Why is New Super Mario Bros. Wii Still $50

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by kyosukeugc (1407 posts) -

The lowest I've seen this game is on Wal-Mart's website for $40, but it's still for the most part $50 after 4 years.... 

Shouldn't Nintendo have done a price drop by now or added it to their esstential collection?

#2 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
Because people still buy it for $50.
#3 Posted by QuebecSuperstar (4177 posts) -

Because people still buy it for $50.Rod90

This. As long as people will buy it at that price, they don't have any reason to drop the price.

#4 Posted by Djmaster214 (3236 posts) -

nintendo games always stay high

#5 Posted by Pierst179 (10746 posts) -

Because Nintendo games are so awesome they are able to sell for the original price even many years after their release when plenty of copies are still around.

It's either that or Nintendo is purely evil. :P

#6 Posted by wiifan001 (18374 posts) -

That's just Wal Mart being Wal Mart.

#7 Posted by Minishdriveby (9738 posts) -
Amazon has it for $38 and $23 used.
#8 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
$34.99 on GameStop and lower on ebay.
#9 Posted by superbuuman (2683 posts) -

Cause games by Nintendo rarely (almost never) drop in price. :P

#10 Posted by despa1r_fact0r (24609 posts) -
Because they haven't made a Player's Choice Line for WiiU yet.
#11 Posted by Lyphe2k (3385 posts) -
Mario Kart DS is still $34.99...
#12 Posted by ItsEvolution (2593 posts) -
For the same reason 8 year old DS Mario games are still full retail.
#13 Posted by rubber-chicken (2067 posts) -
Hey, it's still $60 here in Canada. I don't know why, most other Wii games are $50 anyway.
#14 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

Because people still buy it for $50.Rod90

Exactly what I came here to say. It's not rocket science, people.

#15 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4314 posts) -

Cause games by Nintendo rarely (almost never) drop in price. :P

superbuuman
True dat.
#16 Posted by EnoshimaJunko (196 posts) -

I just don't get why they keep calling them "New" Super Mario Bros. It not that new anymore. Not when you've made 4 of them, all with "New' in the title. And they're really just nicer looking versions of the old Super Mario Bros anyway, so the concept is hardly new either.

But people love their side-scrolling Mario platformers, so companies are like "hey, why should we lower the price?"

#17 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4626 posts) -

1. Because people still buy it for that price gladly

2. Because it's well worth $50

#18 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

How many copies does this game arleady sold? Thirty million copies worldwide?

#19 Posted by JordanElek (17761 posts) -

I just don't get why they keep calling them "New" Super Mario Bros. It not that new anymore. Not when you've made 4 of them, all with "New' in the title. And they're really just nicer looking versions of the old Super Mario Bros anyway, so the concept is hardly new either.

But people love their side-scrolling Mario platformers, so companies are like "hey, why should we lower the price?"

EnoshimaJunko
Same reason we still call it New England or New Mexico. That's just its name.
#20 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9523 posts) -

Because you went to Wal-mart probably. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think Wal-Mart sells a lot of pre-owned games. I think if you went to GameStop or searched Amazon, you would find a much better price.

#21 Posted by mariokart64fan (19379 posts) -

because its that good , and , why is black ops 2 still 60 ,  with what little it offers id choose nsmbw over it any day lol  by the way marioparty 4 at gamestop still retails for 39.99 if you find a copy lol , even with 5 6 7 8 and 9 out 

#22 Posted by superbuuman (2683 posts) -

The lowest I've seen this game is on Wal-Mart's website for $40, but it's still for the most part $50 after 4 years.... Shouldn't Nintendo have done a price drop by now or added it to their esstential collection?kyosukeugc
your prayer has been answerred http://au.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-cuts-price-on-new-super-mario-bros-wii-6414141

#23 Posted by Avatar_Taxidous (4314 posts) -

[QUOTE="kyosukeugc"]The lowest I've seen this game is on Wal-Mart's website for $40, but it's still for the most part $50 after 4 years.... Shouldn't Nintendo have done a price drop by now or added it to their esstential collection?superbuuman

your prayer has been answerred http://au.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-cuts-price-on-new-super-mario-bros-wii-6414141

Yup and (in North America I think) Mario Galaxy 2 and Wii Sports Resort are also being dropped to $30. http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=211664
#24 Posted by RatedSTARZ (249 posts) -

Lol that's Nintendo for you :P. They don't like the idea of lowering the price of their games xD. I think Melee is still ike $35 dollars, and Brawl is still like $50 :P.

#25 Posted by Randolph (10470 posts) -
They don't like the idea of lowering the price of their gamesRatedSTARZ
Why would they lower the price of games that people are still buying at new prices? Games don't get price cuts because the publishers are trying to be nice to you, they lower prices when the games sales numbers start to go south. Nintendo games have long legs at retail, and thus tend to retain value for longer periods of time, as opposed to all of the AAA blockbuster big budget games on other systems that have all of two weeks to sale about 95% of what their games lifetime sales will be before it tanks completely and has to have it's price cut in half. (or more) Their are Nintendo games that do tank at retail and get quick price crops. S&P Star Successor, Kirby Yarn, and Metroid: Other M being prime examples. They dropped to next to nothing bargain prices quickly for a reason, likewise their is a good reason why NSMB Wii and Galaxy 2 only just got price drops.
#26 Posted by thedude- (2069 posts) -

Simply because......it can. It is still selling well. nintendo games sell well on a long term basis.

#27 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -
Well, now it's $30 along with Super Mario Galaxy 2 & Wii Sports Resort. http://www.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-cuts-price-on-new-super-mario-bros-wii-6414141
#28 Posted by lluiser (9 posts) -

I saw a brawl with the same price just a few days ago.

#29 Posted by RatedSTARZ (249 posts) -

nintendo games always stay high

Djmaster214
Yup I agree with this guy right here. Nintendo games rarely do price drops :(
#30 Posted by Solaryellow (463 posts) -
Good luck finding SMG2. I haven't seen a copy on the shelves in months.