Wii U Info and Discussion Thread - (Lots of Games, Pics and Vids!)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Posted by shearMario (2134 posts) -

Xenoblade Developers making another game for the WiiU??:o

This pleases me greatly!

dreamdude
Nintendo do own monolith soft so yep that was always likely...
#202 Posted by KnightSkull (1701 posts) -

[QUOTE="dreamdude"]

This pleases me greatly!

shearMario

They do???

Since when?

#203 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

[QUOTE="shearMario"][QUOTE="dreamdude"]

This pleases me greatly!

KnightSkull

They do???

Since when?

2007, they own 100% of the company lol.
#204 Posted by JollyGreenOne (955 posts) -

Out of all the games they showed off at the Preview, which do you think looked the most impressive, Jolly?

Gamingclone

Hmm... There were a couple of games that looked pretty impressive to me. One of them being Nintendo Land!

Metroid Blast looks like a lot of fun, and I like that you can play co-op locally without splitting the screen -- I've been calling it full-screen local multiplayer -- and it's a feature that I've always wanted on a home console. Another thing I liked about it was that he said they were on the 8th mission and they weren't even halfway through mission mode; plus it has boss battles! You can see Miis fighting Ridley in the new trailer, and I've read there's a level that has a massive, mechanical Kraid that you can climb using your grapple beam. I think I'll have a lot of fun with Metroid Blast, even though I've never gotten into the Metroid franchise.

And the new trailer for 'The Wonderful 101' looked awesome! I love the line the voice-over guy says at the end. :lol:

I was surprised by the announcement of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, it's cool how the Wii U version can go online or play locally with the 3DS version, and you can transfer your save file between both versions. I've been wanting to try out Monster Hunter for a while now, so I'm probably going to get this one.

I had been wondering for a what Shin'ens games would look like on the Wii U, and after seeing the trailer for their new Wii U eShop title 'Nano Assault Neo' all I can say is... WOW!

683299_20120913_screen002.jpg

I enjoyed the first Nano Assault on 3DS and Neo looks like it'll be just as fun. I'm also glad that it features 2 player full-screen local co-op with online leaderboards!

I thought those were some of the most impressive games that were shown at the preview event. Which games impressed you the most, Gc?

~Section Updates~

Note: In each 'VIDS' section the newest videos are at the top, and the oldest are at the bottom.

- Added new box art, info, pics and 3 vids to the New Super Mario Bros. U section
- Added new box art and 1 video to the LEGO City: Undercover section
- Added new box art, info, pics and 9 vids to the Nintendo Land section
- Added a Bayonetta 2 section
- Added 1 vid to the Wonderful 101 section

That's all for now. I'll update the other sections as soon as I can.

#205 Posted by GameboyTroy (2469 posts) -

Brand New New Super Mario Bros U Trailer

Grand Theft Auto 5 For Wii U Listed By Retailer

Official Wii U Packaging Reveals Feature Called 'Wii U Chat'

007 Legends - Goldfinger footage

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - Wii U video interview

Why Nintendo TVii might outperform Xbox Live and PSN's as a media service

Darksiders II - Wii U-specific details (DLC, on-disc content, motion controls and more)

Evidence keeps mounting for Need for Speed: Most Wanted on Wii U, may hit at Euro launch

Nintendo Land - 26 minute HD video footage, impressions

ZombiU - details on online features, multiplayer modes

Wii U - speculative launch day lineup for North America

Xenoblade Developers Tell Fans To Watch Tokyo GameShow

High Quality Wii U Final Hardware Images Appear Online

Unity CEO says DirectX 11 equivalent functionality 'potentially possible' on Wii U

Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper - off-screen footage

Dragon Quest X - more Wii U details

Dragon Quest X Beta To Be Included With Japanese Wii U Premium In Japan

GAME- Wii U prices, ZombiU Premium package available in Europe

Capcom Explains How Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3DS And Wii U WorkTogether

Wii U - 'What's in the box' infographics

Nintendo Doesn't Plan To Reduce Wii U Price For Years

I'll keep adding links to this post.

By the end of this month I won't be on this site for a while because I probably won't have internet access and won't be able to post any news for a while, seriously.

#206 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

What impressed me the most? Well Super Mario U, Nintendo Land, and other stuff. Feeling too lazy to remember the names, lol.

Also, nice update Jolly!

#207 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Here is an article about Wii U's start menu.

