Wii Games on the Wii U

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by The-Butcher248 (143 posts) -

Will the original Wii games look better Wii U? I thought they were supposed to, however i haven't heard any talk of it, since they announcement of the launch.

#2 Posted by superbuuman (2828 posts) -

No, that was a rumour or what people hoped for, there is no upscaling..it will just look as if you're playing on Wii. :)

#3 Posted by wiifan001 (18412 posts) -
i haven't heard anything about upscaling Wii games. If they haven't announced that by now, means wii games probably won't be.
#4 Posted by meetroid8 (21139 posts) -
It has been confirmed that the WiiU will NOT upscale Wii games.
#5 Posted by KBFloYd (13622 posts) -

get an hdmi adaptor for the wii....thats the difference you will see...

#6 Posted by mariokart64fan (19491 posts) -

upscalling doesnt do much any way for older games, try playing nfs 3 hot pursuit on ps3 , not much of a difference cause the game was designed for sd resolutions ,

so no its not going to and i dont care if it did or not cause , the point of wii u is to play wii u games, wii games are just a bonus im sure 96 ,6 million people own wiis already

#7 Posted by KBFloYd (13622 posts) -

upscalling doesnt do much any way for older games, try playing nfs 3 hot pursuit on ps3 , not much of a difference cause the game was designed for sd resolutions ,

so no its not going to and i dont care if it did or not cause , the point of wii u is to play wii u games, wii games are just a bonus im sure 96 ,6 million people own wiis already

mariokart64fan

have you got banjo kazooie on xbox live? it looks better than all the n64 games on the wii VC...looks terrific...so it can be done right?

#8 Posted by Omzzz (1440 posts) -
it'll look a bit cleaner with the HDMI, but other than that nothing. It's going to be a MINOR difference.
#9 Posted by Jaysonguy (37640 posts) -

mariokart64fan

Upscaling does huge things for older games, for many it breathes in new life by making them look better on HD displays.

The Wii's games would look much better if they were allowed to be upscaled, sadly Nintendo is refusing to go that route.

#10 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73988 posts) -
I suppose Wii games would have looked better on the Wii U if they were... made for a technically competent system back in 2006... *scratches beard*
#11 Posted by Sepewrath (28723 posts) -
There's not going to be any upscale, I don't care about that anyway. Just wish you could play VC games on the controller screen.
#12 Posted by Heirren (17061 posts) -
The image will look sharper, with less color bleed.
#13 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

There's not going to be any upscale, I don't care about that anyway. Just wish you could play VC games on the controller screen. Sepewrath

Yeah the more time passes, the less I care about the upscaling. Playing Super Mario Bros 3 on the tablet while my wife is watching her girly junk on the other hand would have been much more awesome :(

#14 Posted by meetroid8 (21139 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]There's not going to be any upscale, I don't care about that anyway. Just wish you could play VC games on the controller screen. WreckEm711

Yeah the more time passes, the less I care about the upscaling. Playing Super Mario Bros 3 on the tablet while my wife is watching her girly junk on the other hand would have been much more awesome :(

Isn't Super Mario Bros 3 on the 3DS e shop? Why not just download it there?
#15 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73988 posts) -
[QUOTE="meetroid8"] Isn't Super Mario Bros 3 on the 3DS e shop? Why not just download it there?

Bigger screen! :o
#16 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -
[QUOTE="WreckEm711"]

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]There's not going to be any upscale, I don't care about that anyway. Just wish you could play VC games on the controller screen. meetroid8

Isn't Super Mario Bros 3 on the 3DS e shop? Why not just download it there?

No.... It's on the Wii's VC, but not on the eShop just yet. eShop has Super Mario Bros., and Super Mariol Land 3, but not Super Mario Bros. 3. You neglect that someone could have already purchased these games on the Wii and after transferring to WiiU, would have preferred to play them on the GamePad. They shouldn't need to re-download through Nintendo 3DS eShop. I, too, would have liked it if VC games could be played on the GamePad, but it's not a big deal to me, though I do feel it's a missed opportunity. Here's hoping a patch can fix it.
#17 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

There's not going to be any upscale, I don't care about that anyway. Just wish you could play VC games on the controller screen. Sepewrath

Wait... you can't?

