What should Nintendo do for the next console.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

So the Wii U is a solid system, but it is pretty obvious many fatal flaws were made with it. So lets just put together what Ninty should do next go around.

• The name. If they are going to stick with the Wii brand, I feel like the should go with Super Nintendo Wii, or something similar. They will have the brand recognition of Nintendo and Wii; as well as super indicating its an upgrade. I am sure the name can be done better, but that is just off the top of my head.
  • Backwards compatibility. If they can do Super Wii, Wii U, Wii, ( and hell even GC) games on one system; personally that will guarantee my day one purchase alone. All games, controllers, accessories, etc. useable.
  • Get third parties involved. Nintendo needs to get with the times. Find out what the great devs want to do, and make a system people will be excited to develop for.
  • Goes with the last, but the power. Talking to third parties should give people an idea of what the power should be on the Super Wii.
  • Online. Time to fully enter the digital age. Look at the competition and emulate some of the good things. Miiverse is a great unique thing, but stuff like party chat and on screen notifications are a must.
  • Virtual Console (and eshop) needs improved. Day one, all past purchases should be playable on the Super Wii without booting up an emulation of last gen menus. Have all VC games made already ported over and ready to go. Same with eshop titles.
  • Kind of goes with a better online, but make games account based; not system based.
  • Fans of imports would like region free.
  • Blu-ray/dvd player. Really, its 2014 and I can't watch movies or play cds on the Wii U? Da hell man.

What do you guys think?

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#2 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts
  • Provide a development environment with a robust set of tools that make creating software an easier process. For example, Nintendo should have an API that allows developers to include an invite-to-game system without having to write the whole thing themselves. I don't think voice chat is built in to the Wii U at the OS level, so they should include stuff like that as well.
  • Building off the prior, it needs to be powerful enough for 3rd parties. It doesn't have to be the most powerful thing on the market, but it shouldn't be a pain to port anything either.
  • Have a common OS for both handheld and home console platforms to make porting easier across the Nintendo hardware family. When designing, say, virtual console games for the handheld, it won't require so much work to port it over to the home console. The platforms become more cost-effective.
  • Scrap region locking
  • Proactively engage with 3rd parties to give them what they want to support the platform.
  • Backwards compatibility, as long as including it doesn't drive up hardware costs too much or gimp the hardware unnecessarily.
  • Online purchases should be tied to an account. Nintendo should merge Club Nintendo and the Nintendo Network IDs into one system. It makes no sense to have them separated.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

- Nintendo Nexus 8)

- BC with Wii U games (maybe Wii also, but I don't think they want to waste the silicon by putting both the Wii and Wii U gpu's in the new chipset, the cost would be pretty high.. but Iwata has stated they want to absorb Wii U's architecture for both the next handheld which means the Cpu's will be built from the Wii U's espresso chip)

- 4 - 5 (minimum) teraflops of GPU power, 32 gb's of RAM if they want it to be future proof and an 8 core variant of Wii U's cpu..

- Share games between handheld and console like they say they will

- Get rid of region locking (realistically, I don't think there's much chance of this i'm afraid)

- unified account system with cross buy as a standard (Idk about this one, if they do this it will be because they caved to consumers but I wouldn't count on it honestly, depends on how much people call them out on it)

- Actively reach out to multiplatform developers (I won't say 3rd party because they do this already for exclusives)

- Standard controller as norm with optional revamped wii mote and nunchuck controls

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

It's simple.

1) First they need to get rid of the Wii brand. It won't do them any good because the Wii mostly appeals to an audience that is no longer paying any attention. As for what they should call it, I don't really know. The name needs be simple and clear that it is Nintendo (therefore nothing like Gensis or Saturn). Nintendo Entertainment System (and Super Nintendo Entertainment Systems) were both Nintendo's best selling console and also had the best names. It needs to be something along those lines.

2) Second, they need good hardware. Don't gimp their next console like they did with both the Wii and the Wii U. They've made themselves infamous for having weak consoles and need to destroy this stigma.

3) No more region-locking. Seriously Nintendo, just no. Your current business strategy is obviously not working so take cues from your more successful competitors and remove region-locking. I'm living in Australia where there retail price is high as hell. ($80-90. Was worse last generation when it was $100) I'm actually drifting away from you because I can't afford to buy many of your games because THEY NEVER DROP IN PRICE EVER. I import from the UK when I get the chance, but I should have the freedom to import from wherever I want.) Speaking of price...

4) Reduce your prices for once. You can't tell me that Mario Galaxy 2 is still just as profitable as when it just came out?! I ended up buying it used because it is STILL $80!

5) Get system sellers that appeal greatly to a western audience. Nintendo at the moment is, for the most part, very niche. They produce games that appeal to a Japanese audience, but if they are going to continue their INTERNATIONAL business, they need to get the west on board to. This means multi-plats, third party developers etc. I hope I'm not misunderstanding anything, but they seem to have a lot of money at their disposal. Spend this. Make a lost for one generation to rebuild their reputation and GET THIRD PARTIES on board.

6) Build a better online infrastructure for adult gamers! The majority of gamers who buy consoles are adults. I'm sorry Nintendo, but it's true. You can't baby everyone anymore. A simple parental control system will do fine, just don't force it upon people.

7) It saddens me to say this, but you may have to ease down on innovations and gimmicks hardware wise. Look at the SNES. It sold wonderfully yet all it did was improve the graphics, sound etc. The Ps2 was one of the most basic consoles ever. It even used the exact same controller as its predecessor yet it was the best selling console of its generation. You know what kind of innovation will work though? Games. Make innovative games, not innovative hardware.

I can't think of anything else for now.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Get rid of the over focus on family friendly. Get 3rd parties support on board..if they do not wish so..then they need to get bigger, buy out more studios (Capcom) & get games release on their console at a decent rate (current rate is not acceptable). Use their old IPs ffs!! ..so many left in the dust.

As for hardware, I reckon they will just inject Wii U current hardware with steroid & make it run every game @ 1080p at 60fps. Drop the stupid Wii name. No super expensive controller (Wii U gamepad so expensive they won't even sell it) use & or update the Wii U pro controller - make it primary controller...no more weird controller or different way to play crap. :P

simuseb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8 simuseb2
Member since 2014 • 178 Posts

@mdk12345 said:

Nintendo 600, Super Nintendo 2? Anything without that crazy Wii name. I have a question. What was Nintendo thinking?

Is it a culture thing? I'm not being racist or anything, but what do Japanese people think of the name "Wii"?