Nintendo talked a lot about the Wii U yesterday, but there was one big topic they didn't cover: the Miiverse, the console's version of a social network.

Turns out you'll see it as soon as you boot up the Wii U. In fact, according to Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime, who sat down with us at Kotaku's offices this afternoon, the machine's login screen is one big social network.

"When you turn on your Wii U, let's assume that you're connected," he said, "so when you turn on your Wii U what you're gonna see is that home screen with all of the Miis and the Miiverse community, and what's trending, kind of the key comments that have bubbled up through the system. So as long as you're in a connected environment, that's the first screen you see."

Sounds like a Facebook newsfeed, doesn't it? Fils-Aime says the community of people will be curated by both you and Nintendo, not unlike your Facebook or Twitter. Seems to mesh well with Stephen's theory that Nintendo is trying to create its own social networking giant.

So who are the Miis invading your homepage? "These are your friends, these are people who have high reputation within the site, and so we've curated for you to see those messages," Fils-Aime said.

"So like Reggie Fils-Aime?" I asked. Could he be making appearances on our systems?

Sure. "We could also do some messages directly from Nintendo to that point," he said.

In addition to the Miis, Fils-Aime says there will be "what [they're] calling 'tiles.'"

"These'll be the key games that the community are playing, buzzing about," he said. "Because of the deep linkage through Nintendo TVii with video services, these could also be movies. They could be TV shows, could be a range of different content, but it's bubbling up through the community, with the exception of I think the maximum of three tiles that we might be sending in terms of Nintendo thinking that something's interesting."

Fils-Aime: "We have spent a lot of time and invested a lot of money to get our connected experiences right."

So that's the start-up screen. To get to the rest of your contentlike the game in your drive, the newly announced Nintendo TVii and the digital eShopyou'll have to hit the home button. There are no channels on Wii U like there were on the Wii; instead you'll have "options for where you wanna go from there," Fils-Aime said. You could jump straight to Netflix, for example, or go into the separate Miiverse application for more social options.

This Miiverse application won't resemble Nintendo TVii in terms of interface or options, but it will let you send messages, see what your friends are doing, and recommend games to the people you know.

As we've seen, New Super Mario Bros. U uses the Miiverse in an interesting way: as you walk through the world map, you'll see messages from other people offering tips, complaining about how hard a given level is, or even bragging about how awesome they are. Fils-Aime says other games can integrate the Miiverse in similar fashion, "but it'll be driven by the individual developer."

They'll be showing other examples of how games can integrate the Miiverse in the near future.

As for online networks? Reggie says the same thing: Stay tuned.

"And by that I mean, it's gonna be best for us to show the specific mechanics, how it works, for me to sit here and try to explain it to you without some nice visuals is gonna take our entire interview time," he said. "The key message I would communicate to your readers would be this: We have spent a lot of time and invested a lot of money to get our connected experiences right. And so when we highlight how the eShop will work, how the Nintendo Network is going to work, I think people are going to be very pleased."

And what about the much-reviled friend codes? Fils-Aime told us during E3 that they will indeed be back, albeit in a more convenient form. But he wouldn't share anything else today.

"We've heard the community feedback on friend codes and we're making it dramatically easier for you to connect with your friends," he said.

We'll have more from our extensive interview with Fils-Aime in the coming days.Kotaku

Edit* They confirmed in the comments that Reggie said that their will be no ads in Miiverse.

#208 Posted by Sepewrath (28735 posts) -
Why put ads in Miiverse when they can just put it in the eshop like they do on the 3DS, it only makes sense. I guess someone should have told MS that though. When it comes to that article about Nintendo TVii being superior to PSN and Live media services, I think that goes without saying. All the current consoles offer is a different method to the same ends, they don't add anything. The Wii U on the other hand, has a second screen, that's larger than a smart phone, easier to move around than a laptop and connected to the TV. Then you have all that miscellaneous stuff it can do like with the DVR, finding all services available and such and yeah its definitely better than what's available on the 360 or PS3.
#209 Posted by KnightSkull (1701 posts) -

[QUOTE="KnightSkull"]

[QUOTE="shearMario"] Nintendo do own monolith soft so yep that was always likely...WreckEm711

They do???

Since when?

Really?

Where the hell have I been since 2007 :shock:I usually keep track of things like this...

Oh well, this makes me happy all the same :D :P

#210 Posted by dreamdude (4615 posts) -

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"][QUOTE="KnightSkull"]

They do???

