Why are YOU excited for Project P-100?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -

This game is being directed by the man who directed Resident Evil 2, and created Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, and Bayonetta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideki_Kamiya). The producer for this game is also the same producer for Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, and the superb Vanquish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atsushi_Inaba). This is enough to get me intrigued in the game and have faith in it, but I look at the gameplay and I just keep hoping there's more to it than what I've seen.

I know you can create a bunch of different weapons with your heroes and things like that, but I still look at it and just go "Looks good, but looks like it will get repetitive." I know the same could be said for DMC, VJ, and Bayonetta when we first saw those games, so I'm hoping this will be a similar case where it looks like it could get repetitive, but it actually will change or vary the gameplay enough to never make it feel stale. So I'm still on the fence, but I'm leaning towards cautious optimism/excitement. Push me over the fence. Tell me why you're looking forward to it and don't just say "I'm not." If you don't care about Project P-100, at least state why you think it won't be good.

#2 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4702 posts) -

Project P-100 is actually one of those Wii U games I shamefully overlooked. After reading your first paragraph, I started to watch some gameplay videos. It looks interesting. Like a combination of Pikmin and the Green Lantern. :P

Oh wow! I just finished watching one of the longer gameplay videos and that boss looked really fun! :o Why didn't Nintendo show more of this?

#3 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -
I'm not excited but I am interested. Looks like it could be a fun game.
#4 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -
It's Platinum Games, they made Bayonneta and Vanquish, both top qulaity games.
#5 Posted by GamerEye (1670 posts) -

It looks very original. While the graphics aren't the best, the graphics style is rather interesting. I think I'll like this game.

#6 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3588 posts) -

Can't really say that I'm excited at all, honestly. That's NOT to say that I don't think the game will be good, however. I just have my reasons for not really looking forward to the game itself.

First off, the RTS genre for me is one I play when a specific mood, so this is not a game I'd be running to pick up to begin with. But moreso than that, while the game's superhero-like theme gives it room for creativity, I just find the game itself to look unimpressive. I can appreciate stylized visuals as much as anyone, but Project P-100 looks like a game that looks bad by last gen standards, if you ask me. Considering that it'll have a similar game in Pikmin 3 to deal with also doesn't help its appeal at all (although I haven't found Pikmin 3 to look very mind-blowing, either).

As for Platinum Games, I certain respect the developer's pedigree, but I must be honest in saying that I haven't enjoyed its games nearly as much as a lot of people seem to have. I own Viewtiful Joe 1&2, along with Bayonetta, and while I've had enjoyable moments with them, they didn't have the kind of appeal that stuck with me as other similar games from other developers. My brief experience with Okami was also one I didn't enjoy as much as I would have hoped. So because of that, I really can't help but feel Project P-100 will be another one of Platinum's titles that will feel, for the lack of a better term, second-rate to me.

Anyways, it's just my take on the matter. Take it for what you will. *shrugs*

#7 Posted by knuckl3head (908 posts) -

Push me over the fence. Tell me why you're looking forward to it and don't just say "I'm not." If you don't care about Project P-100, at least state why you think it won't be good.

homegirl2180

1.) Why do you feel the need to force yourself into liking it? If the game itself doesn't interest you enough that should be it. What does it matter if 20 other people like or dislike it.

2.) I'm not interested and while I don't really have any specific reasons not to like it I also don't see anything to be excited about either.

#8 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
Platinum Games=instant buy. They haven't let me down yet.
#9 Posted by Sepewrath (28689 posts) -

Oh wow! I just finished watching one of the longer gameplay videos and that boss looked really fun! :o Why didn't Nintendo show more of this?

ANIMEguy10034
There was a lot of it shown at E3, stage demos and all that, don't know how you missed all that :P
#10 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -

[QUOTE="homegirl2180"]

Push me over the fence. Tell me why you're looking forward to it and don't just say "I'm not." If you don't care about Project P-100, at least state why you think it won't be good.

knuckl3head

1.) Why do you feel the need to force yourself into liking it? If the game itself doesn't interest you enough that should be it. What does it matter if 20 other people like or dislike it.

2.) I'm not interested and while I don't really have any specific reasons not to like it I also don't see anything to be excited about either.

I'm not trying to force myself into liking it; don't put words into other people's mouths. I simply wanted to know why everyone else was excited about it, because I look at it and it doesn't seem as impressive to me, but perhaps others have seen more than I have and they can better state why they are looking forward to it.

There's nothing wrong in asking "Why do you (think you'll) like this game?"

#11 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

Well I'm not particularly excited for it, so...

#12 Posted by meetroid8 (21139 posts) -
It's Platinum Games, that's why everyone should be excited for it.
#13 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

It is a new IP from Nintendo.

It is developed by Platinum Games and it is directed by Hideki Kamiya and produced by Atsushi Inaba; the last two series they worked on together as Director and Producer respectively were the Viewtiful Joe series and Okami.

#14 Posted by JollyGreenOne (955 posts) -

I wouldn't say I'm "excited", but I'm definitely looking forward to Project P-100. I've never played anything made by Platinum and I'd still be interested even if it wasn't published by Nintendo, so it's not because of either of them -- I just think it looks like it could be a fun action adventure/beat-'em-up.

Gameplay wise I think if you enjoy beat-'em-ups or action games you'll probably enjoy this, they've also shown some platforming and puzzle elements that should help add a bit of gameplay variety, and the multiplayer looks nice too. Graphically I think P-100 looks pretty solid, it's art style is very clean, crisp and colorful -- there's also a ton of stuff going on at once, all while it's running at 60 frames-per-second. There is no way a last generation system could handle this game, at least not without a major downgrade.

plateenumz2prf.giflotsofirerjrvi.gif

And these are just 2 low quailty gifs from the first level.

[QUOTE="ANIMEguy10034"]

Sepewrath

There was a lot of it shown at E3, stage demos and all that, don't know how you missed all that :P

Yeah. Project P-100 wasn't shown during their presentation, but there was a good amount of hands-on impressions and gameplay demos during E3/June.

First off, the RTS genre for me is one I play when a specific mood, so this is not a game I'd be running to pick up to begin with.

Madmangamer364

I understand the comparisons to Pikmin, but this isn't a RTS game.

#15 Posted by nini200 (9587 posts) -
Platinum games only disaster for me was Viewtiful Joe. I tried my hardest to like that game but it was just utter crap in my opinion. Other than that, they're a decent developer. I was interested in this game because of the gameplay though not the developer.

I actually played it at the WiiU event that was here not too long ago and it's REALLY fun. I will be picking it up when it releases.
#17 Posted by Sokol4ever (6304 posts) -

It looks interesting, keeping my eyes on it.

#18 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -

Platinum games only disaster for me was Viewtiful Joe. I tried my hardest to like that game but it was just utter crap in my opinion. Other than that, they're a decent developer. I was interested in this game because of the gameplay though not the developer.nini200

I believe you're thinking of Clover, which is understandable since Platinum Games was founded in the wake of Clover's demise. Still, you can't say that they are the same studio, just like Square-Enix was not the same as Squaresoft after the merger.

#19 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3588 posts) -

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

First off, the RTS genre for me is one I play when a specific mood, so this is not a game I'd be running to pick up to begin with.

JollyGreenOne

Ok... RTS-ish, then? :P Can't say that the genre isn't a source of inspiration for this game, regardless of what it may actually classify itself.

#20 Posted by JollyGreenOne (955 posts) -

[QUOTE="JollyGreenOne"]

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

Madmangamer364

Ok... RTS-ish, then? :P Can't say that the genre isn't a source of inspiration for this game, regardless of what it may actually classify itself.

I know the inspiration is probably there, but the comparison is superficial.

Unlike in Pikmin where you control a large group of characters; with a focus on micromanaging each one -- Project P-100 has you control a large singular unit that can only attack together so there's no need to micromanage, similar to an action or beat-'em-up game. There's going to be strategy in deciding how you want to attack an enemy, and figuring out the fastest way to clear missions for the best score, but that's not exclusive to the RTS genre as you'll find those elements in action games too.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being picky, I've just seen a lot of people saying this is a RTS when it only looks a bit like one on the surface. It's an action game! :P

#21 Posted by Pierst179 (10746 posts) -

Because it is Pikmin on insane steroids.

#22 Posted by Anima_Artista (50 posts) -

Because it's an insane looking action game in Viewtiful joe's clothing. This is the side of Platinum I love.

Looks a little low on poly's though, but that's an insignificant gripe. Hope the Wii U hits its technical stride sooner rather than later.

#24 Posted by manicfoot (2625 posts) -

Because it's Plaitunum Games. I love those guys. They make some of the most exciting, well designed and polished games around. They're fastly becoming one of my favourite developers. Project P-100 looks really cool and unique. Quite like the art style as well.

#25 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -

[QUOTE="Madmangamer364"]

[QUOTE="JollyGreenOne"]I understand the comparisons to Pikmin, but this isn't a RTS game.

JollyGreenOne

I know the inspiration is probably there, but the comparison is superficial.

Unlike in Pikmin where you control a large group of characters; with a focus on micromanaging each one -- Project P-100 has you control a large singular unit that can only attack together so there's no need to micromanage, similar to an action or beat-'em-up game. There's going to be strategy in deciding how you want to attack an enemy, and figuring out the fastest way to clear missions for the best score, but that's not exclusive to the RTS genre as you'll find those elements in action games too.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being picky, I've just seen a lot of people saying this is a RTS when it only looks a bit like one on the surface. It's an action game! :P

I agree that I'm also tired of seeing people compare it to Pikmin. Watching the gameplay of both for at least five seconds would show that any relation is tenuous at best.

#26 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3588 posts) -

Project P-100 has you control a large singular unit that can only attack together so there's no need to micromanage, similar to an action or beat-'em-up game.

