Wii U a great console, with or without sales

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts

Its no secret that the Wii-U sales have been poor, however I have never been more excited for the console. I'm not sure if the Wii U will be saved by games released in Q3 and Q4 this year, but I'm gonna have a great time with my console regardless how well it does. For a number of reasons below, I will tell you why Wii-U owners should be thankful.

1. More third party support

I know what you're thinking. What? The Wii-U is heavily lacking third parties. Look at all the games that are not going to make it on the console. Well yes that is true. The Wii-U lacks third parties compared to PS4 and Xbox One, but compared to the Wii, the Wii-U has already gotten several games that would have no chance on making it on the Wii. We have already seen several games that would have had no chance of making it on the Wii. Injustice, Batman Arkham City and Assasins Creed. All of these games are great. Look at the future, Assasins Creed Black Flag, Watch Dogs, Batman Arkham Origins, Spinter Cell Blacklist, Rayman Legends and Call of Duty Ghosts are all both big third party franchises, that we really never saw much of on the Wii. The reason people haven't bought a Wii-U yet isn't necessarily the lack of third party support because lets face it, although we are gonna miss some key multiplatform games like Battlefield and the next Mass Effect, the situation so far isn't nearly as bad as the Wii's situation. In fact if EA didn't hold some grudge against Nintendo the Wii-U would pretty much get every big third party franchise. We already know Crysis 3 was already up and running on Wii-U and was planned to release, but EA cancelled it. Anyways the Wii did greart with barely any third party support outside of maybe some sports games that weren't near the quality of their HD counterparts, and Call of Duty which missed several key features of console counterparts. Its just the killer first party games that made the Wii so successful right from the start like Zelda, Mario and Metroid aren't released yet, but don't worry they are coming soon. Yes the DLC situation for Call of Duty is a bit crummy, but the game disc with all its features of console counterparts released on a Nintendo console, that hasn't been done before. Injustice is a great fighting game, and we even got most of the DLC for it which is pretty sweet to be honest. Yes we are missing a couple dlc characters, but I can't complain, its a brand new console, and Nintendo's online infrastructure is still being worked on for things like DLC. It may be settling for mediocrity, but honestly this much third party support on the Wii would have been incredible, lets just hope it carries on in the future.

2. Loaded Q3 and Q4

Nintendo is trying to save the Wii-U in a similar way they saved the 3DS. We already got Pikmin 3 in August, which is a fantastic game. First in September we get a Wind Waker remake in full HD, which is a must buy for almost any Zelda fan and the first HD Zelda ever created, and also the Wonderful 101, which is by no means a system seller, but great for anyone who owns a Wii-U. Next we get Retro's Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze, a sequel to the Wii smash hit Donkey Kong Country Returns, and a guranteed worthy purchase to anyone who likes DK or 2D platforming for that matter. After that Nintendo finishes with what is probably it biggest game this year, Super Mario 3D World, which although isn't exactly what everyone wanted, but expect a great game nonetheless being the first 3D Mario platformer with 4 player co-op. It looks heavily based of Super Mario 3D Land which was one of the main reasons the 3DS was saved, and that is truly a masterpiece. After that we should see both Super Smash Bros. U and Mario Kart 8, some of the top selling games on the Wii, and two of Nintendo's great franchises. Nintendo's first party releases a lone are a gift to any Nintendo fan who owns a Wii-U. I don't know if it can convince the casual gamer to buy a Wii-U right now, but I am extremely excited. Also as mentioned above, the Wii-U will have a lot of multiplatform games releasing as well. Splinter Cell Blacklist is released tomorrow, Rayman Legends releases early September, Batman Arkham Origins releases early October, followed by Assasins Creed Black Flag, and November releases for Call of Duty Ghost and Watch Dogs. Its a great lineup in the very near future. Will it be enough for Nintendo to get out of the hole they dug up? Maybe not, but I'm gonna have a fantastic 9 months.

3. Wii-U is definitely powerful enough

Part of the reason why the Wii missed a lot of titles is because it couldn't run many current gen engines. Outside of the COD4 engine, it really struggled. With the Wii-U, we already know it is able to runs Ubisoft's next gen engine, the next gen COD engine, Crytek 3 Engine, Frosbite 3 engine and Unreal Engine 4. Engines are more optimizable now then the days of the Wii, and its easier to port games. Developers have made engine easy to optimize so they can port to a greater variety of platforms. This is why we see next gen games running next gen engines like Watch Dogs and Assasins Creed Black Flag still being made for current gen consoles like the 360 and PS3. The Wii-U is clearly more powerful than the 360 and PS3. Yes there were framerate issues for some games at launch, but like Nintendo and many other developers say, it takes time to get use to developing for a console. You think the Xbox 360 and PS3 could run games like Mass Effect 3 at launch? No way. The developers barely know how to develop for it, and its already running the very best looking games of the generation and running next gen engines. If you look at Xbox 360 launch games, I couldn't say there was a gigantic leap in graphics outside of the upgraded resolution. Like Perfect Dark Zero, Amped 3 and King Kong didn't look that much better than original Xbox games. Of course eventually the 360 started pumping games like GTA IV and Gears of War, which are not nearly as good looking as current 360 games, but the point is that it takes time. Developers have been claiming the Wii-U is very powerful, it just uses a different design than current consoles, and developers (Nintendo included) have to get use to it. Think about it, if the Xbox 360 which is designed very similar to a PC took aout a year for developers to truly get used to, it should take just as long for a newly designed Nintendo console. Expect some beautiful games on the console. Super Smash Bros Wii U and Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD runs at a native 1080p 60 FPS. Donkey Kong Country Returns, Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart 8 are apparently running in native 1080p and 60 FPS as well. To give you some perspective, games that ran at 60 FPS like Call of Duty on the Xbox 360 ran at sub 720p resolutions. Almost no games other than simple games like Rayman origins could run at 1080p. The fact that Super Smash Bros. U looks as detailed as it is and runs 1080p and 60 FPS is very impressive. It looks a lot better than Playstation All Stars, and runs at native 1080p. Also Nintendo said themselves the only reason their games weren't native 1080p at launch was due to time constraints. Expect native 1080p and 60 FPS games from Nintendo from now on. If that is what the Wii-U does from now on, I'll be very content.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

While I think it's great that you're enjoying the Wii U and is looking forward to what's ahead, I'm not buying what you're selling here. And ironically, sales actually have something to do with this...

1. What "third party support?"

Nintendo and the Wii U honestly wishes it had its predecessors third party support right now. Forget about what the Wii didn't get in terms of multiplats and consider what it DID get. Even in its first year, the Wii had the likes of Zack&Wiki, Red Steel, and Sonic, along with Wii Remote versions of games like Resident Evil 4 and Okami and a number of experimental titles, something most third party publishers won't dare try with now with the Wii U because it's struggling and can't seem to prove its relevance. And yes, the fact that EA and Take-Two, among other publishers have actually dropped their support for the Wii U this early is something else that keeps it at arms length from where the Wii was. And frankly, I don't see it getting much better. I suspect that the Wii U isn't going to get the same support from the mid-level and smaller publishers, either, meaning that the oft-overlooked gems that helped shape the Wii's library will be nowhere to be found on the Wii U.

