What size for your external HDD?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Videodogg (12579 posts) -

I was tempted to get a 1 or even 2TB external harddrive, but i ended up getting a 500 gig drive instead. After 6 years i never filled up my xbox or ps3 harddrive and they are only 120 and 250GB. Do you think 500GB is enough for Wii U?

#2 Posted by AlmightyDerek (4144 posts) -

I was tempted to get a 1 or even 2TB external harddrive, but i ended up getting a 500 gig drive instead. After 6 years i never filled up my xbox or ps3 harddrive and they are only 120 and 250GB. Do you think 500GB is enough for Wii U?

Videodogg
It's enough for a long time. If you plan on buying every retail game digitally it would probably fill up after a few years as most Wii U games seem to be between 3-15GB each. I have a 250GB hard drive and right now I've used 22GB.
#3 Posted by marinevetstl (115 posts) -

That is perfect for size. 500 gig is great.

#4 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8518 posts) -
500gb old mybook drive I had laying around
#5 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Minimum 2TB.

Jokes. I'm probably just gonna shoot for 500-1000MiB.

#6 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

The external HDD I have is a WD My Passport Essential with 250 GB of space. I connect it to my Wii U via a Y cable I purchased from Newegg.com.

#7 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
Can you just use a big 3.0 USB? Like 32GB
#8 Posted by Videodogg (12579 posts) -

What is this y cable thing i keep hearing about and "powered" external hdd? Whats up with that? None of the external hdd i see on amazon or tigerdirect mention anything at all about power suppy for this external harddrives. I am so confused. Why did Nintendo have to pick the absolute hardest way to do something simple? somehow i dont think i will be able to use the drive i ordered from Tiger Direct without buying something else....right.

#9 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8518 posts) -
A Y cable uses 2 USB slots on the wiiu. If it doesn't have a wall power plug it needs 2 to get enough power to run.
#10 Posted by rubber-chicken (2070 posts) -
I seriously can't believe that the Wii U has like 32 gigs, and they'd expect casual gamers to play games without getting an external HDD.
#11 Posted by ArchoNils2 (6238 posts) -

I got 2TB, just wanted to have enough. I changed the PS3 HD 2 times because I ran out of space, so I wanted to make sure I got enough space :)

#12 Posted by KBFloYd (13791 posts) -

i got a 500GB....but a 1TB was just as cheap...maybe i should have got that...meh... i think 500GB will be more than enough..

#13 Posted by hooch1 (17 posts) -

I have a 1TB but thats just because I already had an Iomega laying around I could use.

#14 Posted by Heirren (17286 posts) -
500 gigs is small, IMO. You gotta go big, and just by once. I haven't got one for wiiu yet but it will certainly be 2tb. With GameCube and wii games likely hitting the eshop, in addition to wiiu games--better safe than sorry. There's also the possibility of using it as a media box. Music, movies, etc. I know other consoles can do this, but the gamepad puts it above the others for this feature IMO.
#15 Posted by AlmightyDerek (4144 posts) -

What is this y cable thing i keep hearing about and "powered" external hdd? Whats up with that? None of the external hdd i see on amazon or tigerdirect mention anything at all about power suppy for this external harddrives. I am so confused. Why did Nintendo have to pick the absolute hardest way to do something simple? somehow i dont think i will be able to use the drive i ordered from Tiger Direct without buying something else....right.

Videodogg
The reason the Wii U needs one of those is the USB drives on the Wii U are low powered, I guess to conserve energy. Most drives aren't externally powered but the whole y-cable thing is actually pretty easy. You can get one for a few bucks online and it just plugs into the USB port on the hard drive and then plugs into both ports on the back of the Wii U. It really isn't a big deal.
I seriously can't believe that the Wii U has like 32 gigs, and they'd expect casual gamers to play games without getting an external HDD.rubber-chicken
Are you saying that isn't big enough for casual gamers? The Kinect 360 bundle which is pretty much the definition of a casual console only has 4GB of internal storage. 32GB is enough for save files and a few downloaded games which is more than some people will need. Besides plugging a USB hard drive in is pretty easy. Easier than adding extra storage to the 360 or PS3.
#16 Posted by DaBrainz (7673 posts) -
I got the cheapest one they had at BB. 320gb for $50. Works good enough.