gen consoles in favor of current gen hardware - including the Wii U.

#47 Posted by Jaysonguy (37601 posts) -

@Jaysonguy: The engines may be be a bit different but the games and gameplay is generally...Nevermind...

Anyway, Would you pay over $400 just for some "new engines"? To each their own.

This is why you're the perfect Nintendo fanboy, you think things like better engines, AI, and graphics aren't needed.

So when Nintendo tosses out hardware that's lacking you don't care. Gameplay and graphics don't mean much to you, just the name on the box.

Quintessential fanboy

#48 Posted by Chozofication (2770 posts) -

@pikachudude860 said:

It's worth noting that Project CARS, also an indie game, was canned for last gen consoles in favor of current gen hardware - including the Wii U.

Yeah, and those guys have some programmer's working on that game that worked on Need for speed wanted U, which looks great, much better than the last gen versions.

Fast racing Neo is an upcoming racer that should push Wii U hardware a lot, with all these and mk8 Wii U is becoming a great console for racers.

#49 Posted by Jaysonguy (37601 posts) -

@pikachudude860 said:

Thanks for that. I saw an article for The Swapper coming to Wii U, but didn't read the contents. Good to see that they're taking advantage of the hardware.

You mean the game that's being released for the PS4 and Xbox One while no timetable is set for the Wii U?

#50 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7256 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

You mean the game that's being released for the PS4 and Xbox One while no timetable is set for the Wii U?

Yes, the one that has been delayed til 2015 on Wii U.