All the Wii U has accomplished was get a number of multiplats and a handful of "enhanced ports" of 3DS and Wii games. That's not worth celebrating, especially when most of those games have bombed commercially. Even the rare exclusives, like Zombi U and Rayman Legends, have either been suggested to not be profittable or have become multiplatform games. I daresay the Wii U has made the worst case for a healthy platform for third party publishers since the N64, and it's borderline insulting to compare it to the Wii at this point, which not only saw some resemblence of legitimate support across the board, but actually had successful third party games.

2. I'll give you this much. Nintendo's second half of 2013 for the Wii U does look better than the first half, but what exactly is that saying, really? When a brand new system goes 7 months without anything close to a major release (no, Lego City and Monster Hunter 3 don't count), one shouldn't be jumping for joy when a few relevant titles actually show up. It honestly makes the GameCube's latter years look normal, by comparison. And frankly, only one of the currently-released/upcoming Wii U titles has even a decent chance of making much noise, and it happens to be the last significant release for the system this year in Super Mario 3D World. Outside of that game, which many have perceived to be lackluster at this point, you have a couple of blips on the radar in Pikmin and Wonderful 101, a remastered GCN game, a couple of 2D platformers that are likely to struggle compared to a 2D platfomer released in a more popular franchise last year, Sonic (which you didn't mention, despite being the most notable game outside of Mario), and a few more multiplats that will likely bomb at the end of the day and discourage third party publishers even more.

This year is still going to be a struggle for the Wii U, I suspect, and it's going to only make it that much tougher for Smash Bros. and Mario Kart to revive the system next year.

3. The power thing again... Zzz... It bores me, but I'll bite anyway.

If you honestly still believe that the Wii U's horsepower is going to make that much of a positive impact, despite the fact that publishers are already jumping ship and a number of PS3/Xbox 360 games have avoided the system, I just don't know what else to tell you. The only publisher/developer this whole topic really relates to at this point is Nintendo itself, and even they are releasing games that have made me wonder why they've stressed HD graphics so much. I'm sure the whole 1080P/60 FPS thing you're stressing has some importance somewhere, but in the big picture, all it really does is say that the Wii U manages to do what 7 and 8-year old system do a little better, which isn't worth bragging about when they also have successors approaching.

So, umm, hooray for playing games I can experience on pre-existing systems the exact same way, just a bit sharper... for about a few more months? Because until Nintendo can actually make this system stand out in ways outside of sheer horsepower, there's really no other selling poing for the Wii U, outside of Nintendo's uninspiring and inconsistent first party offerings. And I say these things as a Nintendo fan at heart still, but there's little reason for me to have a great deal of faith in the Wii U concept at this point. It all just feels like one major train-wreck that Nintendo created and is now scrambling to fix, and it's the fundamental problems I see with the console that are much more important than what engines the hardware are able to run, assuming the system will get the games in the first place.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#3 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

I'm not buying into this at all, man.  You come off like an over-eager salesman.

1.  The Wii had better 3rd party support than the WiiU does because it was significantly cheaper to develop for so a lot of devs took creative risks that really made for some fun games.  The WiiU is hoping instead to catch some of the titles from Sony and MS's systems and it's made for a far less interesting library of titles.

2. The loaded line-up is based on exclusives not multiplats.  Nintendo's line-up of exclusive titles remains tepid at the moment.  The system needs a killer app and that could be anything from a new IP, Monolith's new RPG, a new Zelda (not a remake of Wind Waker), a new Mario title or a new Metroid title that's as good as the last truly great one (hint: 2002 and 2004 remain the only good 3D Metroid titles, the Wii entries were lame).

3.  The WiiU is underpowered.  Compared to the PS4, XB One, and of course modern PCs which stomp all over each of the new consoles, the WiiU is the least powerful.  It does what 360 and PS3 have been doing since 2005.  I'm don't freak out about the hardware, it's irrelevant to me, but it's plain to see that it's underpowered.

As of right now the WiiU is not a system I need to own.  None of the titles interest me to the point of wanting to purchase the system.  Give me Monolith's new RPG.  Give me a new Zelda title, not one that I've had since 2003 and could replay on my Wii whenever I wanted.  Give me a new 3D Mario title that can push the envelope for the entire genre like Galaxy 1 and 2 did.  Give me a new Super Smash Bros. game.  Give me the goods.  Wonderful 101 and Wind Waker remake are nice but not full price and new system nice.

Regardless, all the waiting around for a solid line-up will hopefully lead to a price drop before I commit to it.

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Madmangamer364

*insert compelling reply here*

NeonNinja

Way to address many of the same points I made, but in a much more streamline and eloquent fashion. Seriously, kudos. :P

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#5 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

*insert compelling reply here*

Madmangamer364

Way to address many of the same points I made, but in a much more streamline and eloquent fashion. Seriously, kudos. :P

Thank you! :D

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Wii U a great console, with or without salesFPS1337
...if you say so :? For me at least, there is not one game out or coming out that I am interested in, and that is how I define a 'good' console (by the games). It is good that you are happy with your purchase. Though I do wonder how many people are 'happy' with their purchase due in large part to psychological reactions/resolutions to cognitive dissonance.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

it will be great once Nintendo release a *proper* Mario game (not lazy cat mario 3d land) Galaxy made me go WOW!, cat mario made me go WTF??? & a *proper* Zelda game (not remake) for the Wii U.  :P

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
This thread is screaming for Jaysonguy :lol: I do like my WiiU alot but I do wish it had more support
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#9 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
This thread is screaming for Jaysonguy :lol: I do like my WiiU alot but I do wish it had more supportnini200
Jasontroll? seriously? I prefer to share with the TC as I also enjoy my Wii U, after all, is just an opinion and none have to buy in nor anything else. All in all, I enjoy this guy taking the time to see all the good points and share with us all. It is a good topic to discuss, but I don't think it intends to change anyone's mind, as it is already in the Wii U forum, no in System Wars or anything else. Again, for TC, thanks for sharing, I hope to see you online as I'm also happy with my purchase :)
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

The Wii U is a good console, but nowhere near great. It still lacks a lot of features the PS3 and 360 have had forever.

