Wii for GC? Any downside?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by djwood84 (447 posts) -

Hey there Big N community - just a simple question. I've been really wanting to play through some GameCube classics, but I know you can play GC games on the Wii. Is there any downside to playing them on your Wii? (compatibility problems? visual issues?) I don't really see myself playing ANYTHING on Wii, except SMGalaxy 1/2 and NSMBros.

#2 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

Hey there Big N community - just a simple question. I've been really wanting to play through some GameCube classics, but I know you can play GC games on the Wii. Is there any downside to playing them on your Wii? (compatibility problems? visual issues?) I don't really see myself playing ANYTHING on Wii, except SMGalaxy 1/2 and NSMBros.

djwood84

It runs exactly like it did on the GC, you just have to make sure you get one of the older Wiis that are backwards compatible, newer Wiis can't play gamecube games!

#3 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -

[QUOTE="djwood84"]

WreckEm711

It runs exactly like it did on the GC, you just have to make sure you get one of the older Wiis that are backwards compatible, newer Wiis can't play gamecube games!

Yep. Also don't forget to get a Gamecube memory card because GC saves can't be saved to the system memory.
#4 Posted by JuanGrande386 (1115 posts) -

Its actually better if you have a component cable for the Wii because most Gamecube games will run in Progressive Scan which helps a good deal on an HDTV. Component cables for a Gamecube are expensive as hell!

#5 Posted by Jaysonguy (37647 posts) -

Its actually better if you have a component cable for the Wii because most Gamecube games will run in Progressive Scan which helps a good deal on an HDTV. Component cables for a Gamecube are expensive as hell!

JuanGrande386

Exactly right

It's cheaper to buy a Wii then it is to get component cables for the Gamecube

#6 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4133 posts) -
Nope, only upside. You have to make sure you get a backwards compatible one though.
#7 Posted by Heirren (17094 posts) -
Only downside is you can't get the Gameboy Player.
#8 Posted by Heirren (17094 posts) -
Only downside is you can't get the Gameboy Player.
#9 Posted by thetravman (3521 posts) -

Exactly the same. One downside is that you can't play with the GC logo screen. I found it oddly pleasing.

#10 Posted by Epak_ (6786 posts) -

[QUOTE="JuanGrande386"]

Jaysonguy

Exactly right

It's cheaper to buy a Wii then it is to get component cables for the Gamecube

Holy hell!