what is the youngest age for kids to play DS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

katie_tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 katie_tm
Member since 2007 • 65 Posts

hi, i am thinking about getting maybe the dora/diego games for my niece who is only 4 coming to 5 years old? but i am just a bit worried if it is too early for kids that young to play DS??? please advice. thanks.

gamelover1211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 gamelover1211
Member since 2008 • 144 Posts

i started playing ds at age 4.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

gamelover1211

Then you must be pretty young 0.0 especially for this site.

Da_Skull_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 Da_Skull_King
Member since 2009 • 4322 Posts
i know some kids i would trust with any game system until they are like 8 my neighbors have a 5 year old and he's been the cause of pretty much every console they've ever broken, hes only good with a GBA
Dash_Jr3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 Dash_Jr3
Member since 2009 • 148 Posts

It depends on the person you get a DS for, but I think 5 years old is the right age to be playing Dora/Diego games. However, the DS Lite breaks easily, so you might want to buy your neice a used DS Phat. It may be bigger and have darker screens, but it's built like a tank and is easier to hold. Hope I helped!

Da_Skull_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Da_Skull_King
i forgot to mention this but i let him play with ds once and he stabbed the touch screen, i think it depends on how gentle your kid is with stuff, i started playing my GBC when i was 7 btw(first game experience) make sure you limit the time spend with the game or he will end up like me, obsessed
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
I noticed that 4 to 5 years old girl played DS Lite while her older brother held it for her. I still knew that DS Lite would be broken often than DS Phat.
Da_Skull_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Da_Skull_King
well actually you might not spend alot of time with your neice to limit time with the game, but i see my neice almost every day and i take care of her for alot of the time(shes 1 and a 1/2
katie_tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 katie_tm

wow thanks guys. i never consider the fact that the DS lite breaks easily. was only concerned if starting to play that early will make her a game maniac or something in the future...

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

I personally don't consider a DS Lite or other portable game system for kids of of 5 years even if there are Dora and Diego's games available for it, those kids companies launch these games that are poorly made and then make parent's think the systems are good for kids. It' would be somewhat OK for a kid of like 10 to 12 years, these systems are very fragile, kids of 4 and 5 years doesn't even know to read well and many of the features and games for the DS and others systems are complicated for them to play and understand.

pikaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 pikaby
Member since 2006 • 12720 Posts

Kids' games are made for kids for a reason. They're simple enough for them to understand and enjoy. And you can always avoid him or her fiddling around with the DS' features by setting it to boot the game automatically the minute he learns how to turn the DS on.

sagax03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#12 sagax03
Member since 2008 • 230 Posts

seriously dude i got my first game system when i was 3 and a half with the genesis and sonic the hedgehog and please dont get your neice a dora or whatever that other girls name is game.there badly made and kids wont like it. Suggestion:Yes get your neice a DS 2nd best console for kids but get the original and DEFINITLYNOT a DSI,to complacated for her and my game suggestion for her:get her nintednogs Daunchen and friends and New Super Mario Bros.kids like that stuff.oh yeah and from what ive seen at the YMCA im working at part time kids love mario kart DS.

hooded1man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 hooded1man
Member since 2004 • 1099 Posts

Doesnt matter when, I started playing video games when I was 3. I wasnt great but I did play them, didnt help that the games I owned for Turbo Graphix were insanely hard though. Ive got 2 younger cousins and they got there own PS2 when they were 4 and 3, and they play games like GTA (there girls). Ive got 2 nephews however, which arent allowed to play games at all, because my sister doesnt want them to be like me lol, so put your parental skills to a test and figure it out for yourself.

