What's Nintendo Up To?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

This is something I'm incredibly curious about, as Nintendo's main internal studios have nothing announced beyond May 30th's Mario Kart 8 release. So, I want to know what else they've got going on.

Of course, we know Aunoma's studio is working on Zelda U, and Sakuri is working on Smash Bros., but that leaves a good handful of other studios with nothing we know about...

What do you think they're working on? Do you think any of those games are coming out this year?

I have a hunch the Wii U's going to get a really interesting entry in the Pokemon franchise. It won't be an RPG, but I think we're getting a Pokemon game this year. What about you?

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I'm 72% sure they'll be dropping many major news during E3. I'm becoming cautiously optimistic. April is shaping up to be Smash Bros hype month with the upcoming direct, which should be confirming that release date and showing a lot of new goodies. May will most likely be dedicated to Mario Kart hype. E3 will only be a few days after Mario Kart's release, perfect time to finally show what every studio has been working on for later this year and early 2015.

I highly hope both X and Bayonetta are released this year. Those two games (aside from Smash Bros) seem to be closest to completion. There's no doubt that Zelda U will be revealed in June, but I really don't think it'll be released this year. It'll be a pleasant surprise if it did, but it does not seem like it. It's been far too long since we heard of Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, and I hope that project was not canned.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@ANIMEguy10034: Yeah, I'm pretty sure Zelda U will be 2015. I think if Nintendo were to release the games we know about this year and throw a surprise or two our way, we'll be in for a really solid year for the Wii U.

I'm calling a Star Fox announcement. And I'm expecting Miyamoto's new IP to release this fall, whatever the hell it is, and to top it off, I expect to hear more about Nintendo leasing out their first party IP to more developers.

I also think Watch Dogs is going to be the last game Ubisoft releases for the Wii U, at least for the time being.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Nintendo said they're willing to give some of their IPs to 3rd parties, so given that i'm pretty sure we'll see F-zero and star fox at some point, and Nintendo has stated they know fans want those games.

Retro could be working on anything, they've *hinted* at Metroid (if you can call Reggie wearing a metroid pin for the press when they were showing off DK a hint) but they've implied they're working on a franchise they haven't had a hand in yet. Since Star Fox hasn't gotten good results with 3rd parties so far, that'd be the one i'd bet on Retro working on more than F-zero, but I think they're working on something else. I want to think they're working on something else because I hope F-zero and star fox were already in development before Retro finished DK, these games need to come out fast! Retro surely won't be at e3 though

I'm trying to be cautious with my Zelda hype, but at the same time I can't help my expectations not be through the roof to make up for SS and WWHD.. I hope the reveal is worth the wait, but it won't come out this year.

Miyamoto might say something about the new IP, I don't know if we'll see it though.

Beyond those, I have no idea. I hope e3 has lots of surprises, beyond that I just want concrete release dates for already announced games. More than anything right now I want bayonetta 2, and a port of the first game would be fantastic and is hopefully coming.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: A Wii U Star Fox has potential to be fantastic. I would love to see one. I'm hopeful for F-Zero, but the chances of that are pretty iffy.

I completely forgot about Miyamoto's new IP. Hopefully it's a full-fledged, high quality game rather than a small downloadable one. Although going down the small downloadable route will be safer and there are definitely some amazing smaller titles, such as Pushmo, I feel like a new, grand adventure will generate more media hype. Something that can get its own place as a respected Nintendo IP.

I would not be surprised if Watch Dogs becomes the last. I'm seeing a decline in support from Ubisoft.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

wait & see..not hyping myself up - past showing has been mostly disappointing...already knew all the titles that has been announce...its only waiting for release dates. . The only downer will be Zelda U in the form of Toon Link like Wind Waker..that would be a bummer. :P

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4220 Posts

They better have something good, or you bet I won't be a happy happy hippo =}

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

You hoping for a Star Fox or Fzero game are going to be disappointed.

Nintendo will not be investing in the Wii U much as it's essentially throwing money down the drain. If anything, we're going to see them contract their IPs out and release some more HD remakes. Cheap alternatives that save them the work but still allow them to put out games.