Since when?

KnightSkull

Really?

Where the hell have I been since 2007 :shock:I usually keep track of things like this...

Oh well, this makes me happy all the same :D :P

Did not know all of this.

This pleases me greatly even more.

#211 Posted by driftwood606 (106 posts) -

I thought monolith soft was announcing something today?

#212 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

I thought monolith soft was announcing something today?

driftwood606

I think it had something to do with Project X Zone. That was the only thing I could find today that was related to Monolith Soft.

#213 Posted by Human-after-all (2968 posts) -
Sorta disappointed Pikmin 3 isn't a day 1 launch game, neither is Rayman. At least I don't have to buy one until March I guess.
#214 Posted by GameboyTroy (2469 posts) -

Its that time for me to disappear for a while. Good luck.

http://mynintendonews.com/

http://www.gonintendo.com/

http://wiiudaily.com/

#215 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

New Nintendo Direct tonight for North America and Japan. Link

Here is the Source

Nintendo of America Nintendo Direct broadcast incoming tonight. Stay tuned for news.

#216 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

Here is the Source

Nintendo of America Nintendo Direct broadcast incoming tonight. Stay tuned for news.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Wish they said where they got that info from, I just looked at Nintendo of America's and Japans websites and twitters and they havent mentioned anything about it.

But if true, Nintendo will upload the video to their youtube channel(s)

#217 Posted by GameboyTroy (2469 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

Here is the Source

Gamingclone

Wish they said where they got that info from, I just looked at Nintendo of America's and Japans websites and twitters and they havent mentioned anything about it.

Reggie Fils-Aime Will Be On GTTV Tonight

#218 Posted by Plurpz (94 posts) -

Really excited for Wii U. I'm planning on getting deluxe.

I will get:

New Super Mario Bros U

Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition

Wonderful101

Might Get:

Lego City Undercover

Scribblenauts Unlimited

Pikmin 3

#219 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gamingclone"]

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

Here is the Source

GameboyTroy

Here is what Reggie said on GTTV

- Nintendo is publishing Bayonetta 2 worldwide
- Wii U platform exclusive reconfirmed
- big-name first party titles in development
- Miyamoto and the team at EAD are working on 'fantastic projects'
- Retro is working on a 'fantastic project'
- most likely hear about these projects during E3
- depends on the progress of the games
- we may hear about those projects a little bit earlier/later than E3
- Reggie says 'we're serious about online and driving online'

#220 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

[QUOTE="GameboyTroy"]

[QUOTE="Gamingclone"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

Here is what Reggie said on GTTV

- Nintendo is publishing Bayonetta 2 worldwide
- Wii U platform exclusive reconfirmed
- big-name first party titles in development
- Miyamoto and the team at EAD are working on 'fantastic projects'
- Retro is working on a 'fantastic project'
- most likely hear about these projects during E3
- depends on the progress of the games
- we may hear about those projects a little bit earlier/later than E3
- Reggie says 'we're serious about online and driving online'

That sounds great!

#221 Posted by GamerEye (1670 posts) -

Sounds nice.

I have a feeling that Nintendo will be doing online very differently from Microsoft and Sony, but w/e I'm certain it will be good when all is said and done.

#222 Posted by Sepewrath (28735 posts) -
lol "You'll probably hear about them at E3" "Maybe you wont" "Well you can hear about them at some point before or after E3" Typical Reggie. He really should have been a politician, he has the whole never actually saying anything angle down to a science.
#223 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

lol "You'll probably hear about them at E3" "Maybe you wont" "Well you can hear about them at some point before or after E3" Typical Reggie. He really should have been a politician, he has the whole never actually saying anything angle down to a science. Sepewrath

Reggie for president! He has my vote.

#224 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

I just finished reading over this topic and I didnt see it anywhere... So,

I remember a couple months ago, maybe even almost a year ago, idk lol, there was this Kickstarter Project for this "super hard" platformer game that was being made for the Wii U where all the levels are randomly generated. I dont know if I described it right, but if any of you know what Im talking about, any news on it? Did the game get the support it was asking for?

#225 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8524 posts) -

I remember a couple months ago, maybe even almost a year ago, idk lol, there was this Kickstarter Project for this "super hard" platformer game that was being made for the Wii U where all the levels are randomly generated. I dont know if I described it right, but if any of you know what Im talking about, any news on it? Did the game get the support it was asking for?

