Why does the bottom half of the 3DS XL damage the screen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Pffrbt (6565 posts) -

I like to take good care of my handhelds, so I'm very careful to not let the screen get damaged. I didn't think this would be too difficult since I can just close it and the screen will be protected, but now I noticed little marks appearing on the top screen along where it'd be touching the edges of the bottom screen. I tried to wipe them off with a lint free cloth but they won't come off so I guess they're tiny scratches. They're difficult to notice while playing but it still pisses me off.

#2 Posted by Blabadon (26641 posts) -
Wait, I thought the XL model fixed this issue? It pisses me off when this happens with the original model.
#3 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26185 posts) -

Don't let it slam closed, don't slam it closed (gently close it,) don't put anything on top of it, and make sure to keep the 3DS clean. There's no reason for scratches to appear unless there's force being applied to one side or the other. Marks/smudges, maybe, but definitely not scratches.

#4 Posted by Pffrbt (6565 posts) -

I haven't been slamming it closed and I have been keeping it clean. The only thing that could cause it is from putting it in my pocket which is what it's suppose to be f*cking designed for. My jeans aren't even tight.

#5 Posted by bloom467 (192 posts) -
I figured it would get damaged so since day 1 I keep the foam sheet in between the screens and its kept up mint shape. Unfortunately it's poor design.
#6 Posted by mariokart64fan (19522 posts) -

i never had scratches on my 3ds xl until it fell on the floor and broke entirely so ya it seams to be either force or something cause  i never had scratches on the xl 

#7 Posted by simomate (1859 posts) -

I like to take good care of my handhelds, so I'm very careful to not let the screen get damaged. I didn't think this would be too difficult since I can just close it and the screen will be protected, but now I noticed little marks appearing on the top screen along where it'd be touching the edges of the bottom screen. I tried to wipe them off with a lint free cloth but they won't come off so I guess they're tiny scratches. They're difficult to notice while playing but it still pisses me off.

Pffrbt
Isnt it obvious?  Its a design flaw. Notice how the bottom half of the 3DS has that sharp box like thing surrounding the bottom screen and the bumper thing thats suppose to stop the top screen from colliding with the sharp box doesnt work properly.
#8 Posted by Pffrbt (6565 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

simomate

Isnt it obvious? Its a design flaw. Notice how the bottom half of the 3DS has that sharp box like thing surrounding the bottom screen and the bumper thing thats suppose to stop the top screen from colliding with the sharp box doesnt work properly.

The topic is about a 3DS XL, not a 3DS. I would've hoped they would've learned from this mistake the first time, but I guess not.

#9 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11419 posts) -
Never happened to my XL and I take it everywhere. My regular 3DS on the other hand got really messed up from the bottom screen. I hadn't read about this issue on the XL before
#10 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

The issue is a lot better on the XL but it is not fixed entirely. It has happened to mine. I have since put a screen protector on it but the screen protector scratches even more readily than the screeen so while at least I am not further damaging the actual screen, I still have to look at scratches. I am hoping Nintendo will fix it under warranty like they did for my original 3DS.

For what it's worth, I think it gets scratched up being carried in my relatively loose fitting jeans pocket. Dirt gets trapped between the screens which acts as an abrasive. There is enough play in the hinges that the screens wiggle back and forth and rub against each other. Once I get it fixed, I am just going to keep a piece of cloth between the screens, which I now wish I had done from the beginning.

#11 Posted by simomate (1859 posts) -

[QUOTE="simomate"][QUOTE="Pffrbt"]

Pffrbt

Isnt it obvious? Its a design flaw. Notice how the bottom half of the 3DS has that sharp box like thing surrounding the bottom screen and the bumper thing thats suppose to stop the top screen from colliding with the sharp box doesnt work properly.

The topic is about a 3DS XL, not a 3DS. I would've hoped they would've learned from this mistake the first time, but I guess not.

Oh my bad. But still, thought they fixed it o_o
#12 Posted by rrjim1 (911 posts) -

I just purchased a 3DS XL a few weeks ago, the little bumpers hold the two sections apart by more than 1/8". There is not way the bottom would damage the top unless you slam it shut or drop something on it.

#13 Posted by Pffrbt (6565 posts) -

There is not way the bottom would damage the top unless you slam it shut or drop something on it.

rrjim1

Obviously there is since it happened without me slamming it or dropping anything on it.

#14 Posted by Zen_Light (1236 posts) -

It is impossible to keep handhelds totally clean and free from scratches/blemishes. Take any given handheld that has been used for more than a week out into the full sun and you'll see.

#15 Posted by simomate (1859 posts) -

It is impossible to keep handhelds totally clean and free from scratches/blemishes. Take any given handheld that has been used for more than a week out into the full sun and you'll see.

Zen_Light
I share my 3DS with a 5 yearold... so I try not to bring it into the sun... Its too scary :s haha
#16 Posted by Blabadon (26641 posts) -

Zen_Light
I dunno, my red 3DS still shines like a jewel.
#17 Posted by Superzone (3713 posts) -
Here's my tip: Get screen protectors when you buy a new handheld. I have protectors on both my 3DS and Wii U GamePad. It's maybe $10 for it but you'll never have to worry about scratches so the peace of mind is worth it.
#18 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

Here's my tip: Get screen protectors when you buy a new handheld. I have protectors on both my 3DS and Wii U GamePad. It's maybe $10 for it but you'll never have to worry about scratches so the peace of mind is worth it.Superzone

I have Hori screen protectors on my XL now. While it protects the atual screen, the screen protectors themselves have scratches on them now (and scratch even more easily than the screen due to a tighter fit). Best solution is to put a piece of soft cloth inside your 3DS or maybe do both.

#19 Posted by fgjnfgh (2630 posts) -

TC your signature is disgusting

#20 Posted by bulby_g (1138 posts) -

After all the early comments about this I've always kept the mf cloth between my screens just in case.  Handy to have it with you anyway.

#21 Posted by Zach110o (1 posts) -
Did putting a cloth in between work?