:|

#18 Posted by Sepewrath (28723 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]There's not going to be any upscale, I don't care about that anyway. Just wish you could play VC games on the controller screen. Pixel-Perfect

Wait... you can't?

Yep that was confirmed last week or some other point, VC games can only be played on the screen. Hopefully if people keep asking, they will update the system to allow it.
#19 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]There's not going to be any upscale, I don't care about that anyway. Just wish you could play VC games on the controller screen. Sepewrath

Wait... you can't?

Yep that was confirmed last week or some other point, VC games can only be played on the screen. Hopefully if people keep asking, they will update the system to allow it.

That's awful. That's something I was really looking forward to. :(

#20 Posted by Heirren (17061 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

Wait... you can't?

Pixel-Perfect

That's awful. That's something I was really looking forward to. :(

I believe it was VC games that were TRANSFERED from wii were not playable on the gamepad. If that isn't the case I'm a little disappointed., or maybe a lot disappointed. ...that logic would also mean wii games couldn't be streamed to the pad. For something that is being so heavily advertized about the console, I tend to believe that they will. I can only imagine little billy complaining thatnx game works, but so and so does not.
#21 Posted by thetravman (3519 posts) -

Has any console had backwards-compatibility where the graphics were upscaled? Not that I recall.

#22 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9787 posts) -

Has any console had backwards-compatibility where the graphics were upscaled? Not that I recall.

thetravman
360 upscales xbox games and the ps3 upscales ps2 games. The results are not all that consistent. I had a ps3 that played ps2 games and I suppose there was a difference but I didn't take advantage of it that much. My ps3 ylodded and my new one can't play ps2 games so I can't test it right now. I know the ps3 has an awesome DVD upscaler so maybe the inconsistency was just people not using the ps3 HDMI cables. The 360 has full upscaling of xbox 1 games that is apprently very good (but I don't own one so I can't test that). Basically I think this is a cost issue in that upscalers are programs owned by companies, and Nintendo doesn't like paying those companies. I suppose it is similar to how no Nintendo consoles can play movies because they don't want to pay for the programs needed to do it. That is a real shame btw. Just like how Nintendo did a good thing in enabling wii controllers and wii games on their system, it would have made the wiiU an more attractive product to the 90 million wii owners if it made all their wii games look smoother. I bet a future SKU will have that ability
#23 Posted by Sepewrath (28723 posts) -
I believe it was VC games that were TRANSFERED from wii were not playable on the gamepad. If that isn't the case I'm a little disappointed., or maybe a lot disappointed. ...that logic would also mean wii games couldn't be streamed to the pad. For something that is being so heavily advertized about the console, I tend to believe that they will. I can only imagine little billy complaining thatnx game works, but so and so does not.Heirren
Yeah I'm talking about games from transferred for the Wii, I don't know what the Wii U is doing in regards to VC, there hasn't really been any talk about it. And of course Wii games cant be streamed to the pad, because many Wii games use the sensor bar, you would have to put the pad near the bar and stand back. Wii games on the pad would be horrible.
#24 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9787 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heirren"]I believe it was VC games that were TRANSFERED from wii were not playable on the gamepad. If that isn't the case I'm a little disappointed., or maybe a lot disappointed. ...that logic would also mean wii games couldn't be streamed to the pad. For something that is being so heavily advertized about the console, I tend to believe that they will. I can only imagine little billy complaining thatnx game works, but so and so does not.Sepewrath
Yeah I'm talking about games from transferred for the Wii, I don't know what the Wii U is doing in regards to VC, there hasn't really been any talk about it. And of course Wii games cant be streamed to the pad, because many Wii games use the sensor bar, you would have to put the pad near the bar and stand back. Wii games on the pad would be horrible.

and yet the wii u gamepad has a sensor bar to do just that. I would try it lol
#25 Posted by Epak_ (6786 posts) -

I hope they do look at least a bit better. Gonna start scavenging for used Wii games next year.

#26 Posted by Jaysonguy (37640 posts) -

I hope they do look at least a bit better. Gonna start scavenging for used Wii games next year.

Epak_

They wont, at all.