What is Retro Studios REALLY up to?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZyroXZ2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 ZyroXZ2
Member since 2014 • 92 Posts

Having posted my video review of DKC:TF just yesterday, something occurred to me that I wanted to mention...

I sat through the credits, and watched them roll in their entirety. This game had a rather small staff. With Retro Studios being rumored to be closer to 100 employees, I can't help but think that this game was done with a smaller team, while the rest of the employees were either helping Nintendo with other projects, or are, in fact, developing another game silently. Anyone else who watched the credits is welcome to chime in! Do you think Retro Studios is working on another game or just assisting other Nintendo projects?

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

@zyroxz2: Well, if you go by this, then yes. Yes, they are!

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@zyroxz2: im hoping theyre working on a brand new IP....metroid prime and dk were great but id love to see them get the chance to create their own work.

ZyroXZ2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ZyroXZ2

I know, what funky timing... Right after I post that, an article answering my concerns...

*facepalm* Haha :P

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

@jcrame10:

While a new IP would be nice, I don't think Wii U owners would take it well. Look at Wonderful 101.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

I predict a new Metroid Prime is coming to appease Western gamers. People in the US love FPS's. I don't care for FPS's but I loved Metroid Prime!

Plus they would probably throw online multiplayer in there too.

Imagine a Metroid Prime in HD. I need this.

_HazBro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 _HazBro_
Member since 2014 • 125 Posts

I'd be incredibly disappointed if the were working on another Donkey Kong game or another Metroid Prime game. I wouldn't mind a 2D Metroid game from Retro, but to be honest I'd rather see them do something else.

That could be a new IP or another revival of an older IP from Nintendo's history - Star Fox and F-Zero come into mind, but it'd be interesting to see them go way left field and make an RPG or something.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Steameffekt: well thats dumb and hopefully not true. Nintendo is dying for some new franchises.

Although I've only played the demo, Wonderful 101 didn't seem too horrible. Just a Pikmin knock-off. I wonder how a new first party nintendo title would fair though?

ZyroXZ2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZyroXZ2

@jcrame10 said:

@Steameffekt: well thats dumb and hopefully not true. Nintendo is dying for some new franchises.

Although I've only played the demo, Wonderful 101 didn't seem too horrible. Just a Pikmin knock-off. I wonder how a new first party nintendo title would fair though?

W101 couldn't be farther from Pikmin 3 as CoD is from Mario, and I'm being dead serious, lol

About the mystery game, I think it could be another revival... Think about it:

Retro Studios revives Metroid with the Metroid Prime trilogy, revives DKC with DKCR and DKC:TF (perhaps a 3rd is also in the works?), revives old IP for the Wii U.

The pattern works, and could become entirely true, lol

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

Dinosaur Planet

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Retro has been working on another game since DKC TF went gold...Metroid.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Master_Of_Fools

@roboccs: Metroid Prime was a FPA not FPS...

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

If it's another Metroid Prime I hope this one uses more than two colors. MP3 had several planets but they were all blue and orange.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

@Master_Of_Fools: I didn't even know there was a term for MP... So u just put FPS because you are in the first person view, and you shoot... I know it is much more than that. The games were great.

ZyroXZ2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZyroXZ2

@Master_Of_Fools said:

While I personally love the Metroid Prime series, they are more FPS than anything else. You shoot at basically everything hostile, so "shooter" is a fitting term.

People tried to coin "FPA" to Metroid Prime to give it some distinction, but FPA belongs to games that clearly don't utilize weaponry of the projectile kind at all (think Myst, as old as that is, lol).

If it weren't for the fact that a good majority of the game is combat, in which you shoot at your enemies, I'd go with FPA too, but quite frankly, that's just not accurate. It is no doubt an FPS.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@Master_Of_Fools said:

Anyone that says this is being ridiculous. Metoid Prime is first person and you shoot at thing extremely often. Yeah, it is more of an adventure game than most FPS games are, but it fits every criteria of an FPS. It's and FPS.

Open world games like STALKER and Far Cry 3 have far more "adventuring" (apparently multiple linear paths like in MP make games "adventure games") than Metroid Prime yet they're still classified as FPS games, because they are.

Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Master_Of_Fools

@Toxic-Seahorse: FPS is locked to competitive multiplayer shooters. PERIOD. Cant be discussed.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@Master_Of_Fools said:

Anyone that says this is being ridiculous. Metoid Prime is first person and you shoot at thing extremely often. Yeah, it is more of an adventure game than most FPS games are, but it fits every criteria of an FPS. It's and FPS.

Open world games like STALKER and Far Cry 3 have far more "adventuring" (apparently multiple linear paths like in MP make games "adventure games") than Metroid Prime yet they're still classified as FPS games, because they are.

It depends on whether you mean as a technicality or a genre placement. Even as the latter it isn't wrong but it also isn't an apt description.

More than anything I would call metroid prime an environmental puzzle.

If they make another metroid prime, they better work on the shooting aspect because it was so weak in the prime games.

Neonakaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Neonakaa
Member since 2013 • 90 Posts

Blowing Coke.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts