What would you change in a Wii U system redesign?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

I really think one way for Nintendo to turn around the Wii U is to redesign the system and controller. It has to become cheaper to produce. But what are you guys willing to give up? Not all of us would be upgrading anyway so this would be mostly aimed towards newcomers.

Things I'd recommend changing:

-A top loading disc drive might be cheaper to produce than the Wii U's slot loading drive

-Take out Wii retail playback, that also probably saves Nintendo money on paying royalty fees to use the DVD format

-Take out the SD card slot since its largely used for transferring Wii Shop Channel games. Merge the Wii Shop Channel and Wii U eShop together and have Wii owners who want to transfer their games download a Nintendo Network app or system update that ties their Wii Shop Channel downloads to their NN ID. That way they can simply redownload them when they get a Wii U and don't need the SD card slot to transfer stuff.

-Take away two USB ports, even the PS4 is getting by with just two so its odd that Nintendo gave the system 4,

-With a new, less glossy case that is made with cheaper plastics, Nintendo should swap out the 32GB flash memory (which likely costs them around $15-$20 per unit) for a 160GB-250GB laptop hard drive which likely costs the same amount. This may make the case a little bigger though. For reference most estimates point at 500GB hard drives costing $40 for the PS4 so 160GB/250GB should be significantly less than that, at least close to $20

-The Game Pad costs too much to make. Most estimates peg it at around $80 per controller. They've got to do something about this. Make the screen smaller, improve the triggers. Once again try to use cheaper plastic for it. Heck maybe even take out NFC since only Pokemon uses it to my knowledge. They've got to get the controller costs down to the $30-$50 range.

Those are the things I'd suggest altering about the system to get the production costs down. I really think they sooner they get to $199 the better, especially if they bundle it or release a $199 system around the release of Mario Kart or Smash Bros.

But what would you guys cut out in a potential Wii U redesign? The point of a system redesign is often to make it cheaper to produce and to increase profit margins so think with that mindset.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

They would have to redo the entire architecture.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I do agree that they need to find a way to make the controller cheaper without hindering the quality. It's the main reason why the console is much more expensive than the 360 and PS3 despite being a bit more powerful.

The-Butcher248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The-Butcher248
Member since 2012 • 466 Posts

You hit the nail on the head. I was thinking of a similar thread.

But yes... i think the system itself is fine (although i don't own one yet) But my gameplan would be to make the gamepad Optional, and use the pro controller as a main controller. That being said, now that the controller is optional.... I'd figure out a way to improve battery life, make it small, and more affordable. Then maybe sell it as a solo add-on product. So maybe 200$ for a base system with pro controller, and a add on tablet + game for 120-150$

Then i would GREATLY improve the virtual console. Again i haven't played the Wii U, but i saw the VC library and it was really weak. Not sure if what i saw was accurate, but it had like the same NES/SNES wii had. So first things first, I'd add a ton of n64 and Gamecube games.. Then i'd make sure i get the NES, SNES, Segea, Dreamcast, ETC is on there. THEN I'd be doing HD remakes for Nintendo Classics....Marios, Zeldas, Metroids, Double Dragons, Castlevanias, punch out, etc.. Make this your selling point and generate a lot of interest in the VC.

I know it's easier said that done... but they do these changes I could see them moving units like the Wii.

(I do want to get a Wii U, but my concern is the poor battery life, possible redesign/repackage, and lack of games at the moment)

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

This isn't cost-related, but my one problem with the gamepad is the rumble feature. It feels off-putting and is too loud. I'd...I don't know. I guess I would move the rumble mechanism closer to the handles?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@The-Butcher248 said:

You hit the nail on the head. I was thinking of a similar thread.