It needs:

1. Party Chat. PS3 doesn't have it, but the Vita does. I have no idea why this isn't on the Wii U.

2. Eshop purchases tied to a global Nintendo Network account. Another inexcusable misfire.

3. GAMES. The system needs more games. I don't care about sales as long as there are games I want to play.

4. The whole friend system needs an overhaul. It's kind of a pain to use as it is.

I will not consider it a great console until these things are done. Numbers 2, 3, and 4 can be achieved in the near future, but I feel like Nintendo is too stubborn to incorporate party chat. I hope they prove me wrong though.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nini200
[QUOTE="nini200"]This thread is screaming for Jaysonguy :lol: I do like my WiiU alot but I do wish it had more supportenrique_marrodz
Jasontroll? seriously? I prefer to share with the TC as I also enjoy my Wii U, after all, is just an opinion and none have to buy in nor anything else. All in all, I enjoy this guy taking the time to see all the good points and share with us all. It is a good topic to discuss, but I don't think it intends to change anyone's mind, as it is already in the Wii U forum, no in System Wars or anything else. Again, for TC, thanks for sharing, I hope to see you online as I'm also happy with my purchase :)

Yea this thread is good and it has good points which is why it screams for Jaysonguy to come in and try to defile it lol I'd love to see how he would react to some of these threads :lol:
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts
well i will be getting a wiiu once project X is out. nothing i can do to stop that. has to be done :D. but the hardware is deeply flawed (designed to nintendos, and only nintendos requirements it seems). i wont go in to why as it would be just a long rant (note: its not a horsepower thing). nintendo themselves also dont seem to know what to do with the controller. with the wii they knew exactly what they were going to do with the wiimote. some may not like it but they knew what they were doing. so the wiiu still does not have its killer app. i like the idea of the controller but the more time passes the more i wonder if nintendo just plonked it in because tablets are popular. hopefully ninty prove me wrong some day on that front. but its all moot since, as i say, i will get one when X is out. i will also pick up, at a minimum, pikmin 3 and wonderful 101. they look great. hopefully there will be a few more games to pick up by then also.
mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

Good Sir. I would love to give you a full paragraph discussing what you have said above, but alas, you are 100% right about everything you said there, as I have tried to spread the truth as well. I will say though, you're especially correct about how developers need time to work with the system to produce better looking games ie. Oblivion---->Skyrim. And for the system to at launch produce on-par and usually superior graphics than the PS3 and Xbox 360 counterparts, I must say this is quite the system for it to go unrecognized...

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#14 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts

2. Eshop purchases tied to a global Nintendo Network account. Another inexcusable misfire.

Toxic-Seahorse
This one is the most important to me. I'm buying all digital and I can't get a second console for my room because I would need to rebuy ALL games -.-
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FPS1337
[QUOTE="enrique_marrodz"][QUOTE="nini200"]This thread is screaming for Jaysonguy :lol: I do like my WiiU alot but I do wish it had more supportnini200

Yea this thread is good and it has good points which is why it screams for Jaysonguy to come in and try to defile it lol I'd love to see how he would react to some of these threads :lol:

I appreciate it both of your thanks. I would have liked to write some more on the issue, but I felt most people wouldn't be interested enough to read for that long, and also I was getting tired when I wrote this. Like I've mentioned in the article, I feel that the Wii-U has some fantastic exclusive games coming out and is getting more third party support than the Wii. Don't know if Nintendo can get it to sell well, but I have never owned a Nintendo console I didn't enjoy, and I love my Wii-U so far. Can't wait for the next 6 months. I hope it does sell well because I really love Nintendo as a company and they truly are the last "true" gaming company. They are the only company that is purely gaming and are a gigantic company that solely relies on gaming as their main source of business. Future is bright for Wii-U owners, even if others may not understand.
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

I think its a great console in concept.

It has set the platform to be a great device. I really like the gamepad. Especially for local multiplayer, where each person has a different experience, its a lot of fun and there isn't much else like it.

And while it is weak in comparison to the next gen games, I really have yet to see anything from next gen that makes the WiiU look bad. Its not like last generation where the Wii's visuals were almost unbearable after a few months.

The interface is great. Miiverse is awesome. The browser is a 10/10, I watch anime on it every day. The online has great potential

IT JUST.. NEEDS .. GAMES. Games, that feel NEW with big ambition. The fact that Retro and the Galaxy team are making 3D Land and DKR2 instead of Metriod Prime 4 and Galaxy 3 is massively disapointing. The fact that brawl is still way of is just ridiculous. Nintendo should have told Sakurai to make that Kid Icarus game later, WiiU needed Smash Bros at/near launch. And it needs more RPG in depth games. They can't keep cheaping out with these games that you wait all year for and you can beat it in a weekend and not giving them any multiplayer etc. Make some RPGs, Make a new Earthbound, Super Mario RPG (not paper mario) etc, and some games that have legit online services and NOT just mario kart which for some incredibly odd reason seems to be the only series Nintendo really even tries when it comes to online.

WiiU can be an amazing console if Nintendo just puts in the effort and realize what their fans actually want

euro96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 euro96
Member since 2005 • 499 Posts

I feel like Nintendo broke a promise really. The problems with the Wii were poor third party support and a lack of robust online games. Nintendo said it was aware of these and the Wii U would not suffer from the same problems, but it has. I can't believe people on here still say things like 'it's only the first year' It's 2013, things like online gaming should now be a staple. Nintendo just doesn't seem to have a clue about the market anymore. 

You really can't say the third party support is good, even compared to the Wii. I mean when EA isn't even bothering to bring out FIFA on the Wii U because it's not worth it, speaks volumes. It doesn't matter if the console is powerful enough for developers to port, they will only do it if it's financially viable, which is clearly isn't for a lot of games. It's a catch 22, the Wii U has poor sales because of a lack of games, and there is a lack of games because of the poor sales.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Well a console is never great near launch. It will become great, I'm sure. To ensure this, or to become great sooner, is to unify the 3DS and Wii U with a Nintendo Network account, with ease of access to a large VC library. If they don't do this, then they can become great after a few years to get a strong library.

For now though, it's a good system with a promising future :) (despite what the sales are).

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

People wonder why Nintendo fans are the most hated in the gaming world and this is why.

No, the Wii U is not a great console, holy *(@#*@# it's barely a console as it stands, know why?

When you think about consoles know what you also take as a given UNTIL the Wii U?

GAMES!

So let's see what the topic creator is good for the Wii U

LACK OF THIRD PARTY SUPPORT

So we have EA that refuses to put anything out on the console. We have Ubisoft that was going to support the Wii U until they saw the finalized console and now all it's exclusive titles are now going to all consoles along with additional content.

Oh yeah and some games from third party don't even have all the pieces, want online play? Well then you wont want the Wii U version

WEAK LINEUP FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR

There's no must have software for the Wii U unless you think that Wii Fit U is going to release this year, besides that the offerings from first party are barren. Donkey Kong is the same IP that failed to move on the Wii's 80 million consoles and Nintendo already tried a Mario game for the Wii U and that was met with droves of people leaving it on the shelf

Third party people can choose Rayman (which was a Wii U exclusive and then has become a multiplat with more content elsewhere), Batman (if you want online you need to go somewhere else), and Watchdogs (which will be a stripped down version of the other versions)

THE POWER GAP WILL ONLY WIDEN

Batman is missing online, Watchdogs has very noticeable downgrade in visual fidelity. Things are going to get harder from this point forward

Holy crap, I bought 2 Wii U's at launch and know what? I can't even switch a profile back and forth between them!

But for some reason the topic creator sees that as one of my many attractive things about the console!

