Wii U Zelda - Epona to detect trees and not crash? Cool!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OneWingedGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By OneWingedGames
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

As the title says, how great is that feature? I've played so many games where the horses have trouble getting around things. I know it's a small details but when they mentioned it in the recent demo for Wii U Zelda, I thought that was pretty smart. Is this a game first or has it been done in others before?

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Yeah it's a really nice touch. I'm surprised that no one has actually thought of doing this yet. It's particularly useful for horseback archery.

OneWingedGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OneWingedGames

@trugs26: Tis indeed! Oh you just reminded me of the slow mo that happens when you jump off *drools slightly

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It'll definitely make aiming and riding a bit easier. Coolest part for me was jumping off the horse and using the bow and arrow in slow motion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

They're making it so a child can play it and do well

It's Nintendo once again making their games play themselves

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

@Jaysonguy: So do you not like quick travel in Skyrim or Xenoblade?

The auto horse control is smart. It streamlines the control mechanism of riding a horse without complete skip travel and it allows you to do other things like combat instead of jumping off the horse and then getting back on.

That being said, I hope there's skip travel as well.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

this is cool.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34469 Posts

Not sure how I feel, as I like having control over stuff. Sometimes when games try to simplify things, it just gets worse. I worry that the horse will go where I don't want it to. But whatever. Game is gonna kick ass.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

@Litchie: I predict you'll have some control if you want it. Maybe you'll be able to "gently" steer.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

To my understanding, you can control Epona when you want to directly and it jumps into auto pilot when you want to her to do so.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Like riding a horse was difficult at all in the first place? Stop deluding yourself, a child could ride a horse anyway.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Honestly this is how I see this feature as well. It's kind of like Assassin's creed where you can't really run into things because they'll jump on them or climb them. Makes it semi realistic I guess.

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts

That feature impresses me. It's a nice touch by the developers.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Nice touch but it's certainly not what I'd call a cutting edge feature. Hopefully nintendo really pulls the stops out for this one.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Yes. Because horses run into shit in real life, unless you tell it not to. Its an animal, not a car moron.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

@doozie78 said:

Nice touch but it's certainly not what I'd call a cutting edge feature.

The devil is in the details, or so the old saying goes. Nintendo really crafts their games with several factors in mind. It's what makes their games so special.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Let us cast judgement when we actually see how it works. Jumping to conclusion doesn't help anyone.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

A good feature. There's no way a player could navigate around the obstacles shown in the demo manually without making drastic adjustments to turn circle (which would no longer feel like a horse) or avoiding running in between them (which needlessly limits where you can use the horse) or slowing down to move around them (which stops them from doing other things and kills pacing).

Here the developer has recognised an issue few other developers have attempted to tackle... and then done something about it. Most games would just be a collision detection mess of invisible walls, with trees behaving as if they were twice as wide as they appear.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

@Articuno76 said:

A good feature. There's no way a player could navigate around the obstacles shown in the demo manually without making drastic adjustments to turn circle (which would no longer feel like a horse) or avoiding running in between them (which needlessly limits where you can use the horse) or slowing down to move around them (which stops them from doing other things and kills pacing).

Here the developer has recognised an issue few other developers have attempted to tackle... and then done something about it. Most games would just be a collision detection mess of invisible walls, with trees behaving as if they were twice as wide as they appear.

I can agree with this, it all starts back to when Epona automatically jumped fences back in OoT, some games they cant even do that. Play other games with horses and you see the exactly what Articuno means. I'm playing Inquisition now and there is a lot of starting and stopping, because the horse runs into rocks, fences and trees. And you cant even fight on horseback, I could only imagine what kind of mess that would be. Its a good idea, its not a dramatic revolutionary idea, but still a good idea nonetheless.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

I'm ok with this. I remember trying to aim a bow while riding a horse in Shadow of the Colossus and it was annoying.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

So many pathetic responses trying to defend this

It's making the game on rails

People are making it seem like you need the manual dexterity of a neurosurgeon to work the game. It's not that hard but children in the 3-7 age range may have trouble so Nintendo is doing what they're always doing and making it so it'll play itself. Now if parents were the ones talking here about their kids and their awful reflexes that's fine, "Tammy doesn't move as fast as the other 4 year olds" but you have people who are old enough to post here (13) and older saying "yup, less control over the character is something I always appreciate. Sometimes I play movies and imagine they're games."

Oh, and the thread itself was made by the spammer who is now trying to get you to look at his stuff by making "normal" posts.

Train wrecks look at this thread and say it looks bad.

Oh and for the mensa member who said "it's a horse not a car"

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=horse+fails

Have a ball

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

lol speaking of pathetic responses. Looking forward to seeing how this plays in like a horseback duel.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

I don't know because in GTA 5 you have to control your car from crashing and shoot at the same time, and I even use free-aim to make it even more difficult. I like a challenge.

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

Pony Sonar online!

Hostile trees detected!

Take evasive actions!

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Sure. Don't come whining when you get inevitably stuck on the Water Temple.

@mikehockbourns said:

I don't know because in GTA 5 you have to control your car from crashing and shoot at the same time, and I even use free-aim to make it even more difficult. I like a challenge.

Driving and shooting (and crashing) are core aspects of GTA. Running into a tree on horseback isn't in Zelda. I get what you're saying, but if you think about it, usually when on horseback in a game, if you run into a tree, the horse just slowly and artificially shifts to the side and keeps running. I see it more as a way to not break immersion, rather than something that takes away from the challenge.

EDIT: I'd like to clarify one thing though: I'm not all that impressed with the feature, I just think it's not really something you can complain about or insult Nintendo over.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

@ianhh6 said:

@Jaysonguy said:

Sure. Don't come whining when you get inevitably stuck on the Water Temple.

@mikehockbourns said:

Driving and shooting (and crashing) are core aspects of GTA. Running into a tree on horseback isn't in Zelda. I get what you're saying, but if you think about it, usually when on horseback in a game, if you run into a tree, the horse just slowly and artificially shifts to the side and keeps running. I see it more as a way to not break immersion, rather than something that takes away from the challenge.

EDIT: I'd like to clarify one thing though: I'm not all that impressed with the feature, I just think it's not really something you can complain about or insult Nintendo over.

yea i guess you're right about that.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Are people actually complaining that horses don't run into shit? I swear people are inherently programmed to be whinny bitches and while most grow out of it some don't. Like Jaysonguy.

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

Yes because a child could play World of Warcraft and do well. That game has auto-walking too, and it's a feature that is quite common in many mmo's and rpg's with massive worlds in which the player must travel long distances. All it does is hold the "W" button for you (or in this case, pushes the thumb stick) so that it doesn't become cramp. As for the horse not running into trees... come off it. If the horse ran into trees constantly, that wouldn't make it hard, just frustrating for all the wrong reasons. Look at Skyrim, for example, when your horse gets stuck that is NOT fun. This just shows superior path finding.

OneWingedGames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 OneWingedGames

@Articuno76: Indeed, have not seen it before with horses but in FarCry 4 there is a similar feature which I love. When driving or riding something, you can switch to an auto pilot mode so you can keep moving, while you take aim at anyone chasing you. Handy feature :)

@Jolt_counter119: I was actually just thinking that, lol. I think it's a great feature as in my experience with games, its rare controlling a hourse is fun and tree's have always been an issue.

So far Nintendo hasn't said you can't control Epona like normal. They simply said you won't be hitting tree's (if I'm wrong and anyone has a link, do share)