Gamingclone
Probably Cloudberry Kingdom http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1564776348/the-hardest-platformer-ever
#226 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Gamingclone

It is Cloudberry Kingdom it will release on the Wii U in November and the levels will adapt to the players skill-level; if they are really good the game gets harder but if they start dying a lot the levels will change to be easier.

#227 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gamingclone"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

It is Cloudberry Kingdom it will release on the Wii U in November and the levels will adapt to the players skill-level; if they are really good the game gets harder but if they start dying a lot the levels will change to be easier.

Oh, that sounds nice :P

#228 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

It is through Hideki Kamiya's Twitter account that we learn that Bayonetta 2 news will come as early as next week, via some Japanese magazines (including/probably Famitsu). The appointment is made and we're hoping to see the first pictures of this exclusive Wii U game.

Gonintendo has that Concept Gran Prix was spotted on Amazon.fr

Link

Three listings, two of which are no-brainers. I'm sure there's no solid info behind either Zelda or Mario Kart, but I'm sure we'll see those franchises hit the Wii U at some point. The real interesting listing is Concept Grand Prix, which is listed as being published by Nintendo. Could this actually tie back into that pre-E3 rumor we posted up?

Lucid Games website They are rumored to be working on Concept Gran Prix which will be published by Nintendo.

#229 Posted by GameboyTroy (2469 posts) -

Well, I'm gone for now until I get internet again. Good luck.

#230 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

ntower's interview with Manfred Linzner of Shin'en

Translated Interview

HW: In advance of the release of the Wii U there were many rumours and discussions about the hardware-power of the console. Now, you have gained some experience with her. How is your personal impression of the power of the console? And do you think that she can withstand the next generation of Microsoft and Sony?

Shinen: The Wii U is currently the strongest console with much potential for the future. We must not forget that the Wii U GPU comes from a different generation than its current competitors. This means new approaches are possible, which, on the one hand, are much easier to implement compared to the special-hybrid solutions, that are currently needed on other consoles, and it provides ultimately much more performance. In combination with the more than generous memory, you have incredibly, many possibilities. Do not forget also that it needs developers, that can exploit the full potential of a console.

#231 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Wish I'd found this thread ages ago.

Great thread, good to see so many others enthusiastic about the Wii U. I am pretty sick of misinformed trolls bashing it unnecessarily. Also good to see some familiar names in here ;)

I have one on pre-order, it comes out here Nov 30th.

Definite - Black Wii U with Nintendo Land, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Zombi U.

Considering - New Super Mario Bros U, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Scribblenauts Unlimited.

Outside the launch windows - The Wonderful 101, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Nano Assault Neo, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, Trine 2, Toki Tori 2, Wii Fit U (I'm a Science Technician at a University in their Exercise Physiology dept. ;) )

#232 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

"Puddle" Coming to the Wii U; Details and Screenshots included

Earlier this year, gamers were able to experience a unique indie title on PSN/XBLA called Puddle, developed by Neko Entertainment. A few months later, Puddle then made its way to the PS Vita and was very wellreceived(read our review), in which I highly recommended those looking for a fresh experience to look into it. Today, Neko Entertainment has announced that they will be releasing Puddle for the Wii U and that the experience has been polished even further.

Puddle will run at full 1080p and 60fps on the Wii U, thanks to very good performances that the developer has gotten out of the console. They also took advantage of the TV/Gamepad feature so if you need to stop playing your game on the TV, you can continue seamlessly through the Wii U Gamepads screen and still retain a 60fps on there. Controls will be handled in three ways: Accelerometer, ZL-ZR trigger buttons, and Left Stick. Basically, these are the same control setups as the PS Vita edition but its great to see them capitalize on the accelerometer as that provides for a very natural and intuitive experience. Lastly, Neko Entertainment hasexamined which particular levels many people used the Whine and Skip feature on and made adjustments to ensure no frustration in simply completing those levels. They want to make the player feel that they always have the chance of completing a level but if you aim for the Gold Medals, its still going to be a solid and rewarding challenge.

Neko Entertainment has been hard at work in preparing their latest edition of Puddle for the launch of the Wii U and based on the enhancements, its certainly sounding like the most polished version yet. Puddle will be downloadable via the Wii U eShop at launch.