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KurodaMurasaki
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts

I see really young kids have DS Lites, but I don't think it's such a good idea. Kids may get addicted and stay inside all day. I say ruin children's lives when they're about 10 or so. Getting introduced to gaming so young took too much time from me when I could've been socializing. It's great if you make sure kids only plays casually. Age 4-5? That sounds crazy. That is way too young. I dove into gaming at age 8-9. If you insist, I don't suggest getting a original DS. Kids are very visual, especially girls. The original DS is really heavy and ugly. The DS Lite is quite durable, and Nintendo insists that it's even more durable. Though that doesn't make much sense to me. Ever think of getting her a Gameboy Micro? Those are definitely really durable... Or an SP!... Or nothing.

gamelover1211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamelover1211
Member since 2008 • 144 Posts
[QUOTE="Gaming-Planet"]

[QUOTE="gamelover1211"]

no i mean i played the nintendo snes and the nintendo 64 and the gameboy color.
Avatar image for KillerVengeance
KillerVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KillerVengeance
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="gamelover1211"][QUOTE="Gaming-Planet"]

[QUOTE="gamelover1211"]

no i mean i played the nintendo snes and the nintendo 64 and the gameboy color.

that makes more sense..... and as for how old i'd say it depends on how responsible they are... and if they can read or not
Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

4 or 5 should be ok I think. Met a 5 year old who was playing Mario and Luigi Partners in Time but couldn't read so he just kept skipping the cutscenes. He didn't seem addicted to his DS. He would turn it off and play outside when he got bored or couldn't beat a level.

katie_tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 katie_tm

what about those Interactive Story book series?? Heard there are actually stories that are read out to you and you can point and click and the pictures will interact with you. would those be more suitable??

Serentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Serentor
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

it really matters what game you are going to give them, like resident evil isnt really perfect for them lol, but really, any age can start to play the ds, just select kiddy games, thats why nintendo released so many. for example pokemon is popular, they are cute animal like things and need to think with the puzzles, i loved them when i was a kid and played the old versions like red etc., Jump and runs like mario is really good too, although they shouldnt be too young, they might get pissed off like i did when i died 50 times at the same places lol, also i dont know if little ghost like balls scare them either lol.

a great game for kids, nintendogs, its cute, get to play with a dog and train it. but yea, search for some of them. google a bit or just browse on the ds section.

hope that helped =)

magitekk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 magitekk
Member since 2009 • 3959 Posts

Can a five year old even read? If not, it's best if you don't get her a DS...they're also quite fragile, and I don't believe a child of that age can really have a grasp on the concept of "value" (meaning younger children are more likely to break things without believing that there is a cost to it)

KurodaMurasaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KurodaMurasaki
Member since 2008 • 1670 Posts

Can a five year old even read? If not, it's best if you don't get her a DS...they're also quite fragile, and I don't believe a child of that age can really have a grasp on the concept of "value" (meaning younger children are more likely to break things without believing that there is a cost to it)

magitekk

Good point... Although I find it really odd that 5 year-olds don't know how to read. I was taught how to do math and read at age 3... Maybe it's just my extreme parents. XD

Anyway, I've never heard of storybook games. Cooking Mama, Nintendogs, possible Mario... games like those. Really you can't go wrong buying any kiddy game for a 4 year- old. Disregard reviews, since being children will probably get into anything repetitive or boring for adults. Really though... Age 4-5... So many buttons...

Me2nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Me2nice
Member since 2008 • 459 Posts
No age is too young; they have games for kids as early as 2 years of age so you should be fine. Just be sure to research games (on the internet) in advance.
Imsterminate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Imsterminate
Member since 2009 • 405 Posts

I think 6-7 years would probably be the best age. If you get them consoles when they're young they will probably need glasses by 12 and all they'll do is play when they're older.

jch30920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jch30920
Member since 2009 • 58 Posts

I've seen 5 year old kids playing a ds, i dont think they can take care of them though.

jscoleman1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jscoleman1979
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
My 3 year old has been playing DS and PSP for over a year. It's actually helping him learn to read. It's all about balance. Does he enjoy video games? Of course. Is that all he does? No way. He plays basketball and is starting soccer this year. His game time is of course limited, but it's also taught him how to take care of things. He's lost his privileges a few times, but hes never destroyed or ruined any of it.
FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts
my 6 yr old cousin has a psp slim and dsl
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts
No age is too young; they have games for kids as early as 2 years of age so you should be fine. Just be sure to research games (on the internet) in advance.Me2nice
Haha, very funny i can't imagine a 2 year's old kid playing with a DS.
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

Like 4-5. When I went to get my DSi at midnight, everyone was like 40+ (I'm 15)...