Why won't EA support the Wii U?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GameboyTroy (2317 posts) -
I've noticed that they're not making Wii U versions of Madden 25 and the next Need for Speed games. What other companies that are also not making Wii U versions of their games?
#2 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
Many third parties have limited support due to the low Wii U install base. EA is the biggest one, but some companies have decided not to support it from the start like Rockstar and Bethesda. Some of the ones who did support the Wii U from launch are continuing to do so - Activision, Ubisoft, Warner Entertainment.
#3 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -
I'm not much of a fan of sports games, especially Wii U ones that probably won't include Wii remote controls, but it's too bad EA isn't releasing all their upcoming games on Wii U. Hopefully that changes soon.
#4 Posted by drekula2 (2959 posts) -

Because the Wii U only sold 4 million units.

#5 Posted by drekula2 (2959 posts) -

That, and 7-year old hardware with no directx11

#6 Posted by Ganados0 (1066 posts) -

Too many yes men.

#7 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4313 posts) -

drekula2

Nintendo cannot use DirectX at all and nor can Sony. Microsoft owns the platform. At least learn what you're talking about if you're going to troll.

On topic though. It's simple, the Wii U isn't selling. 

#8 Posted by hiphops_savior (8038 posts) -
1. Wii U isn't selling. 2. It uses PowerPC architecture to XB1/PS4 x86. 3. It takes time and resources, which is unsustainable in today's climate. 4. Even if XB1 ports bomb, the resources lost would be next to nothing.
#9 Posted by Bardock47 (5360 posts) -
  1. Install base is still small. More users, mean more people on board.
  2. Could also have to do with the falling out after the whole origin/NN fiasco.
#10 Posted by Sora278 (1495 posts) -

Because Nintendo is pure and EA wants to dirty it.  EA wants to have Origins on the Wii U but Nintendo said no so EA is not giving it games.

#11 Posted by GameboyTroy (2317 posts) -

[QUOTE="drekula2"]

Toxic-Seahorse

Nintendo cannot use DirectX at all and nor can Sony. Microsoft owns the platform. At least learn what you're talking about if you're going to troll.

On topic though. It's simple, the Wii U isn't selling. 

Its sad to hear that it isn't selling well. Nintendo has been around for a long time.
#12 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

EA is dumb, and should be hated.

#13 Posted by kungfool69 (2583 posts) -

chicken-egg scenario

Console will not sell due to lack of games, publishers won't put games on it due to lack of console sales, never ending cycle.

Also, third party software has a bad history on nintendo consoles of not selling well. Most publishers consider it a waist of time to compete against mario

#14 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7971 posts) -

The super-small install base(roughtly 4mil) in comparison to other platforms(100+mil) doesn't warrant allocating the resources necessary to develop a Wii U version of their software. Wii U could have had Crysis 3 and other games from EA, but slow sales canned those projects.

#15 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9746 posts) -

Most of the reasons already stated on this thread, and the Wii-U not letting EA block used games or do online passes.

#16 Posted by TxTech1923 (662 posts) -
Now that the NCAA Football franchise is about to go defunct, I honestly don't care what happens with EA. -_-
#17 Posted by KBFloYd (14575 posts) -

Its sad to hear that it isn't selling well. Nintendo has been around for a long time.GameboyTroy

don't worry.. it will all turn around by christmas..

plus 3ds is selling sick...so they have money to take some loss right now.

#18 Posted by DaBrainz (7721 posts) -
The install base just isn't there to justify a madden port. As much as I love Madden 13, the online is a ghost town and even my sorry ass was able to break the top 10 in the leaderboards.
#19 Posted by GameboyTroy (2317 posts) -

[QUOTE="GameboyTroy"]Its sad to hear that it isn't selling well. Nintendo has been around for a long time.KBFloYd

don't worry.. it will all turn around by christmas..

plus 3ds is selling sick...so they have money to take some loss right now.

I've heard that its selling better than the 3 consoles. One more funny thing is that I'm posting from one right now. I'm glad that I've bought one.
#20 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (3175 posts) -
I've noticed that they're not making Wii U versions of Madden 25 and the next Need for Speed games. What other companies that are also not making Wii U versions of their games?GameboyTroy
Why would they? I mean Wii players dont buy 3rd party games, and if they do, sale will be too low. Look how all 3rd party games has flop on Wii U
#21 Posted by iphonegamegirl (12 posts) -
they need to sell more before companies will support them and make games for them.
#22 Posted by StarkJJ (534 posts) -

Because Nintendo is pure and EA wants to dirty it.  EA wants to have Origins on the Wii U but Nintendo said no so EA is not giving it games.