#233 Posted by GamerEye (1670 posts) -

"Puddle" Coming to the Wii U; Details and Screenshots included

Earlier this year, gamers were able to experience a unique indie title on PSN/XBLA called Puddle, developed by Neko Entertainment. A few months later, Puddle then made its way to the PS Vita and was very wellreceived(read our review), in which I highly recommended those looking for a fresh experience to look into it. Today, Neko Entertainment has announced that they will be releasing Puddle for the Wii U and that the experience has been polished even further.

Puddle will run at full 1080p and 60fps on the Wii U, thanks to very good performances that the developer has gotten out of the console. They also took advantage of the TV/Gamepad feature so if you need to stop playing your game on the TV, you can continue seamlessly through the Wii U Gamepads screen and still retain a 60fps on there. Controls will be handled in three ways: Accelerometer, ZL-ZR trigger buttons, and Left Stick. Basically, these are the same control setups as the PS Vita edition but its great to see them capitalize on the accelerometer as that provides for a very natural and intuitive experience. Lastly, Neko Entertainment hasexamined which particular levels many people used the Whine and Skip feature on and made adjustments to ensure no frustration in simply completing those levels. They want to make the player feel that they always have the chance of completing a level but if you aim for the Gold Medals, its still going to be a solid and rewarding challenge.

Neko Entertainment has been hard at work in preparing their latest edition of Puddle for the launch of the Wii U and based on the enhancements, its certainly sounding like the most polished version yet. Puddle will be downloadable via the Wii U eShop at launch.

Nintendo_Ownes7

At launch? Cool.

#234 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

This Puddles is a beautiful game.

7.jpg

1.jpg

puddle_wii_u-6.jpg

puddle_003.jpg

Trine 2 is another one I'm likely to grab from the eShop. Never played it on Steam.

#235 Posted by Sepewrath (28735 posts) -
Looks similar to Fluidity.
#236 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

It looks amazing!

#237 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Looks similar to Fluidity. Sepewrath
The first thing I thought of was Fluidity.

#238 Posted by MuppetusG (232 posts) -
I am so excited for the eShop. There aren't many games coming out on it that I am not interested in.
#239 Posted by Classic24 (598 posts) -

I preordered my console back on 9/15/12 at bestbuy but I think they might screw me over. So I went to walmart and put mines on layaway. I am GUARANTEED ONE on launch day!!

WOO HOO

#240 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Interview with Unity's CEO

Wii U will support the Unity platform, and the companys CEO David Helgason has explained to VG247 that the engine will be brought in-house at Nintendo for all of its first-party studios to use, as well as its third-party partners. Helgason has also explained that the deal will give the Unity community free reign to develop titles for Wii U.

Speaking with VG247, Helgason explained how the deal with Nintendo came about, stating that Unity approached them five years earlier as well as Sony but it was not a big enough industry player at the time.

Helgason said, Its actually been a dream of ours to be the default development kit for something you can access if youre just building games for a particular console. I remember we pitched the idea to at last Nintendo, but also Sony maybe five years ago, but of course back then we were a tiny company, and we didnt have a lot of users.

So, it was understandable that they didnt bite back then, Helgason continued, although I think they should have, because the tools were really good back then, but they werent yet proven. We didnt have 1.2 million registered users, or 200,000 monthly users back then we probably had closer to 200.

Our prowess grew very quickly thanks to the explosion of mobile, and that helped us grow our user base and improve our tools. I cant describe the exact steps we took with Nintendo, but we were in touch with them, and in the end they may have even come to us. I cant remember the exact steps.

Unity is undergoing a large push in Japan, bolstered by the hiring of ex-Sega of America CEO Shinobu Toyoda, who proved instrumental in securing a deal with Nintendo.

Helgason recalled, We were over in Japan last year with our really good tech people who are famous in the Japanese industry, such as Shinobu Toyoda, who was the American CEO of Sega. He is very well connected. So we led the charge on this partnership we were excited about it, as were Nintendo.

From then on we negotiated a bunch of stuff, like who would do what and when. I think its interesting because were still working on tools that mean you can take a version of Unity and export it to the Wii U. Its not done yet, but we know its going to get done soon.

Helgason also explained the manner in which Nintendo will use Unity, and revealed that the company plans on rolling the engine out to all of its first and third-party studios to create a standard of cost-effective, powerful development.

Its going well, Helgason explained, and were firing along with the project. Once thats done, two things will happen, and these are separate things, but I think they are connected and they will work really well together.