I'd be highly surprised if they announce big new U IPs.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

I'm thinking we'll see a Hyrule Warriors reveal and release date this fall, Zelda U will be next year

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#10 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

yarn yoshi

hyrule warriors

x
zelda u

mariokart 8

super smash bros 4

bayonetta 2

Madmangamer364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Madmangamer364
Member since 2006 • 3716 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

You hoping for a Star Fox or Fzero game are going to be disappointed.

Nintendo will not be investing in the Wii U much as it's essentially throwing money down the drain. If anything, we're going to see them contract their IPs out and release some more HD remakes. Cheap alternatives that save them the work but still allow them to put out games.

I'd be highly surprised if they announce big new U IPs.

I agree more along the lines of this... not entirely, but I think this is the most logical explanation so far. Right now, it's hard to see what Nintendo is willing to develop for the Wii U, as hardly any software is selling well enough to prove itself as a meaningful investment. It's a pickle that's even tougher than in the GameCube era, where Nintendo played it very safe and used Mario at every possible turn. Since it seems unlikely that Nintendo has an offering that can actually turn the system's fortunes around, I think it only makes sense that the company will just try to keep things as simple and cheap as possible.

I still think there's a chance for a game like Star Fox or F-Zero, if only to help with a software drought at some point, much like Assault and GX were years ago, but I don't expect them to be "major" titles in any sense of the word, outside to desperate Wii U/F-Zero/Star Fox fans. I'm also not expect any huge new IP or concept to be in the system's cards, given its current situation, nor do I think Nintendo has the time or faith in the system to go all-out and release every IP with an ounce of relevance on the Wii U during its lifetime. Nintendo's going to pick and choose what it works on, based on what poses as either the best gain for them or the smallest loss moving forward.

I always find it both funny and baffling when people say Nintendo's at its best when it's desperate, as that's not how I see Nintendo's top-quality work at all. The best Nintendo is when it's able to take risk because of a healthy platform or situation and come up with something unexpected to blow people away. In the case of the GCN and now, the Wii U, it seems like Nintendo hides into a corner and tries to survive on brand power, as opposed to great experiences.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: Well I forget who is working on Yoshi Land U (Yarn Yoshi), and Miyamoto is still working on his new IP. Sakurai SHOULD take a break after Smash Bros, his wrist is really damaged lol. He deserves a break. After that maybe a Kirby Wii U game from him? Also New Super Mario Bros U 2 will be announced at E3 I just know it...To much freaking Mario.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

Nope Zelda HD this year.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: Well I forget who is working on Yoshi Land U (Yarn Yoshi), and Miyamoto is still working on his new IP. Sakurai SHOULD take a break after Smash Bros, his wrist is really damaged lol. He deserves a break. After that maybe a Kirby Wii U game from him? Also New Super Mario Bros U 2 will be announced at E3 I just know it...To much freaking Mario.

I think we're done with Mario for awhile, thankfully. Nintendo's always been very adamant about only releasing one New Super Mario game for every console.

Yarn Yoshi is being developed by the same people who did Kirby's Epic Yarn. I hope it's not as easy. I'm really holding out for Miyamoto's new game. It's been awhile. I want to see it, at the very least, but I think it's coming out this year.

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#15 GordanChoong
Member since 2014 • 227 Posts

@Chozofication said:

Nintendo said they're willing to give some of their IPs to 3rd parties, so given that i'm pretty sure we'll see F-zero and star fox at some point, and Nintendo has stated they know fans want those games.

Retro could be working on anything, they've *hinted* at Metroid (if you can call Reggie wearing a metroid pin for the press when they were showing off DK a hint) but they've implied they're working on a franchise they haven't had a hand in yet. Since Star Fox hasn't gotten good results with 3rd parties so far, that'd be the one i'd bet on Retro working on more than F-zero, but I think they're working on something else. I want to think they're working on something else because I hope F-zero and star fox were already in development before Retro finished DK, these games need to come out fast! Retro surely won't be at e3 though

I'm trying to be cautious with my Zelda hype, but at the same time I can't help my expectations not be through the roof to make up for SS and WWHD.. I hope the reveal is worth the wait, but it won't come out this year.