Sora278
Yep. Exactly!
#23 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -
It's no big loss, EA isn't all that great since after N64.
#24 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
The only thing I'll miss is FIFA, nothing else.
#25 Posted by mariokart64fan (19638 posts) -

eas butthurt over origin that simple but when wiiu picks up steam the support should as well

#26 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4313 posts) -

eas butthurt over origin that simple but when wiiu picks up steam the support should as well

mariokart64fan
YEah. It's DEFINITELY not the fact that the Wii U si selling poorly and revious 3rd party games haven't sold all that well.
It's no big loss, EA isn't all that great since after N64.BigBen11111
I highly disagree with that but to each his own. Mass Effect Series Crysis 1 DA: Origin Burnout Series Battlefield Series Mirror's Edge You have to admit that those are some quality games, regardless if you like them or not.
#28 Posted by ants83 (360 posts) -

As good as some EA games are, I was never gonna buy one for Wii U anyway (unless it was a good exclusive game) If you only own a Wii U then I could see it as bad news but most people like myself own a Wii U for the exclusives. Why would anyone buy a watered down port unless you only own one system.

#29 Posted by KBFloYd (14575 posts) -

As good as some EA games are, I was never gonna buy one for Wii U anyway (unless it was a good exclusive game) If you only own a Wii U then I could see it as bad news but most people like myself own a Wii U for the exclusives. Why would anyone buy a watered down port unless you only own one system.

ants83

see but they are not all watered down ports....rayman legends is best on wiiU...

all the wiiU 3rd party games use the gamepad either for off tv play or for map and inventory management.... some people want to xperience these games differently.

#30 Posted by ants83 (360 posts) -

[QUOTE="ants83"]

KBFloYd

see but they are not all watered down ports....rayman legends is best on wiiU...

all the wiiU 3rd party games use the gamepad either for off tv play or for map and inventory management.... some people want to xperience these games differently.

Yes but Rayman Legends isn't a port, it was made for Wii U. And not enough people want to experience these games differently hence the low sales. I could be wrong but I just think they'd be better off making new games for Wii U rather than porting stuff, if the games good enough, in most cases it will do well.

#31 Posted by KBFloYd (14575 posts) -

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="ants83"]

ants83

Yes but Rayman Legends isn't a port, it was made for Wii U. And not enough people want to experience these games differently hence the low sales. I could be wrong but I just think they'd be better off making new games for Wii U rather than porting stuff, if the games good enough, in most cases it will do well.

rayman legends is multiplat...a multiplat better on wiiU...not wiiU fault it was the lead platform.

some people are buying the multiplats and are interested in something different or else we wouldnt be getting them.

#32 Posted by ants83 (360 posts) -

[QUOTE="ants83"]

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

KBFloYd

rayman legends is multiplat...a multiplat better on wiiU...not wiiU fault it was the lead platform.

some people are buying the multiplats and are interested in something different or else we wouldnt be getting them.

Yes a multiplat game built on Wii U, as in NOT a port! And yes some people but not enough people. Why are you trying to argue with me? :/

#33 Posted by KBFloYd (14575 posts) -

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="ants83"]Yes but Rayman Legends isn't a port, it was made for Wii U. And not enough people want to experience these games differently hence the low sales. I could be wrong but I just think they'd be better off making new games for Wii U rather than porting stuff, if the games good enough, in most cases it will do well.

ants83

Yes a multiplat game built on Wii U, as in NOT a port! And yes some people but not enough people. Why are you trying to argue with me? :/

meh its not arguing...just discussing :P

#34 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -
I'd agree that all Wii U ports aren't watered down versions of their brethren. Even though CoD: Black Ops II didn't get the DLC maps (probably because of the smaller online base compared to the consoles that have been out for 6+ years) but the Wii remote controls made it by far the definitive version for me.
#35 Posted by KBFloYd (14575 posts) -

I'd agree that all Wii U ports aren't watered down versions of their brethren. Even though CoD: Black Ops II didn't get the DLC maps (probably because of the smaller online base compared to the consoles that have been out for 6+ years) but the Wii remote controls made it by far the definitive version for me.Avatar_Taxidous

yea 3rd party games on wiiU are all basicallu New play control versions of games on the other systems.

nintendo should make 3rd parties write it on the box :P

npc_pikimin_wii_ukUK_boxart_160w.jpg

#36 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4313 posts) -

[QUOTE="Avatar_Taxidous"]I'd agree that all Wii U ports aren't watered down versions of their brethren. Even though CoD: Black Ops II didn't get the DLC maps (probably because of the smaller online base compared to the consoles that have been out for 6+ years) but the Wii remote controls made it by far the definitive version for me.KBFloYd

yea 3rd party games on wiiU are all basicallu New play control versions of games on the other systems.