But yes... i think the system itself is fine (although i don't own one yet) But my gameplan would be to make the gamepad Optional, and use the pro controller as a main controller. That being said, now that the controller is optional.... I'd figure out a way to improve battery life, make it small, and more affordable. Then maybe sell it as a solo add-on product. So maybe 200$ for a base system with pro controller, and a add on tablet + game for 120-150$

Then i would GREATLY improve the virtual console. Again i haven't played the Wii U, but i saw the VC library and it was really weak. Not sure if what i saw was accurate, but it had like the same NES/SNES wii had. So first things first, I'd add a ton of n64 and Gamecube games.. Then i'd make sure i get the NES, SNES, Segea, Dreamcast, ETC is on there. THEN I'd be doing HD remakes for Nintendo Classics....Marios, Zeldas, Metroids, Double Dragons, Castlevanias, punch out, etc.. Make this your selling point and generate a lot of interest in the VC.

I know it's easier said that done... but they do these changes I could see them moving units like the Wii.

(I do want to get a Wii U, but my concern is the poor battery life, possible redesign/repackage, and lack of games at the moment)

if they get rid of the gamepad and lower the cost to 199 i think it will still sell the same.

also...there is an official nintendo battery that extends the life of the gamepad to 6/7 hours of life.

i bought mine here...free shipping http://www.yesasia.com/us/wii-u-gamepad-battery-pack-japan-version/1033491481-0-0-0-en/info.html

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

If the Wii U has a big enough library with a significant amount of AAA games, Nintendo could ditch the backwards compatibility and SD card support and save alot of money on manufacturing. I would never buy that because I like my consoles to have as many features as possible (that's why I still have the older Ps3 and 360) but it's a convincing alternative for casual gamers at least. I love the gamepad as it is but if improvements can be made while decreasing costs, then I'm all for it.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Nothing. Too buy a system off its looks means you have some serious problems. Other then making it have a Silver Color like the Gamecube or a fancy Zelda design or Smash Bros design it needs nothing. People bought an Xbox One yet it looks like a 1990's VCR. Looks of a system should not be a factor.

"The Game Pad costs too much to make. Most estimates peg it at around $80 per controller. They've got to do something about this. Make the screen smaller, improve the triggers. Once again try to use cheaper plastic for it. Heck maybe even take out NFC since only Pokemon uses it to my knowledge. They've got to get the controller costs down to the $30-$50 range."

You fail to realize that buying 4 controllers to max out a system before was $180 ($60 each) Cause 1 comes with the system. Wii U can only handle 2 Gamepads so if a 2nd was $100 that's still cheaper to max out the controllers for the Wii U. Plus everyone already has 4 Wii Remotes. Then their is the Pro Controller. So the controller is not an issue.

"Those are the things I'd suggest altering about the system to get the production costs down. I really think they sooner they get to $199 the better, especially if they bundle it or release a $199 system around the release of Mario Kart or Smash Bros."

$200 for an 8th Gen system? You literally have lost your mind. You want Nintendo to lose $200 per system? At $200 they are going BACKWARDS. Its the cheapest of the 3 8th gen systems. It works, it is getting games.

THE WORST IS OVER FOR THE WII U. Once you hit rock bottom you can only go up. Wii U will be fine. Games are the ONLY ISSUE FACT.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts
@Master_Of_Fools said:

"The Game Pad costs too much to make. Most estimates peg it at around $80 per controller. They've got to do something about this. Make the screen smaller, improve the triggers. Once again try to use cheaper plastic for it. Heck maybe even take out NFC since only Pokemon uses it to my knowledge. They've got to get the controller costs down to the $30-$50 range."

You fail to realize that buying 4 controllers to max out a system before was $180 ($60 each) Cause 1 comes with the system. Wii U can only handle 2 Gamepads so if a 2nd was $100 that's still cheaper to max out the controllers for the Wii U. Plus everyone already has 4 Wii Remotes. Then their is the Pro Controller. So the controller is not an issue.