Also anyone that starts a conversation with "well next year the Wii U has" shows they spent too much time watching Nintendo direct and they actually APPROVE of what Nintendo is doing.

The Wii U set the record for the longest amount of time with no games, what does Nintendo do to rectify that? They tell you that a Zelda game is on the way and will release in 2015.

The Wii U isn't a great console, at the very best it's a work in progress

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#20 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

I'm calling out the first point.

Wii games 2007 > Wii U games 2014

Look at the 2007 wii games. 

Remember the Big 3? Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and smash Bros Brawl which that and No more heroes were supposed to be 2007 but delayed to 2008? Wii U has hardly any 3rd party exclusives all at freekin all compared to the Wii's in 2007!

The Wii U is getting 3rd party support from ports in 2013 no more than the Wii got Ps2 ports from 2007. The Wii actually got Madden and Fifa and PGA Tour and later would get nba. Do you see the Wii U getting those in the future? No! Sports games are dead for Wii U. Dead!

There aren't any gaping holes from 2007 either. Wii games were very consistent that year while Wii U had a big gaping hole in the first half of this year.

3rd party developers are giving more support for Wii U than wii? Flip no!

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
The Wii U is a great system, with or without third party support.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FPS1337

People wonder why Nintendo fans are the most hated in the gaming world and this is why.

No, the Wii U is not a great console, holy *(@#*@# it's barely a console as it stands, know why?

When you think about consoles know what you also take as a given UNTIL the Wii U?

GAMES!

So we have EA that refuses to put anything out on the console. We have Ubisoft that was going to support the Wii U until they saw the finalized console and now all it's exclusive titles are now going to all consoles along with additional content.

Oh yeah and some games from third party don't even have all the pieces, want online play? Well then you wont want the Wii U version

There's no must have software for the Wii U unless you think that Wii Fit U is going to release this year, besides that the offerings from first party are barren. Donkey Kong is the same IP that failed to move on the Wii's 80 million consoles and Nintendo already tried a Mario game for the Wii U and that was met with droves of people leaving it on the shelf

Third party people can choose Rayman (which was a Wii U exclusive and then has become a multiplat with more content elsewhere), Batman (if you want online you need to go somewhere else), and Watchdogs (which will be a stripped down version of the other versions)

Batman is missing online, Watchdogs has very noticeable downgrade in visual fidelity. Things are going to get harder from this point forward

Holy crap, I bought 2 Wii U's at launch and know what? I can't even switch a profile back and forth between them!

But for some reason the topic creator sees that as one of my many attractive things about the console!

Also anyone that starts a conversation with "well next year the Wii U has" shows they spent too much time watching Nintendo direct and they actually APPROVE of what Nintendo is doing.

The Wii U set the record for the longest amount of time with no games, what does Nintendo do to rectify that? They tell you that a Zelda game is on the way and will release in 2015.

Jaysonguy
I predicted that you would arrived 1. BETTER third party support than the past Like I said, Wii U third party support is not good compared to next gen consoles, but its better than Wii's third party support, so people can't complain too much. The Wii turned out to be a fantastic console with really 0 third party support. 2. Weak Lineup? Please just no Super Mario 3D world isn't even close to the same as New Super Mario Bros. U, and 2/3 of Wii-U owners have bought new Super Mario Bros. U. It has great sales considering the Wii-U is struggling. Donkey Kong Country Returns was fantastic, a sequel will be fantastic. Zelda remake is gonna be a must have for Nintendo and Zelda fans, and like I said Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart are right around the corner. 3. Power gap isn't obvious It was clear right from launch with the Wii the power gap was fairly obvious, however Wii-U not so much. No next gen game look that incredible, and Wii-U is already about to running games in 1080p 60 FPS, something that really couldn't be done last gen unless the game was like Rayman Origins. Batman missing online has literally nothing to do with the power, and no Watchdogs Wii U footage has be shown yet. The one at the Nintendo Direct was Watch Dogs for Xbox One lol, shows that you are here purely to troll. Watch Dogs Wii-U was developed alongside next gen versions, and was up and running on the Wii-U very quickly. I don't see how it will be stripped down as really no Wii-U games have been really stripped down. Arkham Origins is missing online, Ghost Warrior and Splinter Cell are missing a local co-op mode, but that's about it. Every other game has pretty much everything the other consoles have, minus DLC for some games.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nini200
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

GAMES!

FPS1337
I predicted that you would arrived 1. BETTER third party support than the past Like I said, Wii U third party support is not good compared to next gen consoles, but its better than Wii's third party support, so people can't complain too much. The Wii turned out to be a fantastic console with really 0 third party support. 2. Weak Lineup? Please just no Super Mario 3D world isn't even close to the same as New Super Mario Bros. U, and 2/3 of Wii-U owners have bought new Super Mario Bros. U. It has great sales considering the Wii-U is struggling. Donkey Kong Country Returns was fantastic, a sequel will be fantastic. Zelda remake is gonna be a must have for Nintendo and Zelda fans, and like I said Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart are right around the corner. 3. Power gap isn't obvious It was clear right from launch with the Wii the power gap was fairly obvious, however Wii-U not so much. No next gen game look that incredible, and Wii-U is already about to running games in 1080p 60 FPS, something that really couldn't be done last gen unless the game was like Rayman Origins. Batman missing online has literally nothing to do with the power, and no Watchdogs Wii U footage has be shown yet. The one at the Nintendo Direct was Watch Dogs for Xbox One lol, shows that you are here purely to troll. Watch Dogs Wii-U was developed alongside next gen versions, and was up and running on the Wii-U very quickly. I don't see how it will be stripped down as really no Wii-U games have been really stripped down. Arkham Origins is missing online, Ghost Warrior and Splinter Cell are missing a local co-op mode, but that's about it. Every other game has pretty much everything the other consoles have, minus DLC for some games.

LOL This is what I knew was going to happen when I first saw this thread. :lol:
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 superbuuman

Jaysonguy

Kinda agree with this line...working progress. :P

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

GAMES!

FPS1337

I disagree with you both. The Wii U, in its current state, is neither a good or bad console. The problem with this entire argument, and every counter-argument following, is that Nintendo is an infuriatingly inward-looking company that only caters to itself and expects the rest of the industry to work around its guidelines and shortcomings to put games on its consoles.

The Wii U is a powerful console for Nintendo, or to better explain myself, it's exactly powerful enough for Nintendo to make the games they want to make. Claiming it's as powerful or even less powerful than current generation consoles is a dumbfounded argument. Technology's advanced so quickly over the last decade that it would almost impossible to not make a console that trumps the current generation hardware. After extensive sleuthing, the Wii U's running something akin to a 4000/5000 Radeon graphics card (by comparison the xbox 360 and ps3 are running in the ballpark of 7800 GTX cards, the nvidia comparison for a 4000 series is a 200 series nvidia card.)