One thing is that Nintendo will take Unity tools that we give them, and bring it to their big ecosystem of studios. Nintendo has first-party, third-party and all of the other studios that theyve worked with for years, and they know them well.

They trust them because they know how to make awesome games for Nintendo platforms. Historically, none of these companies were using Unity, and they have the same challenges as everybody else cost effective development and all that stuff.

So Nintendo is bringing Unity to these studios so they can build with it. The second thing that will happen is that, we turn around with the same tools and technology were working on, and take them to our community, which is a different one.

Nintendos community is very formidable and respected, theyve been around for a long time. We turn to our community which is new, very energetic of course we have old studios, but there are a lot of young ones too and many of them have built games for consoles before.

But many more have never built console games, or published on any console. What is exciting there is that are many studios out there that make hit games on iOS, Android or Steam, but hopefully many of these studios will be able to bring their games to Wii U, and thats just really exciting.

The deal could cause the range of Wii U titles to explode, particularly because major mobile players such as Rovio will be given free reign to develop titles for Nintendos format. Helgason shares the sentiment.

If the Wii U is and we hope it will be a big success, then that will be a big deal for a lot of those developers.

#241 Posted by GamerEye (1670 posts) -

Interview with Unity's CEO

Wii U will support the Unity platform, and the companys CEO David Helgason has explained to VG247 that the engine will be brought in-house at Nintendo for all of its first-party studios to use, as well as its third-party partners. Helgason has also explained that the deal will give the Unity community free reign to develop titles for Wii U.

Speaking with VG247, Helgason explained how the deal with Nintendo came about, stating that Unity approached them five years earlier as well as Sony but it was not a big enough industry player at the time.

Helgason said, Its actually been a dream of ours to be the default development kit for something you can access if youre just building games for a particular console. I remember we pitched the idea to at last Nintendo, but also Sony maybe five years ago, but of course back then we were a tiny company, and we didnt have a lot of users.

So, it was understandable that they didnt bite back then, Helgason continued, although I think they should have, because the tools were really good back then, but they werent yet proven. We didnt have 1.2 million registered users, or 200,000 monthly users back then we probably had closer to 200.

Our prowess grew very quickly thanks to the explosion of mobile, and that helped us grow our user base and improve our tools. I cant describe the exact steps we took with Nintendo, but we were in touch with them, and in the end they may have even come to us. I cant remember the exact steps.

Unity is undergoing a large push in Japan, bolstered by the hiring of ex-Sega of America CEO Shinobu Toyoda, who proved instrumental in securing a deal with Nintendo.

Helgason recalled, We were over in Japan last year with our really good tech people who are famous in the Japanese industry, such as Shinobu Toyoda, who was the American CEO of Sega. He is very well connected. So we led the charge on this partnership we were excited about it, as were Nintendo.

From then on we negotiated a bunch of stuff, like who would do what and when. I think its interesting because were still working on tools that mean you can take a version of Unity and export it to the Wii U. Its not done yet, but we know its going to get done soon.

Helgason also explained the manner in which Nintendo will use Unity, and revealed that the company plans on rolling the engine out to all of its first and third-party studios to create a standard of cost-effective, powerful development.

Its going well, Helgason explained, and were firing along with the project. Once thats done, two things will happen, and these are separate things, but I think they are connected and they will work really well together.

One thing is that Nintendo will take Unity tools that we give them, and bring it to their big ecosystem of studios. Nintendo has first-party, third-party and all of the other studios that theyve worked with for years, and they know them well.

They trust them because they know how to make awesome games for Nintendo platforms. Historically, none of these companies were using Unity, and they have the same challenges as everybody else cost effective development and all that stuff.

So Nintendo is bringing Unity to these studios so they can build with it. The second thing that will happen is that, we turn around with the same tools and technology were working on, and take them to our community, which is a different one.

Nintendos community is very formidable and respected, theyve been around for a long time. We turn to our community which is new, very energetic of course we have old studios, but there are a lot of young ones too and many of them have built games for consoles before.

But many more have never built console games, or published on any console. What is exciting there is that are many studios out there that make hit games on iOS, Android or Steam, but hopefully many of these studios will be able to bring their games to Wii U, and thats just really exciting.

The deal could cause the range of Wii U titles to explode, particularly because major mobile players such as Rovio will be given free reign to develop titles for Nintendos format. Helgason shares the sentiment.