Miyamoto might say something about the new IP, I don't know if we'll see it though.

Beyond those, I have no idea. I hope e3 has lots of surprises, beyond that I just want concrete release dates for already announced games. More than anything right now I want bayonetta 2, and a port of the first game would be fantastic and is hopefully coming.

Shigeru Miyamoto has already retired since the release of Skyward Sword back in 2011, although his name is mentioned and credited in many of the WiiU and 3DS games that came out in 2012. So no, he will not appear at E3 nor will you see him in any future games in the credits. I kind of do miss him though because now the games are becoming even more shitty with him gone and as Iwata as the Producer and Director now for many upcoming games. They did say that a F-Zero game might come out in 2015 due to fan requests, and that Retro Studios might work on either a new Metroid game or a new cross-over game invloving StarFox and Metroid combined. Zelda will definitley be announced this year at E3 but it probably won't be coming out until 2016 cause it takes alot of time and effort to make such masterpieces. From many rumours on the web, they say the next-gen Zelda is like a sequel to Twlight Princess and offers just as much freedom as A Link Between Worlds with the dungoens, and even includes features like gibberish voice acting and HD visuals and gamepad abilities.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

I don't know. I've been trying to figure them out since 2008 still believing they have some master plan, some ultra grade A title in the works behind the scenes. Something that will rekindle Nintendo's old flame of creativity. Something that makes me say "**** yeah! I want that title!". After all this time, it feels like I'm fooling myself into believing that's gonna happen and that they really have a quality grand scheme though...

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

I did not read all the post but the creators of 3d world have already stated that they are working on the next mario game.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IMAHAPYHIPPO

@gordanchoong said:

@Chozofication said:

Shigeru Miyamoto has already retired since the release of Skyward Sword back in 2011, although his name is mentioned and credited in many of the WiiU and 3DS games that came out in 2012. So no, he will not appear at E3 nor will you see him in any future games in the credits. I kind of do miss him though because now the games are becoming even more shitty with him gone and as Iwata as the Producer and Director now for many upcoming games. They did say that a F-Zero game might come out in 2015 due to fan requests, and that Retro Studios might work on either a new Metroid game or a new cross-over game invloving StarFox and Metroid combined. Zelda will definitley be announced this year at E3 but it probably won't be coming out until 2016 cause it takes alot of time and effort to make such masterpieces. From many rumours on the web, they say the next-gen Zelda is like a sequel to Twlight Princess and offers just as much freedom as A Link Between Worlds with the dungoens, and even includes features like gibberish voice acting and HD visuals and gamepad abilities.

I have never read so many false things. Miyamoto definitely has not retired. That Star Fox/Metroid game was a false rumor from like... 2010, I believe. 2016 release for Zelda seems like an exaggeration, and there's no indication there will ever be a sequel to Twilight Princess, nor has anyone mentioned anything about voice acting.

GordanChoong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#19 GordanChoong
Member since 2014 • 227 Posts

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@gordanchoong said:

@Chozofication said:

I have never read so many false things. Miyamoto definitely has not retired. That Star Fox/Metroid game was a false rumor from like... 2010, I believe. 2016 release for Zelda seems like an exaggeration, and there's no indication there will ever be a sequel to Twilight Princess, nor has anyone mentioned anything about voice acting.

Okay, that was before I found out he still never retired and simply had a smaller role in the company so that his name is not mentioned in the credits of many WiiU and 3DS games. Actually that rumour was from 2012 and turned out to be false. Now there was another rumour of a possible Metroid game, but it turned out that Retro Studios was making another DKC game for the WiiU instead. However, they might make a new Metroid game sometime in the future. That isn't really an exaggeration, seeing how Twilight Princess was announced in 2005 for the Game-Cube but wasn't released for the Game-Cube until 2007. Also, SSBB was delayed several times before finally releasing in December 2008. Again, those are just rumours speculated by fans and from leaked documents from the game developers.