Wii won't read discs anymore?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

User Lists: 0

#1 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

I recently purchased a Wii some few weeks back. Today while playing Trauma Center it froze and said it wasn't able to read the disc for some reason. After that, it stopped reading all of my games altogether. Yes they've all been inserted in the correct way and I've tried restarting my system to no avail.

Anybody know how to fix this? Should I send it to Nintendo?

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

Try a lens cleaning kit.

You can probably find one cheaper.

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

Call Nintendo.

Since you just bought it a few weeks ago it'll be under warranty. They'll probly tell you that you need to send it in to them for repairs.

Sorry to hear that though, it's unfortunate that you already got the disc read error after just a few weeks.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#4 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

I don't know if a lens cleaning kit will solve the problem. It seems they were designed to help reduce the risk of DRE, not fix it entirely.

I'm going to try it anyway. If it still doesn't work then the only viable option would be to send it in for repairs.

Any other suggestions I can try out? Thanks in advance.

supertapey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 supertapey
Member since 2009 • 259 Posts

this happened to me to what has happened is somebody has tried to shove in more than one disk so what you have is send or take your wii to the nearest nintendo

psyko0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 psyko0815
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts

This happened to me when I first bought the Wii. I bought it and right out of the box, it wouldn't read discs. I exchanged it at the store for a new one that has worked flawlessly ever since. Anyway, I would see if you can exchange it in store if you just bought it a few weeks ago. It would probably be much better than sending it in for repairs.

J_Ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 J_Ford
Member since 2003 • 2246 Posts

This happened to me when I first bought the Wii. I bought it and right out of the box, it wouldn't read discs. I exchanged it at the store for a new one that has worked flawlessly ever since. Anyway, I would see if you can exchange it in store if you just bought it a few weeks ago. It would probably be much better than sending it in for repairs.

psyko0815

If he already downloaded any VC or Wii Ware games then he'd loose them. He'd only be able to get his stuff saved by sending it to Nintendo because they'd either transfer all his downloads to a newWii or just repair that one.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

I really don't thing a Lens Cleaning Kit will help you beucase your Wii is new and haven't been use a lot. I recomend you call Nintendo and if you don't have save files and virtual console games in it try to change it at the store.

almossbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 almossbb
Member since 2008 • 1979 Posts

like everyone else mentioned, call nintendo or send them an email from the support website. a similar thing happened to me after my warranty expired, my wii would not read disks like SSBB and sometimes Metroid and Zelda, so i sent thm an email, and they said i should send it in for repairs FOR FREE. i sent both my wii and the SSBB disk, they fixed the wii and replaced my SSBB disk, and it worked perfectly again. so just tell nintendo and you should get the problem solved.

Sabin55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 Sabin55
Member since 2008 • 361 Posts

Another option you can try is to unplug the system. This will reset the console. There have been a few times where I needed to pull the power cord to get it working again.

If you have heavy smokers in the house it is possible the lens is dirty already. The lens cleaner will fix this. If you don't, return the Wii as the disk errors will only get worse over time. It is only a matter of time before the disk drive starts to go on those. You will notice the drive making different noises and more disk errors. It happens over time though and should not be happening on a console two weeks old.