gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

I never liked the first one, it came out when I was a kid but I hated the whole 2D trying to be 3D effect. It used to just make me feel sick playing and I thought the handling was crap. So the first Mario Kart I ever loved was 64, but going back to that now is rather hard, especially with the most broken A.I and all the bugs it had. However I really loved 64 for the Battle Mode and I think the track design and overall feel was so unique to the series.

I played Double Dash for a bit, but it had such bad music, I found a lot of the tracks to be duds, it didn't have online in a time where online was becoming big on console and I hated the cart designs and physics of them. If I had to pick my worst it would be Double Dash, I couldn't stand it and I remember everyone at the time just saying how bad it was.

It is really funny now though as all the kids who grew up with Double Dash, they're now at the age where they dominate the comments on the internet. So Double Dash being their first Mario Kart game is still their favourite, just weird how that game has made a sudden rise to popularity after being hated by my generation for so long.... it'll be the Wii version next.

I didn't touch the DS, Wii and found the 3DS version to be horribly generic... that whole 10 years or so of MK just went by me.

The clear winner for me though is 8.

It really feels like it went back to the series roots but made improvements which made the game feel more serious, balanced and competitive. The tracks feel a lot more like the 64 in design, they're not all enclosed like Double Dash, they're really wide open. The physics seems like it got the perfect balance, by far the best feeling Mario Kart I've played. I really love how they've done the items and just balanced it all so well. There is no more bullshit A.I or blue shells any more, if you're in first you'll often win and not get screwed over.

It has the best mix of tracks, the best music, graphics, the online actually is there and it works... as well as a Nintendo game can any ways. The only downer is the battle mode, but no one cared about it any ways, they would have done better just getting rid of it altogether. Even the DLC has been amazing, not only for a Nintendo game but they've done a better job than any one else in my recent memory.

I love Donut Plains and that new Rainbow Road, they're just so tight and bendy and I always win on them lol.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts
@gajbutler said:

The only downer is the battle mode, but no one cared about it any ways, they would have done better just getting rid of it altogether.

Bullshit. I definitely cared about how crappy the battle mode in Mario Kart 8 was. When done correctly, like in Mario Kart 64, battle mode can be more fun than the racing and it is a huge disappointment that Nintendo did not put any effort into Mario Kart 8's battle mode; even with the DLC content, they are still not doing anything for battle mode. Battle mode is half of the game, so I consider Mario Kart 8 to be a lazy effort from Nintendo.

Mario Kart 64 is my favorite for battle mode and Mario Kart Wii is my favorite for racing mode.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

SNES - the only one with a 200cc option, 64 had the best battle mode though

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

I think 8 is probably my favourite too. I think it has the best tracks overall, and the DLC is such a huge boost in that respect.

Before that, I probably played 64 the most. 7 was a bit of a disappointment. Doubledash was fairly good. I think to this day, the GBA game has the highest metacritic rating. That's the only one I haven't played.

As for the worst, maybe Mario Kart Wii?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

The game I've had the most fun with when it got released is Double Dash. So, I guess I have to say that one is my favourite. However, today I'd much rather play Mario Kart 8, which is fantastic as well. No battle-mode (I know there is one, I'm ignoring it beacuse of the suckage) is a pretty big problem with the game, though. I do not understand why Nintendo doesn't take everything sweet they have made for the MK franchise and put all those things in one game.. I mean, if they just copied the battle-mode of Double Dash, Mario Kart 8 would've been so much more awesome.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

That's a tough question. It's between: DD, Wii and 8. I can't decide though.

Avatar image for Undue_Influence
Undue_Influence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Undue_Influence
Member since 2011 • 72 Posts

My personal preference is Mario Kart on SNES, purely for sentimental reasons as it is one of my most played child hood games. Really liked the original tracks in that game, although Mario Kart 64 also holds a special place as the battle mode was the best battle mode and made local multiplayer and public holidays with the family a lot of fun.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@nini200 said:

yup best battle mode 64....racing was awesome too.

but mario kart 8 looks so pretty and smooth online...best one for me (for racing)

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

@nini200 said:

yup best battle mode 64....racing was awesome too.

but mario kart 8 looks so pretty and smooth online...best one for me (for racing)

Yeah MK8 looks and plays great but I really loved the speed of that 200cc on the SNES version. It was intense. 64 had the best battle mode for sure (Although Diddy Kong Racing 64's battle mode was far superior but as far as Mario Kart titles, yep MK64 was it for battle mode).

Didn't like the racing in MK64 at all. The stats were totally wrong. Bowser and DK were supposed to be the fast ones that turn bad and start off slow but they made Peach and Yoshi the fastest with virtually the best turning and the fastest acceleration while Bowser and DK were slow, turned bad and started the slowest. That alone made me not like the racing in MK64 much at all.

The stage design in MK64 was good though.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

It would be Mario Kart DS because I was able to get all stars in all cups.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

64 by a mile