Why does SSBB get 9.5 if the online doesnt work?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RE4WiiGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RE4WiiGirl
Member since 2007 • 1144 Posts
I heard people were raving about how the online doesnt work and the game is crap because of it ra ra ra...
Why doesnt the online work or whats wrong with it? I have no idea because I dont have it but just wondering why its 9.5 if the online doesnt work at all...?
-Sigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 -Sigil-
Member since 2008 • 556 Posts
Because its always put on a pedastal. Dont get me wrong, the game is good, but it doesnt deserve a 9.5... at all.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Not too sure about this, but didn't they review it before it was released? The reviewer may have had a good experience online? Or the reviewer was scared for his life and gave it a 9.5 regardless. :P
Avatar image for GCwasthebestsys
GCwasthebestsys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GCwasthebestsys
Member since 2007 • 430 Posts

video game rankings are all about fads and corporate lobbyist $$ (just check out how well every single EA game seems to do here and elsewhere)

mario kart is 10x better than SSBB mainly for the online issue (my opinion of course)

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The online works, just not well with random people

If you have friends it's fine

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
games arent judged by their online. if this was true, Melee would be 0.0 cause it didnt have any online
Avatar image for GCwasthebestsys
GCwasthebestsys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GCwasthebestsys
Member since 2007 • 430 Posts

btw, people still play this game?????

karting is where it's at

TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

They judged it based on Friends matches that still work well after the first match.

And random matches still work, the problem is you can't see anyones connection rate and you'll have to suffer through one fight with slowdown before you get the good fights in. Problem is, everybody drops after one fight.

Picklechugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Picklechugger
Member since 2004 • 1465 Posts

games arent judged by their online. if this was true, Melee would be 0.0 cause it didnt have any onlineair_wolf_cubed

that was stupid... a game can definitely be rated on it's online. If a game has online and it is terrible it can be docked. If a game could have used online, realistically, than it could be docked too. GC had terrible online, so it wouldn't make sense to dock Melee for online... atleast pick a better example...

nintendoman562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nintendoman562
Member since 2007 • 5593 Posts

Online worked when they were reviewing it because nobody was on. since nobody was on, they found their matches quickly and laglessly.

Link9n17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Link9n17
Member since 2008 • 1491 Posts

If the people have bad connections than you don't like playing with them, it isn't the games fault if it doesn't say "You have a bad connection you are going to have LAG so don't play"

Also they don't review games by there online play, if you don't want online play than don't do it, THATS THE BEAUTY OF GAMES GENIUSES!:x

Also name me one game that was porly reviewed because one of its features isn't as good as everyone expected? NONE I THOUGHT SO!!!

linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 linkyshinks
Member since 2006 • 1332 Posts
It's a great game and well worthy of it's 9.5, however for some reason US gamers have a nightmare connecting. I have a US import copy and a great Wi Fi connection and I rarely have any problems, in fact strangely my games with US players are better than those with fellow Euro players with a import copy like myself. Once the Euro connection is up I imagine it will be far better than the US one as they will have improved the network code. If that happens I am selling my US copy because playing with Euro players is more of a priority for me..
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Online worked when they were reviewing it because nobody was on. since nobody was on, they found their matches quickly and laglessly.

nintendoman562

WINNAR

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 air_wolf_cubed

[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"]games arent judged by their online. if this was true, Melee would be 0.0 cause it didnt have any onlinePicklechugger

that was stupid... a game can definitely be rated on it's online. If a game has online and it is terrible it can be docked. If a game could have used online, realistically, than it could be docked too. GC had terrible online, so it wouldn't make sense to dock Melee for online... atleast pick a better example...

ok then how bout....mario party ds
lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts
Maybe at the time he reviewed the game, the on-line was better, since it wasn't overflown with people tryig to go on-line.
Picklechugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Picklechugger
[QUOTE="Picklechugger"]

[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"]games arent judged by their online. if this was true, Melee would be 0.0 cause it didnt have any onlineair_wolf_cubed

Umm..you just proved yourself wrong, in "the bad" section of the review they say it was disappointing to have no online. This definitely affected the final review score. We'll never no how much, but to say that online was not considered in the review just isn't true.