I'm not going to make any assumptions in the graphics department until I see the holiday wave of games running on Wii U. Plenty of people have argued the Wii U is underpowered because it runs certain 360 ports worse than the actual 360 versions of multi-platform games. For those who are unaware of how game development works, a more powerful console doesn't automatically garauntee better performace. More power is an opportunity to make games run more efficiently with higher graphic fidelity, but when the smallest audience is on that system, developers aren't going to spend an outlandish amount of money to create a better looking game for a few hundred thousand people.

So, as always, the conversation always comes down to first party content. Jaysonguy, you just hate everything. I've stopped worrying about your opinions, but as for everyone else, Nintendo's safe play for the holidays is going to get butts in seats. The Wii U lineup is an identical follow up to the last year or so of the 3DS. 3DS owners played Mario 3D Land, Donkey Kong Country, etc... Mario 3D World's a Mario they understand, and when there's 3 million Wii U's out there, that's exactly the market the Wii U needs.

I'm very curious to see Watch Dogs running on Wii U compared to both ps3/360 and ps4/xbox one. If I was to hedge my bets, I would guess graphically it's going to find a median between the two generations. Open world games suck up a lot of ram, and having 1 GB compared to 528 mb and 256 mb (or whatever the hell those systems have) is going to open up some opportunities to fill up that city.

Again, I don't think there's a correct answer on any extreme. It's not a bad console and it's not a good console. It's a console with potential that has a handful of fun games and very much needs some more. But here's the mentality I've inhabited over the last half year that we haven't gotten any games to play: We all bought this f*cking thing, we might as well get on board with the hurry up and wait game. Sure, I'd love to have a big shelf full of Wii U games, but I don't. Boo hoo. Life goes on, and Nintendo games will come. They'll all be fun, no matter what people's opinions of the direction Nintendo's taking. I wanted a big, revolutionary Mario game, but I didn't get it. So, I'll play 3D World and I'm sure it'll be awesome.

I'm sure I've strayed so far off topic it's confounding, but it's nearing 3 am and I've had a few bottles of wine. The general thesis of what I'm trying to say is: We're dealt the cards and there's nothing we can do about it. Everything we wanted the Wii U to be isn't going to affect the console it is. I've been a diehard Nintendo fan since I started playing games, and I've come to accept that Nintendo's going to completely disregard everything the industry's doing. The company's going to ignore our requests, and it's going to make us wait for games because they still assemble ten person teams for the first two years of development like it's the SNES era. They're not going to change their ways, so why bother expecting them to and complain when they don't?

I find the gaming community rather infuriating in the sense that when company's announce new consoles, they always promise they're going to fix the problems from the previous console, and they never do. Nintendo's not the only company who does this. When they boasted all this third-party interest in 2011, I knew immediately it wasn't going to materialize into anything.

I'm going to call it right now: All these Xbox One exclusives are going to disappear after year one. Sunset Over-whatever isn't going to move 5 million units, and the Xbox is going to turn into a Halo/Gears/Forza console.

I hate using cliches, but I'm going to use one now: Tigers don't change their stripes.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

GAMES!

FPS1337

1. Better line up?

WTH?

Last time I checked EA made games for the Wii

So a better lineup means that the Wii U doesn't get one of the 4 most played games worldwide, they don't get online in one of the most anticipated titles of the holiday season, and they get the worst looking multiplats?

The Wii had everyone playing catchup from Capcom to EA trying to make software for the Wii, they're all leaving the Wii U

How'd that whole Rayman exclusive turn out?

2. I'm glad you think yet another Mario title and a failing franchise like Donkey Kong are going to save the console.

Let's see, Donkey Kong sold to 5% of the Wii audience, if it repeats those numbers on the Wii U Nintendo will be looking at 200,000 units sold. Well those numbers are astronomical, surely Nintendo will have to hire a mathematician just to follow it's sales numbers.

Also I don't want to hear *(#@*(@$# that games are coming next year, you know what? The Wii U had one of the weakest launches and followed that up with no games, not a single one for most of it's lifespan. Know who cares what's coming in 2014, 2015, 2016? No one, we're all in 2013, come join us and have a seat.

3. Why on earth do you think I'd waste my time watching Watchdogs on the Nintendo Direct? Nintendo can't figure out how a console runs games right now, you think I'm going to trust media applications?

I also love how your answer is to this

"These games are missing big features but that's ok"

"Well these are missing content, fine by me!"

What part are you not grasping that the Wii U is unable to keep pace already and the other consoles aren't even out. Holy cow it's losing ground to current gen consoles and your answer to it is so what?

A console less than a year old has no excuse to not be able to lead the way when it comes to games.

If the console is this far behind now what happens in year 3 of next gen?

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 IMAHAPYHIPPO

[QUOTE="FPS1337"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

GAMES!

Jaysonguy

1. Better line up?

WTH?

Last time I checked EA made games for the Wii

So a better lineup means that the Wii U doesn't get one of the 4 most played games worldwide, they don't get online in one of the most anticipated titles of the holiday season, and they get the worst looking multiplats?

The Wii had everyone playing catchup from Capcom to EA trying to make software for the Wii, they're all leaving the Wii U

How'd that whole Rayman exclusive turn out?

2. I'm glad you think yet another Mario title and a failing franchise like Donkey Kong are going to save the console.

Let's see, Donkey Kong sold to 5% of the Wii audience, if it repeats those numbers on the Wii U Nintendo will be looking at 200,000 units sold. Well those numbers are astronomical, surely Nintendo will have to hire a mathematician just to follow it's sales numbers.

Also I don't want to hear *(#@*(@$# that games are coming next year, you know what? The Wii U had one of the weakest launches and followed that up with no games, not a single one for most of it's lifespan. Know who cares what's coming in 2014, 2015, 2016? No one, we're all in 2013, come join us and have a seat.

3. Why on earth do you think I'd waste my time watching Watchdogs on the Nintendo Direct? Nintendo can't figure out how a console runs games right now, you think I'm going to trust media applications?

I also love how your answer is to this

"These games are missing big features but that's ok"

"Well these are missing content, fine by me!"

What part are you not grasping that the Wii U is unable to keep pace already and the other consoles aren't even out. Holy cow it's losing ground to current gen consoles and your answer to it is so what?

A console less than a year old has no excuse to not be able to lead the way when it comes to games.

If the console is this far behind now what happens in year 3 of next gen?