The main issue is how the controller affects the Wii U's price, not the burden of having to buy a second gamepad, because there are currently no games that use two gamepads simultaneously. If they found a cheaper way to manufacture the gamepad with similar quality, they can easily chip off $20 - $30 off the Wii U console price, which can attract more customers (either casual or hardcore) to buy it. $20 - $30 may not seem like much, but it is something.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

It's always the software that determines the hardware success. At least that's the way it should go. I don't feel stripping the Wii U of it's current build is going to make the games better.

blaaksheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By blaaksheep
Member since 2006 • 135 Posts

When Super Smash Bros. Drops Nintendo should release the console without the gamepad and 2 pro controllers. then develop a smaller & cheaper gamepad a Lite* version. a gamepad half the size would be interesting.... The Gamepad mini?

Or maybe they could allow a 3DS to connect to the Wii U to use as a gamepad alternative?

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Dropping the gamepad would be a start if they're not gonna use/have no idea of what to do with it. Keeping it & not using it just seems a money waster..as it is costing the system money - I think it cost more than $100+ for the gamepad alone. Supporting 4 pro controllers - everyone is on equal play. is better as opposed to only 2 gamepads, 2 pro controllers? ...when they are going for a family oriented play. Let's see how they implement this on 3D World..if it ends up being not meaningful/doesn't add anything to it..then gamepad should be drop. :P

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I say let 3ds be used in placed of gamepad. I mean who doesn't have a 3ds at this point. I think it's kinda what they shoulda done at launch. A 3ds probably doesn't cost them much more to make than the gamepad they coulda had 2 skus. One with 3ds and one without of course they woulda needed a 2nd thumbstick or includes the addon

livinitup01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 livinitup01
Member since 2004 • 1245 Posts

Battery life, battery life, battery life!

1) The controller battery should last at least 10 hours.

2) Make the controller thinner perhaps

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Master_Of_Fools

#@ANIMEguy10034: Its been proven that the Price is NOT AN ISSUE. It was lack of games. In the UK stores were trying to sell Wii U's before for $200 and it did nothing. People are spending $400 and $500 on PS4's and Xbox One's. Wii U's could be $100 like the Wii Mini. That wont help. People buy a system when there are games they want on that System lol.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Master_Of_Fools

@superbuuman:

So then Nintendo wouldn't have innovated anything and Wii U would become a 7th Gen Xbox 360...yah...GREAT idea. The Gamepad IS AMAZING.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By superbuuman

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@superbuuman:

So then Nintendo wouldn't have innovated anything and Wii U would become a 7th Gen Xbox 360...yah...GREAT idea. The Gamepad IS AMAZING.

So much good that AMAZING gamepad is doing for Wii U right now is it? ...so what if its a 7th Gen hardware?...games matters..even games with great score is not selling well. The gamepad is costing the system..& as sales are indicating, no one wants it. A more unified controllers (4x pro controllers/ 4x improved wiimotes) would be better rather than having the do more work for different type of controllers mix (2x gamepad - this doesn't even exist yet, 2 pro controllers/2 wiimotes).:P

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Better specs with Gamecube controller.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

@farrell2k said:

I would have put a larger battery in the game pad and would have accepted EA's offer to make Origin the official online for the system. The WiiU would be doing so much better had Nintendo accepted EA's offer.

but then online would suck? They'd compromise everything that makes Nintendo great. Sure, let EA have more of a say but not that much

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 superbuuman

@bonesawisready5 said:

@farrell2k said:

I would have put a larger battery in the game pad and would have accepted EA's offer to make Origin the official online for the system. The WiiU would be doing so much better had Nintendo accepted EA's offer.

but then online would suck? They'd compromise everything that makes Nintendo great. Sure, let EA have more of a say but not that much

yea letting EA control of their online system, is not a good idea...I'd say Nintendo need to start learning from MS/Sony's online system, stop being stubborn or stupid by being different just for the sake of being different. Take the stuff that works incorporate into their own.

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

I would 1: Get rid of the SD Card Slot, simply because I can't imagine a lot of people use it. 2: try to make it quieter. 3: try to make room for either a larger HDD or an SSD, probably go for the SSD because I would imagine most consumers have gotten external HDD's.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I think the Wii-U is probably pretty cheap to develop already. The game pad is what brings the cost up.

I'd make it so that you can store and play games off the SD card. Save the users from buying a hard drive with a power cord.