Wii u specs, is it better than current gen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by foxfacer2d2 (570 posts) -

360 got 3 cores and wii u got also 3 but the ps3 cell processor?

#2 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

More RAM, newer graphics chip.

Yes, it's better.

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (31581 posts) -
Yes. Can actually output 1080P
#4 Posted by Jaysonguy (37991 posts) -

Yes. Can actually output 1080PMonsieurX

So can the other two consoles

#5 Posted by MonsieurX (31581 posts) -

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Yes. Can actually output 1080PJaysonguy

Let me rephrase it. Games native resolution.
#6 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4940 posts) -
Even a "Broadway" enhanced Wii U CPU clocked at 1.4Ghz with three cores would outperform the 360's Xenon at 3.2Ghz so don't judge it on paper. IBM has repeatedly said the Wii U uses Power 7 but it could be a mesh of Power 7 with some legacy Broadway features built in. Clock speed is "closer" to the Wii'S 729Mhz than it is to the 360's 3.2Ghz. Most people are thinking it will end up in the 1.8Ghz-2.4Ghz range. And even a 1.8Ghz CPU would be much better than the Xenon using the tech IBM/Nintendo use. The GPU has been rumored to be 50% better. No clock speeds, sorry It has 2GB RAM, 1GB for games and at least some of the other 1GB could open up to games in the future. No VRAM number but it is said to have 32MB EDRAM which is more than 3 times the amount the 360 has. Basically: It's 2-4 times as powerful as current consoles depending on how you look at it. I don't know why people think it's specs are bad, I'm very very happy with it.
#7 Posted by KBFloYd (14633 posts) -

call of duty and now batman and assasinscreed 3 running at native 1080P confirm its stronger...no doubts anymore.

#8 Posted by Jaysonguy (37991 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Yes. Can actually output 1080PMonsieurX

Again, so can the other two consoles

#9 Posted by KBFloYd (14633 posts) -

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

maybe on rayman origins and other weak 2d games....

but they couldnt do it on call of duty and that alone is xd.

#10 Posted by thetravman (3543 posts) -

Jaysonguy

ha....no.

#11 Posted by Jaysonguy (37991 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"] Let me rephrase it. Games native resolution.thetravman

ha....no.

You're going to want to do some research

#12 Posted by Human-after-all (2969 posts) -

[QUOTE="thetravman"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

ha....no.

1080p without shltting the bed, will that suffice?
#13 Posted by thetravman (3543 posts) -

[QUOTE="thetravman"]

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Jaysonguy

ha....no.

Not saying it's not possible, but there are very few native 1080p games compared to 720p and sub-HD.

#14 Posted by super600 (31038 posts) -

I thinking the WiiU will be around the same power range someone in this thread already posted from what I been reading from rumors including the weak CPU rumors.I think people may be surprised with the console's power once devs get use ot it.

#15 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (8016 posts) -

It's more than just cores. The IBM Power7 architecture gives each core four threads to work with, meaning you have 3 physical and 12 logical processors. In comparison, the Xbox 360 has three cores, each with two threads - 3 physical, 6 logical. According to developers, the core clock on the Wii U processor is a tad slower than what's currently out, but that really doesn't mean anything in terms of how capable it is(i5 2.8Ghz > Pentium D 3.0Ghz). The Wii U has more memory and a better graphics chip, as well. So, yes, it's better than current gen hardware.

#16 Posted by foxfacer2d2 (570 posts) -

Ahh so it is better and it runs on native resolution 1080p unlike other consoles which can also run on that resolution but with a sacrifice. The wii u's native resolution must be the real deal perfecting the performance of 1080p 60fps. so far it is a smart move for nintendo i think. There are really few good games that run on that resolution but hoping that the wii u will change all that. I guess the current gen was not perfect at all, coz Some could not run on that resolution perfectly. No wonder at the back cover of some of my ps3 games could only run 720p and wondering why not 1080p 60fps coz i have a led 1080p tv. Graphics does matter but only if the system and tv could handle it perfectly.

#17 Posted by PAL360 (27262 posts) -

WiiU > 360 = PS3

#18 Posted by foxfacer2d2 (570 posts) -

Better graphics, better gameplay, papa johns errrr i mean wii u

#19 Posted by superbuuman (3211 posts) -

Even if you want to say "oh there's not much difference"..just remember these are launch games, imagine what graphics it will push out after 1 or 2 yrs. Ah Metroid/Zelda. ;)

#20 Posted by foxfacer2d2 (570 posts) -

This is it im buyin it.

#21 Posted by Digital_DJ_00 (1460 posts) -

Jaysonguy

Um, no. All current games run at a "native" resolution of 720p. However, the 360 will allow you to "upscale" most games to 1080p. Upscaled 1080p and Native 1080p are NOT the same thing buddy... This is a HUGE misconception among MANY gamers, so don't feel bad.