Why do people ask for a Super Mario World sequel...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

...when New Super Mario Bros. U is basically that?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Technically, the sequel is Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

This.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the NSMB series. I can play SMW over and over and never get tired of it. The same can't be said of the NSMB games.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 93BlackHawk93

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I mean in the vein of gameplay and design.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 93BlackHawk93

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

This.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the NSMB series. I can play SMW over and over and never get tired of it. The same can't be said of the NSMB games.

This what I don't get. NSMBU got everything SMW has plus more power-ups, NSLU and better graphics. The music is worse though.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

It's because some people are never satisfied. They want games that give them the same experience as the games they treasured during their childhood, but whines about the smallest things because being an adult made them more critical.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#7 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@ANIMEguy10034:

That. Imo, as someone who grew up with Mario on NES and SNES like many others, I personally think... The New Super Mario Bros. games are amazing. In fact, I probably like them a lot more than those old games because it pretty much modernized Mario.

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts

@Ovirew: I completely agree with you. Nostalgia plays a huge role for people too. Some can never be pleased by the modern marios, but I think they have all been damn good games.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

Super Mario World was one of the most balanced platformers ever made. That's pretty much how the NSMB games are designed. Personally I would have prefered the 16 bit artistic style to the "new" 2.5D style. SNES games have aged well artistic wise.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#10 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

This.

This what I don't get. NSMBU got everything SMW has plus more power-ups, NSLU and better graphics. The music is worse though.

I disagree, but to each his own. I find SMW to be more challenging and have superior level design. I get bored quickly with the NSMB series with the lack of challenge I routinely find. Right now, in NSMBU, I'm running around with 70+ lives. That is something I could never do in SMW, which I downloaded for the Wii U virtual console and replayed.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 93BlackHawk93

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

This.

I disagree, but to each his own. I find SMW to be more challenging and have superior level design. I get bored quickly with the NSMB series with the lack of challenge I routinely find. Right now, in NSMBU, I'm running around with 70+ lives. That is something I could never do in SMW, which I downloaded for the Wii U virtual console and replayed.

Fair enough.

Btw, running around with 70+ lives was something I could do in SMW.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

There was a sequel to Super Mario World on the Super Nintendo. Yoshi's Island Super Mario world 2.

The New Super Brothers series is a different series While the Yoshi's Island seems to have turned into a series of it's own with DS and 3DS installments

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

This.

Right now, in NSMBU, I'm running around with 70+ lives. That is something I could never do in SMW, which I downloaded for the Wii U virtual console and replayed.

Here's how to max out your lives early on in SMW. And the original SMB, and SMB 3. It seems Mario games have never truly been a challenge if we're talking about the life counts. ;)

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#14 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

I honestly see no correlation between the number of lives one can have during the game and its difficulty.

The difficulty should be in the level design, not in the fact you have seen the "Game Over" screen. Getting a "Game Over" screen is pretty much meaningless nowadays, because all it does is make you lose the checkpoint of the stage you are in.

Back on the NES and SNES days it would either send you back to the beginning of the game, to the beginning of the world or to the last castle/mansion you cleared. It was a severe punishment, but one that - especially on the NES days - was ridiculously frustrating and was simply used to extend the length of games that were short due to storage problems.

With that being said, New Super Mario Bros U is a challenging game. It is no Lost Levels, but it gets progressively harder and clearing the stages, finding the secret exits and collecting all the coins takes a good deal of skill.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#15  Edited By chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Because Super Mario World 2 Yoshis Island is the sequel even though it takes place before Mario World it is the follow up.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#16 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

It's because some people are never satisfied. They want games that give them the same experience as the games they treasured during their childhood, but whines about the smallest things because being an adult made them more critical.

This man speaks the truth. SMW is an amazing game, easily one of the best Mario games and 2D platformers ever. But what exactly is wrong with the newer 2D games?? you can not prefer the art style, but mechanically they are pretty much the same; well designed platformers with lots of secrets and power ups. The NSMB games are structured in very much the same way as SMW. It just comes down to the look, which I can understand some people being put off by. But to discredit the new games simply because they aren't SMW is silly and ignorant.

This is opposed to say someone wanting another 2D Metroid like Super Metroid. Technically there are 2D games after Super, but they are much more guided than Super. When people say they want another game like Super Metroid, they want a much more open, player based game and not a more guided game.

When someone says they want a SMW sequel more than NSMB, they basically want different graphics.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

While U was in many ways, a good successor to SMW, the audio and visuals of the NSMB series have always been divisive among fans.

Personally I find NSMB, NSMB Wii, NSMB 2, and NSMB U to all have a bland audio/visual palate. U was more visually appealing than the others.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said: