What if Nintendo discontinues the Wii U this month?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mario-galaxys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mario-galaxys
Member since 2011 • 574 Posts

This is a question for those who currently own a Wii U as I do.

What if Nintendo unexpectedly discontinues the Wii U due to poor sales this month and also decides that upcoming games like Bayonetta 2 and "X" are cancelled for the system. These games will be released instead on Nintendo's upcoming console (whatever it is called). Would anyone be happy if this happened?

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

I highly doubt anyone will be happy. I currently don't own a Wii U, but if I did, I would have been even more pissed if Bayonetta 2, X, and any other upcoming Wii U game were delayed to who knows when.

If they simply port it to a more powerful console without doing any significant changes, then people will rage because they will need to buy another console to play games that were supposed to be released on a console they already bought. If they do vastly improve the games and make use of the new console's hardware, then they will need additional time to develop the games, therefore a complete software drought for Nintendo's console.

If Nintendo unexpectedly discontinues the Wii U due to poor sales, they will be doing MUCH MORE harm than actually trying to support the Wii U. No good will come out of this.

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

i think wiiu will get discontinued in 2 years. too bad gamers in general did not accept the system. i love the wiiu but as long as they release bayonetta 2, x, smash, mario kart and a next gen metroid and zelda they can discontinued and i wont care.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

impossible, it'll at least last until 2016, at the absolute earliest.

Nintendo needs another powerhouse console with better tools and developer support, and they'll be golden. We'll see how these backwards inward looking execs handle things, though...

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I'll finish the games I have on it and wait to see what is next for them and the competition.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@pc-ps360 said:

i think wiiu will get discontinued in 2 years. too bad gamers in general did not accept the system. i love the wiiu but as long as they release bayonetta 2, x, smash, mario kart and a next gen metroid and zelda they can discontinued and i wont care.

this...just give me smash and mario kart...and keep the online going for years and ill be fine.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TransformerRobo
Member since 2011 • 549 Posts

@mario-galaxys said:

This is a question for those who currently own a Wii U as I do.

What if Nintendo unexpectedly discontinues the Wii U due to poor sales this month and also decides that upcoming games like Bayonetta 2 and "X" are cancelled for the system. These games will be released instead on Nintendo's upcoming console (whatever it is called). Would anyone be happy if this happened?

I'd be extremely pissed off.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

That'd be the worst business decision ever. To waste that much money on R&D for the Wii U and to invest that much again on a new console and have to wait 2-3 years to release it, then on top of that move the games over to the new platform... such an utter waste.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@haziqonfire said:

That'd be the worst business decision ever. To waste that much money on R&D for the Wii U and to invest that much again on a new console and have to wait 2-3 years to release it, then on top of that move the games over to the new platform... such an utter waste.

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS and we know the console sales are killing the company. The Vita had a better overall library last year and the PS4/Vita marriage seems like one that will benefit both sides. That's not even bringing up tablets and smartphones getting better and more sophisticated games.

Nintendo is focused entirely on trying to compensate for the Wii U. They can't do anything for their brand overall, they just have to keep on plodding to cover whatever they're losing on the Wii U.

We already know that Nintendo starts it's next console the second the current one is out the door so they've been at it for about a year now.

Someone there is going to have to make the decision about the Wii U and if it's better to cut their losses and start fresh with a new console.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TransformerRobo

@Jaysonguy said:

@haziqonfire said:

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS and we know the console sales are killing the company. The Vita had a better overall library last year and the PS4/Vita marriage seems like one that will benefit both sides. That's not even bringing up tablets and smartphones getting better and more sophisticated games.

Nintendo is focused entirely on trying to compensate for the Wii U. They can't do anything for their brand overall, they just have to keep on plodding to cover whatever they're losing on the Wii U.

We already know that Nintendo starts it's next console the second the current one is out the door so they've been at it for about a year now.

Someone there is going to have to make the decision about the Wii U and if it's better to cut their losses and start fresh with a new console.

But I thought that only worked when the Virtual Boy flopped.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#12 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I wouldn't be too happy, and I would start going around and buy all the WiiU games currently available since they'll be somewhat sought after the console would get canned.

Even the obscure games that no one would buy, they would be the rarest.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@haziqonfire said:

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS and we know the console sales are killing the company. The Vita had a better overall library last year

Jason confirmed for living in bizarro world

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jaysonguy

@Shinobishyguy said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@haziqonfire said:

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS and we know the console sales are killing the company. The Vita had a better overall library last year

You'll want to do your research

Vita games scored higher overall than 3DS games, that means that not only was the library better top to bottom but those scores helped get many developers and publishers extra money because of incentives.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TransformerRobo

@Jaysonguy said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@haziqonfire said:

I don't see it as that.

Vita games scored higher overall than 3DS games, that means that not only was the library better top to bottom but those scores helped get many developers and publishers extra money because of incentives.

Yet the 3DS has sold less than 43 million units in 2 years. The Vita has done only 7 million in over a year and a half.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@haziqonfire said:

I don't see it as that.

It's hardly better "top to bottom" when it comes to retail exclusives the 3ds cleaned house this year.

And if those "extra incentives" were so important why aren't we seeing devs flocking to the vita in droves?

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

If they discontinued the Wii U, there would be no point in them making a new console. Wii U gamers would feel jaded and rightfully so. They would not support Nintendo's next console out of fear of it happening all over again and Nintendo doing them wrong already. No, Nintendo is stuck with their failure of a system for at least a few more years before it would be safe for them to release another console.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa

@Jaysonguy said:

@haziqonfire said:

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS

I stopped reading right there. Please share your drugs with me. I want to be as mentally fucked up right now as you clearly are.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TransformerRobo

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@haziqonfire said:

I don't see it as that.

Nintendo is losing it's footing with the 3DS

I stopped reading right there. Please share your drugs with me. I want to be as mentally fucked up right now as you clearly are.

This.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#20  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

@haziqonfire said:

It would also kill consumer confidence in Nintendo. The millions who already bought a Wii U, Nintendo diehards, would get shafted and that's not an audience Nintendo should ever try to alienate. The best thing they can do is ride it out and make it work to the best of their ability. Cancelling the system early would come back to bite them later.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 haziqonfire

@Jaysonguy said:

I don't see it as that.

The 3DS is the one thing keeping them going and giving them financial freedom. I guess if you're comparing it to last generation, it's obviously not going to meet DS sales -- but it's a healthy platform with great numbers. I don't really see how you can see it any other way.

Consumers speak with their wallets, so I don't really see the point of bringing up Vita software scores. That doesn't really matter with this debate. Let's not forget that before the 3DS came out everyone was debating whether or not a dedicated handheld could co-exist in a market where smartphones and tablets thrive, but it's become quite obvious that it can.

I don't really think it's best to start over so soon, though I wouldn't be surprised if they had a shorter life cycle than usual (4 years like the original Xbox I guess).

They'd waste less money now riding out the storm than trying to quickly come up with something for release in 2015/2016.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TransformerRobo

@haziqonfire said:

@Jaysonguy said:

I don't see it as that.

The 3DS is the one thing keeping them going and giving them financial freedom. I guess if you're comparing it to last generation, it's obviously not going to meet DS sales -- but it's a healthy platform with great numbers. I don't really see how you can see it any other way.

Consumers speak with their wallets, so I don't really see the point of bringing up Vita software scores. That doesn't really matter with this debate. Let's not forget that before the 3DS came out everyone was debating whether or not a dedicated handheld could co-exist in a market where smartphones and tablets thrive, but it's become quite obvious that it can.

I don't really think it's best to start over so soon, though I wouldn't be surprised if they had a shorter life cycle than usual (4 years like the original Xbox I guess).

They'd waste less money now riding out the storm than trying to quickly come up with something for release in 2015/2016.

Hear hear!

