Wii having trouble reading disks.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Super-Mario-Fan (4279 posts) -

I've been wondering around the customer service part of Nintendo's website confused, so I've decided to address the problem here. I want to know definatively what to do as there are a variety of repair options available for the Wii (ie. advanced replacements, partial repairs ect.). Here's the problem:

My Wii makes a really loud sound whenever it reads a disk. This problem has gradually gotten worse over the last six months. Now, it getting to the point where the Wii has touble reading the disks themselves. It will attempt to read them, but after a certain amount of time, it will give up and an error message will be on my screen saying "the disk cannot be read". It's doing this for all my games now. Itstillsometimes reads them successfully, but that amount of success is deminishing. I'm thinking that my Wii has a serious dust problem, but I'm not for sure.

Has anybody else had these problems before? What exactly did you do? Did you have to get an advanced repair/replacement? I've tried calling Nintendo's Customer Service up, but I'm always routed to an automated message, which I hate.

#2 Posted by ImmaMedic (187 posts) -

The same thing happened to my GameCube. Just send it to Nintendo to have it repaired for free. At least my GameCube was fixed for free, don't know about the Wii. And within 3 months, they'll get back to you with a fixed system... If you can wait that long...

#3 Posted by JuarN18 (4981 posts) -

maybe this can help you

#4 Posted by snover2009 (1730 posts) -

maybe this can help you

JuarN18

This worked for me when I had my brawl read errors.

#5 Posted by Khadaj32 (3157 posts) -

I've been wondering around the customer service part of Nintendo's website confused, so I've decided to address the problem here. I want to know definatively what to do as there are a variety of repair options available for the Wii (ie. advanced replacements, partial repairs ect.). Here's the problem:

My Wii makes a really loud sound whenever it reads a disk. This problem has gradually gotten worse over the last six months. Now, it getting to the point where the Wii has touble reading the disks themselves. It will attempt to read them, but after a certain amount of time, it will give up and an error message will be on my screen saying "the disk cannot be read". It's doing this for all my games now. Itstillsometimes reads them successfully, but that amount of success is deminishing. I'm thinking that my Wii has a serious dust problem, but I'm not for sure.

Has anybody else had these problems before? What exactly did you do? Did you have to get an advanced repair/replacement? I've tried calling Nintendo's Customer Service up, but I'm always routed to an automated message, which I hate.

Super-Mario-Fan

I have that exact same problem, my friend. EXACT. The noise is very loud, a constant whirring sound that's very distracting. Then randomly at some point in a game, the noise will stop, signifying the disc becoming still, and the error message pops up. I've thought about repairing, but I dunno...I've heard stories of console repair, where they gotta send it in like 3 times over the course of 3 months to get the problem rectified. I really don't wanna wait that long, so I might just go and buy a new Wii.

#6 Posted by Khadaj32 (3157 posts) -

maybe this can help you

JuarN18

Hmm...very interesting! *orders one*

Thank for the link!

#7 Posted by Super-Mario-Fan (4279 posts) -

Alright, I bought the disk cleaner today and used it. The Wii is able to read the disks now (yay!), but it still makes that loud sound. I guess I won't worry about it until something bad happens again.

#8 Posted by catfishmoon23 (5197 posts) -

Alright, I bought the disk cleaner today and used it. The Wii is able to read the disks now (yay!), but it still makes that loud sound. I guess I won't worry about it until something bad happens again.

Super-Mario-Fan

Cool, I might try this. I haven't had errors with most games, but I remember not being able to get past the beginning of SMG a while back. I'm getting MK Wii for Christmas, so I don't want to get an error when I pop it in for the first time. For 10 bucks plus shipping, it's worth a shot.

Also, I'd like to note that my Wii makes a buzzing sound similar to the one you described.

#9 Posted by JuarN18 (4981 posts) -

[QUOTE="JuarN18"]

maybe this can help you

snover2009

This worked for me when I had my brawl read errors.

I had the same problem with brawl too

#10 Posted by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -

The same thing happened to my GameCube. Just send it to Nintendo to have it repaired for free. At least my GameCube was fixed for free, don't know about the Wii. And within 3 months, they'll get back to you with a fixed system... If you can wait that long...

ImmaMedic
When it happen to my Wii it cost $75 to repair.
#11 Posted by OniStrat (1800 posts) -

Is this the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp1ZQS4UC9g

?