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 air_wolf_cubed
[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"][QUOTE="Picklechugger"]

[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"]games arent judged by their online. if this was true, Melee would be 0.0 cause it didnt have any onlinePicklechugger

Umm..you just proved yourself wrong, in "the bad" section of the review they say it was disappointing to have no online. This definitely affected the final review score. We'll never no how much, but to say that online was not considered in the review just isn't true.

i rpvoed myself wrong? i used 0.0 as an example and the game got an 8.0
HyruleanLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HyruleanLink
Member since 2005 • 5221 Posts
I don't think a game is entirely based on its online function. This also provides lots of other modes that are playable. Yes, the random play mode is not great, but I have no problems while playing with friends.
Picklechugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Picklechugger
[QUOTE="Picklechugger"][QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"][QUOTE="Picklechugger"]

[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"]games arent judged by their online. if this was true, Melee would be 0.0 cause it didnt have any onlineair_wolf_cubed

i rpvoed myself wrong? i used 0.0 as an example and the game got an 8.0

You were trying to say that if they reviewed games and include online in the score, if a game didn't have online, it would get a 0? What kind of logic is that? If the SSBB online was bad at the time of the review it certainly could have gotten a score drop... to a 9.0 or maybe an 8.5... but to say that they would give a game a zero (an impossible score on gamespot) makes even less sense.

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 air_wolf_cubed

You were trying to say that if they reviewed games and include online in the score, if a game didn't have online, it would get a 0? What kind of logic is that? If the SSBB online was bad at the time of the review it certainly could have gotten a score drop... to a 9.0 or maybe an 8.5... but to say that they would give a game a zero (an impossible score on gamespot) makes even less sense.

Picklechugger
i was joking around
Picklechugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Picklechugger
[QUOTE="Picklechugger"]

air_wolf_cubed

i was joking around

Right...:roll: well bottom line, online play does come into consideration during a gamespot review

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts
The game is incredible in every other aspect and has nearly unlimited replay value.
w4rgasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#23 w4rgasm
Member since 2005 • 1253 Posts
Ocarina of Time got a 10 without any multiplayer at all.
BrooklynHotBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BrooklynHotBoy
Member since 2003 • 818 Posts

brawl should've gotten between an 8.0-8.5

it was rehashed with minor upgrades and online play is terrible.

Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts

Because it's a superb game...

GoDsSoN770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GoDsSoN770
Member since 2004 • 964 Posts
If online doesn't work, whos problem is that? I haven't had nearly as bad as an experience online as people are claiming to have had. The game requires everyone playing to be on the same page so that everything can run smooth and everything is fair. If one persons connection isn't on the same page, then everyone else suffers. This is the result you get when playing random, you don't know anything about who your playing against, so it can be hit or miss. Most of my random games have ran fine since I got the game (days after release). So to suggest this game's online doesn't work is just being ignorant. It works fine for me and many others.
air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 air_wolf_cubed
[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"][QUOTE="Picklechugger"]

Picklechugger

i was joking around

Right...:roll: well bottom line, online play does come into consideration during a gamespot review

so you think i wanted melee to get 0.0?
Tvac897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Tvac897
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts
The online is a work in progress give it time and the wii will be a GREAT platform for the online community.
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
Because they played it before it was released and before we broke it.
swampton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 swampton
Member since 2006 • 104 Posts
The game gets a 10 to me, and I don't even care if it were online or not. It is great for beginners like my wife who does not play these type of games, but she will play SSBB. It is great for the advanced players like me and my son who battle at-least an hour or two a day.
Link9n17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Link9n17
Amen brother!
If online doesn't work, whos problem is that? I haven't had nearly as bad as an experience online as people are claiming to have had. The game requires everyone playing to be on the same page so that everything can run smooth and everything is fair. If one persons connection isn't on the same page, then everyone else suffers. This is the result you get when playing random, you don't know anything about who your playing against, so it can be hit or miss. Most of my random games have ran fine since I got the game (days after release). So to suggest this game's online doesn't work is just being ignorant. It works fine for me and many others. GoDsSoN770
king23_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 king23_
Member since 2007 • 18169 Posts

They liked the single player?

Cow13_02_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cow13_02_basic
Member since 2002 • 4919 Posts
For me at least, Super Smash Bros. has always been about getting a few friends together and having a great time. As a non-splitscreen four-player game, you can get the full multiplayer experience on one console. I'd be fine if it didn't have any online mode, so I wouldn't take any points off for less-than-optimal online play.
Avatar image for UltimateXShadow
UltimateXShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 UltimateXShadow
Member since 2005 • 2312 Posts
The "random online match" feature always worked for me. I don't know why it doesn't work for other people.
Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts

BrooklynHotBoy

I would say more 7.0 - 7.5 actually.

Englando_IV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Englando_IV
Member since 2008 • 4334 Posts

I have a hypothesis:

The majority of people who think the score should be lower don't have friends who play Brawl.

GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
Because not everyone cares about online ;).
Jazunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jazunn
Member since 2007 • 666 Posts

I have a hypothesis:

The majority of people who think the score should be lower don't have friends who play Brawl.

Englando_IV

Correct in my case... The game fails to hold my attention on single player and my friends don't enjoy Brawl at all.

TheLordMagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TheLordMagnus
Member since 2006 • 3783 Posts
Online works for me. Its not flawless by any means, as there are disconnects, but the lag has really decreased for me. Once I am in a match I don't notice much lag. I think part of the problem is that the Wii is wireless, which is unreliable and most people don't know how to set it up properly to begin with.
X-Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 X-Remnant
Member since 2008 • 781 Posts
I think that would be a fine score even with no wifi, I mean, look at melee... It was still awesome.
prozack28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 prozack28
Member since 2006 • 735 Posts
here's the math. game get a 10. -.5 for crappy online. that equals 9.5. everyone good?
blakkfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blakkfire
Member since 2007 • 64 Posts

WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THE ONLINE IS HORRIBLE? During the first month Brawl came out, the online was atrocious I'll admit, but that was just because of massive online traffic. The online is perfectly fine right now! I don't remember a time I have had a basic brawl with lag at all! If you don't mind waiting about 3-8 min's for a match, you'll be hooked for about 15 minutes worth of matches. Another thing is that when you find an online match, the Wii makes a clunky noise. Now usually i would find this extremely annoyinng, but you can also watch a bit of TV until you find a match. The online is perfectly fine guys, so stop whining, and if you haven't played online in the past 2 months, then please don't complain about it.

Link9n17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Link9n17
Thank you, EXACTLY!

WHY DO PEOPLE THINK THE ONLINE IS HORRIBLE? During the first month Brawl came out, the online was atrocious I'll admit, but that was just because of massive online traffic. The online is perfectly fine right now! I don't remember a time I have had a basic brawl with lag at all! If you don't mind waiting about 3-8 min's for a match, you'll be hooked for about 15 minutes worth of matches. Another thing is that when you find an online match, the Wii makes a clunky noise. Now usually i would find this extremely annoyinng, but you can also watch a bit of TV until you find a match. The online is perfectly fine guys, so stop whining, and if you haven't played online in the past 2 months, then please don't complain about it.

blakkfire
thegreatest641

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thegreatest641
Member since 2007 • 184 Posts
y do people worry bout wat score a game get.. the only wat ur kno is if u play it ur self, but i think it deserve a 9.5 cuz it a good game, it 1 of nintendo biggest games.. people play ssbb more then mk wii that supise me
Mr_Apple_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mr_Apple_Soup
Member since 2006 • 3580 Posts

The Nintendo Gamecube had online!? NO WAI!!

Mr_Apple_Soup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mr_Apple_Soup
Member since 2006 • 3580 Posts
[QUOTE="BrooklynHotBoy"]

Jazunn

I would say more 7.0 - 7.5 actually.

no idea where either of you guys are coming from with those statements....

argotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 argotto
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

It is a sad thing to see how so many people in the world now literally NEED online play to enjoy a game. I realize many of you may be kids, and some of you are not, but if you are a veteran gamer of any kind, you know what I am talking about.

Games use to be played for fun, to pass the time in an enjoyable way. They were exciting. But over the past few years, competition has been the #1 priority for many gamers.. I love pitting myself against others in any game I can, its fun, dont get me wrong, but when it starts becoming a needed feature in every game coming out now, it takes away from everything else.

No one here can sit there and tell me gaming hasn't been getting worse and worse over there past 4 years; the only thing that has improved is graphics, and personally I'm sick of it. Rating a game by its online? This game has been great for many things other than that. Can you honestly tell me that unless you can prove yourself to be a better gamer then the game is not worth playing? Well if that is the case, then "get a life" seems like the right thing to say now.

This game did leave out a few things I would have liked to see, but they added far more than most games have to offer, and imo that should have gotten it a higher score. Thats not to say it doesn't have its flaws, but I think you get what I mean.

CHAtotheRLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CHAtotheRLES
Member since 2008 • 79 Posts
online works well with friends
cafccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 cafccc
Member since 2005 • 652 Posts
Ok, im so tired of people comnplaining about online play, i dont have wi-fi right but i love SSBB and it deserved the 9.5 with its non online features, why would you wanna ahve online Brawl anyways, you cant even taunt your friends in real live without a phone and you cant realy make any rules. Brawl is a multiplayer game in the formost, it was not created to be simply online multiplayer, thats why non online people have special brawl and co-op in almost every single mode.
J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

Online isn't the only thing about a game that can make it good. And once I get a match (sometimes after long waiting I'll admit) The people in the match will keep playing forever. Once I went for at least an hour on one set of players before I finally rotted from too much playing. (lol)

If all you people buy games for is online nowadays, I'm agreeing with the guy with the long post a few above me that mentions the statement GET A LIFE! Tour the country, learn things, read! Don't waste your life playing nothing but videogames! If I get flamed at I don't care!