JollyGreenOne

So unless I'm mistaken (and I very well could be), there's an incentive to keep this "large singular unit" whole for dealing with enemies, while possibly having it 'separate' for other tasks, correct? If true, that still would make it closer to RTS than an action game, as there is still a balancing act to be had in order to maximize the unit's effectiveness, as opposed to just simply attacking foes at will, which is the case in most standard action games and beat-'em-ups.

You're making a fair point, though, especially since action games are already Platinum's primary genre. However, it's not very difficult to see why the game is being called an RTS by most people, and I still don't think it's too off-base. But... I'm really in no position to debate this one, so you win. :P

#27 Posted by Anima_Artista (50 posts) -

[QUOTE="JollyGreenOne"]

Project P-100 has you control a large singular unit that can only attack together so there's no need to micromanage, similar to an action or beat-'em-up game.

Madmangamer364

So unless I'm mistaken (and I very well could be), there's an incentive to keep this "large singular unit" whole for dealing with enemies, while possibly having it 'separate' for other tasks, correct? If true, that still would make it closer to RTS than an action game, as there is still a balancing act to be had in order to maximize the unit's effectiveness, as opposed to just simply attacking foes at will, which is the case in most standard action games and beat-'em-ups.

You're making a fair point, though, especially since action games are already Platinum's primary genre. However, it's not very difficult to see why the game is being called an RTS by most people, and I still don't think it's too off-base. But... I'm really in no position to debate this one, so you win. :P

The many on screen characters and how they transform into attacks are for aesthetic purposes, power increasing purposes and variety only. It's obviously an action game. Think, what have all of Platinum's games, and Clover's for that matter, been?

Even Vanquish was more action and style than shooting.

#28 Posted by JollyGreenOne (955 posts) -

[QUOTE="JollyGreenOne"]

Madmangamer364

No. There haven't been any signs (whether from hands-on impressions, videos or Nintendo) that the heroes can separate to complete other tasks. The main reason you gather citizens is to make your 'Unite Attacks' more powerful; the group can also work together (lifting heavy objects, transforming into ladders, hang gliders, bridges, etc.) to clear obstacles, but so far none of what they've shown or said involves micromanagement. That's why I think the similarities to Pikmin are superficial at this point; I don't have any problems with the comparisons as long as people know it's not a RTS.

Watching this GameSpot Stage Demo should give everyone a better idea of how the game works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXgjGRY3S8E

And I wasn't trying to win anything, but... What do I win!? :P

#29 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
I got to play the game today at WiiU experience Denver and I had a blast. The graphics were much better than E3 led me to believe and it makes good use of the gamepad.
#30 Posted by homegirl2180 (7161 posts) -
No. There haven't been any signs (whether from hands-on impressions, videos or Nintendo) that the heroes can separate to complete other tasks. The main reason you gather citizens is to make your 'Unite Attacks' more powerful; the group can also work together (lifting heavy objects, transforming into ladders, hang gliders, bridges, etc.) to clear obstacles, but so far none of what they've shown or said involves micromanagement. That's why I think the similarities to Pikmin are superficial at this point; I don't have any problems with the comparisons as long as people know it's not a RTS.

Watching this GameSpot Stage Demo should give everyone a better idea of how the game works:

JollyGreenOne
That was a very extended demo. It also helped quell one of my fears. I saw that the weapons you make are done with the gamepad, and things like the hang glider are learned down the road. This is good, because I thought it was maybe that the sword was on the Y button, the gun on X, etc. The possibility of many (but hopefully not an overwhelming amount of) different attacks makes me feel the game won't be as "mindless" or "simple" as it seemed. You have successfully pushed me over the fence. You win!... Again! Your prize is still nothing.
#31 Posted by JollyGreenOne (955 posts) -

[QUOTE="JollyGreenOne"]No. There haven't been any signs (whether from hands-on impressions, videos or Nintendo) that the heroes can separate to complete other tasks. The main reason you gather citizens is to make your 'Unite Attacks' more powerful; the group can also work together (lifting heavy objects, transforming into ladders, hang gliders, bridges, etc.) to clear obstacles, but so far none of what they've shown or said involves micromanagement. That's why I think the similarities to Pikmin are superficial at this point; I don't have any problems with the comparisons as long as people know it's not a RTS.

homegirl2180

That was a very extended demo. It also helped quell one of my fears. I saw that the weapons you make are done with the gamepad, and things like the hang glider are learned down the road. This is good, because I thought it was maybe that the sword was on the Y button, the gun on X, etc. The possibility of many (but hopefully not an overwhelming amount of) different attacks makes me feel the game won't be as "mindless" or "simple" as it seemed. You have successfully pushed me over the fence. You win!... Again! Your prize is still nothing.

Yep. I'm sure they'll introduce more gameplay mechanics like the hang glider every once in a while to add some variety. And even if the attacks remain on the simple side it doesn't mean that the game will be mindless, because I'm sure if you go after the best scores, medals, times, etc -- you're going to need to put thought into using the 'simple' moveset effectively.

A good discussion is reward enough. :D