An understanding of basic business and game design would go a long way in these arguments. It's not that the system can't keep up, it's that companies aren't willing to invest any real money into Wii U ports because they won't make any money back if they do so. Had there been six million consoles out there as opposed to three, maybe they'd actually put the money into their ports, but unfortunately as it stands now, every extra dollar spent optimizing for the Wii U is a dollar potentially lost. Now, if anyone ever actually wants to see consistent and quality third party support, they need to actually buy the games that come out. Watch Dogs will be perfectly fine on Wii U. Graphically ps4 and Xbox one will be better, and as far as content goes, I highly doubt anyone but the obsessive will pitch a for over the playstation versions getting an extra 60 minutes of content. Fact is, we can't complain about third party support and then not show up with our money when it happens. I got black ops and assassins creed on wii u last year, and ill be getting watch dogs on wii u this year. I've done my part to support third parties. Until there's a greater presence of that, Wii U games will continue to be stripped down. And that's pure dollars and cents in that decision, not because of a problem with the console itself.
GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts
The Wii U needs more games that I would be interested in getting. Most of the games that released so far for the Wii U are just not my cup of tea.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jaysonguy

An understanding of basic business and game design would go a long way in these arguments. It's not that the system can't keep up, it's that companies aren't willing to invest any real money into Wii U ports because they won't make any money back if they do so. Had there been six million consoles out there as opposed to three, maybe they'd actually put the money into their ports, but unfortunately as it stands now, every extra dollar spent optimizing for the Wii U is a dollar potentially lost. Now, if anyone ever actually wants to see consistent and quality third party support, they need to actually buy the games that come out. Watch Dogs will be perfectly fine on Wii U. Graphically ps4 and Xbox one will be better, and as far as content goes, I highly doubt anyone but the obsessive will pitch a for over the playstation versions getting an extra 60 minutes of content. Fact is, we can't complain about third party support and then not show up with our money when it happens. I got black ops and assassins creed on wii u last year, and ill be getting watch dogs on wii u this year. I've done my part to support third parties. Until there's a greater presence of that, Wii U games will continue to be stripped down. And that's pure dollars and cents in that decision, not because of a problem with the console itself.IMAHAPYHIPPO

It's not that right now though, it shouldn't be right now.

Devs should just be able to dump the games on the Wii in the same form they arrive on other consoles.

Screw the gamepad, as long as the same experience was on the Wii U it would solve these problems but they can't because Nintendo skimped on the hardware end of it.

It's not just the hardware though, the online for the Wii U is the worst a console has ever had other than the Wii. It's insane that we can't log into our accounts from any console. We don't even have usernames! We have a number assigned and then that number is shown to us as a username.

So you have hardware that's lacking to keep pace, an archaic account system, and an online infrastructure that can't support current gen games let alone next generation systems.

With those problems you can't say the Wii is a great system (I know you personally didn't, the person who thinks less features for the same price is dandy did)

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

[QUOTE="IMAHAPYHIPPO"]An understanding of basic business and game design would go a long way in these arguments. It's not that the system can't keep up, it's that companies aren't willing to invest any real money into Wii U ports because they won't make any money back if they do so. Had there been six million consoles out there as opposed to three, maybe they'd actually put the money into their ports, but unfortunately as it stands now, every extra dollar spent optimizing for the Wii U is a dollar potentially lost. Now, if anyone ever actually wants to see consistent and quality third party support, they need to actually buy the games that come out. Watch Dogs will be perfectly fine on Wii U. Graphically ps4 and Xbox one will be better, and as far as content goes, I highly doubt anyone but the obsessive will pitch a for over the playstation versions getting an extra 60 minutes of content. Fact is, we can't complain about third party support and then not show up with our money when it happens. I got black ops and assassins creed on wii u last year, and ill be getting watch dogs on wii u this year. I've done my part to support third parties. Until there's a greater presence of that, Wii U games will continue to be stripped down. And that's pure dollars and cents in that decision, not because of a problem with the console itself.Jaysonguy

Devs should just be able to dump the games on the Wii in the same form they arrive on other consoles.

Screw the gamepad, as long as the same experience was on the Wii U it would solve these problems but they can't because Nintendo skimped on the hardware end of it.

It's not just the hardware though, the online for the Wii U is the worst a console has ever had other than the Wii. It's insane that we can't log into our accounts from any console. We don't even have usernames! We have a number assigned and then that number is shown to us as a username.

So you have hardware that's lacking to keep pace, an archaic account system, and an online infrastructure that can't support current gen games let alone next generation systems.

With those problems you can't say the Wii is a great system (I know you personally didn't, the person who thinks less features for the same price is dandy did)

You seem to think that the Wii U hasn't improved on the online feature at all, which is totally false. Your claim that accounts have assigned numbers instead of usernames proves that you have no idea what the online for Wii U is like.

And if you don't think the Wii is a great console, and you obviously hate the Wii U, what the hell are you doing on this forum, besides trolling?

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Agree, I only think they need two more things on the console:

• More mature exclusives
  • The ability to not play with that ugly ass tablet/controller
IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 IMAHAPYHIPPO

[QUOTE="IMAHAPYHIPPO"]An understanding of basic business and game design would go a long way in these arguments. It's not that the system can't keep up, it's that companies aren't willing to invest any real money into Wii U ports because they won't make any money back if they do so. Had there been six million consoles out there as opposed to three, maybe they'd actually put the money into their ports, but unfortunately as it stands now, every extra dollar spent optimizing for the Wii U is a dollar potentially lost. Now, if anyone ever actually wants to see consistent and quality third party support, they need to actually buy the games that come out. Watch Dogs will be perfectly fine on Wii U. Graphically ps4 and Xbox one will be better, and as far as content goes, I highly doubt anyone but the obsessive will pitch a for over the playstation versions getting an extra 60 minutes of content. Fact is, we can't complain about third party support and then not show up with our money when it happens. I got black ops and assassins creed on wii u last year, and ill be getting watch dogs on wii u this year. I've done my part to support third parties. Until there's a greater presence of that, Wii U games will continue to be stripped down. And that's pure dollars and cents in that decision, not because of a problem with the console itself.Jaysonguy

Except for the part where many devs have claimed they'd love to publish on the Wii U, they just won't get any sales because no one has the systems and Nintendo gamers rarely buy third party games on Nintendo consoles. I wouldn't take anything EA has to say seriously. They got a little butthurt when Nintendo backed out of using Origin as their online service (they do have a history of doing this at the last minute, hence, you know, the entire existence of the playstation). It's not quite as easy to simply "dump" ports onto the system. Ubisoft says it takes about a million dollars when all is said and done. When third party games not named Call of Duty are struggling to move even 100,000 units, why would a company bother. Crytek said their engine runs beautifully on Wii U, it's just money. It's not the system, it's just money.
IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 IMAHAPYHIPPO

Agree, I only think they need two more things on the console:

• More mature exclusives
  • The ability to not play with that ugly ass tablet/controller
Ricardomz
Nearly all the "mature" titles support the use of the pro controller.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Madmangamer364

Except for the part where many devs have claimed they'd love to publish on the Wii U, they just won't get any sales because no one has the systems and Nintendo gamers rarely buy third party games on Nintendo consoles. I wouldn't take anything EA has to say seriously. IMAHAPYHIPPO

EA is one of the few publishers that has supported the Wii U with some of its top brands and have seen them fail. I'm by no means defending the publisher, but how can you dismiss their thoughts on the platform and then take into account what other publishers/developers say when they haven't made a thing for the system? Given that EA rarely doesn't support a system, the fact that they've pulled back on the Wii U this early should be as telling as anything else in terms of third party support. That's why the TC's point about the Wii U having better third party support makes no sense, as it's starting to look like the worst of the N64 and Dreamcast rolled into one.