If the Wii U is and we hope it will be a big success, then that will be a big deal for a lot of those developers.

Nintendo_Ownes7

Sounds nice, but can someone give an example of one of the best games made with "Unity"?

#242 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Sounds nice, but can someone give an example of one of the best games made with "Unity"?

GamerEye

Here is a list of some games that use Unity

Project Eternity
Endless Space
Wasteland 2
Bad Piggies
Max & the Magic Marker
Castle Story
Republique
Escape Plan
MechWarrior Tactics
Metal Gear Solid Social Ops
City of Steam
Among the Sleep
The Room
Pid
GardenQuest
Kerbal Space Program
Slender: The Eight Pages
Family Guy Online
Rochard
Battlestar Galactica Online
Game of Thrones Seven Kingdoms
Ravensword 2
HAROLD
Offensive Combat
Shadowgun
Dead Trigger
F1 Online
Air Mail
Triple Town
Jack Lumber
Prime World
Orcs Vengeance
Oliver & Spike: Dimension Jumpers
Shadowrun Online
Guns of Icarus Online
So Many Me
Onimusha Souls
Brick-Force

#243 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

Sounds very nice :D

#244 Posted by GamerEye (1670 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamerEye"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

Here is a list of some games that use Unity

Project Eternity
Endless Space
Wasteland 2
Bad Piggies
Max & the Magic Marker
Castle Story
Republique
Escape Plan
MechWarrior Tactics
Metal Gear Solid Social Ops
City of Steam
Among the Sleep
The Room
Pid
GardenQuest
Kerbal Space Program
Slender: The Eight Pages
Family Guy Online
Rochard
Battlestar Galactica Online
Game of Thrones Seven Kingdoms
Ravensword 2
HAROLD
Offensive Combat
Shadowgun
Dead Trigger
F1 Online
Air Mail
Triple Town
Jack Lumber
Prime World
Orcs Vengeance
Oliver & Spike: Dimension Jumpers
Shadowrun Online
Guns of Icarus Online
So Many Me
Onimusha Souls
Brick-Force

Ah, thanks.

I've only heard of a few of them :P

#245 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Reggie: "Certainly Possible" Wii U Consoles could be sold by cable providers

Link to full interview with Seattle Times

Nintendo of America president hints on the future of Wii U

In an interview with the Seattle Times, Nintendo of America President Reggie-Fils Aime left open the possibility of selling Wii U consoles through cable providers.

While this might seem pretty far-fetched, it's well-known that Nintendo is hoping for big things from its Nintendo TVii service, which aims to combine Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu Plus, and TiVo all into one centralized service. And although Reggie asserts that Nintendo is a game company first and foremost, the interview touched upon the possibility of selling Wii U consoles through cable TV providers.

Seattle Times: Will you sell this system through Comcast or other TV partners?

Reggie: It's certainly possible.

Seattle Times: Why didn't you just buy TiVo and go the whole DVR route?

Reggie: That's not what we do.

This strategy, which provides a service or product for a subsidized cost by requiring owners to sign contracts, is nothing new of course. Apple has been very successful with their line of phones, which they provide for a fraction of the price if you sign a two-year contract. Granted, we haven't seen Nintendo do anything like this before, but gaming stalwart Microsoft provided a similar service with their Xbox 360, which was sold at a heavily discounted price in return for subscribing to multiple years of their Xbox Live Gold service.

#246 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

Ah very interesting, personally I wouldnt buy mine through a cable provider since I have very little interest in TV.

#247 Posted by GameboyTroy (2469 posts) -
Did I miss anything? The connection I'm using is not mine. I can't post any links from my 3DS.
#248 Posted by DealRogers (4569 posts) -

So, is the Wii VC confirmed for WiiU?

#249 Posted by Gamingclone (5224 posts) -

DealRogers

Do you mean being able to download Wii Retail games as "virtural console" titles? or do you mean the VC that you could download on the Wii? If you mean the VC on the Wii, then yes. All Wii games, VC and Wii-ware games and maybe apps (though I would imagine that the Wii U will have better versons of those apps), controllers and accessories will work with the Wii U.

#250 Posted by GamerEye (1670 posts) -

DealRogers

Similar to 3DS eShop (All DSiware), in the Wii U eShop you will have acsess to all of the Wii VC and Wiiware I belive. You can also transfer your VC and Wiiware titles from the Wii to the WiiU.