I think a bigger problem is that a lot of people see motion controls as gimmicky when in fact it is the superior control scheme for FPS games when compared to dual analog sticks.
#37 Posted by KBFloYd (14575 posts) -

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="Avatar_Taxidous"]I'd agree that all Wii U ports aren't watered down versions of their brethren. Even though CoD: Black Ops II didn't get the DLC maps (probably because of the smaller online base compared to the consoles that have been out for 6+ years) but the Wii remote controls made it by far the definitive version for me.Toxic-Seahorse

I think a bigger problem is that a lot of people see motion controls as gimmicky when in fact it is the superior control scheme for FPS games when compared to dual analog sticks.

yea but look at it from their angle....they have no issues using dual analog...evident by call of duty selling 20Million on 360/ps3...eclipsing wiiu(motion controls) and PC(kb/m)...

they dont care to even try motion controls or keyboard and mouse. thery are just fine with dual analog so why change? is what they think...i think.

#38 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9884 posts) -

Sora278

If I recall correctly, EA was pissed off at Nintendo because Nintendo used them to help develop their online system, and EA only did so on the understanding that the WiiU would use Origin as central to their eShop presence.  Nintendo bailed out of that deal and built their own system, leaving EA out of it while still using what they learned from EA to benefit themselves.

#39 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4313 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sora278"]

GunSmith1_basic

If I recall correctly, EA was pissed off at Nintendo because Nintendo used them to help develop their online system, and EA only did so on the understanding that the WiiU would use Origin as central to their eShop presence.  Nintendo bailed out of that deal and built their own system, leaving EA out of it while still using what they learned from EA to benefit themselves.

Honestly, we probably would have been better off had Origin been Nintendo's online system. At least then we would have content tied to accounts instead of systems.
#40 Posted by DaBrainz (7721 posts) -
The install base just isn't there. Too bad because the WiiU had the best version of Madden 13.
#41 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -
The install base just isn't there. Too bad because the WiiU had the best version of Madden 13.DaBrainz
The gamepad features sound cool.
#42 Posted by KBFloYd (14575 posts) -

maybe if wiiU turns it around this holiday ea will come back...

they'll still give us gimped ports but at least thats something.

#44 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -
EA is dumb, and should be hated. Amanda671
Nuh-uh.
#45 Posted by Blaz3_fox (193 posts) -
[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

Toxic-Seahorse
YEah. It's DEFINITELY not the fact that the Wii U si selling poorly and revious 3rd party games haven't sold all that well.
It's no big loss, EA isn't all that great since after N64.BigBen11111
I highly disagree with that but to each his own. Mass Effect Series Crysis 1 DA: Origin Burnout Series Battlefield Series Mirror's Edge You have to admit that those are some quality games, regardless if you like them or not.

Burnout has been terrible since Revenge, mass effect 3 is available on Wii U, Crysis is really not that great and Crytek have confirmed CryEngine is running on Wii U, Battlefield is still best on pc and Mirror's Edge I'll give to you was a good game, but I doubt DICE will be releasing it any time soon, I imagine they'll have their hands full with BF4
#46 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -
I'd love to play Battlefield with Wii remote and nunchuk controls.
#47 Posted by KBFloYd (14575 posts) -

I'd love to play Battlefield with Wii remote and nunchuk controls.Avatar_Taxidous

maybe we get a gimped BF4 or BF3 port next november...as long as it has wiimote controls im good.

if wiiU sells.

#48 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -

[QUOTE="Avatar_Taxidous"]I'd love to play Battlefield with Wii remote and nunchuk controls.KBFloYd

maybe we get a himped BF4 or BF3 port next november...

if wiiU sells.

Yeah if the Wii U starts selling well I'd expect Battlefield to land on the platform at some point. But will they have the sense to include Wii remote and nunchuk controls... (they didn't with Mass Effect 3, which I would have loved!).
#49 Posted by KBFloYd (14575 posts) -

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

[QUOTE="Avatar_Taxidous"]I'd love to play Battlefield with Wii remote and nunchuk controls.Avatar_Taxidous

if wiiU sells.

Yeah if the Wii U starts selling well I'd expect Battlefield to land on the platform at some point. But will they have the sense to include Wii remote and nunchuk controls... (they didn't with Mass Effect 3, which I would have loved!).

mass effect was a single player mostly game...

Battlefield is completely reliant on shooting skills in multiplayer....it should definitely have wiimote support.

#50 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4407 posts) -

[QUOTE="Avatar_Taxidous"][QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

if wiiU sells.

KBFloYd

mass effect was a single player mostly game...

Battlefield is completely reliant on shooting skills in multiplayer....it should definitely have wiimote support.

I'm with you there. It was unfortunate to see GoldenEye Legends get no Wii remote support, that was a sin.