If publishers aren't holding back games for it altogether, they're holding back essential features. For a system that is just as capable of handling these multiplats, this is really unheard of. For what it's worth, EA's arrival and departure speaks much louder than a bunch of developers saying they want to develop for the Wii U when questioned about it.

It's not quite as easy to simply "dump" ports onto the system. Ubisoft says it takes about a million dollars when all is said and done. When third party games not named Call of Duty are struggling to move even 100,000 units, why would a company bother. Crytek said their engine runs beautifully on Wii U, it's just money. It's not the system, it's just money. IMAHAPYHIPPO

For the most part, I agree with this. In fact, I don't think it's that much of a secret that third party publishers will go where they think the money is. This is why I don't know how anyone can even begin to speak highly about where the Wii U is right now when it concerns third party support or make the argument that sales have nothing to do with the situation. When even the most successful third party games are failing to bring in revenue and the average third party title selling in the tens of thousands, where the heck is all of this optimism coming from with people like the TC? It almost feels as if some people are in this fantasy land where they believe the Wii U is going to get this amazing support just because it happens to be an HD system, even as everything appears to be crumbling apart for the system in reality.

This is something that could be seen coming from miles away, but a lot of people wanted to believe that the Wii U would suddenly become a haven for third party developers, when there was nothing to suggest that would actually be the case. And no matter what or how many publishers pull support or how long the system goes without a respectable amount of legitimately important games, that belief is still there. It would actually be admirable, if it wasn't for the fact that it's so far from the truth at this point, it just looks silly.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 IMAHAPYHIPPO

[QUOTE="IMAHAPYHIPPO"]Except for the part where many devs have claimed they'd love to publish on the Wii U, they just won't get any sales because no one has the systems and Nintendo gamers rarely buy third party games on Nintendo consoles. I wouldn't take anything EA has to say seriously. Madmangamer364

EA is one of the few publishers that has supported the Wii U with some of its top brands and have seen them fail. I'm by no means defending the publisher, but how can you dismiss their thoughts on the platform and then take into account what other publishers/developers say when they haven't made a thing for the system? Given that EA rarely doesn't support a system, the fact that they've pulled back on the Wii U this early should be as telling as anything else in terms of third party support. That's why the TC's point about the Wii U having better third party support makes no sense, as it's starting to look like the worst of the N64 and Dreamcast rolled into one.

If publishers aren't holding back games for it altogether, they're holding back essential features. For a system that is just as capable of handling these multiplats, this is really unheard of. For what it's worth, EA's arrival and departure speaks much louder than a bunch of developers saying they want to develop for the Wii U when questioned about it.

It's not quite as easy to simply "dump" ports onto the system. Ubisoft says it takes about a million dollars when all is said and done. When third party games not named Call of Duty are struggling to move even 100,000 units, why would a company bother. Crytek said their engine runs beautifully on Wii U, it's just money. It's not the system, it's just money. IMAHAPYHIPPO

For the most part, I agree with this. In fact, I don't think it's that much of a secret that third party publishers will go where they think the money is. This is why I don't know how anyone can even begin to speak highly about where the Wii U is right now when it concerns third party support or make the argument that sales have nothing to do with the situation. When even the most successful third party games are failing to bring in revenue and the average third party title selling in the tens of thousands, where the heck is all of this optimism coming from with people like the TC? It almost feels as if some people are in this fantasy land where they believe the Wii U is going to get this amazing support just because it happens to be an HD system, even as everything appears to be crumbling apart for the system in reality.

This is something that could be seen coming from miles away, but a lot of people wanted to believe that the Wii U would suddenly become a haven for third party developers, when there was nothing to suggest that would actually be the case. And no matter what or how many publishers pull support or how long the system goes without a respectable amount of legitimately important games, that belief is still there. It would actually be admirable, if it wasn't for the fact that it's so far from the truth at this point, it just looks silly.

I'm not defending the third party stance at all. It's a travesty I'm a Nintendo fanboy and have to play most of my games on other systems. But at the same time, being a Nintendo fan has made me wise enough to make a jerk off motion everytime a new Nintendo system has one of those "look at all these interested developers!" videos. If you're buying a wii u to play call of duty, you're doing gaming wrong. Now, as someone who loves to play mario, ill glady get ghosts and watch dogs on wii u, but only because I already bought the damn thing for Mario and Zelda. Point being, complaining about lacking third party support is a broken record, but claiming the console's hardware is to blame for the fact that third parties checked out early is just simply a false statement.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="IMAHAPYHIPPO"]An understanding of basic business and game design would go a long way in these arguments. It's not that the system can't keep up, it's that companies aren't willing to invest any real money into Wii U ports because they won't make any money back if they do so. Had there been six million consoles out there as opposed to three, maybe they'd actually put the money into their ports, but unfortunately as it stands now, every extra dollar spent optimizing for the Wii U is a dollar potentially lost. Now, if anyone ever actually wants to see consistent and quality third party support, they need to actually buy the games that come out. Watch Dogs will be perfectly fine on Wii U. Graphically ps4 and Xbox one will be better, and as far as content goes, I highly doubt anyone but the obsessive will pitch a for over the playstation versions getting an extra 60 minutes of content. Fact is, we can't complain about third party support and then not show up with our money when it happens. I got black ops and assassins creed on wii u last year, and ill be getting watch dogs on wii u this year. I've done my part to support third parties. Until there's a greater presence of that, Wii U games will continue to be stripped down. And that's pure dollars and cents in that decision, not because of a problem with the console itself.conkertheking1

You seem to think that the Wii U hasn't improved on the online feature at all, which is totally false. Your claim that accounts have assigned numbers instead of usernames proves that you have no idea what the online for Wii U is like.

And if you don't think the Wii is a great console, and you obviously hate the Wii U, what the hell are you doing on this forum, besides trolling?

1. You read poorly, that's not what I said

2. You don't understand how the Wii U's account system works so you're unable to discuss it

Also all the "you hate the Wii U" talk

98rewp.jpg

So yeah, there's that...

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nini200
[QUOTE="IMAHAPYHIPPO"] If you're buying a wii u to play call of duty, you're doing gaming wrong.

I purposely buy all my Call Of Duty games on Nintendo consoles. Reason being, there's nowhere else where I can play Call Of Duty with Pointer Controls. I'm doing gaming wrong. :(
IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 IMAHAPYHIPPO
[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="IMAHAPYHIPPO"] If you're buying a wii u to play call of duty, you're doing gaming wrong.

I purposely buy all my Call Of Duty games on Nintendo consoles. Reason being, there's nowhere else where I can play Call Of Duty with Pointer Controls. I'm doing gaming wrong. :(

I may have been misinterpreted. I buy call of duty on wii u as well. Reason being, there's nowhere else I can consistently kill nine year olds without going 2-25. I just suck at call of duty.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nini200
[QUOTE="IMAHAPYHIPPO"][QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="IMAHAPYHIPPO"] If you're buying a wii u to play call of duty, you're doing gaming wrong.