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KBFloYd

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

If they discontinued the Wii U, there would be no point in them making a new console. Wii U gamers would feel jaded and rightfully so. They would not support Nintendo's next console out of fear of it happening all over again and Nintendo doing them wrong already. No, Nintendo is stuck with their failure of a system for at least a few more years before it would be safe for them to release another console.

id buy a new console this year if they made it...

im sure all the nintendo die hards would....i see people buying multiple wiiUs...just for the packaging.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24  Edited By good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

The Wii U isn't setting any records, but I really don't think things are that bad for them.

I personally would hate it.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

No would not be happy & won't be buying their next *whatever they come up to replace Wii U*console..Not forking out another $400+AUD ..that will be mean I'd be spending $800+AUD dollars excluding 3DS already just on Nintendo. Next $$$ I will be spending on is PS4.

calway55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 calway55
Member since 2010 • 382 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

Thanks for your rational reply. I agree.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Never going to happen in a million years. Nintendo could never make a penny on the Wii U, they wont cancel it and move on to something else, they are waaaaaay to stubborn, even if only Nintendo employees were the only people in the world to buy a Wii U, Nintendo would still focus on it, cause they do their stuff their way they don't give a damn about others and what they have to say (Michael Patcher) Wii U sales have been low, yes, have then been absolute garbage? No. It will be a Gamecube again and that's not a bad thing. No system will ever replicate the Wii sales.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By haziqonfire

@KBFloYd: You're alone on this one bub lol. They'd piss off a lot of early adopters.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KBFloYd

@haziqonfire said:

@KBFloYd: You're alone on this one bub lol. They'd piss off a lot of early adopters.

not alone...just in the minority.

money is an issue i bet.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AmazonTreeBoa

@KBFloYd said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

id buy a new console this year if they made it...

im sure all the nintendo die hards would....i see people buying multiple wiiUs...just for the packaging.

Yes and with just the die-hards, they would be right back in the same boat they are in now with the Wii U. Low sells, which in turn means no third party support. So congrats Nintendo has failed yet again.

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts

Oh, my fucking god. The system isn't doing THAT badly.

You might as well ask "what if the world ends this month?"

Because, honestly, I think there's a higher statistical chance of the world ending than Nintendo discontinuing the Wii U this month.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Wii U will not be replaced by Nintendo with a new console until 2016/2017. By then they can have a powerful and cheap system with more power than PS4 easily.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I would not be happy.

And I will buy the next console.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TransformerRobo

@Bigboi500 said:

Wii U will not be replaced by Nintendo with a new console until 2016/2017. By then they can have a powerful and cheap system with more power than PS4 easily.

Yeah, but they'll have to make it even more powerful than that, because afterwards, naturally the PS5 will arrive to give Nintendo trouble.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jaysonguy

@Master_Of_Fools said:

It will be a Gamecube again and that's not a bad thing.

You're going to want to research that

The Gamecube almost killed Nintendo. If not for the DS there would be no Nintendo thanks to the Gamecube.

There is NOTHING good about the Gamecube

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AmazonTreeBoa

@Animatronic64 said:

Because, honestly, I think there's a higher statistical chance of the world ending than Nintendo discontinuing the Wii U this month.

Yes the system is doing THAT badly. Stop living in denial.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jaysonguy

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Animatronic64 said:

Yes it is.

The fact that you fail to understand basic math makes you unable to partake in this conversation.

The console has set all time industry records for futility.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TransformerRobo

@Jaysonguy said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Animatronic64 said:

Yes it is.

The fact that you fail to understand basic math makes you unable to partake in this conversation.

Where are these records?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jaysonguy

@TransformerRobo said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Animatronic64 said:

Yes it is.

Where are these records?

Longest amount of time with no games.

Think of all the other failed game consoles. The 3DO, the Jaguar, the Pippin, they all had software regularly.

The Wii U on the other hand didn't have games, at all. It's not like it was all shovelware, it was nonexistent.