I may have been misinterpreted. I buy call of duty on wii u as well. Reason being, there's nowhere else I can consistently kill nine year olds without going 2-25. I just suck at call of duty.

You have your reasoning. My reasoning is if the other consoles offered pointer controls, I'd get that version especially the Xbox version as it is without a doubt the definitive COD console but PS is sort of abandoning PS Move and I can't even imagine playing COD with Smart Glass or Kinect if they ever thought about that. Yea I'll miss out on DLC unfortunately but I'd have my preferred control method still by going with Nintendo as of now so I'll just have to be doing gaming wrong. :(
IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 IMAHAPYHIPPO
[QUOTE="nini200"][QUOTE="IMAHAPYHIPPO"][QUOTE="nini200"] I purposely buy all my Call Of Duty games on Nintendo consoles. Reason being, there's nowhere else where I can play Call Of Duty with Pointer Controls. I'm doing gaming wrong. :(

You have your reasoning. My reasoning is if the other consoles offered pointer controls, I'd get that version especially the Xbox version as it is without a doubt the definitive COD console but PS is sort of abandoning PS Move and I can't even imagine playing COD with Smart Glass or Kinect if they ever thought about that. Yea I'll miss out on DLC unfortunately but I'd have my preferred control method still by going with Nintendo as of now so I'll just have to be doing gaming wrong. :(

I feel like we're agreeing on the same point. I'm all for supporting your preferences, whatever they may be. If you prefer pointer controls for call of duty, by all means play call of duty on wii. I was using call of duty more in a generalization of shooters than the game itself when I made that post. To clarify once more, what I my intended meaning was: if you're primary game of choice is the first person shooter, you're much better off than the wii u, as the ps3/Xbox 360 will have much more to cater to your gaming needs.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
All I can take from this thread is that I don't really understand why people get so angry when discussing about a console. I mean, if you like the console, JUST ENJOY IT FOR GOD'S SAKE. If you hate it, DON'T BUY IT. If you hate it but you still bought it, well, what is wrong with you.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Great? No way, not yet at least.

I've still enjoyed the console though even with the lack of games. I think MiiVerse is pretty awesome, and the VC has potential to be great with some more releases hopefully. I'm pretty bummed the likes of Mario Kart and SSB isn't coming until next year though.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 superbuuman
[QUOTE="Rod90"]All I can take from this thread is that I don't really understand why people get so angry when discussing about a console. I mean, if you like the console, JUST ENJOY IT FOR GOD'S SAKE. If you hate it, DON'T BUY IT. If you hate it but you still bought it, well, what is wrong with you.

nah not angry just pointing out Wii U is not great -> fact.. just because a few people wants to be fanboy by saying its great, it makes them correct?..are you upset hearing that Wii U is not great? no hate from me, just displease with what Nintendo have done with it..wanting them to do better...is that wrong?
IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 IMAHAPYHIPPO
[QUOTE="superbuuman"][QUOTE="Rod90"]All I can take from this thread is that I don't really understand why people get so angry when discussing about a console. I mean, if you like the console, JUST ENJOY IT FOR GOD'S SAKE. If you hate it, DON'T BUY IT. If you hate it but you still bought it, well, what is wrong with you.

nah not angry just pointing out Wii U is not great -> fact.. just because a few people wants to be fanboy by saying its great, it makes them correct?..are you upset hearing that Wii U is not great? no hate from me, just displease with what Nintendo have done with it..wanting them to do better...is that wrong?

The Wii U is not great is an opinion, just like saying its great is an opinion. I've had a blast with my Wii U, and I think it's a great system. I've had to wait long stretches between releases, but that's why I have a ps3. If you know nintendo, you knew all those games were getting pushed back from the start, it's just what they do. But that doesn't make the people who still like it insignificant of stupid, as many have claimed. I for one just understand the company I'm purchasing games from and have learned to expect this kind of thing.
Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Madmangamer364

All I can take from this thread is that I don't really understand why people get so angry when discussing about a console. I mean, if you like the console, JUST ENJOY IT FOR GOD'S SAKE. If you hate it, DON'T BUY IT. If you hate it but you still bought it, well, what is wrong with you.Rod90

Eh, I wouldn't really call what's been discussed here as anger. I doubt anyone's losing sleep over this topic, and at the very least, I know I'm not. :P

It's fine if the TC or whoever wants to call the Wii U a "great" console. That's their opinion, and they're entitled to it. The problem comes when someone tries to justify that opinion with claims that are flat-out false. When you say things like the Wii U has better third party support than ANY single modern-day console, when it has been in a downhill spiral faster than any system ever in that regard or try to make the argument that its power will keep it relevant, when it can't even manage to get all current-gen games in equal fashion as we speak, you're asking to get called out on at least those points. The second point about the upcoming slate of games is certainly more subjective, but I doubt most people would use the games that make up the rest of the year big enough to fill the massive pit the system already finds itself in.

It's not so much about liking or hating the Wii U as a whole, but rather just calling things like we see them. Personally speaking, I can't really say I like or hate the system at this point in time, as there hasn't been enough done with it to sway me either way. I certainly don't like the direction the system is heading in, but I'm still a Nintendo fan. I guess that's part of the reason why I'm so puzzled as to how the Wii U could be seen as a "great" anything with it already being in the state that it's in. Still, since this is a matter of opinion at the end of the day, my stance really only represents myself.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

There are quite a few games coming for Wii U this fall.  Sonic and Donkey Kong look like they will be great.  The new Donkey Kong does look super familiar, but it does not look like something I need to rush out and buy.  Mario 3D World looks like a console version of 3D Land for 3DS.  None of these games uses the gamepad a breaking new way.  The gamepad itself feels underutilized, so Nintendo is shooting itself in the foot when it comes to messaging.  "The gamepad makes the console unique, but almost none of the games us it in a unique way."  Most people have multiple TV's in their homes, so the offscreen function is not a huge selling point.  It is useful if all of the TV's are being used though. 

Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts
I concur with this topic title. The Wii U is a great system, and I definitely won't have enough money to get all the good looking games coming out in the next several months.
dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dino7c
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts
its not a great console...could be with great games but we shall see anyone saying its great is kidding themselves
Avatar image for Avatar_Taxidous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Avatar_Taxidous
Member since 2006 • 4407 Posts

anyone saying its great is kidding themselvesdino7c

Right.. 'cause people aren't entitled to their own opinion?

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

There were features lacking on the Wii that were troublesome, but now that we have discovered they will also be lacking on the Wii U, it is inexcusable.

I do not know if Nintendo dislikes persist online accounts or just isn't aware of the benefit of being able to pull your account up on other hardware. Being able to utilize that content anywhere is something even inexperienced gamers recognize.

There are plenty of steps to ensure that gamers can only use that account on one system at a time. Nintendo will not lose revenue by having an account system. 

Nintendo needs to understand that they need to adapt to their surroundings better. 

I wish we had more incite on Nintendo's development group that is setting up online infrastructure. I want to know how much money they really are putting into these sort of things. It seems like they don't care much for it and allocate small amount of resources.