No one wants to make games for the console, worse yet no one wants to port games either.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

its 4 more years of the wiiu.

if they cancel it then they will be relying on just the 3DS for money. thats not enough.

they will also have no console presence in the market for a few years. even if they could get the console ready by the end of this year they would have no games made for it and 3rd parties would also have no lead time (so that article about developing for the wiiu...yea it would be a lot worse for the new console). it takes at least 2 years to make a game.

so there not going to discontinue it. they are going to focus on making a profit on the hardware (if they are not already) and the software, try and limit the damage and just suck it up. at least they can limit the damage while its on the market.

it wouldnt be the first time nintendo has done this and it wont be the last. lets just hope that they deliver something more appealing next time.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa

@Jaysonguy said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Animatronic64 said:

Yes it is.

This isn't SW, so please, stop being an idiot.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TransformerRobo

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Jaysonguy said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@Animatronic64 said:

Yes it is.

This isn't SW, so please, stop being an idiot.

SW?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jaysonguy

@osan0 said:

its 4 more years of the wiiu.

if they cancel it then they will be relying on just the 3DS for money. thats not enough.

they will also have no console presence in the market for a few years. even if they could get the console ready by the end of this year they would have no games made for it and 3rd parties would also have no lead time (so that article about developing for the wiiu...yea it would be a lot worse for the new console). it takes at least 2 years to make a game.

so there not going to discontinue it. they are going to focus on making a profit on the hardware (if they are not already) and the software, try and limit the damage and just suck it up. at least they can limit the damage while its on the market.

it wouldnt be the first time nintendo has done this and it wont be the last. lets just hope that they deliver something more appealing next time.

The 3DS is the only thing that's making them money

They'd have even more if the Wii U wasn't around. The 3DS allows Nintendo to operate and cover their losses from the Wii U.

What would they be losing?

Also all the "not enough time" isn't true. First of all it doesn't take 2 years to make a game and if Nintendo matched the horsepower of current gen devs could instantly add it to their list of multiplats. It would have games instantly just like the other consoles did.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

@Jaysonguy: yes but we are only into year 1 of the wiiu. over the 5 year life cycle they should still be able to get the overall project back into the black. if they can do it with the GC then they can do it with the wiiu. just get the cost of production down and keep plugging away.

and yes it does take 2 years to make a game (unless we are talking something simple). even with COD, which activision have down to a science and fart out every year, they still have 2 years in the oven.

and if nintendo make a console as strong as the PS4 and X1 and 3rd parties actually stop shooting themselves in the foot they are still going to be in a market that is apathetic to 3rd party games.

what you are suggesting is that nintendo scrap the wiiu, release a new console asap with no first party titles at launch (they wont be ready) and hope that people will buy the new console instead of the PS4, PC or X1 for 3rd party games (assumign 3rd parties are still bothered).

do you really see that working?

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TransformerRobo

@osan0 said:

@Jaysonguy: yes but we are only into year 1 of the wiiu. over the 5 year life cycle they should still be able to get the overall project back into the black. if they can do it with the GC then they can do it with the wiiu. just get the cost of production down and keep plugging away.

and yes it does take 2 years to make a game (unless we are talking something simple). even with COD, which activision have down to a science and fart out every year, they still have 2 years in the oven.

and if nintendo make a console as strong as the PS4 and X1 and 3rd parties actually stop shooting themselves in the foot they are still going to be in a market that is apathetic to 3rd party games.

what you are suggesting is that nintendo scrap the wiiu, release a new console asap with no first party titles at launch (they wont be ready) and hope that people will buy the new console instead of the PS4, PC or X1 for 3rd party games (assumign 3rd parties are still bothered).

do you really see that working?

I see it working-about as well as making Jar Jar Binks the protagonist of the New Star Wars.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TransformerRobo

Although I don't want the Wii U discontinued too soon, I do think this controller concept looks better than the Gamepad:

It looks more comfortable and less clunky.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c072abf2e969
deactivated-5c072abf2e969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5c072abf2e969
Member since 2009 • 249 Posts

if that happened, then I would never buy a Nintendo product ever again.

Luckily Nintendo have more sense than to do that.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

I don't think that's a good idea... but if the situation won't change dramatically, I can see them having a shorter life cycle.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TransformerRobo

@V3rciS said:

I don't think that's a good idea... but if the situation won't change dramatically, I can see them having a shorter life cycle.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is less than 6 weeks away, but it will help when it's released.